HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a Goalie

Old
03-05-2012, 06:57 PM
mitch27

vCash: 500
Becoming a Goalie

So I have kind of an odd question.

I've played hockey my entire life at the AA level until I recently became too old. I'm 20 and I just play in a local rec league. I've wanted to play goalie since I started but my parents wouldn't let me . So now that I'm older I want to give it a try. My question is how hard is it to pick up? I mean I've played road hockey goalie (believe me, I know it's no where near the same) so I understand basic fundamentals. I'm just afraid of buying all of the equipment and signing up for a league just to get shelled every game to the point where I feel bad for everyone else trying to play a fun, but competitive, game of hockey.

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
goalie29

I started playing goalie at 39. I played ringette my whole life, so I could skate just fine. I started playing hockey, and got one year of skater in when my team began having goalie troubles. So I volunteered.

Like you, I'd played a lot of goalie in road and floor hockey and the like. It's different on the ice (with all the sliding around), but it's still goalie. You'd have a leg up on other beginner adult goalies because you can skate well (based on your having played AA). I know that's made a huge difference for me.

Get as much ice time as you can, and spend time at the GSBB. I've learned masses from those guys. There are a lot of people like you who are having a go at playing goal as an adult on that board, so you'll find lots of company.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:30 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
I started playing goalie at 39. I played ringette my whole life, so I could skate just fine. I started playing hockey, and got one year of skater in when my team began having goalie troubles. So I volunteered.

Like you, I'd played a lot of goalie in road and floor hockey and the like. It's different on the ice (with all the sliding around), but it's still goalie. You'd have a leg up on other beginner adult goalies because you can skate well (based on your having played AA). I know that's made a huge difference for me.

Get as much ice time as you can, and spend time at the GSBB. I've learned masses from those guys. There are a lot of people like you who are having a go at playing goal as an adult on that board, so you'll find lots of company.
This is an awesome reply, thanks a lot! I'll definitely check GSBB out, I've never heard of it before.

Old
03-05-2012, 07:31 PM
neksys

Check to see if your local rink has an adult beginner's hockey class.

I know that when I went through a couple of sessions locally, the class would often have a guy just like you in net. He played hockey at a pretty high level before, but never goal. The class worked well for everyone - he got to face a ton of shots, and the class had the benefit of shooting on a live goalie.

Of course, the talent level isn't there, but its a pretty quick and easy way to start to get the fundamentals down. Not to mention if you get lit up by a bunch of newbies, maybe goal isn't the right position for you

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:36 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
Check to see if your local rink has an adult beginner's hockey class.

I know that when I went through a couple of sessions locally, the class would often have a guy just like you in net. He played hockey at a pretty high level before, but never goal. The class worked well for everyone - he got to face a ton of shots, and the class had the benefit of shooting on a live goalie.

Of course, the talent level isn't there, but its a pretty quick and easy way to start to get the fundamentals down. Not to mention if you get lit up by a bunch of newbies, maybe goal isn't the right position for you
This is a really good idea. I'll have to check it out.

Old
03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Acew61

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post

Honestly, I find newbies much more dangerous than experienced players on an average shot. They have no idea where they're firing it, and you have no idea where they're firing it. An experienced player is going to be much more dangerous on the move, etc, but the average shot I'd rather deal with high level players than a noob. A good player is predictable. If we're talking total noobs then it's obviously no issue; but once they learn to shoot with some power but still lack the accuracy, watch out.

IMHO

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
Honestly, I find newbies much more dangerous than experienced players on an average shot. They have no idea where they're firing it, and you have no idea where they're firing it. An experienced player is going to be much more dangerous on the move, etc, but the average shot I'd rather deal with high level players than a noob. A good player is predictable. If we're talking total noobs then it's obviously no issue; but once they learn to shoot with some power but still lack the accuracy, watch out.

IMHO
Even worse is the noobs who can shoot, but can't skate so instead of creating their own opportunities, they shoot right into you, or get as close as possible.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:37 PM
BHDefensiveForward

I've been steam rolled by new skaters almost on a regular bases starting as a goalie... Was not fun because it wasn't just about stopping the puck, but watching that you don't kneed in the head by an on coming forward.

Place an ad in your area that you're a goalie looking for pickup rec games. The only way you can improve as a goalie is to get in the net! Sadly a lot of people shell out their goalies if they bomb, so stick to lower level, and just for fun leagues/games.

I too recommend Goalie Store Bulletin Board!

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:12 PM
HHHH

Hello,

I made the switch as well about 8 years ago...I played forward in Prep school and played college club as well, but then I had some friends who needed a goalie so I took the plunge and haven't looked back since. Best piece of advice I can give for staring out (aside from GSBB) is to get a pair of goalie skates and spend some time getting used to them as the blade and boot are significantly different from a regular skate, and getting used to them right away will also make it much easier to make the transition. Also, get a decent mask right away...don't risk your head.

Don't worry about getting shelled...it will happen, but less and less the more you play and so often people are just psyched to have a goalie at drop in or stick time.

HHHH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Hounsy

regular pick up groups are always looking for goalies and you have an in already playing with people. Get some gear and tell everyone you play with your looking for ice time.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
mitch27

You guys are awesome, thanks for the help!

Old
03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
pelts35.com

I'll be 40 in June and I just started playing 18 months ago. I never skated before so I had to learn how to skate properly and play goal at the same time.

Before stepping on the ice with gear on in a pickup game, I'd highly recommend finding a goalie coach and taking a lesson or 2.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
mitch27

Haha my wish came true. A buddy of mine has some ice tonight so I'm gonna see if one of the goalies wants to swap. Hopefully our equipment fits each other!

Old
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
Haha my wish came true. A buddy of mine has some ice tonight so I'm gonna see if one of the goalies wants to swap. Hopefully our equipment fits each other!
Wearing other goalie's gear from head to toe is a major YUCK IMO. That said don't be surprised if the other goalie gives you a weird look when you ask and may say no. Personally I wouldn't let anyone wear my gear.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 03-06-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 12:41 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Wearing other goalie's gear from head to toe is a major YUCK IMO. That said don't be surprised if the other goalie gives you a weird look when you ask and may say no. Personally I wouldn't let anyone wear my gear.
Haha my team used to do it in practice all the time, although I can see where youre coming from. The goalie is a buddy of mine so if it fits I'm sure he'll be fine with it.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
goalie29

Good luck and have fun!

I've switched out gear to give a teammate a chance to try goal. Yes, some goalies wouldn't dream of that, but I figure it's just gear, not underwear.

Heck, I got hurt one year and my beginner house league team took turns filling in for me for half the season.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
Good luck and have fun!

I've switched out gear to give a teammate a chance to try goal. Yes, some goalies wouldn't dream of that, but I figure it's just gear, not underwear.

Heck, I got hurt one year and my beginner house league team took turns filling in for me for half the season.
Thanks!

Old
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
newfr4u

good luck obviously, but i think a trip to the shrink is required when someone says they want to try out playing goalie.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
good luck obviously, but i think a trip to the shrink is required when someone says they want to try out playing goalie.
something about everyone counting on you is very fascinating to me. Like I said, I've wanted to play goal all my life. Now I've decided it's time to try. Who knows, maybe I missed my calling when I was younger haha

Old
03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I would go try and play floor/ball hockey. Most rec. centres have this going on and usually they let anybody be a goalie.

This should help you just to get a feel for the position. One really beneficial thing about playing goal in ball hockey is that because of the smaller space, there more traffic, more scrambles and more scoring chances. Ball hockey won't dramatically improve your style/technique, however, it will improve your reaction time and teach you to cope with screens, tips, and all the tough situations that a goalie will face during the course of a game.

If you play a few months as goalie in ball hockey and still like it and you are somewhat successful, i think you will be able to take the next step and play goal on the ice.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
radbear
Rookie User

In Manitoba we also have Spongee leagues. Games on ice with a puck but broomball shoes- no skates.

I got injured and was told by my surgeon I would never play hockey goal again[8 wrist fractures, various other injuries..].
I ended up "volunteering" in goal for my Brother's Spongee team because I couldn't sit at home and found it very similar , in fact , alot of semi-pro and retired NHL'ers play in our leagues[Trevor Kidd for one..]
[**I still sneak in the odd hard puck game..but not in any dangerous circumstance. If the opposing team is full of idiots...I have to bow out.]

It's a good way to get net experience.
You can skate without equipment wherever you can find ice to get your skating in...and play spongee with equipment to learn your angles, butterfly , etc. ...then combine both.
When "rehab-bing", I build an ice sheet in my yard and practice drills on my own.
Check out goalie drills on Youtube, and check out "Westridge Spongee" on there as well to see what I'm talking about.
Hope it helps.

radbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by devils4cup View Post
I would go try and play floor/ball hockey. Most rec. centres have this going on and usually they let anybody be a goalie.

This should help you just to get a feel for the position. One really beneficial thing about playing goal in ball hockey is that because of the smaller space, there more traffic, more scrambles and more scoring chances. Ball hockey won't dramatically improve your style/technique, however, it will improve your reaction time and teach you to cope with screens, tips, and all the tough situations that a goalie will face during the course of a game.

If you play a few months as goalie in ball hockey and still like it and you are somewhat successful, i think you will be able to take the next step and play goal on the ice.
Personally I do not think this is good advice. You could get used to making saves in ballhockey a certain way and then try to make them on the ice only to fall flat on your a**. Not to mention that the player movements in ball hockey is nothing like ice hockey and is much slower, which would have a negative impact on reaction time, etc.

If you want to play ice hockey go out and play ice hockey.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Personally I do not think this is good advice. You could get used to making saves in ballhockey a certain way and then try to make them on the ice only to fall flat on your a**. Not to mention that the player movements in ball hockey is nothing like ice hockey and is much slower, which would have a negative impact on reaction time, etc.

If you want to play ice hockey go out and play ice hockey.
Agreed. Ball hockey might help your reflexes but it'll probably hurt your technique. Go with ice, and if you need practice facing a bunch of shots, go to your local arena's stick n puck sessions. Most guys there will be happy for a chance to shoot on a goalie.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:20 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Agreed. Ball hockey might help your reflexes but it'll probably hurt your technique. Go with ice, and if you need practice facing a bunch of shots, go to your local arena's stick n puck sessions. Most guys there will be happy for a chance to shoot on a goalie.
Best thing I did was to take a couple of lessons before showing up at stick and puck sessions.

Old
03-15-2012, 02:39 PM
mitch27

So I finally got to play goal in a pick up game last night. I've never had so much fun playing hockey! Now I need to find a way to be able to afford all the equipment haha