HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Home/Visitor Bench Location

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2006, 02:47 PM
dbbourn

vCash: 500
Home/Visitor Bench Location

This is going to sound lame, but my girlfriend happened to notice something interesting about the bench location of the home and away teams. She noticed that when you are facing the benches the the home team is on the left and the away team is on the right in almost every stadium except the Staples Center. I didin't believe her until the other night after flipping through a bunch of games that had the home team's bench on the left. Am I dreaming this up, or is Staples just like every other stadium. And if I'm not dreaming it up wouldn't the line changes happen on the opposite side for each period under these different setups?

Dallas may be the same way as Staples. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Old
02-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Goallum

I noticed that the Pud... I mean the Pond has the visitor's and home benches reversed from where they are at Staples (resulting in the Kings having the warm ups at the same end of the rink at the Pond as at Staples).

I don't think this affects line changes, since you start out the first period with your defensive zone being one closest to your bench, regardless of whether it's to the right or to the left.

Old
02-03-2006, 04:50 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFan24
I don't think this affects line changes, since you start out the first period with your defensive zone being one closest to your bench, regardless of whether it's to the right or to the left.
Sure... it doesn't affect the distance the team has to travel to get to the bench, but it does change the side that the changes are on. That's got to be an advantage/disadvantage to certain teams. Maybe it is an advantage to the teams that have their slower players on the side closest to the bench.

At least you noticed there was a difference. I thought I may have been losing it

Old
02-03-2006, 06:16 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

It took me a while to realize that the home/away configuration wasn't standardized between arenas, too. It finally hit home when I was at a Phoenix Mustangs WCHL game back in 1999 or earlier, watching my San Diego Gulls play on the road... and about halfway through the game I realized that even though they were on the road, their bench was still to my right as I faced them from behind the score table. (Their bench at the iPayOne Center in San Diego is also on the right when seen from the score table) I then noticed the same thing in Fresno's Selland arena (away team on the right) and Long Beach's Long Beach arena (away team on the right). However, in Bakersfield, the home team is on the right.

If it makes a difference, I would think it's a left-right difference for the players on the ice. With a "home team right" configuration, home skaters skating away from their net will make their changes to the right for two periods. However, with the "home team left" configuration, home skaters skating away from the net make changes to their left for two periods...

Whether that makes any difference at all, I'm not sure.

Closed Thread