HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Someone wants to fight me

Old
03-05-2012, 03:33 PM
newfr4u

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
To those saying it was a scare tactic and that he is a pseudo tough guy, the guy is a beast. Sorry for the poor grammar too.
so he's a big guy, and he made you (a scorer and a much smaller player) his own personal project.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you or someone on your team simply has to call him out on it. ignoring it doesn't seem to be an option, since you are here asking the question, saying how it bothered you. chirping is a part of the game, even in no-fighting leagues. don't be afraid of him. let him know you are not afraid of him. get your captain or alternates to back you up.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Is body contact/hitting even allowed in your "house league"?
Why wouldn't hitting be allowed in house league?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
r3cc0s

Physicality is just part of the game, gets people heated and irrational...
Unless you're a dirty beaking player, he should be cool the next time you see him

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
Why wouldn't hitting be allowed in house league?
Most house leagues are non-contact. Some do allow contact, though, and it sounds like this house league is one of them.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:05 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
Physicality is just part of the game, gets people heated and irrational...
Unless you're a dirty beaking player, he should be cool the next time you see him
If the kid doesn't want to get hurt he should expect the guy to be looking for him. That way he knows when he's in position to get lined up to be prepared to get out of the way. If he comes into the game thinking everything is cool and the beast is still upset he'll get rocked. Keep your head up, expect contact, play your game and do what you can to help your team win. And just because he's big does not mean he can fight. When you watch MMA or boxing the bigger guy doesn't just automatically win every fight. Learn the term gentle giant, these guys get away with murder and then you come to find out they've never been in a fist fight because they were big. They're just as scared of being punched in the face as you are.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Most house leagues are non-contact. Some do allow contact, though, and it sounds like this house league is one of them.
I guess the house league/travel league dichotomy is significantly different in Canada vs. US.

Edit: Or maybe I don't properly understand what a house league is.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:33 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
My main question was that I am going to get chirped and trash talked because of this for a long while and I do not know how to handle it when it comes to this situation
If you're the best scorer on your team/league, then you're going to get chirped and trash talked either way no matter what.

You won, right? Then that's how you handle it and respond.

When he challenges you to a fight, you skate back to the bench, drink some water, go out on your next shift, and score a goal that puts his team down by 5 goals, then quietly skate back to the bench until your next shift. That's how you respond.

This guy was chirping at you because you beat his team 11-3. Fighting and name-calling are all he has to cling to because hockey skill certainly isn't it.

If you're the best player, people are going to try to knock you off your game, and you'd better get used to that reality right now. Some will do it physically, some will do it verbally. If you mentally take yourself out of the game and/or go trading penalties with some scrub, then you're beating your own self and hurting your own team.

Keep your head up enough not to get seriously injured, defend yourself when/where necessary......but other than that, don't change your game. Don't stop going into the corners, don't stop forechecking hard, don't stop crashing the net. You're winning, and not just in the Charlie Sheen sense.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

Tell him you don't need to fight to stay relevant in the game, you have what's called real hockey skill.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Ducati1098VII

Quote:
A) He is physically stronger
B) I am not risking suspension becaue he **** the bed for his team
Any time someone wants to fight you just say "I fight on the scoreboard go score a goal *****"

Ducati1098VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Hit him Braden, you're a Chief.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Not at 15, at least not here in the States. Bantam and Midget are full check and, as we all know, PeeWee was as well up until this year.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:16 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Not at 15, at least not here in the States. Bantam and Midget are full check and, as we all know, PeeWee was as well up until this year.
I guess it's different in the States and in Canada. In Canada most house leagues are non-contact at all ages. Contact hockey is mostly reserved for travel teams/teams that you have to try out for, house league is the equivalent of beer league for kids high school age and under. No tryouts (anyone who signs up in time can play), all games at one rink, kids divided to try to make teams as even as possible, and generally no contact. This is the case in big cities, at least, I have heard that that in rural areas it's more common to find house leagues that are more competitive, and more often full contact, but in cities most house leagues are low level, relaxed, non-contact hockey regardless of the age. In Ontario I believe contact was recently banned for all house leagues, but most of them were non-contact anyways before the ban.

Last edited by ponder: 03-05-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
dss97

Stand up for yourself. Most people (especially kids) are all talk. I bet he wouldn't even fight you.

Quote:
I guess it's different in the States and in Canada. In Canada most house leagues are non-contact at all ages. Contact hockey is mostly reserved for travel teams/teams that you have to try out for, house league is the equivalent of beer league for kids high school age and under. No tryouts (anyone who signs up in time can play), all games at one rink, kids divided to try to make teams as even as possible, and generally no contact. This is the case in big cities, at least, I have heard that that in rural areas it's more common to find house leagues that are more competitive, and more often full contact, but in cities most house leagues are low level, relaxed, non-contact hockey regardless of the age. In Ontario I believe contact was recently banned for all house leagues, but most of them were non-contact anyways before the ban.

What? Hitting is allowed in all Canadian minor hockey leagues at the start of peewee (12-13) or bantam (14-15) as far as I know unless it is specifically a no contact league, and house league does have tryouts. In Alberta hitting starts at peewee and tryouts start in novice for house league.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
goalie29

No body checking for house leagues here. The only people who play hitting are Bantam and Midget boys, and Juniors.

ANd I found this on a quick google:

Quote:
The OHF Minor Council unanimously endorsed the following motion:

Effective the 2011 2012 season body checking will be removed from all age divisions of House League and House League Select hockey.
That's Ontario. The article goes on to say that the OHF includes 40% of Hockey Canada members.

Way more people of all ages play with no body checking than play with it in Canada.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:20 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Tell him you'd fight him if he wasn't such a non-factor on the score sheet.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Don't punk out! If you fight back and land some punches the guy will realize you are not going to take his **** and he is going to get hit for it. I play in a Christian (Most of us played high level hockey) league so odds are if we fight in our league we are destined for hell!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:29 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss97 View Post
What? Hitting is allowed in all Canadian minor hockey leagues at the start of peewee (12-13) or bantam (14-15) as far as I know unless it is specifically a no contact league, and house league does have tryouts. In Alberta hitting starts at peewee and tryouts start in novice for house league.
This was not AT ALL the case in Toronto, where I grew up. All the house leagues I heard of within the city had no tryouts, and were non-contact, regardless of age, I can't describe it any better than as beer league for kids. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some house leagues in Toronto with tryouts and contact, but most were non-contact with no tryouts. Contact and tryouts were more for A, AA, AAA and high school hockey. Now it's the case that house league is non-contact throughout Ontario. Sounds like it's different in Alberta and the States, but clearly it depends on where you go.

Last edited by ponder: 03-05-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old
03-05-2012, 06:39 PM
radbear
Rookie User

One Word: 'Youngblood".

radbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:11 PM
dss97

Quote:
This was not AT ALL the case in Toronto, where I grew up. All the house leagues I heard of within the city had no tryouts, and were non-contact, regardless of age, I can't describe it any better than as beer league for kids. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some house leagues in Toronto with tryouts and contact, but most were non-contact with no tryouts. Contact and tryouts were more for A, AA, AAA and high school hockey. Now it's the case that house league is non-contact throughout Ontario. Sounds like it's different in Alberta and the States, but clearly it depends on where you go.
That's really surprising, last year was my last year of midget, I played tier 1 which was the highest level of non rep hockey in Edmonton, and the games could get really chippy, even fights occasionally.

Sucks for Ontario kids, probably the same players playing rep every year regardless of talent because they have actually experienced contact.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:35 PM
nolan91

just let it go if he keeps being a pain in the ass a bigger guy on your team should be happy to dust him

nolan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Niagaradad

yeah the new no checking rule came into place in 2012 as mentioned by another poster. They also recently ( two or three years ago ) took hitting out of Atom rep hockey in Saskatchewan and Ontario, the only two provinces who allowed it.

Back to the original post, agree, skate away from it and let it go on the ice. As for your team mates do they know what's gone on? they may only hear the guy chirping you on the ice but not really hear what is being said.

My oldest son just completed Bantam and will play Midget next year. I've told him as a bigger player on the team he needs to look out for his peers. Not put a guy on his ass or anything obvious, but make no bones about it let any other "tough" guy on the other team know nothing will happen while he's on the ice.

My worry for next year is the other guys thinking he's one of the 17 yr olds and challenging him based on that. He's 6-2 and 200+ now.

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:00 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

I have played A level this season and I can guarantee that he was stronger than 90% of the competition I played against in A. And this kid has gotten into fights before, I knew he was not bluffing if he was going to fight me.

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but it might help to pull the ref aside during warmups and let him know about it. Don't make a big production of it, but just mention that the guy has had it out for you the last couple of games and you'd appreciate it if he kept an eye out. Typically the ref will want to keep that stuff under control, so the guy will be on a short leash for penalties.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:22 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Light the team up and laugh in his face whenever he does things like this. Literally laugh at him loudly so that he becomes humiliated.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

spear him in the throat

i kid, just don't bother. he seems like a tool

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote