HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Mike Fisher to wear the "A"

Old
03-04-2012, 10:42 AM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Legwand should definitely not wear an A (yes, surprise I know). There are reasons Trotz/Poile have never really consider him for it. Fisher is the right choice.
Reasons that are not publicly disclosed? Are you referring to his DUI years ago?

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Reasons that are not publicly disclosed? Are you referring to his DUI years ago?
Nope, just his overall character.

Trotz/Poile have known Lewgand for 14 years and he's been a Predator for 14 years. They knew Fisher for 2 months and still gave him the A. Naturally, this board's response is "Trotz is an idiot".

14 years is enough to judge if a guy has leadership characteristics. Legwand wasn't even in the talks (Erat was runner up). Read into it what you will from that alone.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Nope, just his overall character.

Trotz/Poile have known Lewgand for 14 years and he's been a Predator for 14 years. They knew Fisher for 2 months and still gave him the A. Naturally, this board's response is "Trotz is an idiot".

14 years is enough to judge if a guy has leadership characteristics. Legwand wasn't even in the talks (Erat was runner up). Read into it what you will from that alone.
Yet Legwand has repeatedly worn the A on a temporary basis. It doesn't take a letter on a shirt to be looked to as a leader in the room.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 12:24 PM
klt2001

Maybe the same way he wasn't named Captain, maybe he wasn't named AC by Trotz:

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/5...-who-should-be

Still think he is great and adds to the team so I wouldn't mind if he was named AC especially since he's been w/ the Preds for a long time and helps them win games/scores but I'm happy w/ Mike being named AC though. Mike was AC for his former team the Senators and knew how to fit in that role. Maybe being C/AC just isn't Legwand's thing or what he prefers except just on occasions. Not everybody probably wants to be C/AC if it's required to talk to the media, speak on behalf of the team, or be more in a leadership role w/ added responsibilities, especially if he's a quiet person. I'm sure he's a great teammate though and a leader in the room behind closed doors and leads by example, especially w/ the experience he brings.

Trotz knows Legwand and this business better than anybody so I'll trust his judgment.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-04-2012 at 01:10 PM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Fisher's 15% shooting% is currently better than his career best. Fisher could hit 50 points despite missing 9 games. He has earned his letter this season.
It's based on leadership, not talent. If that were the case, erat would be captain for forwards as he is our most talented forward.

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 01:53 PM
klt2001

Here is what happened when Arnott was picked to be the Captain.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2010/4...-the-captaincy

So there needs to be the right kind of person to being a C/AC.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-04-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
03-04-2012, 01:53 PM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
It's based on leadership, not talent. If that were the case, erat would be captain for forwards as he is our most talented forward.
I agree. Just look at the above link I just posted as an example even though I wouldn't mind Erat being AC either . But I trust Trotz's judgment and I'm sure he's learned from past experience what type of person he's looking for to fill the role of C/AC. I'm sure it's great/easy being a C/AC when you/your team is winning but when it's not, then not so much. So got to have the right type of person that can lead/encourage others/his teammates whether they are winning or losing/not playing well including himself.

Here are the stats for each player by the way:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/stats.htm

Last edited by klt2001: 03-05-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old
03-04-2012, 08:46 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Shea Shea View Post
Having good numbers shouldn't have anything to do with wearing a letter. I look at the way Fisher plays and the example he sets on the ice as a bigger reason he has that letter. Glad to see he is putting up numbers, but the letters are more about leadership than shooting % and goals scored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
My comments were based on the assumption that we all already knew about his solid character. By earning it, I was more inferring that he's consistently producing relative to his skill level, TOI and salary. Without that the latter, his character & leadership would have come into question IMO.

Bottom line, Fisher has been one of Poile's best trades. (Fortunately, for Poile, Mrs. Fisher eliminated much of NSH competition for her husband's services.)

03-04-2012, 10:42 PM
klt2001

I'm sure Mike/Carrie being a well known couple/public couple also didn't hurt him being named AC since he probably draws more attention/media because of who he is married to than say Legwand does and that helps add to the franchise obtaining more viewers/fans/attention to the Preds. So I'm sure there was a combination of things as to why Mike was named AC over others. Probably both because of the business side (i.e. increasing viewership/ticket sales/media attention, etc) which has increased by the way and also the character/leadership side he can bring. Seems like Poile/Trotz's way to help the franchise grow just like they did w/ the big 3 (Weber/Suter/Peks).

