HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What are my chances?

Old
12-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

vCash: 500
Life is nothing without dreams man.

"The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it."

I have dreams of becoming an NHL coach someday and am not afraid to talk about it on a daily basis. I get some laughs and ask why? Who cares if I don't make it, the odds are against me, but that isn't going to stop me from giving it my all and thinking about it every single day.

You are really gonna have to commit yourself but anything is possible. Good luck dude.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Gino 14

Markus Kristiansen is the name of Norway's goalie and they got wailed by Russia 13-1 in January according to the website I found. Maybe their elite aren't so elite?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
O2

So I actually forgot about this post, and at the time I most certainly not wasn't "trolling".. Optimistic and naive, perhaps.

Ended up busting up an old knee injury and there's been no sports for me this fall/winter.

I still, however, continue to hope next fall I'll be able to succesfully try out for the university team. Mind you, it's no "real" dream of mine so I intend to take this with a happy-go-lucky approach.

Let's see where this goes!

O2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:08 PM
O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC00 View Post
Well you play Bandy so you can skate. It's a very different style from Bandy to hockey. Considering the difference in the net sze
This is the thing that intrigues me the most.

I think there are several factors that would only be beneficial to me having previous experience playing Bandy.

Smaller pads on the legs, my chest pad was basicly a scimpy life-vest, and my gloves were actually something that resembles real gloves. Tiny things, with a 1 cm padding layer.

The ball is pretty small, about the size of a tennis ball. It's heavy-ish plastic, though a bit lighter then a puck. It can be absolutely POUNDED and let me tell you, hurts like a SOB missing the catch because it curves and takes a bounce off the ice.

The net is so huge compared to hockey nets. With the reflexes and agility required to guard such a net from a tiny ball, and me being a big guy (6'3 and 205lbs) I don't see how it could be that hard.

All the goalies would joke and laugh at the hockey goalies, with the tiny nets and absolutely HUGE pads, a gigantic catching glove, and you even get a stick.

I was jelly as hell over your helmets, I'll give you that.

Old
03-05-2012, 06:51 PM
cowboy82nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2 View Post

I think there are several factors that would only be beneficial to me having previous experience playing Bandy.

Smaller pads on the legs, my chest pad was basicly a scimpy life-vest, and my gloves were actually something that resembles real gloves. Tiny things, with a 1 cm padding layer.

The ball is pretty small, about the size of a tennis ball. It's heavy-ish plastic, though a bit lighter then a puck. It can be absolutely POUNDED and let me tell you, hurts like a SOB missing the catch because it curves and takes a bounce off the ice.

The net is so huge compared to hockey nets. With the reflexes and agility required to guard such a net from a tiny ball, and me being a big guy (6'3 and 205lbs) I don't see how it could be that hard.

All the goalies would joke and laugh at the hockey goalies, with the tiny nets and absolutely HUGE pads, a gigantic catching glove, and you even get a stick.

Can you explain this to me?

cowboy82nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:43 PM
neksys

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:51 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2 View Post

And if this isn't a troll thread, you need to appreciate that the puck travels at twice the velocity of a bandy ball. Remember that bandy sticks are tiny, the ball is lighter, and has significantly more surface area. Your hand would shatter if you caught a puck with a 1cm bandy goalkeeper's glove.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:24 PM
O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
And if this isn't a troll thread, you need to appreciate that the puck travels at twice the velocity of a bandy ball. Remember that bandy sticks are tiny, the ball is lighter, and has significantly more surface area. Your hand would shatter if you caught a puck with a 1cm bandy goalkeeper's glove.
Not sure about twice the velocity you're claiming, but I won't discredit the fact that a puck probably would be alot more powerful. As a goalie in hockey, you do however wear way more protective gear and have more tools at your disposal.

I certainly won't argue the fact that ones hand might be shattered if you tried catching a puck with a glove, but what does that really have to do with anything? At all?

All I was trying to say, it appears easier to catch a puck with rather large catching glove.. compared to say the saves I've had to make where I've had to pick a ball out of the air with only my hands.

Not trying to discredit the position of goalie here folks, there's a reason why I watch hockey and not bandy