HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official "Welcome to the Bandwagon" Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post

@Qui Gon, the core group of Preds fans who have been with this organization for years now have always been passionate and loud at games. For a long time the seats seemed empty, but the crowds were still rockin'. The reason for that was the lack of corporate support to fill the lower bowl (i.e. the seats that show up on tv cameras), but a very healthy support from individual fans. I think the average ratio around the league was 6:4 corporate to individuals. Here it was almost exactly the opposite. Now that the local boys have taken control of the team they have made huge strides in repairing relationships that were fractured by Leipold's regime. It feels great as a long time Preds fan who remembers having to deal with talk of relocation daily, from every direction

With that said, I wouldn't trade the rough times for anything, probably not even a Cup (but it'd be close). I think those years pulled the core fan base together tighter than even winning the all could have done. We are a family now. We cheer together like a family. We get down together like a family. We fight and bicker and claw at each other like a family
Back in 07 at the height of "people thinking we don't deserve a team" I always had the same theory, no matter how unpopular and way-too-rational it may have seemed to the detractors. Nashville is a southern city with so many traditionally-southern people rooted in the area. This "ice hockey" wasn't going to go over easily and it wasn't going to attract a steady stream of old-timers. What it was, though, was something new and exciting. The younger generation was going to grab hold of it and follow it in a way the older ones just couldn't/wouldn't do.

So essentially you had these kids who grew up watching the Preds play, and they don't see it as some "foreign sport". It's just hockey. Nashville has a team, we're pretty good, and it's fun and exciting. This is where reality kicks in and this is what I (and probably many others) always said when the topic of moving the Preds came up: Yes, the attendance was bad for awhile but it's because the younger generation that grew up on the team wasn't old enough yet to provide a consistent attendance boost by being able to buy their own season tickets, individual tickets, go have a night downtown at a game, etc. Take a look around the arena on any given night and there are so many people in their 20s and younger that simply couldn't buy tickets in the beginning when we struggled to fill seats.

The fan base and the population of Nashville needed time to grow and evolve and this is what I always knew/hoped would happen. Great attendance, competitive teams, and quite honestly hockey is ingrained in the culture of Nashville for quite a percentage of the city. It's not some new thing, it's just one of our teams. I mean I've been a fan since before we even had the "Predators" name, and when we started playing, I was the weird one in high school for liking the Preds so much. Now....everyone does. It's the thing in town these days. I ran into a guy from my high school at the Preds-Avs game in Denver because he flew out just to go, much like I did. That's an example of the evolution of hockey in town. Now you have young kids who don't even know what it's like to not have the NHL in Nashville. They'll become fans, they'lll grow up and buy tickets and the cycle continues. I was just afraid the league was going to abandon us before we had a chance to prove what the outsiders finally see now.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman1 View Post
Oh, Bubba. Didn't he get a hat trick against the WIngs? I remember Tencrat had a hatty against the Wings but I thought Bubba did too. Wasn't he reported missing and later found dead or am I dreaming that?
He scored the overtime goal that beat Dominic Hasek and the Wings 3-2 here at home. Don't know the date but I have the article cut out and on my bulletin board at work. The headline was "Party Time for Bubbas" ha ha!

He went AWOL from the Stars organization (who wouldn't? just kidding Charlie) but he's still alive.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:34 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
This is great, thanks QGD
RBC - Here are the updated versions with Andrei actually wearing his new jersey, should you want any. Fitting pic as well, it's AK scoring his first goal as a Pred

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:18 AM
Godzilla

I never though I would catch myself "clicking" on another teams thread(s) other than the Habs....but I'm hooked.

Is there a sign up list for the bandwagon? I want in !!

Godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:38 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
I never though I would catch myself "clicking" on another teams thread(s) other than the Habs....but I'm hooked.

Is there a sign up list for the bandwagon? I want in !!
naa just hang around, cheer for the team, and be bipolar

You can go to the Avatar thread to request a bandwagon avatar if you want

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
RBC - Here are the updated versions with Andrei actually wearing his new jersey, should you want any. Fitting pic as well, it's AK scoring his first goal as a Pred

Nice Work!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Nice Work!
Thanks. Looks like this board is well stocked for photoshop talent but if another is needed at any point, feel free to ask and I'll see if I can help. If anyone wants one of the AK ones, help yourselves.

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue but I posted 3 avys and only 2 appear to me for some reason (yellow and blue). If anyone wants the white version, click here and you should be able to find them all.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Man this is great, haven't checked this thread until now. Welcome aboard Habs fans and others.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
I don't know if anyone else is having this issue but I posted 3 avys and only 2 appear to me for some reason (yellow and blue).
I'm seeing all 3 in your earlier post, don't know what the issue is on your end.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Shea Weber

I love this thread.

Question for Habs fans,

How often will you (if at all) get full coverage of Preds games on TV....or are you going to resort to internet links, etc? I imagine there is an NHL package for all the games like there is in the states, hell it might be the exact same thing (Center Ice, I believe?). Just wondering the difference in NHL coverage up there as it is certainly more than in Tennessee. I am addicted to NHL network and love that NBC sports has games seemingly every night now, but that's about all we get. I imagine you can catch highlights of all games on TSN if nothing else?

Just thinking how if our roles were reversed it would be nearly impossible to watch a Canadian teams games without paying for Center Ice other than catching the random National game.

I can't stand ESPN, especially this time of year (basketball, basketball, basketb...zzzzzzz). I would love having your TV stations down here. Much better options for puckheads.

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
I love this thread.

Question for Habs fans,

How often will you (if at all) get full coverage of Preds games on TV....or are you going to resort to internet links, etc? I imagine there is an NHL package for all the games like there is in the states, hell it might be the exact same thing (Center Ice, I believe?). Just wondering the difference in NHL coverage up there as it is certainly more than in Tennessee. I am addicted to NHL network and love that NBC sports has games seemingly every night now, but that's about all we get. I imagine you can catch highlights of all games on TSN if nothing else?

Just thinking how if our roles were reversed it would be nearly impossible to watch a Canadian teams games without paying for Center Ice other than catching the random National game.

I can't stand ESPN, especially this time of year (basketball, basketball, basketb...zzzzzzz). I would love having your TV stations down here. Much better options for puckheads.

On the local french channel ( RDS), its Habs all the time...every second, every minute, every hour, every day, 24hrs a day...even in the summer. So much so they had to create RDS 2 just to cover other sports. When the Habs are not playing, they may show an Ottawa game if they are playing that night.

The only way to possibly catch a Nashville game will be through the NHL Network, or internet feeds. TSN does a better job at covering other games, but I will probably follow it on the radio over the net to get sure access wherever I am via my Android.

Tonight, I will be listening to the Nashville game on the radio and watching the Habs game on TV. The way its been going lately for Montreal, I would prefer the opposite.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
On the local french channel ( RDS), its Habs all the time...every second, every minute, every hour, every day, 24hrs a day...even in the summer. So much so they had to create RDS 2 just to cover other sports. When the Habs are not playing, they may show an Ottawa game if they are playing that night.

The only way to possibly catch a Nashville game will be through the NHL Network, or internet feeds. TSN does a better job at covering other games, but I will probably follow it on the radio over the net to get sure access wherever I am via my Android.

Tonight, I will be listening to the Nashville game on the radio and watching the Habs game on TV. The way its been going lately for Montreal, I would prefer the opposite.
Listening to the NSH game in English and watching the MTL game in French? Doesn't that hurt your brain?

Old
03-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I love this thread.

Question for Habs fans,

The TV coverage of the NHL "up here" in England has been pretty c**p for the last few years

As far as the news coverage of the NHL, the last time I saw hockey on there was 4am the night Crosby came back this season. Before that, it was when Gretzky retired. There is hockey shown on at least one subscription channel over here, but I don't have that. There used to be one or two NHL games a week on a free to air channel a few years back but that channel has long since ceased showing sports in their late night slots in favour of betting shows and shopping channel type stuff through the night.

For the last few years, I've relied on an online subscription to watch the NHL from Europe. This year it switched to the full NHL Gamecenter Live package but before this year, a simpler version with less features was available through ESPN. Both offer(ed) all games live and full game archive. The extra features on GCL make it way better than the ESPN service though.

As a result, I've had access to Nashville games whenever I've wanted for the last few years and every now and again, I'd tune in for a game. I like the Nashville broadcast team, they are one of the better ones I've found for Western Conference games. In fact, the Central division is probably the best Western division for team specific broadcasts IMO with only Columbus leaving me somewhat underwhelmed. Detroit and Chicago feeds are good but have a couple of issues. I'd rank the Preds 2nd behind the Blues in the Central and also behind Colorado for the West (from the feeds I'm familiar with).

I'm not so fond of Canadian braodcasters covering Habs game in most cases. TSN Habs is the best of the bunch, otherwise those feeds seem to side against the Habs somewhat, no matter who the opponent. Otherwise, they'll talk positively about some of the Habs but never say a good word about others, you can sense a certain amount of favouritism from them. That said, I'd love more readily available hockey coverage over here, as in Canada. Maybe one day we'll get NHL games or highlights on free to air TV once again, but that would be a best case scenario. There is no depth of failure low enough to respresent how bad ratings would be over here for the NHL entry draft if it were on TV, for example. The coverage of that event would probably be extremely funny to watch though, with nobody knowing who, what, when, where, why or how. Although from what I've heard, it may still compare favourably to RDS draft coverage

Thankfully the internet is what it is these days. Before it, you'd have to wait 48 hours to find results in a newspaper (if they bothered to print them) and your best bet for finding out about rosters and the like was each year when a new NHL game would come out. There have been magazines and the odd mention of the sport on radio shows but you couldn't rely on either existing when or where you wanted it. If the 10 year old me knew then, how easy it would be to watch games live in HD, find out info about the team and discuss the Habs and the sport of hockey so easily, I'd have overdosed on adrenaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I'm seeing all 3 in your earlier post, don't know what the issue is on your end.
Thanks. Good to know it's working for someone. Sometimes works for me when I open the page fresh but the white one seems to hide every time I refresh the page and sometimes from fresh. Either way, if it works for everyone else, it's not much of a problem.

Quote:
Haha, reminds me of when I used to do write ups of Bulldogs games on this site. When the Habs and Dogs games clashed, I put both on in different windows and tried to watch both. Finding time between both games to write up what I'd seen ASAP was a b**** though. Intermissions were never long enough and if the games started with a 30 minute time difference, well... grrrr.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 03-06-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Listening to the NSH game in English and watching the MTL game in French? Doesn't that hurt your brain?

Naw, Im used to it. I am perfectly Bilingual...(well tri-lingual actually but who's counting), and bouncing between french and english all day for work or at home comes naturally. When you live in Montreal, ya kinda dont have a choice.

If I am lucky, they will show highlights of the Preds game between periods or during TV timeouts since our own media still has an interest in what Andrei and Gill are doing considering that the trades are still rather recent.

Old
03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Shea Weber

Oh man, Hockey coverage in England.....forgot there was several posters on here in Europe.

Internet for sure, I would suggest a VGA to VGA cable if you have a TV/Laptop that has the ports to support it....

I guess I can't complain about coverage here in the states!

Old
03-06-2012, 04:21 PM
wadesworld

GameCenter Live is awesome. Best money I've spent in a long time.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
I guess I can't complain about coverage here in the states!
Sure you can, it could always be better, especially for those who really care about the sport and how it is covered and presented to them. On the Habs board (or perhaps, considering this season, that should read 'Habs bored') there are always some posts complaining about RDS/CBC/TSN, the people presenting the shows, conducting the interviews, calling the game, discussing it in the intermissions, etc and how something is wrong with it. Sometimes Mike Milbury is employed as an expert! Tell me, who couldn't complain about that

As for coverage in England, live games on the west coast are a pain in the arse but otherwise the time zones are just about close enough together that you can make it work if you have things to do the next day. I feel sorry for people over in places like Australia where the game is on in the middle of the day. How can you work around that if you want to watch it live? You'd probably need time off or a very quiet/empty classroom or work place to watch. At least the internet makes it possible to watch the NHL now, colossal improvement over 15-20 years ago.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Welcome to you all! I spent a few days in Montreal fall of 10. Beautiful city! The people in the pro shop at the Habs arena didn't take too kindly to my Preds jersey, even though I bought a few Habs souvenirs for the kids. Who knew we'd form an unlikely alliance a year or so later? Take care of Geoffrion. He's a Nashville kid (as many banners in the local rink will attest) and he'll always be dear to my heart.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Welcome to you all! I spent a few days in Montreal fall of 10. Beautiful city! The people in the pro shop at the Habs arena didn't take too kindly to my Preds jersey, even though I bought a few Habs souvenirs for the kids. Who knew we'd form an unlikely alliance a year or so later? Take care of Geoffrion. He's a Nashville kid (as many banners in the local rink will attest) and he'll always be dear to my heart.
Yeah Montreal is really nice...in the summer time. Just dont come up here this time of the year because you're in for a shock.

All I am afraid of with Geoffrion is the pressure that comes with playing in Montreal...especially if your family tree is such a part of Habs history as his is. Every player that comes here says the same thing: Montreal can be the best place to play and the worst place all at the same time. Sometimes the passion here for the game goes overboard and any glimmer of rationality and common sense goes out the window. Just read the Habs board, you will understand pretty quick.

I almost find it refreshing to travel to the US and only see a 1/8 page blurb about hockey in the back pages of the sports section, but then I get withdrawals and hot flashes and run to the nearest free WiFi location to get my fix.

Old
03-06-2012, 07:26 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
I love this thread.

Question for Habs fans,

I have the NHL Centre Ice and that is how I get to see the Preds games...

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:59 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
I love this thread.

Question for Habs fans,

Internet streams! best way to watch sports IMO. We catch basically all our games on our local channel (RDS) and then alot of other games will be available to other channels (TSN, CBC) , mostly canadian teams (or Teams RDS has a hardon for, usually Tampa and Pits). Coverage is not bad, and is only getting better.

GL guys will be lurking here in there in the forum, probably Sport an NSH AK avatar in the mean time.
Cheers to long PO's

Quote:

Thx!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post
GameCenter Live is awesome. Best money I've spent in a long time.
AMEN! Especially since they made it to where you can watch free from your phone and PS3 with no additional cost.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
KevFist
is best pony

My cousin Mike played baseball for the 'Spos for several seasons and absolutely loved Montreal. I met the most awesome wisecracking cop there who, when I asked him if he spoke English, responded "No sir. I speak French" in perfect English. I had that one coming...

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I have the NHL Centre Ice and that is how I get to see the Preds games...
Your avatar... :drool:

..what were we talking about again?

Old
03-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
My cousin Mike played baseball for the 'Spos for several seasons and absolutely loved Montreal. I met the most awesome wisecracking cop there who, when I asked him if he spoke English, responded "No sir. I speak French" in perfect English. I had that one coming...

Luckily you came upon one with a sense of humour.

Mike who may I ask?