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/76...-creating-buzz

Last edited by klt2001: 03-04-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old
03-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by klt2001 View Post
I'm sure Mike/Carrie being a well known couple/public couple also didn't hurt him being named AC since he probably draws more attention/media because of who he is married to than say Legwand does and that helps add to the franchise obtaining more viewers/fans/attention to the Preds. So I'm sure there was a combination of things as to why Mike was named AC over others. Probably both because of the business side (i.e. increasing viewership/ticket sales/media attention, etc) and also the character/leadership side he can bring.
To be honest, I don't think the casual hockey fan notices or cares who wears the A. Ofcourse we love the game so we scrutinize everything to death. I doubt media attention/ticket sales is the reasoning let alone a byproduct. In my opinion, the A is given to the player who displays leadership and mental toughness on the ice, aswell as someone who can talk to the refs.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:29 PM
klt2001

Quote:
To be honest, I don't think the casual hockey fan notices or cares who wears the A. Ofcourse we love the game so we scrutinize everything to death. I doubt media attention/ticket sales is the reasoning let alone a byproduct. In my opinion, the A is given to the player who displays leadership and mental toughness on the ice, aswell as someone who can talk to the refs.
Probably so or at least I would hope that was the case more so than anything else. That should be the reason for being named AC above all else.

Was just trying to add to the poster above me that mentioned the Mike/Carrie connection for why he was traded to Nashville and me thinking its not such a bad thing to capitalize on that attention they drew/draw but mainly should just be because Mike displays that leadership quality Poile/Trotz is looking for in an AC, which I believe was the case.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-05-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old
03-05-2012, 06:48 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Fans put more into the letter than the actually players do.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Fans put more into the letter than the actually players do.
exactly.

you are kidding yourself if you don't see Weber, Suter, Fisher, Erat and Legwand as the leadership group. I would not be surprised if Gill, Gaustad, Klein are in that group right now as well.

When you speak of Legwands character, and leadership, remember back to when Belak died. Who was the face of the Preds then? He was the main guy handling the press. He stepped up in a big way. Partially becasue of his friendship i am sure, partially because he is in fact a leader of this team.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
are kidding yourself if you don't see Weber, Suter, Fisher, Erat and Legwand as the leadership group. I would not be surprised if Gill, Gaustad, Klein are in that group right now as well.
You are kidding yourself if you view this as 'fact'. And Gaustad in now a part of the core leadership group after one game?

Legwand was sad when Belak died. OK.

Legwand is a leader to an extent I guess. What extent? Well, Trotz/Poile have known him for 14 years and didn't consider him for the A. Read into to it what you will.

I don't care who wears the A. But Fisher getting the A turns into a whine fest over how poor Legwand got shafted.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
token grinder

Quote:
You are kidding yourself if you view this as 'fact'.

Legwand is a leader to an extent I guess. What extent? Well, Trotz/Poile have known him for 14 years and didn't consider him for the A. Read into to it what you will.

I don't care who wears the A. But Fisher getting the A turns into a whine fest over how poor Legwand got shafted.
I never said Legwand got shafted. Personally, I think the C and the two A are right for this team. but it is fact that trotz keeps a leadership group and Legwand is a part of it. You ever think that some guys don't need a letter to lead?

Old
03-05-2012, 10:51 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I never said Legwand got shafted. Personally, I think the C and the two A are right for this team. but it is fact that trotz keeps a leadership group and Legwand is a part of it. You ever think that some guys don't need a letter to lead?
I've said many times that you can be a leader without a letter. In terms of the whining, I was referring to previous 20 posts.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
token grinder

Quote:
I've said many times that you can be a leader without a letter. In terms of the whining, I was referring to previous 20 posts.
fair enough. sorry for being interent sensitive. it is like the flu around here

Old
03-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Legionnaire11

I seem to recall that the last few times a new C and A's were handed out, Legwand's name was always in the running but he at least once (before Weber got it) came out and said that it didn't really matter to him if he got it or not, hinting that maybe he really didn't want the added responsibility/pressure (maybe because of the scrutiny he had already taken from fans?)

I think that took him out of the running by saying that. It would be interesting to know for sure what kind of consideration Trotz has given him, and how Leggy's attitude had affected that consideration. And also how Leggy's perception among fans has affected that. Maybe Trotz has done him a favor by keeping a letter off his chest?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
token grinder

and another thing regarding talking to refs, alot of times legwand is the preds rep over at the box when things are getting sorted out. It isn't like the refs are chanting captains only like it was a rec league game

Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
You are kidding yourself if you view this as 'fact'. And Gaustad in now a part of the core leadership group after one game?

Not discounting what you said at all, because I don't disagree... But from what I've heard, Legwand is BY FAR the most vocal leader in the lockerroom. It wasn't always that way though... It is more of a last few years thing.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

The real question here is will Legwand/Fisher change because he does or doesn't have a letter? No. Therefore this letter business is irrelevant other than giving us something to talk about.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:34 PM
cleangene

I can't pinpoint the reason, but I've felt that Leggy and Fish have been the real LEADERS of this season's team. Shea just doesn't seem to be as totally involved with the team as he was last season, (he very rarely is seen laughing during pre-skate as much as I noticed last year) and it has been pointed out here the numerous times Sutes seems to be just going through the motions to get onto free agency. It has been a great thing to see the way Gill and Goose have especially stepped into roles of being veterans to the youngsters.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote