HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Talbot, Briere, and Giroux

Old
03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
take more risks when your goalie is on top of his game? ok

stick to doing your job defensively when your goalie is on top of his game? ok

threatening to NOT PLAY HARD for ANY reason is 100% UNACCEPTABLE. PERIOD.

especially for a guy who has vanished as often as Danny has ......
Are we talking about the guy who has the most points in the playoffs since the lockout?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Danny will show up in the playoffs book it....seems like he has another level he goes to

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Danny will show up in the playoffs book it....seems like he has another level he goes to
And if he doesn't?

Briere is under contract for 3 more years after this one.

In two more years, all three of Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier need new deals.

At this rate, it's possible that we have to chose between Briere and one of our young centers.

With his production slipping, his age creeping on him, and the only thing saving his status in Philadelphia being the potential that he has a monster postseason, I think it's time to start coming to grips with the idea that we might have to move Briere.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I like how something comes up which makes Bryz look bad, so the blame is somehow being pushed back at Briere? Ridiculous.

03-05-2012, 09:23 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I like how something comes up which makes Bryz look bad, so the blame is somehow being pushed back at Briere? Ridiculous.
We should start a thread devoted to who we're throwing under the bus this week. I can't keep up anymore.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:46 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
lol ...... nope. i don't buy the way you 'read' it.
i don't EVER want to hear ANY player say that.

i'm all for management sitting down any player & telling them to pick up their game. [goalies included, and I said as much a few weeks back], but at NO TIME is it acceptable for ANY player to start ANY sentence with "If he wants the guys to keep playing hard for him"

next, they'll say that about coaches, then GMs, then owners ...... NO !!!!

they should ALWAYS play hard ..... that is HIS JOB.

period.

no wonder they come out flat every other game ..... FRICK !!
Briere hasn't said anything close to that. He saud that Bryz, too, has to play hard in order to win. He didn't say that he played bad when Bryz played bad, this is just bad faith interpretation.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:48 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
And if he doesn't?

At this rate, it's possible that we have to chose between Briere and one of our young centers.

With his production slipping, his age creeping on him, and the only thing saving his status in Philadelphia being the potential that he has a monster postseason, I think it's time to start coming to grips with the idea that we might have to move Briere.
He will. Seriously, it's Briere, he's a league top 5 in the playoffs. He would need to find chemistry with someone though. That's the main problem imo.

Old
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
He will. Seriously, it's Briere, he's a league top 5 in the playoffs. He would need to find chemistry with someone though. That's the main problem imo.
Interesting that both Briere and Ville Leino are having off seasons due to not being able to find chemistry with anyone on their teams, when they had great chemistry together.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:56 PM
YuioIklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Interesting that both Briere and Ville Leino are having off seasons due to not being able to find chemistry with anyone on their teams, when they had great chemistry together.
Briere played with like 8 different teammates this season. Needs stability. Hartnell-Briere-Jagr would look great imo. Giroux should play with JVR (if healthy) and Simmonds.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:20 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
31 years old and he just learned how to be a good teammate in a game where teamwork means everything?
Eh, goalies are weird.

Quote:
Briere's making 7M next season, so he isn't going anywhere anytime soon. At least with his current production he isn't.
Still, until proven otherwise I'll count on him showing up in the POs.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Zetterberg is better. He has 1 more point post-lockout in 3 less games, and to say his defensive game blows Briere's out of the water would be an understatement.
I almost stopped reading to type this. Malkin has also been....decent.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:59 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Zetterberg is better. He has 1 more point post-lockout in 3 less games, and to say his defensive game blows Briere's out of the water would be an understatement.
It's easy to be stoked about how Briere finally shows up offensively in the playoffs but the guy remains a wreck defensively. The wow factor (points) is measurable but he's on the ice for a lot of goals against. We'll see how he does this season because he's been a disappointment so far, and this goes back to the Boston series.

I'm also not keen on him talking to the press about what happened with Bryz behind closed doors. Things like that should stay inside the room unless Bryz comes out and says it himself. If Bryz goes wacky again, Briere's comments are going to be fodder for the media.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:13 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Have you ever played hockey, man? How about a game where you goalie lets in weak goal after weak goal? When you're battling all game and your goalie lets in a softie to put the other team ahead? These are situations where the goalie's play can take the gas right out of your skates. What he's saying is legitimate.
Exactly. You are busting your *** trying to get a goal, dominating, the other team takes one shot and it goes in. You battle back and tie it up. The other team gets a second "soft goal". Tied at 2. This, is an example, but it drains you. I have played in front of the best goalie in the league, and it gives you this energy. It gives you confidence to play the game and not worry about your goalie. I've also played in front of garbage goalies. And honestly, I was horrible on those teams and so were other players who I KNOW were excellent players. It just sucks the life out of you.

Now, I know the retort.....they are professionals, it is their job, blah, blah......yes, but the team you are playing are also professionals with a goalie standing on their head. You are winning the battles, outplaying them, and still losing.

Bryz has been playing extremely well for a while now. But Briere was not wrong in talking to him. I like it, I LOVE that Bryz has responded to it. Hopefully it continues.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
thelos
Bunk

I think putting Hartnell back with Briere is a good idea.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I never thought I would say this..but Talbot has become one of my favorite players. He probably will really win me and other fans over even more come playoff time when he will be even more clutch...provided he stays healthy of course.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:27 AM
G Money

move briere to the wing and swap him with wellwood kid plays hard every shift he deserves it

G Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:08 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
And if he doesn't?

they will all be RFAs still so it's not like they are just gone for nothing. And this is a long time away...Schenn and Couts have a ways to go before they command a salary big enough to be a major issue.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Bryz has been playing extremely well for a while now. But Briere was not wrong in talking to him. I like it, I LOVE that Bryz has responded to it. Hopefully it continues.
talking to him privately is great. i suggested Lavi / Homer do just that a few weeks back.

publicly saying "If he wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..." [exact quote] is inexcusable [even if he also says this to his face]

NO excuse EVER for not playing hard. period. end of story

'but our goalie gave up a softie !!' .. then, guess what: try TWICE AS HARD !! jeezus !!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
talking to him privately is great. i suggested Lavi / Homer do just that a few weeks back.

publicly saying "If he wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..." [exact quote] is inexcusable [even if he also says this to his face]

'but our goalie gave up a softie !!' .. then, guess what: try TWICE AS HARD !! jeezus !!
This team must have been pretty fed up with him to have made those comments. You can defend him all you want but he owes them one big apology for being a bad teammate. Let's hope he continues to keep his game going in the right direction.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Lavy when asked about Briere saying Bryz has been better teammate of late. "I think Bryz has been fine all year."

obviously Lavy was NOT happy with Briere's public comments.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:

It's really hard to try twice as hard when you go balls out every shift. Also it's deflating when your trying your best and the goalie you defend every second of the day wasn't giving his all for his team mates. He was called out and has responded. Don't make this into a bigger issue then it is, because it's about Bryz not Briere

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
This team must have been pretty fed up with him to have made those comments. You can defend him all you want but he owes them one big apology for being a bad teammate. Let's hope he continues to keep his game going in the right direction.
this is NOT about Bryz.... my beef is with 'disappearing Danny' calling out a teammate PUBLICLY, and needing to find REASONS to ...... 'try hard'

Old
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
You're taking something that makes Bryz look bad and you're trying to deflect the whole thing onto Briere.

Shocking.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:52 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Last I checked Briere has made more deposits than withdrawals with this organization. While less than perfect with his D game and his lazy penalties at times... he puts his money where his mouth is come playoff time more times than not. I think since we acquired him he's had one so so playoff year and it was b/c of injury if I recall correctly.

Bryz meanwhile still has a lot to prove and him coming to this team and being so nonchalant and being a drama king needed to be addressed and Briere has enough clout based on what he's put in with this organization to request that he step up.

Ever since Briere has come here he has dealt with a lot of BS ..mostly being jerked around line wise and playing out of position. He finally got a complementary player in Leino and he went on to record one of the greatest performances in playoff history that year they went to the Finals. I think he deserves a little more benefit of the doubt than Bryz....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

wrong again, Beef .... i don't care WHO Danny is talking about.

my feelings are about Danny saying:

"If [insert name here] wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."
"If Laviloette wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."
"If Holmgren wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."
"If Mr. Snyder wants the guys to keep playing hard for him ..."

MY feelings are about Danny. PERIOD.

if you want to give him a pass for this attitude because of who he said it about, that's on you ....

me, he gets NO PASSES for saying ANYTHING about needing reasons to 'play hard'