HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Halo 4

Old
03-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
EDGE magazine story: http://www.edge-online.com/news/halo-4-revealed

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:13 AM
DBU
Stars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
At first I was skeptical about a Halo 4, but damn... after watching all these videos and trailers and reading these articles, I am 100% excited by this.

Bring it on, 343.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:26 AM
AllAbout813

vCash: 500
Bringing back the BR is going to own hard.

I am pumped. Although I hope they ditched all the armour abilities except sprint.

I want to see a full gameplay footage, these teasers don't do it for me. #impatient

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:54 AM
Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAbout813 View Post
Bringing back the BR is going to own hard.

I am pumped. Although I hope they ditched all the armour abilities except sprint.

I want to see a full gameplay footage, these teasers don't do it for me. #impatient

BR with no AR would be the best.

03-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Frank O'connor: No perks. http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_post...No--Perks.aspx

Old
03-06-2012, 09:24 AM
FakeKidPoker*

woo no perks

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:39 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

They need to basically remake Halo 2 without copying Halo 2. It is the greatest game ever made.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:32 PM
AllAbout813

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
They need to basically remake Halo 2 without copying Halo 2. It is the greatest game ever made.
When you think about it H3 was very much like H2. The power ups around the maps I feel did not change the game all that much, and by 2 months in I think half of the playlists removed them all together. I think if they stick to the H2 H3 style, but use the updated Reach engine like they are going to, then it has potential to be a slam dunk. I think enough fans let them know that Reach is not what they were looking for, so hopefully they listen and go back to the roots.

AllAbout813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:05 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
some of the features that might be in this game it should be pretty awesome and I'm not a halo fan.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
FakeKidPoker*

a big part that made Halo 2 great was the community.

Everyone had mics, everyone talked... good teamwork from random strangers.

In game chat was dead with 360

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
a big part that made Halo 2 great was the community.

Everyone had mics, everyone talked... good teamwork from random strangers.

In game chat was dead with 360
Yeah that was at the same time a blessing and a curse. You didn't have to listen to annoying people or waste time muting them, on the other hand you couldn't trash talk with the opponents anymore. Though I always played with friends anyway.

Old
03-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

http://halo.xbox.com/blogs/Headlines...tin-30712.aspx

Quote:
The BR is a three-shot burst weapon. It is hitscan. In its current tuning, it has recoil (not bloom) which causes it to rise slightly (in a predictable and suppressible way). It is not a replacement for the DMR as has been discussed in the community. You will not see bloom as it currently exists in Vanilla Reach on any weapon, but there will be different methods for reticle targeting that vary depending on the weapon, and players will have a wide arsenal of weapons to choose from. More news about that later.

Old
04-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Slapshot_11

So did anyone see the new info from GI today?

I can honestly say I will not be buying 4 if this is true and I have played since CE

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
This is a supposed leaked screen of an article in GI''s overview of Halo 4.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=img005.jpg

If this is true I am not buying that disgrace they will be calling Halo.

*edit*

looks like the album is private now. Looking for the text version i saw earlier.

Quote:
So I just read the new Game Informer. I just wanted to tell you my take on some of the features they'll be adding or taking away. I won't explain the beginning of the story as I don't think I can do justice to accurately describing it. Of course, if you want to experience and don't want to have that experience spoiled then leave this page.

LAST WARNING, THIS CONTAINS SPOILERS (sorta)

Spartan Points

Spartan Points is the new currency system in Halo 4. They will buy things such as armor, armor abilities, Spartan Ops missions (see below), and some

Spartan Ops

This was probably my most favorite addition I saw. From how it was described, think fo Spartan Ops like Spec Ops from Modern Warfare but with a storyline. They will span out over several months, encouraging players to return to the game. Game Informer said that Spartan Ops will be comparable in scope and size to the in single-player storyline.

Why Reds Fight Blues

I think most of us probably guessed this, but reds fight blues and blues fight reds for training purposes. They fight in something called the UNSC Infinity. The UNSC Infinity is a 3km long ship sent into deep space on a mission. It contains a virtual reality sector that creates the multiplayer experience.

Sprint

So not only is sprint in the game, but it is a standard armor ability. You do not need to pick it up, it will always be available. You do not need to buy it with your Spartan Points, you will always have it equipped no matter what. So essentially, you can have two armor abilities.

Forerunner Vision

Ever wanted to be super man? Now you can! See through walls with your x-ray vision! I can't say I hate this armor ability, I haven't used it yet. I'm hoping it comes with its weaknesses and it discourages camping. Sorry guys, but camping in Halo 4 will not be a legitimate tactic.

Returning Armor Abilities

The hologram, jetpack, and active camo will make a return in Halo 4. It didn't elaborate on the abilities, but you can probably assume they'll be about the same.

Elites Not Returning to Multiplayer

Not much detail was given as to why elites will not see multiplayer combat, it was stated in a picture caption. The caption reads, "Competitive multiplayer focues on the Spartan IVs. Elites will not be playable.

Grenades

Now the article itself did not talk about grenades, but I noticed in the picture the Spartan had 4 grenade options. I assume the plasma grenade will return as seen from an explosion in the picture and the frag grenade will most definitely return as seen by the Halo 4 first look video.

Firefight

Once again, no explanation why aside from a picture caption. The caption read, "Halo 4's campaign is still playable with four players online (in reference to Sparan Ops, ensuring players that Spartan Ops will not replace the campaign coop experience). 343 Industries has no plans to include a dedicated Firefight mode. I'm torn on this, I don't normally play firefight, but I feel like it is a standard necessary feature in the game after Halo 3: ODST introduced it.

Regicide

Regicide is a variation of free for all. I think it's similar to VIP. Regicide, as stated by the article, "sets the leading scorer as the king. Every opponent that the king kills raises his bounty; other players have to kill the king to claim the reward."

Distraction and Revenge Medals

Don't feel bad anymore for not killing a single person in the game, you can get a medal for being a distraction! Oh, you just got killed and now you're raging at that player? Calm down and get rewarded for hunting down the guy that just killed you!

Let me make it clear that I do not necessarily see these medals as bad. They just may reward people that don't actually deserve one.

No More Weapon Camping

One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.

No More Respawn Delay

Immediately after you die, by tapping the X button you are sent back into the match. Now let's contemplate why this might be bad. Let's say Halo spawns are... not so great. A skilled player out BRs/DMRs/whatevers a unskilled player. Now that unskilled player can immediately respawn and find you before your shields even regenerate! I understand 343 is trying to speed up the game, but they must understand the consequences of instant spawns.

Joining In-Progress Games

So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.

Last edited by Buddio: 04-06-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
This is a supposed leaked screen of an article in GI''s overview of Halo 4.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=img005.jpg

If this is true I am not buying that disgrace they will be calling Halo.
Sounded good to me, I really don't see what the problem is?

Old
04-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Call of Halo: Modern Battlefield 4

Thats the problem

Old
04-06-2012, 10:24 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I was so pumped for Halo: Reach when it was announced. Then I learn't that Bungie seemingly forgot that all the Spartan II's on Reach existed, and opted instead to recton in a group of Spartan III's.

Bungie proved to me at this point how much they care about their own lore.

I don't think I'll be buying Halo 4.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:

What they are supposedly implementing is pretty much sticking with a Halo Reach feel (wish i myself don't like at all), and throwing a bunch of random **** from CoD.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:37 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Call of Halo: Modern Battlefield 4

Thats the problem
Traditional Halo simply wouldn't work today. It's a fact. Even though they gotten great scores, I've noticed reviewers e.g. in Finnish gaming media saying the series needs to adapt to "today's standards" in order to survive and not fall behind. Halo's biggest advantage to other series has been working matchmaking system, good level design, fun factor that the vehicles add. What they've lacked was running/sprinting, which wasn't as prevalent when the series debuted, adding it as a normal function was severely needed.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Unholy

If they went back to Halo 2 style and went away from the Reach style mixed in with this COD crap it would be back to being a juggernaut. I didn't play Reach for long and I guess after this I won't be dusting off my 360 anytime soon.

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy;47451541[B
]If they went back to Halo 2 style[/B] and went away from the Reach style mixed in with this COD crap it would be back to being a juggernaut. I didn't play Reach for long and I guess after this I won't be dusting off my 360 anytime soon.
Define "Halo 2 style".

Old
04-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Buddio
CFC

Quote:
Define "Halo 2 style".
No loadouts, no stupid perk or armor ability ****.

And some actual good/memorable maps. I can still probably name every Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer map off the top of my head, but I wouldn't be able to name any of the Reach maps even with a picture.

Also the "credits" you earn are really lame. Halo 3 got it right when you needed to do certain achievements to unlock gear. In Reach it felt like a really lame grind to get cool/unique armor, I'm playing a laid back FPS not an MMO.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddio View Post
No loadouts, no stupid perk or armor ability ****.

And some actual good/memorable maps. I can still probably name every Halo 2 and 3 multiplayer map off the top of my head, but I wouldn't be able to name any of the Reach maps even with a picture.

Also the "credits" you earn are really lame. Halo 3 got it right when you needed to do certain achievements to unlock gear. In Reach it felt like a really lame grind to get cool/unique armor, I'm playing a laid back FPS not an MMO.
Granted that would be difficult now because there's so many Forge World variables to choose from these days. Whenever I play with some friends, almost every time there's at least one new map variation that I've never played. I've liked the new variations so far. That is definitely one advantage this series has over CoD or Battlefield: numerous map edits at Forge World. I personally don't care much about armor upgrades etc. but as CoD has proven, you need to have the cheese cubes for the "lab rats" to collect to keep their interest. Whether you like it or not, if you want to keep the players interested in a FPS these days, those kinds of things are basically a must.

Quote:
No More Weapon Camping

One the skills that separated veteran players from inexperienced players was the ability to time power weapons' spawns. In Halo 4, this will be near impossible. Weapons drop down in drop pods at random locations around the map. Quoted from the article, "This gives the matches other focal points, and it also helps alleviate the advantage longtime players always used to have over newer recruits; the best weapons are not always going to be found at the same spawn locations." Unless there is a distinguishable skill gap between players, I most definitely do not like this idea.
This is an addition I welcome fully.

Quote:
Joining In-Progress Games

So to solve the quitting problem, 343 implemented the ability to join games that are in-progress. My question is are we going to have the ability to search for games starting up instead? It infuriates me to join a game at the last possible second, not even offering me the chance to play.
As is this. Though I do think there should be certain time limit where you can no longer join a game, e.g. last minute.

Old
04-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:

This is an addition I welcome fully.

As is this. Though I do think there should be certain time limit where you can no longer join a game, e.g. last minute.

How is random weapon drops a welcomed addition? Its punishing good players and making the game totally random. This is an absolutely terrible idea

Sounds good until you join a game with 5 mins left and your team losing badly and then your w/l ratio has to suffer. If I join a game already in progress and the game is over before I even begin then thats a waste of my time and im just gonna quit the match

Old
04-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Static

Send a message via AIM to Static
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
How is random weapon drops a welcomed addition? Its punishing good players and making the game totally random. This is an absolutely terrible idea

Sounds good until you join a game with 5 mins left and your team losing badly and then your w/l ratio has to suffer. If I join a game already in progress and the game is over before I even begin then thats a waste of my time and im just gonna quit the match

It rewards players for having simply logged more time. The better players will usually kill the others with inferior weapons anyway.

Static is offline   Reply With Quote