HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators @ Panthers "Gnash, The Only True Cat"

Old
03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Predator119

vCash: 500
Tootoo is hustling. That's not the problem. For some reason he can't get the puck out of the D zone. He has been terrible in the D zone, 50/50 in the neutral zone, and decent in the O zone. I think his issues boil down to his puck handling. Its fine for him to try his fancy stuff in the offensive zone, but in the d zone he keeps getting in trouble instead of making the smart simple play to get the play moving.

Predator119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Insanepredator

Send a message via Skype™ to Insanepredator
Really late to the party but how did we look Saturday?

Insanepredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:54 PM
klt2001

Seems to me Tootoo was just having a bad night, which every player has an "off night". So long as he doesn't continuously have bad nights or cost the team games, I'm okay w/ him playing. When he's on he can really add and spark energy to the team and give his linemates scoring chances even if he himself might not score. He is always hustling after the puck and/or stealing the puck from the opposing team which I like and is also physical. He does need to be more careful w/ how he handles the puck though either w/ the cute passes he does that get picked off or getting pucks taken away from him (i.e. turnovers). That would be something I think he could work on.

But what player on the team doesn't have things they can work on? So long as he corrects his mistakes and/or doesn't make a habit of it; plays better the next game, I'll let this bad performance from him slide.

Last edited by klt2001: 03-05-2012 at 12:50 AM.
klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I am tired of seeing his cute little passes. I like what he brings on the forecheck. He almost kills any cycle with a stupid pass though. I want to see him play a more simple game.
Many of those "cute" passes have led to goals. Whatever he's doing, it's working. Everyone can be guilty of making one too many or trying something too cute on occasion.

Last edited by Everlong: 03-05-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:49 PM
WartracePred

If Tootoo scores a goal, most think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. When he goes a few games without a goal or assist, he's terrible and should be benched. Same with Legwand, Erat. Kostitsyn, et al...

On the other hand, when Ellis scores a goal, it doesn't matter how many defensive gaffes he makes, he should replace Suter. On this message board, if you score a goal, you are just plain awesome. I keep waiting for a thread bashing Pekka because he has yet to score a goal this season. Pekka sucks and should be traded. Give the kid a chance. I bet Lindy could score. Rinne can't hit the broad side of a barn.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator119 View Post
Tootoo is hustling. That's not the problem. For some reason he can't get the puck out of the D zone. He has been terrible in the D zone, 50/50 in the neutral zone, and decent in the O zone. I think his issues boil down to his puck handling. Its fine for him to try his fancy stuff in the offensive zone, but in the d zone he keeps getting in trouble instead of making the smart simple play to get the play moving.
+1. Love Toots, but he can't clear the zone to save his life most times, especially if he's on the boards.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:52 AM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
If Tootoo scores a goal, most think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. When he goes a few games without a goal or assist, he's terrible and should be benched. Same with Legwand, Erat. Kostitsyn, et al...

On the other hand, when Ellis scores a goal, it doesn't matter how many defensive gaffes he makes, he should replace Suter. On this message board, if you score a goal, you are just plain awesome. I keep waiting for a thread bashing Pekka because he has yet to score a goal this season. Pekka sucks and should be traded. Give the kid a chance. I bet Lindy could score. Rinne can't hit the broad side of a barn.
I don't think it was the fact he wasn't scoring, but rather that he was making mistakes or defensive gaffes as you call it. However, I agree with you on the issue, there's no reason to throw Tootoo under the bus after just a couple mediocre contests. He'll turn it around.

Remember when everyone wanted Smith sent back down...then he scored in Carolina and everyone stopped worrying about it, they all find their groove sooner or later and get it going again.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:52 AM
klt2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneGuy View Post
+1. Love Toots, but he can't clear the zone to save his life most times, especially if he's on the boards.
So long as he clears it better than Smithson did, I'm happy

klt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:24 AM
predfan98

I was at both out of town games.

It's not tootoo's hustle, I don't think anyone is saying that.

His timing or "something else hard to define" is just off right now. He was visibly off his game in Fla and is lucky he didn't tip over the edge with a real stupid hit. His frustration or whatever was written all over his face.

We just turned to each other and wondered what was going on with Toots...

Other things from the Fla game. (since the carolina game was horrid)
Gill....awesome....heart of a competitor....he really takes it personally on the PK.
Goose....all of the above.... and was talking to Smith and "teaching" him about faceoffs.
both seem very willing to interact with the team and rookies.
way to go DP
and AK..... sniper, more physical than I was expecting from reviews of him.
It was funny watching SK after his brother scored..... he was really pushing to score himself.
Suter....so funny after a minor check from Goc in the first....suter turned and smacked Goc with his stick in his back. (really should have been a penalty on him)... and acted like "how dare he check me".... wake up big boy, it's hockey...
players are pressing Suter and Weber more...I think everybody has learned they'll cough it up sometimes under pressure.
Wish Weber would play to his physical potential.....watching Goose made me realize how Weber really doesn't use his body like he has done in the past.

seemingly all the new guys looked like they were "all in"

Sunrise had a ton of stuff for their kids going on outside the arena. Lots of people in shorts and tshirts cause of the weather. Big wide concourses, nice people.

With the exception of the divorced "jersey girls" who had a birthday party of 10 year old boys in front of us and left them to go drink. the fla panthers ticket holder next to us was rightly very upset. those 10 year olds stood on their seats during the game, wouldn't sit down...and the mothers would come back with snacks and stand right in front of us and talk...and then the "camera birthday person" that worked for the panthers came back in the middle of the 2nd and wanted all the kids to stand up and cheer so he could take a pic....right in the middle of play....for 5 minutes...I did finally say something there to the camera guy.
and whoever lets their 10 year old son dance like a ghetto rap star and grind and bump and clutch his crotch continually....wow...

anyway, good going DP....he had to be smiling if he was there. Big experienced players added to the team.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:53 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post

true story

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:27 AM
pekkaslap

Well, Pekka does hold the record now for points in a season by a Predators goalie...What can't this guy do? lol.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekkaslap View Post
Well, Pekka does hold the record now for points in a season by a Predators goalie...What can't this guy do? lol.
I hear he has a hard time fitting through small doorways, and that one time, a kid crawled up a beanstalk and broke into his house.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartracepred View Post
on the other hand, when ellis scores a goal, it doesn't matter how many defensive gaffes he makes, he should replace suter.
exactly.

Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
wadesworld

Quote:
It was funny watching SK after his brother scored..... he was really pushing to score himself.
I noticed that too. A couple times he got on the puck I thought it was Craig Smith for a second, the way he was hustling.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:44 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
While that may be the case, who isn't making those cute little passes these days? At the end of the day, how many goals has he been a part of in the last few weeks? He goes to the corners, wins a ton of battles, gets the puck to Wilson who in turn either puts it in the net or gets it to a guy who puts it in the net.
I am not arguing he isn't playing a tough game. He does. I think he plays smarter and it leads to turnovers from guys who think they are about to get killed with a check. I think my point is, with the team the way it is set up right now, it will be a what have you done for me lately kinda thing, where even practices are intense because you have guys like Halischuck who has been a huge part of our success, that are now having to battle in practice to just crack the 4th line. Trotz this morning even said, he can see a bad game, but when you string 2, 3, 4 in a row, you are gonna watch the next one. Right now on the bad game o meter, tootoo would be next to sit. And spaling is close to that too right now. Both are very good role players, but if not doing the dirty work, or turning the puck over and chasing every shift, they can sit.

I think you have Yip Bourque, Halischuck, Tootoo, Smith, and Spaling battling for 4 spots day in day out. Right now, Yip and Halischuck are the odd men out. In my view, bourque is the safest of all of them. So you have Smith, Spaling, and Tootoo (in that order) on the cut line. And that pains me because I am a splaing fan.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
I noticed that too. A couple times he got on the puck I thought it was Craig Smith for a second, the way he was hustling.
now that would be a great unexpected consequence of acquiring AK... suddenly SK wants to shoot more?? sweet!

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
now that would be a great unexpected consequence of acquiring AK... suddenly SK wants to shoot more?? sweet!
I told you, right?!

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Or he starts pressing to keep pace with his elder brother and tries to do too much. Having AK on the same team could push Sergei either way.

I saw the same change in intensity from SK after AK scored and also thought he was Smith. We were sitting in the cheap seats so it was hard to tell right away.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:10 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
With the exception of the divorced "jersey girls" who had a birthday party of 10 year old boys in front of us and left them to go drink. the fla panthers ticket holder next to us was rightly very upset. those 10 year olds stood on their seats during the game, wouldn't sit down...and the mothers would come back with snacks and stand right in front of us and talk...and then the "camera birthday person" that worked for the panthers came back in the middle of the 2nd and wanted all the kids to stand up and cheer so he could take a pic....right in the middle of play....for 5 minutes...I did finally say something there to the camera guy.
and whoever lets their 10 year old son dance like a ghetto rap star and grind and bump and clutch his crotch continually....wow...
When I was in grad school in S FLA, I worked as a substitute teacher. Had a 5th grade latino girl in my class with white hot pants with no under drawers. Very disturbing for a Tennessee fella. They sexualize their kids A LOT earlier down there.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Not unheard of between the brothers. Game 1 of the 07/08 playoffs against Boston, Sergei had the first shift of the game, picked up a rebound in front and scored. I recall that once he got to the bench, he told Andrei that seeing as he'd scored, AK now had to score. AK was on the ice the very next shift and, well...

There does seem to be a bit of a friendly rivalry there, I think they'd both like to out score the other. Didn't seem a problem during the 07-08 season, things were going well and they seemed to push each other in a positive way. Hopefully it doesn't become an issue for Nashville. Both are experienced guys, they know what it takes, how to do their jobs and Sergei seems to feel very settled in Nashville. Can't honestly see it becoming an issue now.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

well this is my first time back on these boards since leaving for florida on thursday. Had a blast at the preds/panthers game. I just scanned through the broadcast and confirmed what all of my text messages said that me and my brother and cousin were all zoomed in on the fs tennessee broadcast.

and the bank atlantic center is beautiful but the fans around us really weren't all that into the game. I'll take the Bridge anytime!

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Jonesey
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
well this is my first time back on these boards since leaving for florida on thursday. Had a blast at the preds/panthers game. I just scanned through the broadcast and confirmed what all of my text messages said that me and my brother and cousin were all zoomed in on the fs tennessee broadcast.

and the bank atlantic center is beautiful but the fans around us really weren't all that into the game. I'll take the Bridge anytime!
Any photos you'd care to share with the class?

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:34 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Hopefully this will add a few pics. I'm in the middle. The left photo is on dvr from the fs tennessee feed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6811735980_67b564955a_m.jpg‎ (27.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 6957845637_fc8e26a692_m.jpg‎ (21.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6957845589_dbe980ccaa_m.jpg‎ (24.2 KB, 18 views)

Old
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

3 more. The whole area was beautiful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6957845567_5a4b9c737e_m.jpg‎ (19.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 6811735910_240a2cece4_m.jpg‎ (29.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 6811735870_8e4fe0f790_m.jpg‎ (13.3 KB, 11 views)