HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Will Hejduk return next year?

Old
03-05-2012, 06:32 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

vCash: 500
I hope he turns it around, I'd hate to see Hejduk continue with this slump only to call it quits afterwards.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
It's so weird how his production has just completely disappeared. He's got 2 points (both assists) in his last 10 games during the most important stretch of the year, and just 2 goals in his last 26 games. 4 goals in his last 39 games, because he had a two goal game a while before that.

I can't figure it out. Nothing really changed, and he's been a model of consistency prior to this year. He's skating well, handling the puck well. Just looks a little disinterested, and his confidence, and shot have just vanished.

It would be real special for him to reach 1000 games, especially with the same team. That's a pretty impressive feat. I think he can still help the team in a lesser role, but even on the 3rd line, he's going to have to help contribute a bit offensively, and not hold his linemates back.

It would also be a beneift to keep from naming one of the youngsters captain for another year as well IMO. That being said, it sure seems possible that C on Hejduk's chest is awfully heavy for him.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:53 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
It's so weird how his production has just completely disappeared. He's got 2 points (both assists) in his last 10 games during the most important stretch of the year, and just 2 goals in his last 26 games. 4 goals in his last 39 games, because he had a two goal game a while before that.

I can't figure it out. Nothing really changed, and he's been a model of consistency prior to this year. He's skating well, handling the puck well. Just looks a little disinterested, and his confidence, and shot have just vanished.

It would be real special for him to reach 1000 games, especially with the same team. That's a pretty impressive feat. I think he can still help the team in a lesser role, but even on the 3rd line, he's going to have to help contribute a bit offensively, and not hold his linemates back.

It would also be a beneift to keep from naming one of the youngsters captain for another year as well IMO. That being said, it sure seems possible that C on Hejduk's chest is awfully heavy for him.
Indeed. I really don't believe he just hit the wall. I don't believe that happens over night as it seemingly did this year. Unless he simply hurt something and has decided to play on for the year rather than going through a surgery or something. Perhaps indicating he will get it fixed when he's retired which could be this off-season.

Even if he did "hit the wall", usually vision and hands are what goes last, not first. Instead he still seems to have the movement, but can't do anything with his hands. It's just all wrong.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:10 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

IMO the bolded is the best case for bringing him back.

That said if he can get healthy and bounce back for this stretch run, then his play could warrant his return, regardless of the benefit our youngins get playing with less pressure while he carries the C.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I think people really overrate the "C" on here sometimes.

Hejduk will be able to come back if he wants to, but he's going to have as much of an impact as a 3rd line C as Adam Foote did.....Did we really benefit much from Adam Foote having that C? Anybody who he could have influenced (Quincey, Liles) are gone or if they're still on the roster, they sure haven't stepped up all that much. And Foote didn't really contribute anything at all most games himself either. I can't see Hejduk's last hurrah being any different.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Hejduk has always had a very unique shooting technique where he uses just his wrists. It's possible he just can't generate the force he used to and that's why he doesn't really have a backup plan for scoring. His slap shots aren't effective.

But I don't think it's just that. He doesn't get into a lot of scoring positions either. He is still good at carrying the puck but it seems he is kept to the outside much more than he used to be.

It's possible we can have him on a third line playing on the second PP next year, but I am not sure it's the best route going forward. Perhaps giving Olver that spot will help us more.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Lol at some of the explanations on here. You don't think Hejduk told Sacco that it's okay for him to be on the 4th line. I mean Sacco always talks to Hejduk and even let him back in the lineup after his injury during the win streak. I'm pretty sure Hejduk realizes he blows now and is perfectly okay with playing on the 4th line and PP.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:48 AM
Landeslog

nooooooope

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:50 AM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post
nooooooope
Thanks for the highly detailed input. Pretty much sums everything

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:12 AM
foppagirl21

I wouldn't be shocked if this way Hejduk's last season. Saddened, yes, but not shocked. However, I do hope he has one more year in him so he can continue to wear the 'A' while the rest of the team matures and other players (Landeskog and O'Reilly come to mind) get a chance to step up more.

So personally I want him to return for that last reason alone.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:03 AM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Hejduk has always had a very unique shooting technique where he uses just his wrists. It's possible he just can't generate the force he used to and that's why he doesn't really have a backup plan for scoring. His slap shots aren't effective.
I don't think this is it at all. He's never really been great at slap shots to begin with. But he's always been able to pick a corner with his wristers. A couple games ago, he had the perfect opportunity. He took a pass, had a wide open shot form the right side...and missed the net completely wide and high. The shot had a lot of force still and is a typical shot he would have scored on any other year. I have a feeling that the last half of last season and the first half of this season has his confidence at nil. Snipers are the kind that if they don't get in a rhythm, it can really throw them off. To me he's either hurt and trying to play through it or his confidence has hit Svatos levels.

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Damn you are fast to write someone off, Duchene is having worse year than before "TRADE TRADE TRADE", Stastny, "TRADE TRADE TRADE".. C'mon guys. Hejduk is going to think about it in summer and maybe he will come back maybe not.

(obviously they are bit different situations, because Duke is close of retirement, when these guys will play another 10 years). But my point was, you just have to have SOME FAITH on this team and players!!

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Damn you are fast to write someone off, Duchene is having worse year than before "TRADE TRADE TRADE", Stastny, "TRADE TRADE TRADE".. C'mon guys. Hejduk is going to think about it in summer and maybe he will come back maybe not.

(obviously they are bit different situations, because Duke is close of retirement, when these guys will play another 10 years). But my point was, you just have to have SOME FAITH on this team and players!!
I wouldn't say this is a quick to write him off situation. Hejduk has been so consistent over the years that this season is such an anomaly that you have to wonder. Not the case with Duchene.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:32 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I think people really overrate the "C" on here sometimes.

Hejduk will be able to come back if he wants to, but he's going to have as much of an impact as a 3rd line C as Adam Foote did.....Did we really benefit much from Adam Foote having that C? Anybody who he could have influenced (Quincey, Liles) are gone or if they're still on the roster, they sure haven't stepped up all that much. And Foote didn't really contribute anything at all most games himself either. I can't see Hejduk's last hurrah being any different.
I think the biggest benefit of giving it to Duke is that it keeps some of the kids from feeling they need to start doing everything out there so that they earn the C. I think both Erik Johnson and Matt Duchene's early season struggles were connected to how they were trying to do too much in their bids for the letter.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Hans Landaskog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I think the biggest benefit of giving it to Duke is that it keeps some of the kids from feeling they need to start doing everything out there so that they earn the C. I think both Erik Johnson and Matt Duchene's early season struggles were connected to how they were trying to do too much in their bids for the letter.
Too bad neither will become Captain, though Johnson has somewhat of a chance, just don't see him being the leading candidate.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote