HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
03-05-2012, 03:23 PM
yankeeking

vCash: 500
"And sorry, I don't believe that PSP or anyone else has been right much more than the rest of the people on these boards have been about things over the years. Everyone hits something on the head, we all have opinions and they will be right from time to time."partial kingsfan repost

there is a difference from saying your wrong with regards to opinion and there is wrong in saying your wrong because you won't buy into the same stuff we have been promised for decades without getting some results first, Fact is we ARE in year six of the rebuild that had a five year plan and for awhile it looked like rebuilds under the maguire's ,the sam the disater mcmaster, and unfourtunately under taylor where we would get kids and then send them off to save jobs not better the teams so if you have lived thru that and still to this day come back and buy seats and live and die with the team you do get the right to offer your opinion either pos. or neg.without having to take grief over it, save that crap for trolling the ducks or canuks board,(just kidding mods. I have leaned my lesson since the last probation lol)

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:35 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
"And sorry, I don't believe that PSP or anyone else has been right much more than the rest of the people on these boards have been about things over the years. Everyone hits something on the head, we all have opinions and they will be right from time to time."partial kingsfan repost

there is a difference from saying your wrong with regards to opinion and there is wrong in saying your wrong because you won't buy into the same stuff we have been promised for decades without getting some results first, Fact is we ARE in year six of the rebuild that had a five year plan and for awhile it looked like rebuilds under the maguire's ,the sam the disater mcmaster, and unfourtunately under taylor where we would get kids and then send them off to save jobs not better the teams so if you have lived thru that and still to this day come back and buy seats and live and die with the team you do get the right to offer your opinion either pos. or neg.without having to take grief over it, save that crap for trolling the ducks or canuks board,(just kidding mods. I have leaned my lesson since the last probation lol)
This is pretty much what I was saying as well.

The point is that all of us are entitled to or at least allowed to offer our opinions. I contend that we should deal with each other with more respect then happens from time to time only because we are all Kings fans and whether you are bashing the team or extolling their better virtues, we are all supposed to be live and die for the same team types and as such, should be expected to give and receive a certain amount of respect. It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with each other, we should remember that we are all fans of the same team when debating.

I don't think it matters if you buy seats for the team currently or have in the past in regards to posting here. To me what matters the most is that we remember that we are all Kings fans and as such should afford each other with so much respect rather then attacking the poster when you disagree with the message.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Johnny Utah

For some reason trading away Johnson doesn't nearly bother me as much as the Penner and Richards deals. Either because I don't mind what we gave up for Carter or how he is playing; but for some reason it doesn't phase me much.

I guess that is high praise for Voynov in a way.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:22 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

I'm not a fan of the Kings as long as someone like a PSP, but I have been a fan since the 92-93 season, when I was 14 years old. I've had a front row seat to the disaster this franchise has been for close to the past 20 years. I'm not happy with how the Kings have played this season, but I will say this about the folks who are consistently negative. They have been negative ever since there have been internet message boards for this team. Even when the Kings beat the Red Wings to get past the first round of the playoffs, the negative nancy's were claiming that it only happened because of Shanahan & Yzerman being out and injured.

I think the people that are negative, aren't specifically negative Kings fans. I'm guessing they are just negative people in general and that is there attitude towards life. I suppose they would be happy if the Kings won the cup, but I wouldn't put it past them to find some new topic to focus their ire on pretty quickly after that.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:50 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
The best part of this goal is where he was standing the entire time before he finally got the shot. He's not Holmstrom in this clip, but he spent more time in front of the goalie here than Penner has in a game.
Good post. If you look back at more of Carter's goals this year and most of his goals throughout his career, I see three key points:

1. He knows where to be
2. He uses his big body and speed to his advantage
3. His shot is his biggest asset

Now, with that said, the main negatives I heard about him before coming to LA was his inconsistent play. But if you look at those 3 key points, I don't know how many of those key points apply to the rest of the team.

#1 to maybe Willy? Brownie's terror of late looks like he's finally learning
#2 to ...? Should be Penner, but he has lead skates and certainly needs to learn to not get bumped off the puck, and
#3 to maybe Kopitar, and Stoll (but only in the shootout. During the game, um, not so much...)

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
I'm not a fan of the Kings as long as someone like a PSP, but I have been a fan since the 92-93 season, when I was 14 years old. I've had a front row seat to the disaster this franchise has been for close to the past 20 years. I'm not happy with how the Kings have played this season, but I will say this about the folks who are consistently negative. They have been negative ever since there have been internet message boards for this team. Even when the Kings beat the Red Wings to get past the first round of the playoffs, the negative nancy's were claiming that it only happened because of Shanahan & Yzerman being out and injured.

I think the people that are negative, aren't specifically negative Kings fans. I'm guessing they are just negative people in general and that is there attitude towards life. I suppose they would be happy if the Kings won the cup, but I wouldn't put it past them to find some new topic to focus their ire on pretty quickly after that.
I think we don't want the comparison of being lumped in with another team's loveable losers (MLB's Cubs)... The losing atmosphere gets too much from time to time even for us diehards to bear and we have to let it out...

Next February will mark my 40th year being a Kings fan...but I'll never admit to being a day over 39...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I appreciate the understanding and support

October 2013 will be 40 years for me as a Kings fan - and I was 21 then. It's been a real struggle on many different levels over the years, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My struggle now is that I've been doing a project in Charlotte, NC for the last 3 months. Watching the games online starting at 10:30 has given me a better understanding why the East never seemed to know much about the Kings - 5:30AM comes around pretty darn fast when the games don't end until after 1AM. Hopefully that explains why I've missed some of the PGT action.

Now... YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

(... and where's my Geritol?)

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
I appreciate the understanding and support

October 2013 will be 40 years for me as a Kings fan - and I was 21 then. It's been a real struggle on many different levels over the years, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My struggle now is that I've been doing a project in Charlotte, NC for the last 3 months. Watching the games online starting at 10:30 has given me a better understanding why the East never seemed to know much about the Kings - 5:30AM comes around pretty darn fast when the games don't end until after 1AM. Hopefully that explains why I've missed some of the PGT action.

Now... YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

(... and where's my Geritol?)

Geritol? Shouldn't you be looking for the V?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
I Watching the games online starting at 10:30 has given me a better understanding why the East never seemed to know much about the Kings - 5:30AM comes around pretty darn fast when the games don't end until after 1AM. Hopefully that explains why I've missed some of the PGT action
You need a slingbox

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:56 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Geritol? Shouldn't you be looking for the V?
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet!

Old
03-05-2012, 08:00 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
You need a slingbox
I haven't had time to even look into it yet. Do you still watch online? I think the weak link here might be the connection speed here at the hotel (which is painfully slow)

Old
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
I haven't had time to even look into it yet. Do you still watch online? I think the weak link here might be the connection speed here at the hotel (which is painfully slow)
From what I understand, you can watch your DVR from your phone or a computer. You can watch the gane the next day while getting lunch without commercials.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:43 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
This is pretty much what I was saying as well.

The point is that all of us are entitled to or at least allowed to offer our opinions. I contend that we should deal with each other with more respect then happens from time to time only because we are all Kings fans and whether you are bashing the team or extolling their better virtues, we are all supposed to be live and die for the same team types and as such, should be expected to give and receive a certain amount of respect. It doesn't matter if we agree or disagree with each other, we should remember that we are all fans of the same team when debating.

I don't think it matters if you buy seats for the team currently or have in the past in regards to posting here. To me what matters the most is that we remember that we are all Kings fans and as such should afford each other with so much respect rather then attacking the poster when you disagree with the message.
Agreed.

It's perfectly fine to be realistic, but Negative Nancys get old real quick.

It's like all the Negative Nancys deserve to be put in a room by themselves like the smoking section at Disneyland. You're sucking the life out of me, so have your pity party in there together.

With that said, anywhere I have gone in life and saw someone wearing a Kings hat, I have always stopped to shake their hand, and I joke about how them being a Kings fan automatically makes them my friend.

...I just hate when I stop someone wearing a throwback LA hat and when I ask them if they are a fan and their response is, "What...? Who are The Kings!?"

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:56 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
From what I understand, you can watch your DVR from your phone or a computer. You can watch the gane the next day while getting lunch without commercials.
Next day?!?! WE'LL DO IT LIVE!!!

As for the debate about negativity, hats off to those long-time fans who somehow stay positive. I honestly think that it's not so much negativity but just reality: if you've seen the show before then you know how it ends. The negative posters are "right" more often than not because it's the LA Kings we are talking about here. You aren't going out on a limb by predicting doom and gloom for this franchise as 40 years of futility is more than just a trend. When this team finally does win a Cup, it will be the optimists that get to say "I told you so" and all of the naysayers will be more than happy to eat crow.

I've been a fan since '88 but I was only 8 years old and hockey took a backseat to the NBA and NFL. I wasn't a watch-every-game guy until '96-97 so I cut my teeth and the can't miss group of Jamie Storr, Pavel Rosa, Josh Green, Andrei Shefer, Alex Volkov, Matt Zultek etc... I still get excited about prospects but not as much as I used to because it is an excercise in futility.

Basically, if you've been a Kings fan for 20 years then you know **** when you see it. Lombardi may have just pulled his ass out of the fire by acquiring one of the few legitimately talented offensive players in this league who would love to come to LA in Carter. Hell, if Carter was a UFA this Summer, he would probably be the first big-ticket UFA to ever sign here just to be back with his wingman. Luckily for DL, the perfect situation presented itself with the Carter/Columbus fiasco. It was obvious to everyone that it was a good fit but I'll give him credit for making it happen.

I'm excited to have an honest-to-God goal scorer on this team, something it hasn't had since Cammalleri and something it hasn't had on a halfway decent team since Palffy. The guy has had at least 2 breakaways in only 4 games which already puts him amongst the leaders on this team in breakaway attempts. It's just icing on the cake that all of the stats and how the team has played since the trade point to the fact that Jack Johnson was a hinderance moreso than a positive. The sample size is small so far but, in a season where scoring once in a game is not a given, it's hard to ignore 13 goals in four games.

Last edited by Telos: 03-05-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Language.
BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:17 PM
Kingsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Agreed.

It's perfectly fine to be realistic, but Negative Nancys get old real quick.

It's like all the Negative Nancys deserve to be put in a room by themselves like the smoking section at Disneyland. You're sucking the life out of me, so have your pity party in there together.

With that said, anywhere I have gone in life and saw someone wearing a Kings hat, I have always stopped to shake their hand, and I joke about how them being a Kings fan automatically makes them my friend.

...I just hate when I stop someone wearing a throwback LA hat and when I ask them if they are a fan and their response is, "What...? Who are The Kings!?"

I see alot of people who have LA Kings hats at GCC , I've asked them most knew who the Kings were but best answer I got from someone who im pretty sure knew nothen was from a Hispanic guy which was "oh the hockey team right ?" Ya im a fan lol and some admitted to having it cause it's cool and pimp lol funny ppl

Kingsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Me, I will take them all. I don't care if they are casual fans, 93 fans or die hard fans. If they acknowledge the Kings and hockey we can at least start by agreeing on something.

I get allot of crap for it around here but I honestly do value each posters opinion (even the ones who hacked my acct though I am not a fan of that) around here. That is when it is Kings related. OT stuff is just that, stuff. We all do it.

Still I am happy when my opinion is challenged by people who both agree and disagree with me.

We are lucky that L.A. has a team for us to root for. It is a privilege that I don't take lightly.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
I see alot of people who have LA Kings hats at GCC , I've asked them most knew who the Kings were but best answer I got from someone who im pretty sure knew nothen was from a Hispanic guy which was "oh the hockey team right ?" Ya im a fan lol and some admitted to having it cause it's cool and pimp lol funny ppl
This pisses me off more than anything.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
I live in LA and I don't see too many people with Kings stuff on, just tons of Dodgers and Lakers stuff. I did see an old dude in a Wings sweater and hat at the Grove last Thursday and he looked really out of place, lol.

When I visited the NHL store in NYC I saw a dude putting on a Kings hat. I was about to strike up a conversation with him but he quickly put it back and then tried on a hat for another team. It turned out that he was just looking for a cool logo. So lame. I don't get people who wear stuff from teams that they know nothing about.

This brings me to my point that while a lot of people on here don't share the same opinions, at least we all root for the same team. That's got to count for something, especially when they could have jumped ship to the _ucks in 2007.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:47 PM
TwzKing

Send a message via AIM to TwzKing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123slam View Post
This pisses me off more than anything.
Ive challenged every single one of those people. Ask them who there favorite kings player is etc. Actually ran into someone at the bar the other day, he came up to me and said "hey your that kings fan the ripped into because I was repping the hat. I watched a game the other day".

So I guess my mouth gets people to watch games.

TwzKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I work in a sporting goods store in Chino and I see 1 to 2 hats or t-shirts a week for the Kings. Always seems odd to me...never think of them as popular.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docgonzo View Post
I work in a sporting goods store in Chino and I see 1 to 2 hats or t-shirts a week for the Kings. Always seems odd to me...never think of them as popular.
Hey I live in chino. Which store? Big 5? Dicks?

Cook24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:49 PM
CNS
A World Alone

I'm in the bay and see Kings hats. I can GUARANTEE they don't know who the **** the Kings are or couldn't name a single player. Weirdest for me was seeing two Kings jerseys on one day in Calgary last year. Didn't see too many at the games I went to (both of em up there) or at the morning skate before one of the games.

My parents got me a Kings t-shirt that's just black with the new logo on it for my birthday in OCTOBER. Haven't even taken the tags off. Hate that logo. But I might wear it just cause I ****ing love this team even though I find it disgusting.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:54 PM
goosh
TwoForRoughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm in the bay and see Kings hats. I can GUARANTEE they don't know who the **** the Kings are or couldn't name a single player. Weirdest for me was seeing two Kings jerseys on one day in Calgary last year. Didn't see too many at the games I went to (both of em up there) or at the morning skate before one of the games.

My parents got me a Kings t-shirt that's just black with the new logo on it for my birthday in OCTOBER. Haven't even taken the tags off. Hate that logo. But I might wear it just cause I ****ing love this team even though I find it disgusting.
Or 'cause it's a birthday present from your parents.

goosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
ShattStar03

I live in Claremont, I see a lot of people wearing Kings hats but have no idea who the Kings are.

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
123slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
I'm in the bay and see Kings hats. I can GUARANTEE they don't know who the **** the Kings are or couldn't name a single player.
Yeah I'm in the bay too, and have seen this so many times, sported by more "ghetto"-fashioned individuals. One of the hats was actually a glossy, pleather material with shiny accents all over our Chevy logo. Disgusting. I just hope it doesn't get overused to death like the Dodgers cap by people who aren't even true fans and who are much more interested with the word "King" on their hats for their over-inflated egos.

123slam is offline   Reply With Quote