HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Five Reasons to be Stoked for Next Season

Old
03-03-2012, 09:56 AM
AntonCH

vCash: 500
"stoked"?
How about guardedly optimistic?
Hard to get stoked after the season we've had

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Craig71

The top realities about next season.
1. We will celebrate the 20 year anniversary since our last cup.
2. The retirement of Andrei Markov.
3. Scott Gomez. Thomas Kaberle.
4. We still do not have a good first line.
5. paying 6 million for a goalie with only three good defensemen and without a good first line.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 03:26 PM
MooseheadCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
I only have one reason to be stoked for next year. Nathan MacKinnon, we're most likely drafting him.
so you obviously think we'll finish 30th or 29th next year?

MooseheadCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
I only have one reason to be stoked for next year. Nathan MacKinnon, we're most likely drafting him.
hes not eligible for the upcoming draft is he?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
hes not eligible for the upcoming draft is he?
No, next year.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
The top realities about next season.
1. We will celebrate the 20 year anniversary since our last cup.
2. The retirement of Andrei Markov.
3. Scott Gomez. Thomas Kaberle.
4. We still do not have a good first line.
5. paying 6 million for a goalie with only three good defensemen and without a good first line.

Let's see.

Center (DD) -tied for 9th in league among centers in assists. Le Petit One is even tied for 42nd among centers in scoring. His 14 goals equal the number scored by Thornton, Ribeiro and Richards. He's one ahead of H. Sedin.

Left Wing (Pacioretty)- tied for 7th among left wings in league in goals

Right Wing (a LW playing RW in Coles) - Tied for 16th among both left wingers or right wingers in the league in goals.

So, the Center is a top 10 assist man, one wing is a top 7 goal scorer and the other wing is a top 20 goal scorer. The Habs still don't have a decent first line?

No, the Habs have a fairly good first line. An average to slightly above average one based on scoring. If that counts around here

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-03-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Despite the pessimism on this board, the Habs are looking much better then what some fans pretend.

I really like what Gauthier have done as of late. He's been stockpiling draft picks in the top 60 for the next 2 years and we have a chance to draft a true impact player this summer that might even be able to help as soon as next season.

For the majority of this season, we've been playing with a cap floor budget. Having Gionta, Markov and Gomez in/out of this line-up takes up to 33% of our cap space, UNUSED cap space.

Say Gomez is gone, which is probably going to happen this summer, we have all the necessary money to resign Price & Subban. With some secondary moves, like trading away Kaberle (because despite what some of you think, he still has some value), we have a large chunk of money (7 million or more) to spend on UFA's. Are we going to bring Parise and Suter in Montréal? Most probably not. But we can still fill out some of our roster with capable veterans.

We have one of the best goalies in the league. Don't let this season's average stats fool you, as soon as we get back Markov and Gauthier manages to install some form of stability to our blueline, he'll be back at the top.

There's a lot of young guys coming into their own lately, and we can only hope they improve for next season. We got a lot of quality prospects on defense that should be ready in a year or two, so we're pretty much set in that department.

Bottom line, I can see the Habs having another "tank" year next season, but not beyond that point. We have solid cornerstones and all we need is some more depth up front, something that should be accomplished via the draft. There's a lot of reasons to be optimistic. Say what you want, but Gauthier has turned, or is in the process of turning, this franchise around, in a good way. We've been relying on patchwork UFAs for so long to run this team, and this is exactly why we're in our current position. We're currently building from within and UFAs and trades have only been, up to this point, complimentary players, which is a good thing. We might draft a load of talent in the next two seasons... Just wait.
We've got a lot of holes not only on the wings.

Donyou feel comfortable with this defensive corp next year: markov, subban, gorges, emelin, weber, kaberle, diaz? That's a soft defense and other than Suter I don't see any appealing defenseman that would solve our problem.

Also, management should get their **** together and finally find a role for Eller and Leblanc. Are they centers or wingers?

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You'd have thought a terrible unilingual anglo coach who singlehandedly tanked our season would have quelled those type of posts but I guess not.
It's not about anglo or french man. You get the best person for the job regardless of language or you end up in this situation - GM or coach. Any sort of non-hockey related restriction goes against your main purpose.

EDIT: Just so I make the point obvious, our play doesn't confirm that English coaches suck just as it wouldn't confirm that French coaches suck. What it does tell us is that we need the best guy for the job based on merit. Being able to speak a language isn't a merit. It's a nice to have.

Last edited by Ginu: 03-03-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:35 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
the emergence of dd as a good center somewhat fills a hole by digging another one. we suddenly have 3 competent centers, but now lack competent wingers...

i am starting to physically feel ill everytime is see "gomez" penciled into a lineup for 2012-2013. i hope god, mary and joe that the guy doesn't come back next year...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:05 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

1) No more Campoli
2) The return of the General
3) PK no longer sophmore slumping (even though I believe he is out of the slump already)
4) No more Mr. Freckleface as head coach
5) Lottery pick!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
the emergence of dd as a good center somewhat fills a hole by digging another one. we suddenly have 3 competent centers, but now lack competent wingers...

i am starting to physically feel ill everytime is see "gomez" penciled into a lineup for 2012-2013. i hope god, mary and joe that the guy doesn't come back next year...
Unless the GM finds a constructive way to use $7.3M, Gomez will be in the lineup. I'd rather see Gomez in Montreal for two more seasons than buryig him and spending that money on an equally bad player for a longer term.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:32 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I truly believe that the Habs will be back and reeking havoc in the playoffs once again next year. It'll be a 1 year reload much like the Sens have done. While people are hating on PG, he's slowly and surely putting the pieces in place for the habs to be a great young team. Getting one of the elite 4 forwards in the 2012 draft is key though. By the end of next year:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Eller-Plekanec-1stRNDR
Bourque-Leblanc-Gallagher
Moen-White-Geoffrion

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Subban
Tinordi-Diaz

Price
So basically 4 rookies in the line-up in key roles. Yikes.

Emelin on his off-side? Yikes x2.

No Gionta? Yikes x3.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
So you believe the Habs will finish dead last next season? MacKinnon is already receiving more praise at this point then Crosby received a year before he was draft eligible.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
BenchBrawl
You love it

vCash: 50
well franckly I'm thrilled for the first time since 07-08 beginning of 08-09 , I've been a pretty disappointed and even indifferant fan since the gomez-cammalleri-gionta core was signedNow there's a couple of good players on the team , we aren't as small and we'll have a nice top 5 pick.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

I believe we can make the playoffs next year but I'm not overly optimistic. I'm more stoked about the young players coming up in Hamilton and making a possible debut with the Habs. I'm talking about Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gallagher, Bournival ect. Some of these guys could become core players for us in the future and we really depend on their development to rise above being a mediocre team.

That, and the top5 player we're going to draft. Can't wait to see who we pick&how NHL ready he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion
So you believe the Habs will finish dead last next season? MacKinnon is already receiving more praise at this point then Crosby received a year before he was draft eligible.
I honestly can't see us finishing bottom 5 next year also. The only way we'd get MacKinnon is by winning the lottery or trading for a first that ends up first overall because we sure as hell won't be last place. Just imagine if we were and lost the lottery. At 50% chance its not a gamble I'd make.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
He is sometimes ranked below Jones.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Netro

1. About $6 million cleared recently from the cap to acquire a big, scoring winger for the top line
2. A Top 5 draft pick that may have immediate impact
3. Resolution on the Markov situation...we should know by next season whether he will play or retire
4. Continued improvement from key players like Eller, Maxpac, PK, Emelin
5. Better health and a bounceback season

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:58 AM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
not a chance

Markov is finished and Gio will be traded by the draft

We are going nowhere with our midget as the #1 center

on 20 + teams he doesnt play period , cant do **** 5 on 5

we have no front line talent on D or upfront

unless we draft a stud nothing will change folks

team is a joke how we handle it

LeBlanc and Eller should be top 6 not playing with crap on bottom 6

Pleks has to go this summer ..time is up
I nominate this post for most uninformed and ridiculously pessimistic out of all of them.

Give me a break, Eller has not earned top 6 time. Moen deserves it more than him.

"Pleks has to go this summer.. time is up" lmao what are you saying? Time is up? What a ridiculous thing to say. He had a tough season, but still plays a huge role on this team and is probably our most important all-around forward. There's no reason to get rid of him unless someone overpays to acquire him.

Markov hasn't played in two seasons so you have no idea how well he is going to play, for all you know he could have a huge breakthrough season. Gionta traded by the draft? Your whole post is a bunch of ridiculous speculation.

Don't even get me started on your remarks about Desharnais, one of the only bright spots on the Habs this season. He has definitely proven he can be an effective 1a-1b center or at the very least an outstanding second line center.

I request you stop with your idiotic claims and speculation, it just comes across as whining.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
1. The Habs are getting bigger and tougher and this trend will continue.

2. The team is always about 20% better with Markov in the lineup, not to mention that Gionta will be back.

3. Subban will put the sophmore slump behind him.

4. Emelin, Eller and Weber (IMO) are coming into their own.

5. The Ghost or his successor will have cap room and a top 5 pick in this years draft.

Exactly a year ago people in Ottawa were ready to throw Bryan Murray into the abyss, and now he's a genius. Kuba and Gonchar were millstones and Spezza should have been traded. Exactly a year ago Yzerman and Boucher were geniuses, and now they have to rebuid. People lose sight of how narrow the gap is between the top and the bottom of the conference. We're not that far away and have lots of good pieces in place. Can't wait for next year.
k know your stuff before posting. ottawa fans were on board with the rebuild and were for bryan murray to head it. spezza was producing like crazy and fans were praising him for his play all of last year.

not all fan bases are bipolar.

that being said, i think after this season, the worst will be behind you. the draft will be fun and then you'll start seeing pieces come together. i anticipate a long rebuild, sort of between ottawa and edmonton, but the fun part will be starting shortly and a young and hard working team is fun to watch!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:19 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
k know your stuff before posting. ottawa fans were on board with the rebuild and were for bryan murray to head it. spezza was producing like crazy and fans were praising him for his play all of last year.

that being said, i think after this season, the worst will be behind you. the draft will be fun and then you'll start seeing pieces come together. i anticipate a long rebuild, sort of between ottawa and edmonton, but the fun part will be starting shortly and a young and hard working team is fun to watch!
I think it'll be a 1 year rebuild much like you guys did. Our roster is littered with a great young mix in their mid 20 or younger. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Emelin, Eller, Gorges, Leblanc, White...

Throw in some vets like Cole, Plekanec and Bourque, and Tinordi and Beaulieau who are both about a year away and alot of the pieces are in place. We just need to hit on this 1st rounder big time.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:22 PM
JV

Quote:

WTF? You're creating a consenus among Sens fans that did not exist. Lots of people in the media and among fans thought that Murray should have been fired and lots of folks were not happy with Spezza and his habit of turning the puck over in the neutral zone. When things go south with any team, in any town, people will be divided on how to best fix the problems.

Know your stuff.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I think it'll be a 1 year rebuild much like you guys did. Our roster is littered with a great young mix in their mid 20 or younger. Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Emelin, Eller, Gorges, Leblanc, White...

Throw in some vets like Cole, Plekanec and Bourque, and Tinordi and Beaulieau who are both about a year away and alot of the pieces are in place. We just need to hit on this 1st rounder big time.
Well, aside from Pac, I don't see much in term of quality, but keep in mind I'm not sold on Subban, so you could be right. Oh, and Price, obviously. And Bourque I'd refrain from using as an example I do agree that this pick will be important for the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
WTF? You're creating a consenus among Sens fans that did not exist. Lots of people in the media and among fans thought that Murray should have been fired and lots of folks were not happy with Spezza and his habit of turning the puck over in the neutral zone. When things go south with any team, in any town, people will be divided on how to best fix the problems.

Know your stuff.
K, I'm not gonna get in a pissing contest here. Spezza stopped most of his lazy play last year and was being praised for his more responsible play. Also, while the team was doing poorly, most fans realized and accepted the rebuild and were happy to have Murray heading it. Keep in mind also, you are talking a calendar year. Murray had made some great moves at the deadline to set us up for the draft.

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:36 PM
GeneralManager*

people complaining about the habs being a last place team need to get their head scoped. being last place will finally allow us to get a legitimate lottery pick to grow and develop into a star. we ARE in last place because we have a moronic gm who has no clue and a clueless coach who has no idea what he's doing either...keep in mind he was also thrown under the bus by both his gm and owner. oh yah we are also missing our 30 goal scoring captain and the general who makes everything tick in andrei markov who we failed to find an adequate replacement for.

Our problems can be fixed quite quickly...

GeneralManager* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:40 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
So basically 4 rookies in the line-up in key roles. Yikes.

Emelin on his off-side? Yikes x2.

No Gionta? Yikes x3.
Ha, I cut pasted the wrong lineup from my lineup textedit sheet. (main difference being the Gionta/Gallagher swap, that lineup was if Gionta were traded).

This is the lineup I'd like to see by the end of next year:

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Bourque-Desharnais-Cole
Moen-Eller-Galchenyuk/Forsberg
Geoffrion-White-Staubitz/Schultz

Markov-Gorges
Emelin-Subban
Tinordi-Diaz

Price

And I really think Tinordi is going to move fast. I've watched a ton of London games, and while he still needs some coaching in regards to positioning, he is very close to NHL ready.

Old
03-05-2012, 12:42 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Well, aside from Pac, I don't see much in term of quality, but keep in mind I'm not sold on Subban, so you could be right. Oh, and Price, obviously. And Bourque I'd refrain from using as an example I do agree that this pick will be important for the franchise.
Well obviously you aren't too familiar with our roster.

Subban has turned it around since his awful sophomore slumpish start. I think by this time next year he'll be held in the same regard as Karlsson, less points for sure, but better defensively and way more physical. Desharnais has been a PPG for over 2 months now. Eller is a stud in the making. Emelin has already made himself the best hitter in the game. Leblanc and WHite look like top end bottom 6ers.