HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NY Mets/Yankees Discussion Thread

Old
02-19-2012, 03:23 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

vCash: 500
With AJ gone, I don't think the rotation is a problem anymore. I see Hughes as a guy who could have a monster season. Sabathia/Pineda/Nova/Hughes/Kuroda (not really in a finalized order) with Garcia as the long man and injury replacement. I'm feeling really good about the Yankees this year.

IslesRock4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ates-1.3542433

TAMPA, Fla. -- A.J. Burnett officially has gone from the pinstripes to the Pirates.
Burnett passed his physical yesterday, and later in the day, MLB gave its approval -- required because of the amount of money involved -- to the Yankees-Pirates trade, meaning GM Brian Cashman now can address what he believes are his club's final two needs. First up is the likely signing of Raul Ibañez to be the DH against righties.

02-19-2012, 10:30 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseba...ates-1.3542433

TAMPA, Fla. -- A.J. Burnett officially has gone from the pinstripes to the Pirates.
Burnett passed his physical yesterday, and later in the day, MLB gave its approval -- required because of the amount of money involved -- to the Yankees-Pirates trade, meaning GM Brian Cashman now can address what he believes are his club's final two needs. First up is the likely signing of Raul Ibañez to be the DH against righties.
Good Luck to AJ, I hope he does well. It just wasn't a good fit for him here in NY. Raul Ibanez and Andruw Jones will be solid DH's. I can't wait in till 2 years to see Manny Banuelos pitch, he's going to be a stud pitcher.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Bunk Moreland

Mostly to my fellow Met fans here.. This site has some pretty cool Met's shirts... A couple Gary Carter tribute shirts.. I'm especially fond of the "This team makes me drink" shirt haha.

http://www.the7line.bigcartel.com/

They also just started a new site called Crosstown NY for the other NY teams including Jets/Giants and they have an Islanders shirt:

http://crosstownny.bigcartel.com/

*Warning there are a few Rags t-shirts on there as well.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2012, 11:04 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
Mostly to my fellow Met fans here.. This site has some pretty cool Met's shirts... A couple Gary Carter tribute shirts.. I'm especially fond of the "This team makes me drink" shirt haha.

http://www.the7line.bigcartel.com/

They also just started a new site called Crosstown NY for the other NY teams including Jets/Giants and they have an Islanders shirt:

http://crosstownny.bigcartel.com/

*Warning there are a few Rags t-shirts on there as well.
Thanks for posting this, I like the Jets airplane one...

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:03 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
With AJ gone, I don't think the rotation is a problem anymore. I see Hughes as a guy who could have a monster season. Sabathia/Pineda/Nova/Hughes/Kuroda (not really in a finalized order) with Garcia as the long man and injury replacement. I'm feeling really good about the Yankees this year.
If you ask me, the rotation wasn't a problem at all. At least last year it wasn't. AJ sucks, granted, but the reason the Yanks lost in the ALDS was because they couldn't get a big hit to save their lives. The pitchers did all they could and the offense choked and choked... and choked again.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:03 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Mets Owner must pay

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...anFfqOVOzHkp7J

Things are not looking good for Wilpon.. Hey Charles why dont you call and lend them some cash and be a part owner. Best investment youll ever make and at the same time you can buy the land next to Citi Field and build your own arena.

Reports are that Einhorn will make back a great profit for his minor investment.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

1) this will be tied up in courts for years. I don't expect this to come to an end till at least 2016.
2) if by 2016 the Wilpons lose & they have to pay & are forced to sell the team, odds are they'll drag that out for a few years also.
3) Wang can invest 20 million right now & get 4% of the Mets. but all that does is help to keep the Wilpons afloat in the meantime.
4) if Wang had an interest in buying the land next to Citi & building, then he should have put in a bid for the Willets Point Project. But he didn't, so he likely has no interest in moving to Queens unless someone builds an arena for him. It should be clear to all of us. Wang doesn't just want a team/arena. He wants a team/arena & a whole bunch of other real estate. If he wanted just an arena, it would have been built a decade ago.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:25 PM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
1) this will be tied up in courts for years. I don't expect this to come to an end till at least 2016.
2) if by 2016 the Wilpons lose & they have to pay & are forced to sell the team, odds are they'll drag that out for a few years also.
3) Wang can invest 20 million right now & get 4% of the Mets. but all that does is help to keep the Wilpons afloat in the meantime.
4) if Wang had an interest in buying the land next to Citi & building, then he should have put in a bid for the Willets Point Project. But he didn't, so he likely has no interest in moving to Queens unless someone builds an arena for him. It should be clear to all of us. Wang doesn't just want a team/arena. He wants a team/arena & a whole bunch of other real estate. If he wanted just an arena, it would have been built a decade ago.

The Wilpons have to pay 83 million immediately according to this judgement. Do they have it? ( asking because i really don't know)

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I assume they have the 83 million in personal fortune.

Things like the MLB loans and loans from the banks for the Mets are different though. There's Wilpons personal wealth & there's $ in the Mets and $ in Real Estate. Odds are the Wilpons are rich enough where they can take $ from their personal fortune, pay off all their debt, settle with picard for some obscene amount & still be doing fine.

But that's not what they're doing. The $ they owe MLB and the Banks, are being repaid with Mets $. Problem is, there is not as much Mets $ because the team used the Madoff $ to fund a large portion of the teams expenses in years past. So with that revenue stream now closed, they have to get all their revenue from ticket sales, concessions. corporate sponsorship etc. Problem is, attendance has been down & it's only going to get worse. I don't expect much more than 2 million @ Citi this year.

They can take $ from SNY to help offset all of this, but they treat SNY as a separate business. Which to me makes no damn sense. I understand the philosophy behind business men keeping their businesses separate. In other words you don't take $ out of your profitable ice cream store to help your struggling furniture store. But SNY & the Mets should be the same damn business. I somehow doubt that the Yankees don't reinvest the $ they make from YES into the team. The Wilpons take $ from SNY & reinvest it in SNY & pocket the rest. To me that completely eliminates the purpose to having your own network.

The sooner the Wilpons sell & take their black ****ing cloud with them, the better. Problem is, I don't see it happening for at least another 8 years. maybe more. IMO the Mets haven't even hit rock bottom yet from a financial POV.

They better hope & pray that Harvey, Wheeler, Familia & Mejia are the real deal. Those 4, along with some solid young hitters like Davis, Duda, Tejada & Murphy may be the Wilpons only hope to remain owners. Cause if those pitchers fail, & the Mets can't afford to go and bring in quality talent, then citi will be a ghost town for years.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

BTW. Mets 1st spring training game of the year is on SNY tonight at 6

Old
03-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Quote:

I dont see Bud Selig staying quiet for long, look what he did with the Dodgers. He came right out and took the team away from the owner.

I agree that Wang wants more but if he proposed something NOW and spent 20 million on the Mets then you will see Queens County and Mike Bloomberg bend over backwards to ensure that the Willets Project goes through. They will rubber stamp every demand!!

They play in Brooklyn from 2015 until completion. if he chose, Can he sell the rights to a developer in Nassau? Lets say if a group wants the land NOW and wont wait till 2015, can they offer him $$$

How does that work?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Difference between the Dodgers & Mets situation is that Bud Selig wasn't lifelong friends with Frank McCourt. Bud & Fred Wilpon are very close. That's why he hasn't done anything yet. If it was most any other franchise, MLB would have stepped in a year or 2 ago and taken over.

As for the NYI situation, I really shouldn't have even made mention of it. But anyone buying in to the Mets now is basically just a glorified season ticket holder. Except they actually have to buy their season tickets. They really don't get anything other than to say they're a part time owner of the Mets. There's no real power. Read this article if you care to know of the perks that part time owners will receive. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/21/sp...-the-deal.html

Also, the new minority owners don't have right of 1st refusal should Wilpon ever sell. Meaning they have no say over who Wilpon sells to. It's a giant scam, and the funniest part is that of the 7 shares they've reported have sold, 2 are SNY, 1 is Jeff Wilpon & 1 is Saul Katz who is Fred Wilpons brother in law or something. Saul has been a minority owner for years now.

It's basically a big scam that serves 1 purpose. Help the Wilpons stay afloat, and I don't want Wang to be apart of it.

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 03-05-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Not if Wang gets revenue bonds from NYC to build a stadium in the Citi Field parking lot ADJACENT to Willets Point. I don't think Wang was ever interested in developing WP since the Mets were thinking of buying the Isles. Now with Sterling barely hanging on to the Mets, perhaps their WP partners like Related or TDC can buy the the Isles from Wang.

•Hudson Yards developer The Related Companies, partnering with Sterling Equities, the real estate firm controlled by Mets owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz. The development area is across the street from the Mets' ballpark, Citi Field.

• TDC Development & Construction Corp., a Flushing, Queens-based firm that is developing Flushing Commons. It also has teamed up with Sterling.

Read more: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...#ixzz1oMamg500

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Reports are that Einhorn will make back a great profit for his minor investment.
The Einhorn deal is dead. He was set up to buy a minor stake with the team with a clause that would have more than likely made him majority owner in 3-4 years. Reports are Wilpon was gun shy and went to Bud Selig asking for Bud to be the bad guy and tell Einhorn such deals aren't allowed by MLB. Einhorn found out and killed the deal, the Mets are now offering minority shares of around 4% for $20 million and they have secured 7 people willing to invest.

I read on either the Post's or Daily New's website the "perks" of investing with the team and they were absolutely ridiculous. You get a business care with the Mets logo and the word OWNER under your name. Unlimited access to Mr. Mets for parties and functions. One day during the season minority owners will participate in a Mets mini camp on one of their off days. It wasn't a joke article... It's pretty sad haha.

Quote:
I assume they have the 83 million in personal fortune.

Things like the MLB loans and loans from the banks for the Mets are different though. There's Wilpons personal wealth & there's $ in the Mets and $ in Real Estate. Odds are the Wilpons are rich enough where they can take $ from their personal fortune, pay off all their debt, settle with picard for some obscene amount & still be doing fine.

But that's not what they're doing. The $ they owe MLB and the Banks, are being repaid with Mets $. Problem is, there is not as much Mets $ because the team used the Madoff $ to fund a large portion of the teams expenses in years past. So with that revenue stream now closed, they have to get all their revenue from ticket sales, concessions. corporate sponsorship etc. Problem is, attendance has been down & it's only going to get worse. I don't expect much more than 2 million @ Citi this year.

They can take $ from SNY to help offset all of this, but they treat SNY as a separate business. Which to me makes no damn sense. I understand the philosophy behind business men keeping their businesses separate. In other words you don't take $ out of your profitable ice cream store to help your struggling furniture store. But SNY & the Mets should be the same damn business. I somehow doubt that the Yankees don't reinvest the $ they make from YES into the team. The Wilpons take $ from SNY & reinvest it in SNY & pocket the rest. To me that completely eliminates the purpose to having your own network.

The sooner the Wilpons sell & take their black ****ing cloud with them, the better. Problem is, I don't see it happening for at least another 8 years. maybe more. IMO the Mets haven't even hit rock bottom yet from a financial POV.

They better hope & pray that Harvey, Wheeler, Familia & Mejia are the real deal. Those 4, along with some solid young hitters like Davis, Duda, Tejada & Murphy may be the Wilpons only hope to remain owners. Cause if those pitchers fail, & the Mets can't afford to go and bring in quality talent, then citi will be a ghost town for years.
Dude that was one extremely well put assessment of the Mets situation.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I really like what Terry is doing this spring by having the prospects play early. Nice to see Harvey, Familia & Nimmo. Nimmo looked quite good in his 2 ABs today. worked out a walk. looked very calm & patient doing so. and then slashed a hard grounder to 3rd where he was thrown out by a step. he's fast.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Bunk Moreland

I really think Nimmo's got some real potential to develop into a stud. Just sucks with baseball that (most) prospects take a long time to develop into major leaguers.

Old
03-16-2012, 06:52 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Wow, Andy Pettitte making a comeback with the Yanks. Crazy.

My Yankees are going to be absolutely scary this season.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Wow, Andy Pettitte making a comeback with the Yanks. Crazy.

My Yankees are going to be absolutely scary this season.
Can't wait to see what they do.

Homeland Security is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Nice to see Andy back. Would much rather him the 5th starter than Hughes or Garcia.

I do however not like how athletes retire and then come back again. I understand things change, but just not a big fan.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Nice to see Andy back. Would much rather him the 5th starter than Hughes or Garcia.

I do however not like how athletes retire and then come back again. I understand things change, but just not a big fan.
Andy has been a great Yankee. I just worry that at his age, after not pitching for an entire year, he just won't be able to put it together. I hope I'm wrong.

I guess this means Hughes moves to the bullpen. I can't say I am entirely against that since that is where he has been most dominant. We all forget that because of how poorly he pitched as a starter last year but out of the pen he is lights out. You have a back end with Hughes, Robertson and Mo... watch out. 1996 all over again. Lead after 6 innings? Game, set and match.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:18 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
Andy has been a great Yankee. I just worry that at his age, after not pitching for an entire year, he just won't be able to put it together. I hope I'm wrong.I guess this means Hughes moves to the bullpen. I can't say I am entirely against that since that is where he has been most dominant. We all forget that because of how poorly he pitched as a starter last year but out of the pen he is lights out. You have a back end with Hughes, Robertson and Mo... watch out. 1996 all over again. Lead after 6 innings? Game, set and match.
I agree.... He wont be ready until about May anyway...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

BTW, I was kind of wrong about this being tied up in courts for years.

There is a 10 day limit to how long this trial can last. I didn't even know things like that we possible, but in civil court I guess it is.

But it will still be tied up for a long time because whoever loses will no doubt appeal.

Old
03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I assure you this is not me being a Yankee hater or anything (Frankly I don't really care what they do unless they're playing the NLE teams). But Pettitte coming back is just so sad. Why can't these athletes retire & stay retired?

Old
03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
I assure you this is not me being a Yankee hater or anything (Frankly I don't really care what they do unless they're playing the NLE teams). But Pettitte coming back is just so sad. Why can't these athletes retire & stay retired?
I think part of it has to do with the players ability when he retires. Andy was still near the top of his game when he retired. If you know you can still do it, it probably eats at you knowing that in a couple years your physical ability will be gone forever. When a guy gets old and completely runs out of gas, you hardly ever see a guy like that attempt a comeback.