HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Wellwood Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2012, 01:03 AM
  #1
JetsAlternate
Registered User
 
JetsAlternate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,434
vCash: 500
Eric Wellwood Discussion

Honestly, I'm not sure why you guys keep sending Eric Wellwood down only to call him up again. It's been a yo-yo all year for him. I haven't been able to pay close enough attention, so please fill me in on what his strengths and deficiencies are.

He's only 21 years old, already has 2 NHL goals this year, and is one of those "borderline" roster players at his age. Certainly, he's on the cusp of making this club full-time.

He's the same size as his brother, and several years younger. I was watching one of his post-game interviews, and I certainly thought to myself that he sounds and looks like "a manly, more prototypical hockey player version of Kyle Wellwood." Kyle does not sound or look like a hockey player, whereas his brother... is an "athlete's version of Kyle" -- Stefan Urquelle, as opposed to Steve Urkel.

What type of player is Eric, and what does he bring to the table? How is his work ethic, and how does he compare to his brother, Kyle?

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:31 AM
  #2
OriginJM
watch out im smart
 
OriginJM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,526
vCash: 500
He's a pretty cool dude.

That's about all I know.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:47 AM
  #3
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer
 
OzFlyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
He's only 21 years old, already has 2 NHL goals this year, and is one of those "borderline" roster players at his age. Certainly, he's on the cusp of making this club full-time.
This is Philly, we love our Goons!

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:34 AM
  #4
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher
 
Vikke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bustoville
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,942
vCash: 500
I like him. Not as fast as Scrabbles, but more reliable and better with the puck.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:35 AM
  #5
iamcanadian23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
He's got wheels, more defensively responsible than his brother and plays has played his role well when called upon this year. He has managed to pick-up some points and stay on the plus side of things, considering his limited minutes and his appearances have largely been during our recent slump. He has even played on the penalty kill here, although the opportunities have been limited.

I am personally a fan of what he has shown thus far, and I have to think the same goes for his coach. Although the sample size is small, he averages more minutes than any of the other players we have seen in his position - likely due to his versatility.

He's small but tries to be physical where appropriate. Obviously he can't get much taller, and I wouldn't expect it given his brother's small stature - but perhaps bulking up a bit to help him create some strength and seperation ability would help, although his quickness is an asset that helps make up for lack of size as well. And given family history, not sure asking for a few more pounds would be a good idea...

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:42 AM
  #6
BillDineen
Registered User
 
BillDineen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,677
vCash: 500
I like Wellwood. He looks like an NHL player (4th liner). Issue is so do Sestito, Harry Z, Rinaldo and even Holmstrom in his few opportunities. Shelley also takes up a roster spot.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:32 AM
  #7
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
He's not really been sent up and down as a yo-yo. This is only his fourth call-up I think. There are those that pass that mark by the end of November. He's done really well though. I like him as a player, he's fast, works hard, is solid defensively and has been able to chip in offensively as well. He is on the small side, however, and even though he plays a bit bigger than his size (him winning board battles against Tyler Myers looked funny), here is his biggest drawback I think. He's not quite good enough to be a top six forward and might be a bit too weak to work as a traditional energy- or checking line player. So far Laviolette has preferred the energy and hitting that Rinaldo brings to the game. With JvR out for the next month, month-and-a-half, there's a chance for Wellwood to show that the final spot in the forward lineup (when everyone is healthy in the second round of the playoffs...) is his. It will be tough though, Rinaldo is playing really well too.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:12 AM
  #8
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Aside from Bryzgalov, Wellwood was the most impressive Flyer last night. I was at the game, and he stood out to me every time he was on the ice. The goal was sweet, but it's the plays he was making away from the puck that really made me take notice. Smart, responsible player with keen hockey sense and legit talent, too (4 points in 6 games with the Flyers this season in limited ice time; 5 points in 9 career games). I think Wellwood could ably fill a spot on the third line, and I hope he is a regular in the lineup next season.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:46 AM
  #9
Top Cheese Danish
Registered User
 
Top Cheese Danish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
He seems to be a favorite of Lavi's - I believe Lavi originally wanted to call up Wellwood over Harry Z earlier in the year, but Wellwood was injured so Scrabbles got the call.

Sestito and Rinaldo will be full-time fourth liners next season, so I don't know if this club really has room for him. I think he's first in line to get a full-time spot after those two, but this is Philly we're talking about - if you can hit/fight, you get moved to the front of the line...

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:55 AM
  #10
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
He seems to be a favorite of Lavi's - I believe Lavi originally wanted to call up Wellwood over Harry Z earlier in the year, but Wellwood was injured so Scrabbles got the call.

Sestito and Rinaldo will be full-time fourth liners next season, so I don't know if this club really has room for him. I think he's first in line to get a full-time spot after those two, but this is Philly we're talking about - if you can hit/fight, you get moved to the front of the line...
Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - vanRiemsdyk
Simmonds - Couturier - Briere
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

1st top 9 call-up : Wellwood
1st 4th line call-up: Holmstrom

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:03 PM
  #11
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
The other side of the coin is that Wellwood has increased his value with his games as a Flyer, and could be a legitimate piece – not the primary piece, but certainly not a throw-in – in any deal for a defenseman.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:07 PM
  #12
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,899
vCash: 500
I like Wellwood, but I just don't know if the team will make room for him on the third line. He's got the skill to be a 15 to 20 goal scorer in this league. The question is, who do the Flyers move from the top nine in order to fit Wellwood in?

Personally, I'd love to see a Wellwood - Couturier - Ranford line in the future. I think that line has the potential to be very disruptive and put up good numbers. Wellwood's the speed, Couturier is the brains and Ranford's the finisher.

I know that the defense pipeline needs to be filled, but damn, the forwards in the pipeline are going to be quite alright.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:30 AM
  #13
G Money
Registered User
 
G Money's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I like Wellwood, but I just don't know if the team will make room for him on the third line. He's got the skill to be a 15 to 20 goal scorer in this league. The question is, who do the Flyers move from the top nine in order to fit Wellwood in?

Personally, I'd love to see a Wellwood - Couturier - Ranford line in the future. I think that line has the potential to be very disruptive and put up good numbers. Wellwood's the speed, Couturier is the brains and Ranford's the finisher.

I know that the defense pipeline needs to be filled, but damn, the forwards in the pipeline are going to be quite alright.
danny b is who they move out of the top 9

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
  #14
Top Cheese Danish
Registered User
 
Top Cheese Danish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
It's his birthday today. The big 22.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:55 AM
  #15
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Aside from Bryzgalov, Wellwood was the most impressive Flyer last night. I was at the game, and he stood out to me every time he was on the ice. The goal was sweet, but it's the plays he was making away from the puck that really made me take notice. Smart, responsible player with keen hockey sense and legit talent, too (4 points in 6 games with the Flyers this season in limited ice time; 5 points in 9 career games). I think Wellwood could ably fill a spot on the third line, and I hope he is a regular in the lineup next season.
Wellwood has a bit of Justin Williams in him.....who of course flourished under Lavi and fits well with Lavi's system.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:23 PM
  #16
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - vanRiemsdyk
Simmonds - Couturier - Briere
Rinaldo - Talbot - Sestito

1st top 9 call-up : Wellwood
1st 4th line call-up: Holmstrom
Not a fan of this lineup at all.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
  #17
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Not a fan of this lineup at all.
All it's missing is Jagr...its almost the exact same lineup we have been using...

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:43 PM
  #18
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Not a fan of this lineup at all.
Better get used to it, because if I have my way, in 2-3 years it will be:

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - vanRiemsdyk
Simmonds - Schenn - Wellwood/Ranford/Akeson/Cousins
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Talbot

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  #19
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Better get used to it, because if I have my way, in 2-3 years it will be:

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - vanRiemsdyk
Simmonds - Schenn - Wellwood/Ranford/Akeson/Cousins
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Talbot
I have no doubt in my mind that sooner or later the Flyers will get a top line winger at a good age to play for a long time with Giroux. I would love to have Nash, bu the price tag to acquire him is too step right now. Giroux to Nash for the next decade would be amazing

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
  #20
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that sooner or later the Flyers will get a top line winger at a good age to play for a long time with Giroux. I would love to have Nash, bu the price tag to acquire him is too step right now. Giroux to Nash for the next decade would be amazing


How about Giroux to vanRiemsdyk?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  #21
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Better get used to it, because if I have my way, in 2-3 years it will be:

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Voracek - Schenn - vanRiemsdyk
Simmonds - Schenn - Wellwood/Ranford/Akeson/Cousins
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - Talbot
If you have it your way? lol you going to be the next GM for the Flyers? Are you going to clone Schenn? No way the Flyers are going to go 3 years without signing a forward/center if they dont win the cup.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  #22
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post


How about Giroux to vanRiemsdyk?
How about Reemer-Giroux-Nash???

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:57 PM
  #23
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that sooner or later the Flyers will get a top line winger at a good age to play for a long time with Giroux. I would love to have Nash, bu the price tag to acquire him is too step right now. Giroux to Nash for the next decade would be amazing
Pretty much. The Flyers must acquire a consistent 40-goal threat to play on G's wing.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
  #24
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
If you have it your way? lol you going to be the next GM for the Flyers? Are you going to clone Schenn?
Next best thing. I will put Couturier in the lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
No way the Flyers are going to go 3 years without signing a forward/center if they dont win the cup.
Probably not, but very few teams can say they feel comfortable with the majority of their top 9 for the next 5 years. I feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Pretty much. The Flyers must acquire a consistent 40-goal threat to play on G's wing.
Depth wins championships. Not consistent 40+ goal scorers.

Do you realize that we have the top offense in the NHL with JVR hurt all season and Briere playing like crap?

Give this young lineup some time, some years and some years together, and I guarantee you'll be pleased.

Trading them away for a Rick Nash is counter productive to what we did last offseason.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
  #25
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Depth wins championships. Not consistent 40+ goal scorers.

Do you realize that we have the top offense in the NHL with JVR hurt all season and Briere playing like crap?

Give this young lineup some time, some years and some years together, and I guarantee you'll be pleased.

Trading them away for a Rick Nash is counter productive to what we did last offseason.
Cool. I still stand by my statement. Also, acquiring a consistent 40-goal threat does not necessarily mean gutting the lineup of its depth.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.