HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXXIII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2012, 09:03 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 500
I hate Boston and I hate Lucic. I'd love him on the Habs though. What I would have like to have seen though is to have had Scott take the extra penalty and grab Lucic. Either he would have had to fight or he'd have to turtle. Had he turtled, in addition to all of hfboards melting down.......that's it, that's all that would have happened.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I hate Boston and I hate Lucic. I'd love him on the Habs though. What I would have like to have seen though is to have had Scott take the extra penalty and grab Lucic. Either he would have had to fight or he'd have to turtle. Had he turtled, in addition to all of hfboards melting down.......that's it, that's all that would have happened.
Lucic chooses his partners. He knew he could take Prust.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:10 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The Tank Monday March 5th.

We need a..
Buffalo win vs. Winnipeg
Edmonton OTW vs. Anaheim.

Old
03-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
The Tank Monday March 5th.

We need a..
Buffalo win vs. Winnipeg
Edmonton OTW vs. Anaheim.
We ain't catching up Buffalo or Winnipeg, so I would rather the Jets win and make the playoffs

Old
03-05-2012, 09:31 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaHabsFan View Post
Lucic chooses his partners. He knew he could take Prust.
Bruins fans and Lucic like to pretend he's a "middleweight" despite the fact that he's the same size as Laraque.

waffledave
Old
03-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Bruins fans and Lucic like to pretend he's a "middleweight" despite the fact that he's the same size as Laraque.
Maybe height wise but Laraque was 250-260lbs while Lucic is 220lbs.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe height wise but Laraque was 250-260lbs while Lucic is 220lbs.
Laraque skated like he was 375 lbs

Old
03-05-2012, 10:28 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You can never be too conservative with the tank.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You can never be too conservative with the tank.
So hopefully Buffalo and Winnipeg go to OT then as well.

Our team usually is awful on the trip to Western Canada, losing to Edmonton would be huge for the tank this week.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
So hopefully Buffalo and Winnipeg go to OT then as well.

Our team usually is awful on the trip to Western Canada, losing to Edmonton would be huge for the tank this week.
Huge 4 points game against the Oilers

Old
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Tim Thomas Blames Madison Square Garden Lights For Affecting His Play
March 5, 2012 10:15 AM

BOSTON (CBS) — The New York Rangers have the most points in the NHL and have 10 points more than any other team in the Eastern Conference, so clearly, they’ve got quite a bit working in their favor.

On top of stellar goaltending from Henrik Lundqvist, a solid defensive system from John Tortorella and a balanced scoring attack, the Rangers also have a bit of an advantage when it comes to their home building of Madison Square Garden. That’s at least what Bruins goalie Tim Thomas seems to believe.

Thomas was asked by the Boston Herald if he is ready for the increased workload that awaits if backup Tuukka Rask is injured significantly.

“Yeah,” he told the Herald. “Especially if I go to an arena with lights.”

MOD : Please post link of the article after the first few paragraphs. Full articles are not to be displayed in one post.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 03-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old
03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Et le But

Interesting, Alzner claims that under Hunter, the Capitals don't really have a system in place yet.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:31 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Tim Thomas Blames Madison Square Garden Lights For Affecting His Play
March 5, 2012 10:15 AM

BOSTON (CBS) — The New York Rangers have the most points in the NHL and have 10 points more than any other team in the Eastern Conference, so clearly, they’ve got quite a bit working in their favor.

On top of stellar goaltending from Henrik Lundqvist, a solid defensive system from John Tortorella and a balanced scoring attack, the Rangers also have a bit of an advantage when it comes to their home building of Madison Square Garden. That’s at least what Bruins goalie Tim Thomas seems to believe.

Thomas was asked by the Boston Herald if he is ready for the increased workload that awaits if backup Tuukka Rask is injured significantly.

“Yeah,” he told the Herald. “Especially if I go to an arena with lights.”

MOD : Please post link of the article after the first few paragraphs. Full articles are not to be displayed in one post.
The lights are really low at MSG but then again Lundqvist keeps being the best goalie in the league year after year. Thomas has played like **** lately and it's time he mans up

Old
03-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Interesting, Alzner claims that under Hunter, the Capitals don't really have a system in place yet.
That's one team I hope misses the playoffs. Never been an Ovechkin fan and glad people are noticing who the best player on that team really is (Backstrom)

Old
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's one team I hope misses the playoffs. Never been an Ovechkin fan and glad people are noticing who the best player on that team really is (Backstrom)
Capitals coach and their captain are both cavemen, can't stand them. Worth noting that Pacioretty has the same number of goals and assists as Ovechkin this year.

AND as for Tim Thomas wouldn't it be ironic if his team shows up for the first round of the playoffs and he doesn't?

Old
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Capitals coach and their captain are both cavemen, can't stand them. Worth noting that Pacioretty has the same number of goals and assists as Ovechkin this year.

AND as for Tim Thomas wouldn't it be ironic if his team shows up for the first round of the playoffs and he doesn't?
bruins fans kept saying it wasn't a big deal, I knew it would screw up the locker room. Ah well I feel bad

Old
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
I'm a dude and i will go gay for him
Well that's your issue, isn't it.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Roulin

For the nerds (myself included):

Not all hockey people are certain advanced stats can provide any benefit. On the conference’s hockey panel, Burke said NHL teams are looking for any edge they can get, but he hasn’t seen anything useful in the 30 papers on advanced statistics that his staff goes through each year. “Everybody is looking for these Moneyball type breakthroughs,” Burke said. “I have yet to see anything that has value in terms of an alternative way or more progressive way of evaluating players.”

But Chiarelli, leader of the Stanley Cup-winning Boston Bruins, was far less dismissive of advanced stats, saying his team tracks a number of stats, such as an advanced scoring chance metrics for every player in the league. “You have to be careful how you use it, but it’s another piece of information.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...eypuck-issues/

I wonder how similar Bruins' scoring chance tracking is to the project undertaken by some blogs, including this one for the Habs?

Old
03-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

At the end of the day, a 30-goal scorer with a +15 is a much more useful player than a 15-goal scorer at +1 with a low PDO, great Corsi QoC, etc.

That's just the way it is. Hockey is a much more random event-based sport than any other major league, advanced stats don't make that much difference. You can tell much better how a player performs by watching than by seeing a bunch of numbers saying 'scoring chances' and 'QoC', etc.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
At the end of the day, a 30-goal scorer with a +15 is a much more useful player than a 15-goal scorer at +1 with a low PDO, great Corsi QoC, etc.

That's just the way it is. Hockey is a much more random event-based sport than any other major league, advanced stats don't make that much difference. You can tell much better how a player performs by watching than by seeing a bunch of numbers saying 'scoring chances' and 'QoC', etc.
Ian White +30
Michael Del Zotto +27
Rick Nash -21
Mark Streit -23

+/- was an attempt at an advanced stat, that been surpassed by more useful ones.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Ian White +30
Michael Del Zotto +27
Rick Nash -21
Mark Streit -23

+/- was an attempt at an advanced stat, that been surpassed by more useful ones.
You brought up 4 guys on 4 different teams. That kind of makes no sense as a counter-argument.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Roulin

Quote:
You brought up 4 guys on 4 different teams. That kind of makes no sense as a counter-argument.
So you are saying that QoT matters?

Old
03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
So you are saying that QoT matters?
I'm saying you can look at the overall team and figure out why they have a bad +/-. Trying to point to an 'advanced stat' that tells you how much better their teammates are is quite irrelevant.

Put 2 guys on the same team, one has 15 more goals and a better +/-, he's simply a more useful player than the other guy, no matter if the guy has better 'QoC' and worst 'puck luck'.

+/- is a useful stat (unlike what some people pretend it is), it's not good when it's used to gauge defensive performance or used in a vacuum for individual performance.

Microstats are cool, but they are so far behind actual scouting when it comes to gauging player ability when compared to baseball, for example, that I very much doubt a pro scouting staff with all the advanced stats will be significantly more proficient than another with very light use of them.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I'm saying you can look at the overall team and figure out why they have a bad +/-. Trying to point to an 'advanced stat' that tells you how much better their teammates are is quite irrelevant.

Put 2 guys on the same team, one has 15 more goals and a better +/-, he's simply a more useful player than the other guy, no matter if the guy has better 'QoC' and worst 'puck luck'.

+/- is a useful stat (unlike what some people pretend it is), it's not good when it's used to gauge defensive performance or used in a vacuum for individual performance.

Microstats are cool, but they are so far behind actual scouting when it comes to gauging player ability when compared to baseball, for example, that I very much doubt a pro scouting staff with all the advanced stats will be significantly more proficient than another with very light use of them.
OK, what does the fact that Nash, Tyutin and Brassard have the worst +/- on the Blue Jackets tell you? That they are the worst forwards and dman on the team? Or that something else is going on, and you need context? Maybe there is a large split in who faces tough competition in Columbus - and maybe, instead of looking over shift charts one at a time (though that is useful, it is also time consuming), you want a measure of which Blue Jackets play against the league's toughest outshooters.

To me, this is the purpose of advanced (although they are actually not that complicated) stats. To complement what your eye already picks up when watching something like Rick Nash playing well but get outscored, and to provide context.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
OK, what does the fact that Nash, Tyutin and Brassard have the worst +/- on the Blue Jackets tell you? That they are the worst forwards and dman on the team? Or that something else is going on, and you need context? Maybe there is a large split in who faces tough competition in Columbus - and maybe, instead of looking over shift charts one at a time (though that is useful, it is also time consuming), you want a measure of which Blue Jackets play against the league's toughest outshooters.

To me, this is the purpose of advanced (although they are actually not that complicated) stats. To complement what your eye already picks up when watching something like Rick Nash playing well but get outscored, and to provide context.
You'd know they have the worst +/- because of matchups. Tyutin is their best dman, Nash and Brassard play big minutes on offense. You don't need microstats to tell you what their competition is on the ice, nor what kind of **** goaltending their team has had.

How they are defensively, that's for you to watch though. No stats will tell you their defensive ability. Even Boucher scouting has a line to that effect.

Once again, you're fighting a strawman. I said that +/- is a bad stat to gauge individual performance in a vacuum. Hockey isn't about spreadsheets.

Of course, if I was scouting, I'd want ALL the stats available, that doesn't make them very concinving for anything though. They're just there to fact-check and to give you some answers that are most definately not make-or-break. Which makes them of limited use in the grand scheme of scouting.

Closed Thread