HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Will Hejduk return next year?

Old
03-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Hans Landaskog

vCash: 50
Will Hejduk return next year?

I think there is a good possibility he may not next year pending if there is anything going on with him that could be addressed in the summer, but his drop-off has been quite significant.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:39 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
I think there is a good possibility he may not next year pending if there is anything going on with him that could be addressed in the summer, but his drop-off has been quite significant.
Good debate. I'm thinking hes going through a bad run. I think odds are he is back

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Physically, he looks good. Mentally, he looks lost.

I wish he could reach 1,000 games, but I think it would be best to part ways and him to retire as an Av.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:47 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
I still think so. My hope is fading though as he looks like a ghost of his old self and I don't know why. It doesn't look like he's labouring with an injury or anything.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
GamingGiant

If he continues to play the way he has been, then I would think he's going to retire.

Should he turn it around these last 15 games then maybe not.

GamingGiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
He is pretty much my all time fav Av player, and I hope not. Its his time

We need to go out and sign Parise to fill his spot

Lando - RoR - Downie
Parise - Statsny - Jones
Olver - Duchene - Mueller
McGinn - McClement - X

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
I hope not.

Appreciate everything he has done for this franchise but he's pretty much finished. The Avs would be forced to play him out of respect even though there are probably better guys sitting in the press box. We might even run into that problem this season if everyone is healthy at the same time. Connolly will go back down for Downie but who sits for Kobasew? Right now I think Kobasew has been playing better than Hejduk and his playing style is a lot better for the 4th line. But the Avs might be forced to play Hejduk because he's the captain. Don't want to run into these problems next season as well.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I hope not.

Appreciate everything he has done for this franchise but he's pretty much finished. The Avs would be forced to play him out of respect even though there are probably better guys sitting in the press box. We might even run into that problem this season if everyone is healthy at the same time. Connolly will go back down for Downie but who sits for Kobasew? Right now I think Kobasew has been playing better than Hejduk and his playing style is a lot better for the 4th line. But the Avs might be forced to play Hejduk because he's the captain. Don't want to run into these problems next season as well.
Agreed. Its a shame when you wish we could scratch him

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I hope not.

Don't you think this young avs team needs any experience we can get though? I mean, he's the only remaining stanley cup champ (of the Sakic/Roy era) left. I think we need him as a veteran.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPride View Post
Don't you think this young avs team needs any experience we can get though? I mean, he's the only remaining stanley cup champ (of the Sakic/Roy era) left. I think we need him as a veteran.
If he retires then we have a roster spot open for a free agent, who could be a top 6 forward with size, goalscoring ability, and veteran leadership.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
If he retires then we have a roster spot open for a free agent, who could be a top 6 forward with size, goalscoring ability, and veteran leadership.
Man with ownership itll be hard to sign a big contract i think... we can always hope though
and looking at cap geek, it seems pretty thin out there. Comon parise!

Last edited by WornWithPride: 03-05-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: More detail
Old
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
It will be his decision.

If nothing else, this organization has proved time and time again it will not turn its back on anyone from "the glory years".

Hejduk could skate on one leg and they'd still let him come back if he wanted to.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:15 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephtones View Post
Not if they re-sign everybody.

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Olver-Duchene-Mueller
McLeod-McClement-Kobasew
Malone/Connolly/etc.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
I think he plays one more season. Do I think were better off without him next season prolly but I think management brings him back. Watching him play on the 4th is gut wrenching but at this point thats where he needs to play sadly.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPride View Post
Some leadership and experience would be nice for next season but is a 37 year old Hejduk really the right guy for the job? I don't think you can overlook the fact that he is playing very poorly just because he has experience. If he plays like this next season as well, he would probably bring his younger/faster linemates down. Leadership and experience can only take you so far. Just look at Foote's last season.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Hans Landaskog

I think pending injuries the roster we have is fine minus a defensman. If he retires we can fill his spot fairly easily. As far as caphit the Avs hit will go up quite a bit this summer.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OReally View Post
I think pending injuries the roster we have is fine minus a defensman. If he retires we can fill his spot fairly easily. As far as caphit the Avs hit will go up quite a bit this summer.
Awesome user name. That should be his new nickname.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
jped86

yes....our RW is weak enough with him, who would replace him? They also made him captain for a reason. he means a lot for the team. most guys in their young 20's he can definitely bring a lot to the table in terms of experience and how to be an everyday nhler

jped86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Pure

vCash: 665
Fire Sacco, and we'll see Hejduk back to his old self. Love to have hejduk back. He is physically fine.

Pure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:49 PM
The Shermanator
Knee Brace Season

I have a feeling we will make a strong playoff push and maybe get in on a goal from Hejduk in the last game.

The Shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
I didn't read more then the first couple posts, but I think he'll be back for one more year. If not on the top 2 lines, he'll be in a defensive third line role much like Steve Yzerman's last year in Detroit. There's no shame in that. He's still plenty competent for that kind of role if he wants it.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 140
If he comes back, it needs to be with the recognition of everyone involved that he's no longer a top 6 forward. I think he's good enough defensively to still contribute on the 3rd or 4th line, but we can't afford a repeat of this year when he got top 6 minutes despite clearly having lost his ability to compete at that level.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:15 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
There is still 15 games left. I would like to see him play on Duchene's wing for the remainder of the season. I'll say the same thing I did about Jones. If he turns it around, it would be an enormous boost for this team, and could vault us into the playoffs. IMO, he has more potential to push us into the playoffs than Connolly, Kobasew, or Olver (Who are solid hockey players and could be in the future).

Lets go back to this thread at the end of the season, not when he is playing his worst.

Last edited by bohlmeister: 03-05-2012 at 05:25 PM.
bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

There's a reason why everyone not named Landeskog and O'Reilly have struggled this year. They are the only two that have been paired together all season long.

IMO, Hejduk has struggled because of a number of things. First, IMO, he has an undisclosed injury to an arm/wrist/hand/shoulder. Just watch him try and handle the puck, or shoot He looks like a completely different player that we all know. I also think getting the C has had an effect on his play mentally.

In addition, this team isn't an open skating, play making unit anymore. They play dump and chase, and that is not his, nor Duchene's game. Further, he was paired with Lando and ROR for a large stretch. Again, a grinding pair that's not exactly the type of players he excels with. Another reason is because Duchene has been forced as a winger on the line with he and Staz. While he has had some chemistry with Duchene in the past, they don't work together with Stastny (Also why Stastny has struggled). There's also a reason why all three of Staz, Jones, and Hejduk played their best this year when paired together.

A new coach would do him and most everyone else wonders, IMO. I think he could play 2-3 more years easily, if he wants.

Bill Peckerskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:26 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Probably, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll be for the Colorado Avalanche.

Struggling or not, Milan Hejduk can't be happy about playing on a line with Jay McClement and Cody McLeod. If he doesn't pick it up a bit and Greg Sherman tells him they won't be offering a contract, he might bolt a la Marcus Naslund or Mike Modano.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote