HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calling up Redden?

Old
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 500
Correct me if I am wrong RangerBoy, but this is how I understand the CBA:

There's no cap in the playoffs, but players who are on one-way contracts in the AHL and subject to re-entry waivers have to have been called up prior to the trade deadline to play in the playoffs...this was the whole Avery situation, he had to be put on waivers before the deadline to be playoff eligible for a team acquiring him

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:35 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....oh and hahahahahahahaha. LOL. I would put brian leetch in the game before redden. (I honestly think leetch can still lace em up.) Speaking of him, Id like him to take del zotto under his wing and maybe do some side work and training and mentoring together.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Have any of you guys asking about a call up actually watched Wade play down in Hartford this year?
Or even looked at his stat line?

32 GP, 12 points, -6

That SUCKS.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:48 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
hahahahahahahahahahahaha.....oh and hahahahahahahaha. LOL. I would put brian leetch in the game before redden. (I honestly think leetch can still lace em up.) Speaking of him, Id like him to take del zotto under his wing and maybe do some side work and training and mentoring together.
You obviously didn't watch the Winter Classic. Only guys who looked like they could even play in the AHL were Lindros and Mike Gartner.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
As a Whale fan I'd like to chime in. Wade Redden can't play to NHL speed anymore. He almost looks slow by AHL standards. Silly idea. You would either throw Erixon into the fire or call Bell up.

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:39 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
As a Whale fan I'd like to chime in. Wade Redden can't play to NHL speed anymore. He almost looks slow by AHL standards. Silly idea. You would either throw Erixon into the fire or call Bell up.
Or Valentenko. Or Parlett who's skating in Greenville. No interest in ever seeing Redden in a Rangers uniform again.

Here's another--Brian Boyle has played defense at both the college and AHL level. He'd come before Redden too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:16 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Redden, Avery and MZA are exactly what this team needs to go deep in the playoffs.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Redden suffers a long-term injury and the Rangers can't compliance buyout Redden. No thanks.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

I don't think the OP was advocating calling up Redden. I think he was simply asking a hypothetical question. I love how people just comment on the title of thread instead of the actual question......

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:35 AM
Vitto79

would be humorous but nahhh, let him get paid 6.5 to Captain the Whale.....kudos to him for accepting the role and being a leader. Avery should take some lessons

So on D Ranger depth is
McD, Girardi, Staal, Stralman, DZ as the top 5 for sure

after that I pray Sauer comes back but likely not so its a choice of Bickel, Eminger as the 6/7

after that Woywitka is still up and is 8th.............If anyone important goes down the first call up is Erixon

Bell also has NHL experience and is doing well in CT so he is 9th.....then maybe Redden but it would have to get ugly.........and no Valentenko will not get another shot and will be either in the KHL or another organization next yr........also Vernance has some NHL experience.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:46 AM
Chimp

Even if the question is hypothetical, it is still hilarious. Why not hypothetically ask if we could play the janitor on D instead?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:47 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
I don't think the OP was advocating calling up Redden. I think he was simply asking a hypothetical question. I love how people just comment on the title of thread instead of the actual question......
OP asked whether it would work in terms of the cap, then followed with this:

"I'd much rather have him be called up than Valentenko or even Erixon in the playoffs...due to experience."

That's beyond a hypothetical question. Redden is no longer an NHL-capable player.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:58 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

these "call up" threads are getting a bit ridiculous.. haha jeez

Redden? Really?

Should we lure Drury and Val Kamensky out of retirement, also?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Krams
what a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
Redden, Avery and MZA are exactly what this team needs to go deep in the playoffs.

Another Ron Paul supporter here on teh HF boards. And both are Rainjars fans! Wasn't expecting there to be much political activism here but you and 'we want cup' are encouraging me to change my avatar.

And if calling up Redden is simply hypothetical then why bring it up at all... why not just have a thread dedicated to the CBA rules...

Krams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:17 PM
bubba5

The only news we might hear with Redden is if there is an amnesty buyout period with the next CBA when it is negotiated this summer/fall.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The answer is very simple: any player subject to re-entry waivers CANNOT be recalled until the season is over. Redden will return to the NHL roster at that point, no sooner.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:52 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Or we could give John Amirante a pair of skates. I'm sure he would travel up and down the ice with just as much speed.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Sean Aviary
Chirp! Chirp!

Redden has looked pretty bad in Hartford this year, he can't even outplay AHLers on the power play.

It's great to have the utility of Bickel and Scott being able to play F+D, since the team only has twelve forwards on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Here's another--Brian Boyle has played defense at both the college and AHL level. He'd come before Redden too.
Rangers couldn't afford to have Boyle stop taking faceoffs in the playoffs, I think they'd roll two pairs before moving him back.

Sean Aviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Even if he was still a capable NHL defenseman, which I am not sure he is, it is absolutely not worth the risk of someone plucking him off re-entry waivers and screwing us with a $3.25m cap hit for the rest of his contract.
yup,,,,i agree

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Was going to say this. Wade has found the least amount of effort he needs to put in at the AHL level and has stayed there since. His game has probably taken such a beating because of it. He'd be dominated at the NHL level and would take a VERY long time for him to get back to true form.

Pass.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Was going to say this. Wade has found the least amount of effort he needs to put in at the AHL level and has stayed there since. His game has probably taken such a beating because of it. He'd be dominated at the NHL level and would take a VERY long time for him to get back to true form.

Pass.
More like it's IMPOSSIBLE for him to get back to true form.

He's getting older.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote