HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 4 - Oilers 2

Old
03-06-2012, 01:08 AM
dobiezeke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
I'm not a huge Don Cherry fan but it's to bad we don't have a load mouth like him in or media to call out this B.S. reffing. I'm not going to say that is 100% why we lost but a call on the Hemsky face wash/slew foot resulting in a goal could have change the dynamics of the game big time. The token PP at the end of the game is an insult to the Oilers IMO.
Who are we going to ask to call out why we play so poorly at even strength?

dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
He's been suspended for what 14 games this year or something? Then he gets a high hit to the head of Selanne and takes an elbowing penalty and then he gets a 4 minute penalty at the 20:00 of the 3rd for an elbow and slash (Perry is a punk but the elbow was cheap). I don't like the way he plays.

Schultz, Smid and Petry. Big fans of those 3. They know what they are doing.
Smyth put a player into the glass. But hes only 6'. Sutton @ 6-6" is expected to play even more physical than avg players. Border line calls because of his size are going to happen. Far worse was done tonite than the love tap on Selanie, and well Perry. Enuf said.

By the way I noticed u included Whitney as one of your top 4 going fwd. sutton was lights out better than him the last 5-10 games.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
But the frustration should be that the team is horrible at playing 5v5...especially when the league has made it very clear that all games will have less penalties called. Those teams that are able to score at even strength will excel...we will not.
It's an odd thing; they were miraculously getting more 5 on 5 results last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome
i dont like renney

but thats just ridiculous. lol. a combination of things helps develop a player.

including the coach
Oh right, Renney's a good teacher, I forgot. Kudos to him. Too bad he doesn't understand the concept of line changes or bench management.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILFAN #81 View Post
Well I think we all agree that 2 top 4 dmen and a goalie would make them a playoff team but how are we going to do this? It has to be through trade and to get all that we'd have to give up a ton (at least one of the kids) and then that just creates another hole.
Harding is a UFA. I'm not sure he's the answer but there's a name for you at least. I like Schneider actually; I would be willing to overpay for him if the Nucks are willing to deal. They missed the boat really last summer as I would have backed up a truck of cash at Vokoun's door. I know that doesn't mean he would've signed but I'm not even sure they tried.

As for Dmen, I believe there are some players available in free agency or maybe there's a trade to be made. And of course I've been on the Weber bandwagon for months. I would be willing to offer a helluva lot (anything minus 4, 93, 14 and the 1st round pick) to get him.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Renney needs to blow his top with the refs, if it was Tortorella or even Crawford they'd do it just to make a point about it.
As much as I'd like to see him do that and display some damn pride, it's not about to happen. Losses are all good.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Qrispy

Quote:
Renney needs to blow his top with the refs, if it was Tortorella or even Crawford they'd do it just to make a point about it.
Nah, it was a learning experience for the team.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Rawg
CEM

Dont mind losing to teams who need points to reach the 8th spot ahead of calgary

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
As much as I'd like to see him do that and display some damn pride, it's not about to happen. Losses are all good.
It's not even for pride's sake it's to make sure the refs know you know what's up.

In basketball a coach will get himself thrown out of the game on purpose now and again to make a point to the refs/fire up the team.

It's not even about doing it because you're mad.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Asher

Quote:
It's not even for pride's sake it's to make sure the refs know you know what's up.

In basketball a coach will get himself thrown out of the game on purpose now and again to make a point to the refs/fire up the team.
I think Sather did the same a couple of times. But those were the '80s. Everybody was wild and crazy back then.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I'm not convinced that Renney even has a pulse. He's a zombie on the bench.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:23 AM
Tyrolean

Hate it when the team loses to teams that are not much better. Oilers have a lot of lapses in every game and they is why their record is very poor. They really only have one sniper, and collectively check and pass rather poorly.

Individually they have some good players, so I believe the root cause is the coaching staff. Their goal-tending is not up to par as well.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:26 AM
numberthirtyfive*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Hate it when the team loses to teams that are not much better. Oilers have a lot of lapses in every game and they is why their record is very poor. They really only have one sniper, and collectively check and pass rather poorly.

Individually they have some good players, so I believe the root cause is the coaching staff. Their goal-tending is not up to par as well.
i didn't know you were playing the OKC barons tonight...

numberthirtyfive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Ducks aren't very good and despite Sportsnet tool Daren Millard's protests to the contrary ("They still have Edmonton three times~lol!!!) they won't be making the playoffs.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Too much complaining.

What are we?

Vancouver fans?

Pffffffft.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:31 AM
numberthirtyfive*

Quote:
The Ducks aren't very good and despite Sportsnet tool Daren Millard's protests to the contrary ("They still have Edmonton three times~lol!!!) they won't be making the playoffs.

numberthirtyfive* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:33 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

The Ducks are sort of.. an older version of the Oilers.

No top pairing defensemen, one and a half good forward lines, goaltending that only occasionally shows up.

They just have more second pairing defensemen and their forwards have more candles on their birthday cakes.

So yes, Oilers fans.. this is what we can have in a few years. 12th instead of 14th.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:
Yup, they'll be fighting Calgary for 9th place. I'll actually put my money on the Flames to win that battle.

Old
Soundwave

Quote:
I never really thought that. They should be a playoff team looking at their roster. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne still producing at a high clip, Hiller is decent, Visnovsky, Fowler, etc.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberthirtyfive View Post
Maybe next year they won't take October, November and December off. We'll see.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:34 AM
pocketful
"We'll see"

Interesting to see Schultz with another point. He has 2 points in three games with the Oilers and 3 points in 62 with the Wilds. Don't know what to make of this.

On a positive note, Smid and Petry pretty solid shutting down the Ducks. And Nugent-Hopkins/Eberle goal was a beauty. And! Three injured Oilers during the game but luckily nothing serious. (Feel like we dodged bullets.)

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:35 AM
Silver

Quote:
I never really thought that. They should be a playoff team looking at their roster. Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne still producing at a high clip, Hiller is decent, Visnovsky, Fowler, etc.
Their start was horrific. Like, um...worse than the 1918 flu epidemic.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
During the first three months of the season they reminded me of a rich man's Oilers. They had one line going depending on the week and it was usually line one or two (sometimes it was only one player) and they had Visnovsky looking like he was on the downside of his career along with a questionable defence standing behind him outside of Fowler.

Their struggles aren't surprising to me. They just have a collection of world class players that have the ability to turn it on when it looks like it's going to be a lost season. They pulled the same act last year.

Old
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Like I said, one good forward line plus Selanne, streaky goaltending and no top pairing. Visnovsky has officially jumped the shark and Fowler is blowing the rest of his team away at -20.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

Quote:
Maybe next year they won't take October, November and December off. We'll see.
It's SoCal. They love "drama"

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Soundwave

Our PP basically should just be .... get the freaking puck to Nugent Hopkins.

As soon as he gets the puck, five seconds later its in the back of the net.