HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Markov and Mangement Plans

Old
03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Young Gun

vCash: 500
Markov and Mangement Plans

Just reading that markov may be back for a few games before the season is over, not that i care much if he is or not, almost to planned to save face for me. Maybe it's some kind of insurance thing or something.

My concern is more of what the management team will do when putting this team on paper over the summer.
Will they pencil markov in as a regular, leaving the team with
markov pk
gorges kabs
emelin diaz
webber

Or will they go sign a d-man, and look at markov as gravy, if he's good to go.

If this team goes into the start of next season with the markov thing still not
100% worked out, it will be this season 2.0

My vote would be, sign the best d guy you can get in the summer, cover all bases
when it comes to the defense for next season. We all saw what happened this
season, forced to sign kabs and campoli.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
SeriousHabs

We didn't sign Kabs. Failing next season is much better than failing this season.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:00 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

We have ton of cap space to send, and most likely sign another stay at home d-men, ex Allen, Jackman. And I think Markov is going to play this year because he can, no saving face thing, no issurance thing. If he can play, he will if not he won't.

IMO going into next year we'll see something like

Markov-Emelin
Allen/Jackman-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
Daiz

you can mix and match, keep Kaberle and if Markov proves to be more than fine, you can always trade Kaberle during the season, before anyone says "no one will take Kaberle", go look up what Zidlicky got, who is worse than Kaberle.

habs03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
My concern is more of what the management team will do when putting this team on paper over the summer.
That is why he is likely to play before the season is over. So the management team has a better idea if they can pencil him into the lineup or not.

It's not to save face.

Quote:
My vote would be, sign the best d guy you can get in the summer, cover all bases
when it comes to the defense for next season. We all saw what happened this
season, forced to sign kabs and campoli.
If it were only that easy....

What if the best guy you can get to agree to sign here is in the same class as campoli or kabs?

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Lshap

Human Psychology 101: People have difficulty imaging beyond the immediate. We haven't seen Markov play in ages, therefore most of us can't imagine him coming back and being good.

But he is coming back. And he'll probably be damn good. This entire, protracted, ridiculous 15-month wait has been about one thing: making sure Markov will be able to return as a healthy, productive player on our team. He hasn't been rehabbing in order to sit out even longer. Once he's 100%, he plays. After his body is at 100%, his confidence needs to follow, which is why he needs to be out there in game situations, to make sure his mind is as game-ready as his knee.

Yeah, all of us will be holding our breath as he steps out for the first time, we'll all be closing our eyes as he goes into the corner for the first hit, and then, eventually, we'll all chill and enjoy watching him become another player on the team.

Of course anything could happen. Markov could get injured again. But I think he'll be no more fragile than most players. I mean, he's just as likely to get a concussion.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

If we can sign Suter, it will make Markov and Kaberle redundant and expendable.

If not, Markov is our guy unless he gets another serious injury, in that case he is almost certainly done here.

Kaberle, who cares.

My plan for management is - if we don't make the playoffs this year, they're toast.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:33 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Human Psychology 101: People have difficulty imaging beyond the immediate. We haven't seen Markov play in ages, therefore most of us can't imagine him coming back and being good.

But he is coming back. And he'll probably be damn good. This entire, protracted, ridiculous 15-month wait has been about one thing: making sure Markov will be able to return as a healthy, productive player on our team. He hasn't been rehabbing in order to sit out even longer. Once he's 100%, he plays. After his body is at 100%, his confidence needs to follow, which is why he needs to be out there in game situations, to make sure his mind is as game-ready as his knee.

Yeah, all of us will be holding our breath as he steps out for the first time, we'll all be closing our eyes as he goes into the corner for the first hit, and then, eventually, we'll all chill and enjoy watching him become another player on the team.

Of course anything could happen. Markov could get injured again. But I think he'll be no more fragile than most players. I mean, he's just as likely to get a concussion.
The habs are gonna play with teams which are fighting for a playoffs' spot. It will be high intensity playoffs' like hockey. Markov is my no means in game shape. So it is a very dangerous situation to play him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:47 PM
phoque taupe

Better having him injured right now and have the whole summer to deal with the situation.

Having him injured on game #7 of next season will only bring back the tank memes

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:50 PM
gusfring

Please stop with the Suter talk - he isn't coming here...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:07 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Add Parise to the list.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
Add Parise to the list.
I don't know why folks keep dreaming about this. No way either guy comes here.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:22 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I don't know why folks keep dreaming about this. No way either guy comes here.
Indeed. Plus they'll be superfluous after Radulov will sign over

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:27 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

I'm surprised the OP didn't suggest to trade Price.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:31 PM
fatmax

Other theory that might be suitable:
1. give Markov some confidence back and help him mentally since he has been away for very long
2. If Markov is no longer in team plan in the long term, it would be wise to convinve other teams (as well as habs managment) where he is in terms of play (we all know what he could do prior his injuries, how about now?)
3. Test Markov's knee prior summert, if he re-injure him-self, he might want to step back and look at what's his future as a hockey player.

All in all, it is only positive

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Indeed. Plus they'll be superfluous after Radulov will sign over
How can we afford Radulov after we land Getzlaf for Plekanec and Weber?

Old
03-05-2012, 03:56 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If we can sign Suter, it will make Markov and Kaberle redundant and expendable.

If not, Markov is our guy unless he gets another serious injury, in that case he is almost certainly done here.

Kaberle, who cares.

My plan for management is - if we don't make the playoffs this year, they're toast.
5 minutes into his first game ...Down goes Markov

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
How can we afford Radulov after we land Getzlaf for Plekanec and Weber?
If our first rounder turns out to be like 18yrs old, we will need Rad & Getz , whatever it takes, just have these 2 in the lineup nx fall.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
I'm surprised the OP didn't suggest to trade Price.
With all the talk about 7 mill for price's next contract, why waste money, let some other team pay a goalie 7 mill per year.

Trade Price( possible 7 mill) and Plek( 5 mill) for Radulov and Getzlaf. Average goalie will do fine on a stacked team.

Everyone's always saying you got to give up something to get something good coming back. Its Price, PK or Mac pac, along with plek's that other GM's will want.

Money managment wise, it's Carey Price out of the three guys. Mac pac is very cap friendly and Pk will be cap friendly, price will be looking for the home run, imo, something he's not earned.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The habs are gonna play with teams which are fighting for a playoffs' spot. It will be high intensity playoffs' like hockey. Markov is my no means in game shape. So it is a very dangerous situation to play him.
Markov will only play once he IS in game shape, and at that point he has to jump right in. A fearful Markov is as useless as an injured Markov. If he's treated like a glass doll, he'll play like one.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Failing Hands

I firmly believe Markov is done. Even if Markov ends up playing, guys know he's been out and they'll be targeting that knee. You're naive to think otherwise. I could be wrong, but he is like a china doll at this point, IMO.

Failing Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Markov will only play once he IS in game shape, and at that point he has to jump right in. A fearful Markov is as useless as an injured Markov. If he's treated like a glass doll, he'll play like one.
You cannot be in game shape IF you're not playing a single game. That's why we have training camps.

I would send him down to Hamilton for 4-5 games.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:52 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
With all the talk about 7 mill for price's next contract, why waste money, let some other team pay a goalie 7 mill per year.

Trade Price( possible 7 mill) and Plek( 5 mill) for Radulov and Getzlaf. Average goalie will do fine on a stacked team.

Everyone's always saying you got to give up something to get something good coming back. Its Price, PK or Mac pac, along with plek's that other GM's will want.

Money managment wise, it's Carey Price out of the three guys. Mac pac is very cap friendly and Pk will be cap friendly, price will be looking for the home run, imo, something he's not earned.
No F way ... !

Old
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failing Hands View Post
I firmly believe Markov is done. Even if Markov ends up playing, guys know he's been out and they'll be targeting that knee. You're naive to think otherwise. I could be wrong, but he is like a china doll at this point, IMO.
So then, wouldn't it make sense to know this now instead of October? It's not like he's going to get stronger than 100%.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
ChoseLa

Sign Barret Jackmen, he's exactly what this team needs. A hard as nail stay-at-home defencemen.

Markov - Jackmen
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Emelin
Diaz - Weber

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:29 PM
blueinmtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Sign Barret Jackmen, he's exactly what this team needs. A hard as nail stay-at-home defencemen.
The nice thing about Jackman (or similar) is how he pushes everyone down a spot if Markov can't play. It also allows us to split up PK & Gorges, play Emelin with one of them Jackman with the other (Emelin and Gorges was a really good pairing this season); or even try an Emelin-Diaz duo and have Jackman cover for useless Kaberle as the 2nd pairing (who I bet will be with the team next year because of his near-unmovable contract - unless PG gets a job somewhere else).

Sorry not thinking about left or right d-men, just think the coverage if Markov can't go is maybe top priority.

blueinmtl is offline   Reply With Quote