HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#64|Mar. 4, 2012|Flyers at Capitals|7:00 p.m. ET

Old
03-04-2012, 10:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2468

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/flyers...244&feedID=695

Quote:
It took yet another tongue-lashing from coach Peter Laviolette, but the Flyers finally bested Caps goalie Michael Neuvirth at 7:51 of the second period. Just 46 seconds after a visibly displeased Laviolette called his players in, the Flyers’ fourth line began to buzz in front of Neuvirth. Finally, Wellwood connected on a deflection on a point slap-pass from Pavel Kubina to put the Flyers ahead 1-0.

“We came out just a little bit flat in the second period,” Laviolette said. “It seemed like they owned a lot of the shots, a lot of the chances. We were just watching a bit too much. It was more to get them back on track then anything else. I thought they responded really well after that. Not just the goal, but the rest of the period.”

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:05 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
Never mind

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:39 PM
flyingsouth

Go Bryz! HAHA!

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Krishna

Missed the game.. Bryz gets a shutout.

How did he actually look? or was washington that bad?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:53 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He seems to be at his best when he can set up behind the net or by the posts. That hasn't happened much at all this season. I've suspected linemates have something to do with it.
He had an opportunity late tonight, and then bolted to the top of the far circle (from the camera's POV). I recall him having lethal accuracy with both wrist shots and slappers from that circle in the past when he's hot. He'll get it back. Little by little, I'm seeing glimpses. He was invisible in Calgary, but much better in SJ with the 4th liners, and solid tonight.

I'd like to see him with Voracek though, rather than Simmonds/Read. In the past, his best success was with another playmaker on his line (Prospal, Leino). Voracek would be very good for him imo.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:55 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

I was actually really impressed by Washington. Not the Caps of old who tried to outskill everyone. They worked hard all game. But the defense played great, and Bryz was outstanding.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:58 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

There's this odd looking, oval shaped number in the Caps' score column. Can anyone explain this strange hieroglyphic to me?

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
He had an opportunity late tonight, and then bolted to the top of the far circle (from the camera's POV). I recall him having lethal accuracy with both wrist shots and slappers from that circle in the past when he's hot. He'll get it back. Little by little, I'm seeing glimpses. He was invisible in Calgary, but much better in SJ with the 4th liners, and solid tonight.

I'd like to see him with Voracek though, rather than Simmonds/Read. In the past, his best success was with another playmaker on his line (Prospal, Leino). Voracek would be very good for him imo.
I've thought that Briere has looked good on offense on an individual basis for quite sometime...he just can't get anything to go in the net. If he were younger I'd assume it's just a long cold streak, but with his age I have to be a bit concerned that this is part of him declining with age.

03-05-2012, 12:13 AM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

Danny Briere is playing some of the best hockey of his career. I may be ridiculously drunk for a Sunday but I'm dead serious.

Why does it take some ****** to write an article about Hitch & Modano to see what's in front of our own eyes.

To understand what goes on without the puck is a love for hockey.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:02 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Did that little smirk on Hartnell's face after his fight make anyone else love him just a tad more? He just rules.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:49 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKurri'soupkitchen View Post
Danny Briere is playing some of the best hockey of his career. I may be ridiculously drunk for a Sunday but I'm dead serious.

Why does it take some ****** to write an article about Hitch & Modano to see what's in front of our own eyes.

To understand what goes on without the puck is a love for hockey.
You can't be serious.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:58 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
What an unreal performance by the entire flyers team. Blocking shots, Dicipline, team defense and unreal goaltending.
^^^^^ Sums it up.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:00 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
So much for superstition.
hows this for superstition,.. my fiancee an i went out sunday afternoon and for some reason i decided to wear my bryz jersey over my talbot winter classic. ang(my fincee) asked why i was wearing it because she thought he wasn't that good. i told her i just felt like it was a bryz day. i wore it all day AND all game and poof! shutout. now she believes in fan superstitions. i sweari felt some kind of crazy divine energy when i finally decided to take it off after the game. true story!!!!!!!

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:21 AM
columbiaNW

I was in town for business last night and took this game in live and I can't say properly how impressed I was with the Flyers team D. As an aside, it's fun watching an NHL game - an entertaining NHL game - as a neutral fan.

About whatever system they were running...they were really clogging up the neutral zone and making it tough on the Caps to get anything going up the middle. Ovie was hanging out at your blueline or cherrypicking at center ice at times in the game, but the Flyers were snuffing it out time and again.

Bryz played a great game. He looked relaxed and I couldn't believe his anticipation. He made saves he didn't *see*, if that makes any sense. He just knew where it was coming from.

Great win guys. That was a really gutsy win. You guys should be proud.

columbiaNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Jtown

What was up with everyone's TOI? Very strange to see the top line around 16 min and Briere at 18. No one had less than 10 which is good to see.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

He was fantastic. The Caps had fistfulls of gold-plated scoring chances and he answered every single one. Seriously, except for a couple minutes in the second and a longer stretch of the third, the Flyers were outplayed pretty badly.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
hows this for superstition,.. my fiancee an i went out sunday afternoon and for some reason i decided to wear my bryz jersey over my talbot winter classic. ang(my fincee) asked why i was wearing it because she thought he wasn't that good. i told her i just felt like it was a bryz day. i wore it all day AND all game and poof! shutout. now she believes in fan superstitions. i sweari felt some kind of crazy divine energy when i finally decided to take it off after the game. true story!!!!!!!

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Xegiie

glad i wasnt wrong when i said before match that bryz has changed.
thank you mr.universe

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

First 1-0 win since December of 07 apparently.... wow...

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
mirimon

Good to see Bryzgalov steal a game for us. Grossman had a really strong game as well, blocked a ton of shots and was good in front of the crease and along the boards. Simmonds had a good game as well, I think.

The Caps need to sort things out though. They can't be looking for the long stretch pass an entire game. It becomes a bit predictable. Ovechkin doesn't look like he thinks it is fun to play hockey anymore, for a player who used to play with so much emotion and explosiveness he's looking somewhat listless. He ****ed up on the goal as well. First with the giveaway to Rinaldo, and then I don't know what he was trying to do when Kubina shot the puck, but he didn't exactly try his hardest to block that shot.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:41 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I was actually really impressed by Washington. Not the Caps of old who tried to outskill everyone. They worked hard all game. But the defense played great, and Bryz was outstanding.
I totally agree, I thought after the offseason the caps were going to be really good since they beefed up their D. Backstrom being out is hurting them a lot.

The commentators made a remark, and I noticed it.... the fans were really quiet, usually that building is buzzing. I hope this isn't the first signs of the high amount of "fair weather fans" that people say they have, getting down on them. They have a really good team.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:25 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I totally agree, I thought after the offseason the caps were going to be really good since they beefed up their D. Backstrom being out is hurting them a lot.

The commentators made a remark, and I noticed it.... the fans were really quiet, usually that building is buzzing. I hope this isn't the first signs of the high amount of "fair weather fans" that people say they have, getting down on them. They have a really good team.
The Flyers fans were buzzing!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
A lot of teams are dealing with issues like that. The Caps miss Backstrom, the Pens miss that Crosby kid, and just think how good our D would be with Pronger out there....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
1-0 wins are often then best ones

Seemed like both 4th lines were the best lines. The Caps are woeful. Matt Hendricks had more ice time than Ovechkin. George McPhee will be looking for a job on April 8.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
BernieParent

Great game last night, particularly as I watched the RDS (French TSN) feed. The commentators were very pro-Flyers, particularly as the colour guy is Denis Gauthier. There was hardly any Ovechkin pumping, and they called out Brouwer for yapping off at the refs for his (deserved) penalty, then for getting away with some penalty-worthy slashes in rapid succession.

I definitely agree that Bryzgalov has looked night-and-day different from his early struggles. He was moving with ease, anticipating plays and flashing appendages to make some very nice saves. Things are definitely looking up with him playing so well.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote