HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Injury Talk 4.0: Markov practicing with the team, now with contact

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Habit11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
they said once he practices with contact, he can play...does it mean he's in the lineup for next game? maybe the habs go undefeated the rest of the way, squeak into the playoffs and win the cup?
http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...tid=66&lang=en

He said he needs more time. He also said (sarcastically) that he might score 2 goals on his first shift.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Markov, stay away for the season.

Else I will hate you worse than Mr. Hab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Seriously... I hope we don't play this guy until there are about 5 games left. High pick is far more important than testing out Markov's knee. Also, I wouldn't mind just letting Markov heal. It's a lost season anyway. Just sit him.
I really do not understand this.

It's not like this team is a Markov away from winning consistently.

I think it is imperative that Markov gets some games in this season. If he doesn't, that is another 90 or so days of not playing NHL hockey, making the total what? Over two whole years, not desirable IMO. If he is healed, and ready to play, he will play...it is as simple as that.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:41 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post

I think it is imperative that Markov gets some games in this season. If he doesn't, that is another 90 or so days of not playing NHL hockey, making the total what? Over two whole years, not desirable IMO. If he is healed, and ready to play, he will play...it is as simple as that.
He can play the last three games of the season.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Quote:

Yup. Markov needs to get in the lineup ASAP and if all goes well, should play in the worlds. If this guys' knee holds up, he needs to get into high-level games and get back into the groove of things. Waiting any longer means potentially waiting until next September. There would be nothing to gain by doing that.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

The "race for 2nd last" is very tight and we're 'competing' with some very bad teams. He could be the difference between a 2nd pick overall and one outside the top five. Plus there's no reason to rush him back.

I'd prefer he not come back this season at all. We don't really gain much from his return anyway... and it could hurt us for the future. I don't see the point.

Old
03-05-2012, 01:55 PM
29dryden29

And Markov re injures knee in 3 2 1

Old
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
The "race for 2nd last" is very tight and we're 'competing' with some very bad teams. He could be the difference between a 2nd pick overall and one outside the top five. Plus there's no reason to rush him back.

I'd prefer he not come back this season at all. We don't really gain much from his return anyway... and it could hurt us for the future. I don't see the point.
He gains a lot though...

I don't know why everyone is so worried about where we finish, Habs are obviously going to get a top 10 pick.

Other than Yakupov, it's a bit of a crapshoot at the top of the draft. You're likely to get as good a player at #8 or 9 than you are #2.

What's imperative is for the Habs to make sure they nail whatever pick they do land

Old
03-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Markov needs to get a couple of games in, it helps us know with more certainty whether or not to have him in the plans while making summer moves.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:02 PM
CGG

It really pisses me off that there's some idiot fans out there that are actually hoping that Markov never comes back just so they can say "Told you so!!!!!".

I for one can't wait to see the guy back on the ice, clearing the puck with ease and QB'ing the PP.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Help
Help Yourself

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
And Markov re injures knee in 3 2 1
Oh ye of little faith... You'll see in due time that Markov's knee will be just fine and dandy

Old
03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He gains a lot though...

I don't know why everyone is so worried about where we finish, Habs are obviously going to get a top 10 pick.

Other than Yakupov, it's a bit of a crapshoot at the top of the draft. You're likely to get as good a player at #8 or 9 than you are #2.

What's imperative is for the Habs to make sure they nail whatever pick they do land
Theres an exceptional difference between Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg vs. Gaunce, Collberg, Faksa and Aberg.

Only Collberg and Aberg have the potential of being number 1 players, none of them the potential to be franchise players.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

I want to tank as much as most people here , but being able to gauge whether or not Markov can be counted on is arguably much more important for the franchise for a number of reasons:

1. Outside of Yakupov, there may be 5-6 guys that are on the same level (Forsberg, Collberg, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Murray, Dumba...), as others have alluded to, and we have a very high likelihood of landing a top 10 pick, with or without Markov.

2. Markov is arguably the best player on the team. If he can play 15 games this season and stay healthy, that really changes how the GM (whether it's Goats or someone new hopefully) goes about building the D.

3. Elite defensemen don't grow on trees, and if Markov can't come back, it's unlikely that we'll be able to find an adequate replacement on the UFA market (everybody wants to sign a guy like Suter), via a trade or via the draft (even if we draft Murray or Dumba, those guys won't come close to being able to replace Markov for several years).

Edit: I'd like to add that the Habs have a severe lack of talent on the wings right now, and I wouldn't worry about Markov coming back ruining our chances at tanking. Even with Markov, I'm optimistic we'll land a top 5 pick .

Last edited by Slew Foots: 03-05-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 02:11 PM

Great news but take your time Markov please. First practice with the team then play with 7 D and bring him in slowly by increasing his minutes by a little every game.

No need to re-injure and no need to **** up the tank. Play Kaberle and Campoli 20 minutes.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:13 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Are there any other good hockey players who have come back from replacement surgery the way Markov is ?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:14 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I want to tank as much as most people here , but being able to gauge whether or not Markov can be counted on is arguably much more important for the franchise for a number of reasons:

1. Outside of Yakupov, there may be 5-6 guys that are on the same level (Forsberg, Collberg, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Murray, Dumba...), as others have alluded to, and we have a very high likelihood of landing a top 10 pick, with or without Markov.

2. Markov is arguably the best player on the team. If he can play 15 games this season and stay healthy, that really changes how the GM (whether it's Goats or someone new hopefully) goes about building the D.

3. Elite defensemen don't grow on trees, and if Markov can't come back, it's unlikely that we'll be able to find an adequate replacement on the UFA market (everybody wants to sign a guy like Suter), via a trade or via the draft (even if we draft Murray or Dumba, those guys won't come close to being able to replace Markov for several years).
Monsieur Markov will play a dozen games, test his knee, get in game shaepe.... And play for Russia in the next World Championship...

Then, will get hurt, come back for training camp next September and spent the season on IR, getting paid 6 million....

Old
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Awesome. Im scared.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
He gains a lot though...

How does he gain a lot from this? Seriously man, there's no real gain for him other than feeling good about getting back to playing.

As for it being a 'crapshoot'... I'd rather let Timmins make that decision with a higher pick. Hell, if we finished 2nd last we'd actually have an outside shot at winning the lottery and getting Yakupov.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Theres an exceptional difference between Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, Forsberg vs. Gaunce, Collberg, Faksa and Aberg.

Only Collberg and Aberg have the potential of being number 1 players, none of them the potential to be franchise players.
That's debateable...not sure I agree entirely with that.

Either way, Habs could finish the season with the 3rd worst record and still lose out of the top 5 with the draft lottery.

The draft is very much a crapshoot, nothing is guaranteed so trying to position yourself 4 months before the draft is pretty pointless IMO. The season is not done, and as far as i'm concerned, preparations for the 2012-2013 season should already be underway, one of the things they need to prepare for is whether they can depend on Markov or not.

I'm in full support of Markov getting any playing time between now and the end of the year and would even fully support him playing at the WC's next month.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
The draft may be a crap shoot but thats only outside the top 7.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Trouba.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
How does he gain a lot from this? Seriously man, there's no real gain for him other than feeling good about getting back to playing.

As for it being a 'crapshoot'... I'd rather let Timmins make that decision with a higher pick. Hell, if we finished 2nd last we'd actually have an outside shot at winning the lottery and getting Yakupov.
Again, overcoming the mental barrier of not playing for almost 2 solid years is a huge barrier to overcome for any athlete. It might not play into your "tank vision" but I don't see why they have to be connected.

Markov or no Markov, this team is going to have a top 10 pick this year. He's not going to magically step into the lineup and turn this team into a playoff contender.

I have trouble understanding how you can feel there's no gain for him other than 'feeling good'. The guy has worked hard to try to get back in the lineup this year, if he's at the point where he can play than that's a huge accomplishment for him.

I don't know what you think he's been doing the last 18 months, but rehab is a long and painful process, both physiaclly and mentally.

Again, you might not think there's any benefit but for the guy whose put himself through the ringer the last 18 months, it's HUGE.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
True Tick and Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaHabsFan View Post
Are there any other good hockey players who have come back from replacement surgery the way Markov is ?
James Wisniewski is an oft-cited example. Same story as Markov I believe.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
The draft may be a crap shoot but thats only outside the top 7.

Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Trouba.
Other than Yakupov, scouts are all over the place with the other players mentioned.

I trust Timmins to find a good player at whatever slot Habs end up with.

Old
03-05-2012, 02:28 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Markov can come back as soon as we're entrenched firmly in the to 5 of the draft,

Old
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM

What a great organizational message to send your player

"Hey Mr. Markov, can you put your nearly 2 year rehab on hold? We're busy tanking"

Come on

Old
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
phoque taupe

vCash: 50
Even if Markov has a huge positive impact on the team..
The General will be powerless with Campoli/Kaberle + half of an AHL line-up

I guess im very optimistic for that top 3 pick

Closed Thread