HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Young, NHL-ready defensemen

Old
03-05-2012, 05:57 AM
wej20

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calad View Post
I'm guessing you can look at the Tim Erixon deal this past offseason and figure it out from there. (Two 2nds and a minor prospect for Erixon and a 5th)
Erixon has higher upside that Strait and Bortuzzo though.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Blueland89

Artur kulda has been impressive when I've seen him that was with atlanta though but looked good.

Last edited by Blueland89: 03-05-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Didn't read any posts just posted thought we were just talking about young d men
Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Blitzburgh87*

I like the sound of these deals because I'd rather have a plethora of secondary scoring than one scoring winger on a first line. Secondary scoring is what wins games.

Blitzburgh87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:26 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 50
Just curious, what is Despres ceiling. I like his size and have seen him in few games and he plays very composed for a young player.

So pens fans do you see him as a future 1-2 defenseman?

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanick View Post
Just curious, what is Despres ceiling. I like his size and have seen him in few games and he plays very composed for a young player.

Definitely. He's already showed signs of it at the NHL level. He ALMOST made the roster his first year without even going to the minors. He has to the potential to be a GREAT two way defenseman. He has great stick handling abilities. He'll never have the upside letang does offensively but he could be an amazing defender who can average 30-40 points a year.

Old
03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Definitely. He's already showed signs of it at the NHL level. He ALMOST made the roster his first year without even going to the minors. He has to the potential to be a GREAT two way defenseman. He has great stick handling abilities. He'll never have the upside letang does offensively but he could be an amazing defender who can average 30-40 points a year.
I would have to see more of him but if he is truly as good as Pens fan hype him up and Tarasenko makes a commitment to come to the NHL next year I could see Chris Stewart becoming expendable at the Draft. I think Stewart needs a playmaking center to get him the puck (Crosby, Malkin) and he could be 40 goal guy and a Despres-Pietrangelo pairing could be sick.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

He has a high ceiling. He's got size at 6'4" and very good speed. I think his strength right now is as a puck mover. He's really good and creative in that area. His slap shot is a little weak, but he usually gets it on net. He also has a good wrister. It's hard to predict how good a kid will be, but given his size and tools etc. I'd say he'll be at least a 3rd or 4th D-Man with the potential to grow into a top pairing guy when he fills out a bit more and settles into the NHL game.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:

Pretty much Edler without the big point shot.

So yeah, Despres' ceiling is a top-pairing guy.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Dr Jan Itor

If Minnesota is in a situation where we can't pass up Galchenyuk, then I'd hope we'd try to turn one of our young forwards into a good young defenseman. Larsson, Coyle, Phillips or Zucker could be on the table.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 12:54 PM
bigd

We'll get to see Strait tonight. He was called up today.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
True. If we could unload Hickey at the 2012 draft for a 2nd round pick, things would be good. He's ready to step in next year, but not with the Kings.
Keep dreaming

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 01:51 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

God I'd want Despres to Devils. Never happening though. Not ever.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
God I'd want Despres to Devils. Never happening though. Not ever.
Nope. Never.

Old
03-05-2012, 03:57 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Erixon has higher upside that Strait and Bortuzzo though.
Well ok, but like i was saying its really just a reference point, you can tinker with the value to match what the prospect's ceiling is (a 2nd and a 3rd instead, for example)

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:54 PM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
If Minnesota is in a situation where we can't pass up Galchenyuk, then I'd hope we'd try to turn one of our young forwards into a good young defenseman. Larsson, Coyle, Phillips or Zucker could be on the table.
Jesse Blacker + 3rd round pick 2013 for Zack Phillips or Charlie Coyle?

QMJHLfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Despres goes nowhere.
Well that's too bad cuz he's the only interesting blueliner from the op. You won't trade future AHLers for 2nd round draft picks (Lovejoy, Strait, Bortuzzo are nothing to write home about)

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Well that's too bad cuz he's the only interesting blueliner from the op. You won't trade future AHLers for 2nd round draft picks (Lovejoy, Strait, Bortuzzo are nothing to write home about)
Despres is the only one that would interest an HF poster because he's a very hyped prospect and deservedly so, imo. That doesn't mean the others are nothing though. They can all help a team. I agree none of them will bring a 2nd, but I think all of them would bring a mid or late round pick.

Strait can absolutely play in the league. He was very solid again tonight for the Pens. He's one of those guys I wish we had a spot for because he impresses in almost every opportunity he gets. There's just no room. He's going to be a nice addition to someone's blue line next year though. Trust me on that.

Old
03-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
That says more about you than it does the prospects in question.

Believe it or not, you don't have to be a 1st rounder with top-pairing potential to be a valued asset. Bortuzzo and Strait have given every indication that they will be - at the very least - steady bottom-pairing NHL defenseman next year. And given that most defensemen don't peak at 23/24, there's a good chance they could develop into something more.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
That says more about you than it does the prospects in question.

Believe it or not, you don't have to be a 1st rounder with top-pairing potential to be a valued asset. Bortuzzo and Strait have given every indication that they will be - at the very least - steady bottom-pairing NHL defenseman next year. And given that most defensemen don't peak at 23/24, there's a good chance they could develop into something more.
I fully agree and I'm willing to take back my AHLer comment which was rather rude to these young players.
The thing is, most teams also have young, unflashy bottom-pairing Ds that could perhaps turn into something a little better. That's why unless a team sees something in one of them (which has happened before and is definitely possible), they won't trade for them. Despres on the other hand, everyone would be interested if he were to be on the block, because of the maturity he's shown so far, but most of all because of the upside many believe he has (first rounder or whatnot doesn't really matter anymore at this point).
Say, in a reversed situation, if Beaulieu was knocking on the door after being awesome in the AHL and the Habs were trying to deal Weber, Diaz or St Denis, wouldn't you tell me what I just did?

Old
03-06-2012, 12:55 AM
mpp9

If Morrow impresses again at training camp and pushes for a roster spot with his unique skillset, I wouldn't be opposed to moving Despres for a longterm solution at wing.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If Morrow impresses again at training camp and pushes for a roster spot with his unique skillset, I wouldn't be opposed to moving Despres for a longterm solution at wing.
Depends on the winger. I selfishly want to see a D-Core with Letang, Despres and Morrow in it though. The skill level of that D-Core will be ridiculous.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Jesse Blacker + 3rd round pick 2013 for Zack Phillips or Charlie Coyle?
Don't know much about Blacker, but of the two you mentioned, I'd rather it be Phillips included.

What's Blacker's game like?

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Quote:
I fully agree and I'm willing to take back my AHLer comment which was rather rude to these young players.
The thing is, most teams also have young, unflashy bottom-pairing Ds that could perhaps turn into something a little better. That's why unless a team sees something in one of them (which has happened before and is definitely possible), they won't trade for them. Despres on the other hand, everyone would be interested if he were to be on the block, because of the maturity he's shown so far, but most of all because of the upside many believe he has (first rounder or whatnot doesn't really matter anymore at this point).
Say, in a reversed situation, if Beaulieu was knocking on the door after being awesome in the AHL and the Habs were trying to deal Weber, Diaz or St Denis, wouldn't you tell me what I just did?
Certainly, Despres is the more coveted asset, but that's why he wouldn't get dealt, and why Beaulieu won't either. The whole premise of the thread was to find those teams who would be interested in Bortuzzo and Strait types. Clearly there are a few, as there would be for a steady player like Diaz.

And no offense to the Habs defense, but the Pens blueline is a little harder nut to crack. Chris Campoli wasn't going to come in and get a shot here unless we were down to our 11th defenseman.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Certainly, Despres is the more coveted asset, but that's why he wouldn't get dealt, and why Beaulieu won't either. The whole premise of the thread was to find those teams who would be interested in Bortuzzo and Strait types. Clearly there are a few, as there would be for a steady player like Diaz.

And no offense to the Habs defense, but the Pens blueline is a little harder nut to crack. Chris Campoli wasn't going to come in and get a shot here unless we were down to our 11th defenseman.
Yeah, that's pretty much a given