Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Stuff to do in Winnipeg

Old
03-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Thorntonfan97
#GoldMedalInTheFace

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Stuff to do in Winnipeg

What is some cool stuff to do in Winnipeg we are going in April for 5 days and need some cool things to do

Last edited by Thorntonfan97: 03-05-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:05 PM
metalfoot
Karlsson!

Lots of stuff to do in the Peg. Quite different from Halifax (which is a lovely city; my brother lives there) but lots.

Suggestions:
1) Go visit the Forks. Plan to spend a morning or afternoon there. Lots of history, neat little shops and boutiques. Children's Museum if the kids need something to do.

2) If you like history, go wander around St Boniface and especially the cemetery in front of the cathedral (and explore the cathedral ruins)!

3) Shopping! Lots of great shopping, especially Polo Park mall and vicinity.

4) Assiniboine Zoo. Pretty awesome zoo, and interesting for adults as well as kids.

Note: I'm writing this as a 30-something dad, so your ideas of what's interesting may be different. I would suggest catching a Jets game but the odds of finding a ticket in April with the Jets in a playoff hunt are really low.

Last edited by metalfoot: 03-05-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: clarification
metalfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
What is some cool stuff to do in Winnupeg we are going in April for 5 days and need some cool things to do
Osborne Village, Corydon, the Exchange District.
check em out. good times.

mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:25 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

The Forks, Osbourne Villiage, Polo Park, Assiniboine Park, Exchange District, Little Italy.

Its a very odd city, the streets are one way, there is no 1st, 2nd, 3rd streets and be careful for confusion corner.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:57 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntonfan97 View Post
What is some cool stuff to do in Winnupeg we are going in April for 5 days and need some cool things to do
Really?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
White Pine

vCash: 432
Nothing. Nothing to do, no park, no entertainment for the kids... It will be a hard trip for your family...

I haven't been there in ages. Assiniboine park is interesting, though I'm not sure what it's like in April. Going over what I used to do there when I visited (was a kid at the time), it was mostly a regimen of community centre playground visits, Tinkertown, Zoo trips, and a week at Hillside Beach. Although, I suspect that's not the sort of thing you want to do anyways.
I don't live there, but the zoo and Cathedral suggestions are good. You could check out the Forks to say you've been there (I forget what's there now, a market?). They have a bison farm a ways out where you can see bison and eat bison burgers afterward. It's probably not that easy to get to. It's an interesting time for construction though. They're building a giant museum at the forks (oooh I forgot, they have a train museum), a new stadium for the Blue Bombers on the fringes, and AND if you stay long enough..... there will be.... wait for it... a few kilometres of rapid transit!!:high clap: haha

Anyways, there's always the Legislative Building to tour, and a revolving restaurant somewhere (though I haven't heard raving reviews, look into that before going). I'm not sure what that time of year is like, but they might be opening the floodway, which is usually cool to watch.

White Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Thorntonfan97
#GoldMedalInTheFace

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Thanks everyone and sorry for misspelling Winnipeg it was on my phone so I hit the wrong letter

Thorntonfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
I'll echo the recommendations of the Forks, Exchange District and Osborne Village. Cool stuff to be found at all 3, just spend some time walking around those and checking things out. If you give us some more information, we could be of more help.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:23 PM
jetkarma

Tell us what you like . There are some really good small live music venues , great places to eat , the forks , the exchange district , but really what is you like and are you bringing family along , kids , coming with some friends?

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Ulf Hullberg

You're coming at a good time as the snow should all be gone, and the weather forecast for the spring is calling for above normal temps...so some outdoor activities could be on the agenda.

That being said, if you gave us some info on what your interests are, what dates, and if you're coming with a family or not would be more helpful with suggestions.

And hey, with any luck the Jets would be involved in the playoffs at the time.

Ulf Hullberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:55 AM
HannuJ

vCash: 367
you might be in Winnipeg in time for a very important local celebration:

Bananafest

HannuJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:06 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Take a tour of the mint.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

It's funny that a lot of touristy attractions are currently in the process of being built. Like the new polar bear enclosure at the zoo that will actually have tundra buggies and stuff.. and the human rights museum. Aviation museum at the new airport hopefully ends up being an attraction too. Still museums and zoos aren't the main reasons people come visit places. You know what'd be neat.. if they had a train that made trips to Grand Beach and then back to Winnipeg for the summer.

In any case, I think Winnipeg has a ton of stuff to do, but it's just poorly promoted. Our tourism people need to look at target demographics, and make lists of what we have that appeals to them.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
It's funny that a lot of touristy attractions are currently in the process of being built. Like the new polar bear enclosure at the zoo that will actually have tundra buggies and stuff.. and the human rights museum. Aviation museum at the new airport hopefully ends up being an attraction too. Still museums and zoos aren't the main reasons people come visit places. You know what'd be neat.. if they had a train that made trips to Grand Beach and then back to Winnipeg for the summer.

In any case, I think Winnipeg has a ton of stuff to do, but it's just poorly promoted. Our tourism people need to look at target demographics, and make lists of what we have that appeals to them.
They actually used to have a train that went to grand beach. A lady I work with said she used to take it as a kid.

I think what will appeal to people is based on where they're visiting from.Soemthing like the mint is pretty unique to the city. Grand beach is another good one that isn't the norm fro every city. The forks is all well and good but someone from Vancouver or Montreal isn't going to be impressed. Someone visiting Winnipeg from Toronto or Calgary isn't going to think Polo Park is anything special. A Calgarian would probably like the exchange district as historical building aren't the norm out there. A Torontian would be amazed at a Jets game seeing a team that's in the playoffs.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Someone visiting Winnipeg from Toronto or Calgary isn't going to think Polo Park is anything special. A Calgarian would probably like the exchange district as historical building aren't the norm out there. A Torontian would be amazed at a Jets game seeing a team that's in the playoffs.

I see what you did there, and I like it. A lot.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They actually used to have a train that went to grand beach. A lady I work with said she used to take it as a kid.
Depends how old she is, really I mean, they used to have trains that went everywhere. Kenora was a huge train destination as well. I guess its dangerous and expensive. Too bad, it'd be nice to have. I know there's a train that goes on a different route.. The Prairie Dog Central train goes down to Warren, MB. And stops at Gross Isle where you can go to the (spooky) doll museum.

Still, it's too bad the PDC goes the opposite way from Grand Beach. If that was the final destination, they'd maybe have better ridership.

Quote:
Grand beach is another good one that isn't the norm fro every city.
The problem with Grand Beach for tourists is that you have to drive two hours to get there, which is a pain.

Hey, I just remembered, April is around the time the snake pits at narcisse are active! I love going there.

Last edited by Reed Solomon: 03-06-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added link to Prairie Dog Central website
Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:17 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post

Bananafest
hahahahahahahahaha

veganhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

It really depends what your after. One of the big things too look for is live music at night. THere are a number of venues and winnipeg is generally regarded as a very good "arts" city.

Again, that's going to depend a lot on your personal preferences in music, and if a bar/pub's an acceptable place to be.

For family fare, the exchange district can be nice to walk around and check out the shops (beautiful historic architecture, and a lot of good restaurants). The forks is nice as well, lots of shops and buskers.

What i do when i'm on holiday is i generally tend to drink as much as possible in the evenings and spend the days in a recovery haze filled with touristy locations, good food, and a lot of napping in parks.

If that's your thing your in luck, because i love living here so it must be good for it!

Grind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Depends how old she is, really I mean, they used to have trains that went everywhere. Kenora was a huge train destination as well. I guess its dangerous and expensive. Too bad, it'd be nice to have. I know there's a train that goes on a different route.. The Prairie Dog Central train goes down to Warren, MB. And stops at Gross Isle where you can go to the (spooky) doll museum.

Still, it's too bad the PDC goes the opposite way from Grand Beach. If that was the final destination, they'd maybe have better ridership.

The problem with Grand Beach for tourists is that you have to drive two hours to get there, which is a pain.

Hey, I just remembered, April is around the time the snake pits at narcisse are active! I love going there.
Narcisse is a good idea if you want to venture out of town...it's something pretty unique. Writhing balls of mating snakes - who isn't into that?!?

Also active in April: the Floodway. Shouldn't be too much to see this year, though.

Manitoba Museum is really good - the Nonsuch is very cool. They've freshened up some of the exhibits there recently, so definitely check it out if that's your bag.

The Zoo is a bit of a mess right now. It's going to be a while before that Polar Bear exhibit is done. The baby tigers are a big hit and might be worth the trip. Also, BEHOLD OUR CAPYBARAS AND DESPAIR! They're at the Toucan Ridge/Tropical House.

The Forks has the newly renovated Children's Museum, if you've got kids age 3-12. And if the river is high, that's a good place to take a look. Unfortunately, I don't think the water taxis or any of the riverboats are running in April.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Soble

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogistewart View Post

Bananafest
OMG does that still exist?!?!?! Wow, brings back the memories of turning 18 (back in the middle of Jets 1.0)...

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:42 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
I'm confused by the recommendations of Polo Park. It's a decent mall but there's nothing special about it. Most cities in North America would have a mall better than that. I also doubt that people from Halifax would come to Winnipeg to shop.

What is bananafest?

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Grand Beach is only about 45 minutes from the northern Winnipeg suburbs, one hour maybe due to traffic.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I'm confused by the recommendations of Polo Park. It's a decent mall but there's nothing special about it. Most cities in North America would have a mall better than that. I also doubt that people from Halifax would come to Winnipeg to shop.
In about three years time, Winnipeg will become a shopping destination given all the Development surrounding IKEA as well as that new outlet mall that is going to be built, something that will rival or even surpass Calgary for sure.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

The Red-Sided Garter Snakes mating sites around Narcisse is the single largest snake gathering site not in Manitoba, not in Canada but the entire world. It really is something to see, but be respectful to the animals as that is a sensitive time in their lives.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:02 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post

What is bananafest?
What shape is a banana? think dancers using them as props.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote