HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Myers, The VRP, The Pierre

Old
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Can someone explain this 4 point game thing to me? Would it have been better for Buffalo to lose against Vancouver and win tonight?
Yes, because while we would still be at the same place point wise, the latter sequence prevents Winnipeg from gaining 2 points. Now instead of being 2 back from Winnipeg, we're 4 back. Essentially it's because we don't care how many points Vancouver gets or doesn't get; their point total doesn't impact our playoff chances.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Respect for what..or who exactly?
Respect for the American players on your own team. I'm going to stop talking about this now.

aceface33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
MagnumForce

Again, yet another team looked like they were on the powerplay for a good portion of the night against the Sabres. For what it's worth, the overall team defense played pretty good.

MagnumForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
The guy got a step on him I'll give you that, but by the time he got by Regehr he was in close to Miller and at a bad angle, Miller's gotta make that save.

He did...

He just gave up a rebound..

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Quote:
Can someone explain this 4 point game thing to me? Would it have been better for Buffalo to lose against Vancouver and win tonight?
Losing to Vancouver and winning tonight would have absolutely been better from a points standpoint. The Sabres would now be 2 points out instead of 4 if that happened.

Rhett4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
snoop244

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
G- Myers and Sek.
EHS getting chances but you gotta bury them.
Being 4 out and 1 game in hand. Gonna have to win next game. Winnipeg goes on road and they're bad on road hopefully it continues.

B- Can't win em all. They looked dead.
VRP- give leino the promotion. I think roy is better defensively anyways.

U- PIERRE MCQUIRE SHUT THE **** UP
Please, oh please not Leino. There couldn't be a worse pairing for Vanek and Poms - two guys who produce when on the receiving end of passes from playmakers. Leino waterbugs at all the wrong times, throws off every rush I've seen him part of and is a horrible, horrible passer. Sure, he made one nice pass to Poms. Beyond that, nothing.

I say move CoHo there if the 2nd line doesn't put up points.

snoop244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Yeah, Miller wasn't great tonight, but he shouldn't have had to be.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
joshjull

Quote:
Yes it would have

Its a 4 point game because of the 4 point swing in where we would be in relation to the Jets. We were 2pts back or them. If we win we are tied with them in points. Since we lost we are 4pts back. Its the 2 points the Jets get that make it a 4pt game.

Had we lost to the Nucks and won tonight we would be 2pts back.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Yes, because while we would still be at the same place point wise, the latter sequence prevents Winnipeg from gaining 2 points. Now instead of being 2 back from Winnipeg, we're 4 back. Essentially it's because we don't care how many points Vancouver gets or doesn't get; their point total doesn't impact our playoff chances.
Ah, understood.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:03 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Booooooooooooooooooooo
What, it's just some good natured heckling. I don't expect that you should interpret this as me saying that all posters under the age of 18 are dumb. Or if you are under 18 you should not be offended even if that was my intent.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceface33 View Post
Respect for the American players on your own team. I'm going to stop talking about this now.

Well.. I respect your opinion... but.. the chants didn't bother me... i thought they were clever...and provided fun for the Jet fans. Chants don't have any effect on players.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Yeah, Miller wasn't great tonight, but he shouldn't have had to be.
Another poster said it best in my opinion; whether it's the way it should be or not, the team goes as Miller goes right now.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I think you're trying to hard to make this about fans disrespecting people as opposed to fans having fun.

Were Sabres fans disrepecting any non American Sabres when they were chanting USA, USA during strong games from Miller?

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Well.. I respect your opinion... but.. the chants didn't bother me... i thought they were clever...and provided fun for the Jet fans. Chants don't have any effect on players.
Yeah, I said earlier that I realize that they probably don't affect the players...I was just successfully trolled by Winnipeg fans...shots at team USA get my dander up.

JJ: I said in an earlier post I don't like the USA chants either.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:08 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Ugly: The panic in here. Team had no edge. Let's see how they respond next game. True test.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
NoClue4u

So, could it be that Vanek, Roy, and Pominville individually are all great, but mixed together, they are all crappy? Could it be that Vanek and Pominville plus any center, EXCEPT Roy, is greatness, but Vanek and Pominville, plus Roy is trash?

And maybe that is all psychological, but still true?

NoClue4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
HogtownSabresfan

...and Miller was fine. Stopped major turnover from Leopold and winning goal was perfect shot

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Alright, guess I'll finally get around to my GBU!

