HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Henrik Lundqvist An HOFer?

Old
03-05-2012, 10:52 AM
nik jr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Hard to say. But Fleury had an amazing performance in the 2009 playoffs. It isn't as if he was along for the ride. He was the most important Penguin after Malkin, and probably Crosby too.
not even close to amazing

fleury was mediocre in '09 playoffs, including in finals. if he had been amazing in finals, pittsburgh would have won in less than 7.

fleury was much better in '08 playoffs.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:24 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

fleury was mediocre in '09 playoffs, including in finals. if he had been amazing in finals, pittsburgh would have won in less than 7.

MAF's team possibly gets him HOF. Hank isn't there yet but I definitely think he'll continue to play and have that HOF career. The olympic gold really helps too imo

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 03-06-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Flaming
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Hawkman

It's tough for goalies. Belfour just got in. Without a Cup he has no chance.

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:33 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
with two vezinas and a runner up?

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
begbeee

In 00-10 generation there is only one goalie who will be inducted - Brodeur. Of course if we count him among that generation.
Very good chance has Tim Thomas, he just need to compile some numbers and he will be ok.
Then...well, it's very thin ice.
Luongo? With no Cup, Vezina and his reputation? Kiprusoff? Uhm, rather no. MAF? This must be a joke. With that being said, Lundqvist is very sexy pick who has finally earned his reputation and is on his way to collect trophies and achievments.
I would bet my money that he will be third and the last HOFer from 00-10 generation.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeRyaneClowe View Post
Lundqvist is on pace to be enshrined. At worst I think his career will end up equalling Tony Esposito's, even without hardware.
Wow.........Tony O? High praise, but Lundqvist has never even been a 1st or 2nd all-star and Esposito did it 5 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post

Well he did play Detroit twice. Both series were tight series. He wasn't playing against some patsies. And in 2009 it is easy to forget how clutch Fleury was that postseason. He had a couple vapour lock moments, but he rebounded every time with a spectacular performance. He made incredible saves in each playoff round. Each time it could have altered the series. Against Jeff Carter in the Philly series, Ovechkin in Game 7, Staal against Carolina and then brilliant stops against Cleary late in Game 6 on a breakaway that would have tied the game and then who can forget the highway robbery on Lidstrom? The guy got the monkey off his back in dramatic fashion. Yeah, I'd say he stepped it up big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
In 00-10 generation there is only one goalie who will be inducted - Brodeur. Of course if we count him among that generation.
Very good chance has Tim Thomas, he just need to compile some numbers and he will be ok.
Luongo? With no Cup, Vezina and his reputation? Kiprusoff? Uhm, rather no. MAF? This must be a joke. With that being said, Lundqvist is very sexy pick who has finally earned his reputation and is on his way to collect trophies and achievments.
I would bet my money that he will be third and the last HOFer from 00-10 generation.
Why is it that a 27 year old with two trips to the final, an Olympic Gold as a back up, plenty of wins in his young career a "joke" to be mentioned just on projection? He was 9th in Hart voting in 2011. Look at him this year too and while Malkin deservingly is getting the press it also helps that Fleury has played very strong this year.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:55 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Why is it that a 27 year old with two trips to the final, an Olympic Gold as a back up, plenty of wins in his young career a "joke" to be mentioned just on projection? He was 9th in Hart voting in 2011. Look at him this year too and while Malkin deservingly is getting the press it also helps that Fleury has played very strong this year.
I think he is product of his team, closer to Osgood than Lundqvist. That doesnt mean he is bad, but IMO HOF is not near for him. He has time to add some great seasons to his resume but now he has no monster-season.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Belfour would have been a Hall of Famer Cup or not. 484 career wins and 5 All Star Game Appearances cement his case.

As to Lundqvist he's not a HOFer yet but if he has a couple more dominant seasons then he probably will make it.

03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
MAF has pretty much hovered at average throughout his career… usually a bit above. He is forming a Mike Vernon career thus far, so you should love him. But, he hasn’t come close to the Vezina and hasn’t deserved to.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
The unfortunate thing is that so many goalies won't make it due to the position they played, but deserve it so much more than the Bernie Federkos.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Hawkman

If you had to pick 1 right now, who has a better chance Henrik or Luongo?

Old
03-07-2012, 10:30 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
without a doubt, Luongo. Has been a vezina runner up twice and a stanley cup finalist. And a longer career of typically solid play.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Belfour would have been a Hall of Famer Cup or not. 484 career wins and 5 All Star Game Appearances cement his case. As to Lundqvist he's not a HOFer yet but if he has a couple more dominant seasons then he probably will make it.
I never said Belfour would not have gotten in. This is a Lundqvist topic so my he referred to Lundqvist. Cujo is 4th all time with 454 wins, has a 2.42 in 133 playoff games, and he's not in. The Cup separated Belfour from Cujo, not 30 more wins or more All Star games. Osgood has 400 wins and may not get in, because some people try to devalue his playoff and Cup play. Saying that any active goalie who never wins a Cup is a lock is a fantasy.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Lundqvist needs some hardware. If he doesn't win the Vezina this year, it will be robbery.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory View Post
He won an Olympic Gold Medal, the #2 hockey award in the world.
As we know from any discussion of Roberto Luongo, Olympic gold medals do not count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Gerry Cheevers.
True, but of course in Cheevers' time the Vezina was an award given to the goaltenders of the team allowing the fewest goals. It was not an individual award from 1946 through 1981 or whenever it was. So a goalie could have, in theory, been the very best of his time and never received a Vezina.

Now, Cheevers never made an NHL All-Star team either. He pretty clearly has the weakest resume among modern Hall of Fame goaltenders, even when you consider his WHA years.

Iain Fyffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:26 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
As we know from any discussion of Roberto Luongo, Olympic gold medals do not count.

True, but of course in Cheevers' time the Vezina was an award given to the goaltenders of the team allowing the fewest goals. It was not an individual award from 1946 through 1981 or whenever it was. So a goalie could have, in theory, been the very best of his time and never received a Vezina.

Now, Cheevers never made an NHL All-Star team either. He pretty clearly has the weakest resume among modern Hall of Fame goaltenders, even when you consider his WHA years.
yeah, I knew that and factored that into my answer

Old
03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
It's not like Luongo was the reason they won the gold, Henrik had the more impressive Gold medal performance.

It's hard to say how the HHOF committee will be comprised when both Luongo and Henrik are eligible but if they consider it, it would help Henrik more I'd think.

Either way I expect both of these guys to make the Hall even in the tough goalie category.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Brooklanders*

No he is not a hall of famer

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:50 AM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
I never said Belfour would not have gotten in. This is a Lundqvist topic so my he referred to Lundqvist. Cujo is 4th all time with 454 wins, has a 2.42 in 133 playoff games, and he's not in. The Cup separated Belfour from Cujo, not 30 more wins or more All Star games. Osgood has 400 wins and may not get in, because some people try to devalue his playoff and Cup play. Saying that any active goalie who never wins a Cup is a lock is a fantasy.
On top of the cups, I think what also separated Belfour was that in the early 90s, he was widely considered the second best behind Roy...and before the 93 playoffs some people thought he was better than Patrick. Joseph never reached those kind of heights, he was always stuck behind Hasek/Roy/Belfour/Brodeur.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:23 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Luongo for now, but Lundqvist is on pace to comfortably surpass him

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:26 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
I basically agree with this. Lundqvist needs to win a Vezina (which he probably will this year) and win more playoff games. But he's definitely on pace. Saving a high profile market from the crap they had in goal after Mike Richter retired definitely adds to his legacy

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 01:33 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

if his career ended today, no he's not.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:12 AM
RabbinsDuck

Wow, I had no idea MAF was held in such high regard... He's good, but I would never think 'great'. Put Lundqvist on that Pens team and they have a lot more wins, IMO.

Thomas is already a HoFer in my book, and goalies like Luongo, Lundqvist and Kipprusoff and Miller are short a little hardware - and still have a good chance, depending on age.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
Let's not forget MAF's 2008 playoffs. If Detroit isn't out of this world, or if Malkin plays a bit better, he has 2 rings. He certainly did his part.
Or if Datsyuk doesn't get injured the year after that, MAF has zero rings.

Revisionist history, yay.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:40 AM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
It's not like Luongo was the reason they won the gold, Henrik had the more impressive Gold medal performance.
I've always found it amusing how hard people have tried to downplay Luongo's performance in 2010.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote