HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Omark to Oilers

Old
03-05-2012, 11:05 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I would be okay with no offense as long as it meant no turnovers. I'm not expecting that much given what he has gone through, but I'd like to see less of the bad at the very least.

As for Eberle to the PB
Yeah. Who knows, maybe knowing he doesn't have the legs will make him play a smarter, more cautious game. Y'know, assuming he has one, which is by no means clear.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth Movement View Post
Yeah, this is my worry. Awful asset management like during Harski's two go-rounds and next thing you know you have an exhausted player who can't keep up and a narrow minded fanbase that wants to flush him.

Edit: You know, I actually wouldn't be too upset if Omark saw the fourth line for these two games. His minutes will be reduced and he can ease his way back into NHL hockey with some PP minutes.
I'm thinking the same. Play with Belanger and whoever for 8-10 minutes and then give him some PP time if there is any penalties called.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:06 AM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I love the built in proactive excuses. Do well up here and no one will mention it further. Struggle and its already in place as a reason.

3 of the locations on the map don't even involve much travel. Peoria, Grand Rapids, Chicago would be less travel than AJHL clubs encounter. LA to SF is a short hop as well. Also pretty sure the team had a longbreak before the Peoria game.(so I'm not sure why "A" is listed on the map as travel. Did they travel to the Peoria game at the last minute?) Plus what better place to fly from than Chicago which would have a hell of a lot of connecting flights.

Lets be frank here. Any player that gets a callup is jacked. Fatigue is seldom really an issue in the first couple games up. Especially for a younger player.
4 games in 4 nights is a lot even if they were all home games. Call it a built in excuse if you like, but it's a legitimate concern IMO. 5 games in 5 nights is an even bigger challenge still. I know I certainly don't expect to see Omark's best today. And if he plays tomorrow, I would expect fatigue to be even more of a factor. Excitement or not, adrenaline can only carry you so far, and for so long.

03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Peoria was like 6 hours of travel or something. Maybe not horrible, but no exactly easy.

Travel aside. 4 games in 4 nights is a lot.

I'd almost sit him tonight just to give him rest and play him tomorrow.
The team had 4-5 days in a row off before Peoria. Did they do that travel same day? That would seem odd.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
4 games in 4 nights is a lot even if they were all home games. Call it a built in excuse if you like, but it's a legitimate concern IMO. 5 games in 5 nights is an even bigger challenge still. I know I certainly don't expect to see Omark's best today. And if he plays tomorrow, I would expect fatigue to be even more of a factor. Excitement or not, adrenaline can only carry you so far, and for so long.
Do we know how many minutes he's getting to be fatigued in 3 games after 5 days off? OKC I thought are pretty deep. Are they ragging Omark for big minutes. I tried checking and Barons doesn't seem to keep toi stats.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
The team had 4-5 days in a row off before Peoria. Did they do that travel same day? That would seem odd.
I don't know what did they traveled, which ever day Rocky Thompson was on Gregor's show.

Again travel aside 4 games in 4 nights is the key here.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:14 AM
Dabomb

So how many games does Omark have left before he has to start clearing waivers when assigned and brought up?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Do we know how many minutes he's getting to be fatigued in 3 games after 5 days off? OKC I thought are pretty deep. Are they ragging Omark for big minutes. I tried checking and Barons doesn't seem to keep toi stats.
I'm pretty sure he wasn't playing 10 minutes a night. He is their most offensive weapon, so I'm assuming he at the very least is playing top 6 time.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:16 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
So how many games does Omark have left before he has to start clearing waivers when assigned and brought up?
I thought it was 10 or less but someone here will be able to answer definitively.

Skm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:17 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
I love the built in proactive excuses. Do well up here and no one will mention it further. Struggle and its already in place as a reason.

3 of the locations on the map don't even involve much travel. Peoria, Grand Rapids, Chicago would be less travel than AJHL clubs encounter. LA to SF is a short hop as well. Also pretty sure the team had a longbreak before the Peoria game.(so I'm not sure why "A" is listed on the map as travel. Did they travel to the Peoria game at the last minute?) Plus what better place to fly from than Chicago which would have a hell of a lot of connecting flights.

Lets be frank here. Any player that gets a callup is jacked. Fatigue is seldom really an issue in the first couple games up. Especially for a younger player.
Well, this was predictable.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:21 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmingswerth View Post
I thought it was 10 or less but someone here will be able to answer definitively.
I think it's three games but it could be four. Not more than that.

My question is if he sticks, will he have to clear waivers to go down after the season is over to play in the AHL playoffs?

Old
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredMan View Post
Well, this was predictable.
Sure it is. But lost in the convo is the team had 5 days off in a row immediately PRIOR to the 3 game stint.

He should be exhausted and gas tank empty after 3 games?

Man nothing it all would get done in Ft Mac if people had concerns with this type of work schedule.

Poor baby.

Call ups almost always invariably result in hiccups for individual players that are called up. Its pro hockey, not a country club.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
joestevens29

Hypothetically Omark stays here for the rest of the year, does he have to clear waivers at the end of the year or could we send him down on some sort of conditioning stint?

Old
03-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Arpeggio

4 games in 4 nights is very tough, they don't even do that in Junior tournaments. 5 games in 5 is just ridiculous. I'm not expecting anything from Omark in either of these games. Call it an excuse if you want, but it's just the reality of the situation.

It doesn't matter that he had 5 days off prior, it's not like you gain extra energy from not playing for a longer period. Whatever energy you have after a day or two off is the same as having 5 days off.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Sure it is. But lost in the convo is the team had 5 days off in a row immediately PRIOR to the 3 game stint.

He should be exhausted and gas tank empty after 3 games?

Man nothing it all would get done in Ft Mac if people had concerns with this type of schedule.

Poor baby.

Call ups almost always invariably result in hickups for individual players that are called up. Its pro hockey, not a country club.
Hartikannen was and he is younger.....

Old
03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

it works both ways, omark supporters are already digging up old posts and i-told-you-so's from the past 2 years in the event he lights it up in his first few games, the boards will be flooded with them, either way Omark is going to have a 1000 post thread in his name.

when it comes to HFboards i find that omark is the go to subject when the board needs to argue.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I think it's three games but it could be four. Not more than that.

My question is if he sticks, will he have to clear waivers to go down after the season is over to play in the AHL playoffs?
Look right?
http://capgeek.com/waiver_calculator...009&Calculate=

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
4 games in 4 nights is very tough, they don't even do that in Junior tournaments. 5 games in 5 is just ridiculous. I'm not expecting anything from Omark in either of these games. Call it an excuse if you want, but it's just the reality of the situation.

It doesn't matter that he had 5 days off prior, it's not like you gain extra energy from not playing for a longer period. Whatever energy you have after a day or two off is the same as having 5 days off.
Just to set the record straight the NHL used to commonly run first rounds(especially when it was the 5 game format) with first 4 games in 5 nights. With back to back, a travel day off followed by a back to back in knock down drag out playoff level of intensity. The suggestion that Omark would be hopelessly spent after 3 games is overstating it.

I would Imagine Omark has energy tonight.

Last edited by Replacement: 03-05-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old
03-05-2012, 11:35 AM
hayer21

not expecting much from omark, but please don't pair him belanger. Does anyone know if renny has something against omark?

hayer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:36 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

these are professional athletes guys, 4 games in 4 days is not all that bad, they do practice almost everyday, im sure he will be fine. also im sure he took the bus/planes to his locales, he didnt run or ride a bike.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joestevens29

Quote:
Just to set the record straight the NHL used to commonly run first rounds(especially when it was the 5 game format) in 4 nights. With back to back, a travel day off followed by a back to back in knock down drag out playoff level of intensity. The suggestion that Omark would be hopelessly spent after 3 games is overstating it.

They don't anymore, I wonder why?

Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
it works both ways, omark supporters are already digging up old posts and i-told-you-so's from the past 2 years in the event he lights it up in his first few games, the boards will be flooded with them, either way Omark is going to have a 1000 post thread in his name.

when it comes to HFboards i find that omark is the go to subject when the board needs to argue.
The funny thing I find is nobody was making this excuse for Harti at the time or talking about it for several pages in a specific thread involving his callup. I doubt there even was a specific thread.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
IAGTTAYM

vCash: 333
Now I'm going to have to start watching Edmonton Oilers play again.

#OmarkAndSwedenForLife

IAGTTAYM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
They don't anymore, I wonder why?
An odd reply.

Why?

Players could manage it then fine. Why not now with increased fitness and training levels?

Old
03-05-2012, 11:39 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Just to set the record straight the NHL used to commonly run first rounds(especially when it was the 5 game format) in 4 nights. With back to back, a travel day off followed by a back to back in knock down drag out playoff level of intensity. The suggestion that Omark would be hopelessly spent after 3 games is overstating it.

Wow! 5 games in 4 nights! Now that's old time hockey!

Also, no one would be making any 'proactive excuses' if every single person on the Ducks and Oilers were in the same predicament as Omark. But they won't be.

Honest question: if this were Harski getting the callup, I'd be saying the exact same things I'm saying now. Can you say the same? Or is it just possible that you're letting your weird bias against Omark get the best of you and push you into taking your bizarre position that 'playing 4 games in 4 nights isn't so tough'?