Good:
Myers
Pavelec

Bad:
VRP

Ugly:
NBCizzle dizzle

Thought CoHo looked bad tonight as well. It was a fast paced game for a tired team and it clearly did not suit his game.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
I don't care if you find it hilarious or not, it's a respect thing. Whether the players care or not is immaterial. You are disrespecting the American players on your own team by chanting that. Maybe you'll understand when you're older.
It's gamesmanship.
They are not disrespecting the players on their own team, they are simply trying to get into the head of the most important player on the opposing team.

Maybe you'll understand when you're not so ********.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Does your hate extend to Miller? To all USA hockey players?

I find your stance on this as comical as you find the chant.
I don't particularly care for Miller, but there are US-born players that I like.
When they are playing for the US team though, I do not like them.

Quote:
What, it's just some good natured heckling. I don't expect that you should interpret this as me saying that all posters under the age of 18 are dumb. Or if you are under 18 you should not be offended even if that was my intent.
I am not under the age of 18.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Weird Fish

Send a message via AIM to Weird Fish
Good:

- I'm loathe to acknowledge it, but Stafford has been doing all the little things right lately. I've liked him a lot.
- I love Hodgson on the power play. It's clear that he comes from a team that actually has a power play coach.
- The Leino - Kaleta and Ellis - Boyes - Tropp combinations looked great all game.
- Myers came to play. He was a beast out there.
- Liked Weber - Ehrhoff as well. Since when does Mike Weber have some offensive skill?
- Winnipeg crowd
- I like the way that Winnipeg plays hockey. Fast and physical. It's fun to watch.
- Getting to watch a game on TV instead of on an internet stream. Even if it was on NBC Sports.

Bad:
- Seems that his time spent playing with Ennis has convinced Gerbe that he can be a scorer at this level. Paring back his ice time seems like the appropriate message to send to get him back to doing the little things right.
- Sekera's strong play seemed to come to a crashing halt tonight. Waving the stick rather than moving his feet and taking the body on the Ladd goal, several other mistakes throughout the game...blah.
- Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers.

Ugly:
- Vanek - Roy. **** you for putting them back together Lindy. Again. I'm torn right now between wanting to see them split up, and wanting to just stick them on the 4th line, limit them at ES, and using them on special teams.
- Our inability to establish our game. It forces us to just react to the opposition all game long. When we're playing a team like Winnipeg, who likes to play a wide open game, we're stuck playing their game, which we can't do.
- Inability to win puck battles in one of the biggest games of the year. Winnipeg wanted it more.
- The nickname CoHo. What is he a teen pop star or something?

Randoms:
- I can't be too down on Ennis, because he was one of the only players creating tonight, but man you've gotta finish.
- Loved Regehr physically tonight, but as the game wore on it was evident that the injury was bugging him. Getting burnt on the Thorburn goal standing out there.
- Miller was a bit shaky tonight, although ultimately I can't fault him too much. Would be nice if the team could pick up the goaltending on an average night for once.

Last edited by Weird Fish: 03-05-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: edited to blast the CoHo nickname
Weird Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:12 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Pierre was right about one thing...in order to win Ryan Miller needed to save at least 32 shots. Well, WPG only had 31 shots on goal. If only they had a like 5 or 6 more shots the Sabres would have won.

Logic, Pierre, how does it ****ing work?
Yeah!

And it's all Vanek's fault! TV didn't fall down enough or backchecked too hard that one time which denied Miller that 32nd shot!

We coulda' been somethin'.... We coulda' been a contender....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:16 PM
washman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClue4u View Post
So, could it be that Vanek, Roy, and Pominville individually are all great, but mixed together, they are all crappy? Could it be that Vanek and Pominville plus any center, EXCEPT Roy, is greatness, but Vanek and Pominville, plus Roy is trash?

And maybe that is all psychological, but still true?
or it could be that Vanek sucks the skill from his line mates like a black hole bends light.

washman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:19 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by washman View Post
or it could be that Vanek sucks the skill from his line mates like a black hole bends light.
You could believe this, if it was the first 10 games you've ever watched him play.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:21 PM
washman

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Yeah!

And it's all Vanek's fault! TV didn't fall down enough or backchecked too hard that one time which denied Miller that 32nd shot!

We coulda' been somethin'.... We coulda' been a contender....
Well that's just silly. Vanek doesn't backcheck, let alone backcheck hard.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:22 PM
washman

Quote:
You could believe this, if it was the first 10 games you've ever watched him play.
I've watched him play too much.