HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Cizikas Shows Promise After Call-up

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-05-2012, 02:19 PM
  #26
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,293
vCash: 500
What I love about CC is he just never quits, never stops, never gives up. And that is VERY difficult to play against. He might be a Callahan type, but he also reminds me of Butchie Goring too. I'll never forget looking at my yearbook from 1980-81, there is a picture of Butchie hounding Bobby Clarke on the penalty kill, and this exasperated, exhausted look on Clarke's face. If CC can be that type of center that just hounds people on the forcheck, and just frustrates them because he's tough to get away from, and tough to get the puck from, I'd be thrilled. That video makes me think of Butchie on the penalty kill. Though CC is definately way tougher and would drop the gloves.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:29 PM
  #27
TheBoss22
Registered User
 
TheBoss22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
What I love about CC is he just never quits, never stops, never gives up.
Kind of like this guy?


TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:37 PM
  #28
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Cizikas has definitely impressed me so far. He looks like he belongs in the NHL. He was pretty touted coming into Juniors and he fell in his draft year because of his unfortunate incident. I think we got a steal in him.
As a 4th round pick, it was robbery. I think CC will be the Islanders #2 center next year after Tavares. When Strome arrives he may end up as the #3 for a long, long time. I think this kid will have a very good career and play a big role in the Islanders resurgence.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 02:54 PM
  #29
isles31
Poster Excellont
 
isles31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LI
Country: United States
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
As a 4th round pick, it was robbery. I think CC will be the Islanders #2 center next year after Tavares. When Strome arrives he may end up as the #3 for a long, long time. I think this kid will have a very good career and play a big role in the Islanders resurgence.

If he's the #2 next year ill be pretty happy. Bailey will have either been moved to wing or part of a deal for a dman. I'd rather the 1st happen bc I think JB has shown he is much more comfortable there. Also, it slots Franzie(I know its frans but it doesn't look right with an S) as the #3 center, which is where he is best suited. Cizikas is a steal, and there's no doubt he's got the talent to play in the NHL already, its just a matter of which line. He's smallish, but he's like a pitbull. I liken him to Theo Fleury bc of their size and tenacity(we can only hope he scores the way theo did). I love the fact he doesn't give up on a play and gets in your face. Dibo is a lot like that too, but Casey clearly has more ability with the puck

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:41 PM
  #30
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
As a 4th round pick, it was robbery. I think CC will be the Islanders #2 center next year after Tavares. When Strome arrives he may end up as the #3 for a long, long time. I think this kid will have a very good career and play a big role in the Islanders resurgence.
LAI you keep preaching that CC should be the 2C next year, I agree he may have the smarts and drive but the size concerns me. I really think we need a legit 2C. I would move Bailey to wing permanently and make CC 3C/4C for next year AT MOST.

I for one am for over-ripening our prospects, I would like to see CC in the AHL for one more full year, Ullstrom is NHL ready as he played a year against men in Sweden.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
  #31
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs
 
It Was 4 to 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: #FireCapuano
Country: United States
Posts: 1,809
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
"Not helping in the size department"

Sports fans are obsessed with size
bring back kvasha and yashin

It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  #32
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpOceanless View Post
bring back kvasha and yashin
How bout Milbury's redwood defense while we're at it.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:08 PM
  #33
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
All have some good size? Really? Really? Really?

Rangers, Red Wings, Chicago, Pheonix, ect. all feature players around our size as their primary go to guys. Hell, Patty Kane would be the smallest player on our roster.

Size is a myth that GM's figured out after all their big boys busted. Brian Burke tried building aorund size, it wasn't until he started bringing in some skill that his team got any good. Unfortunately they still have too many big slow unskilled d-men. Brian ****ing Burke doesn't believe in size and truculence as being the primary attributes anymore. Brian Burke.
REALLY!
Size is not just height. And some guys play much bigger than their size. Players like Grabner, Reasoner, Nielson (yes Nielson), AMac (yes Amac), Streit, Bailey, and Okposo play to their size or smaller (and some can be intimadated in tough games). Not writing that you have to have a team of 6' 4" giants as the above mentioned can be very useful and good players in their roles. But why do you think teams like Boston and Philly have pushed around the Islanders for so many years. Whey do you think the Islanders dynasty almost never took off until they stood toe to toe with the big bad Boston Bruins? We can agree to disagree but you cannot teach size and toughness and this group does not have it. Cizikas is someone who plays bigger than his size but you still need size on your team. Sorry. But like a college professor used to tell us, "you are entitled to your opinion however wrong you may be."

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:50 PM
  #34
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,496
vCash: 500
Hate to say it, but look at the Rangers bottom 6 group.

Rupp, Boyle, Prust. Those three on our team would do wonders for the rest of the forwards.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
  #35
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Hate to say it, but look at the Rangers bottom 6 group.

Rupp, Boyle, Prust. Those three on our team would do wonders for the rest of the forwards.
Somehow I don't think the problems that plague this team are the players that it rolls out on its 4th line.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:20 PM
  #36
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
REALLY!
Size is not just height. And some guys play much bigger than their size. Players like Grabner, Reasoner, Nielson (yes Nielson), AMac (yes Amac), Streit, Bailey, and Okposo play to their size or smaller (and some can be intimadated in tough games). Not writing that you have to have a team of 6' 4" giants as the above mentioned can be very useful and good players in their roles. But why do you think teams like Boston and Philly have pushed around the Islanders for so many years. Whey do you think the Islanders dynasty almost never took off until they stood toe to toe with the big bad Boston Bruins? We can agree to disagree but you cannot teach size and toughness and this group does not have it. Cizikas is someone who plays bigger than his size but you still need size on your team. Sorry. But like a college professor used to tell us, "you are entitled to your opinion however wrong you may be."
Only big sweaty masculine men with rugged facial hair are good hockey players. They must be good at punching people and looking mean. Skill? We can teach a Gillies to score. But can we teach a Moulson to hit?

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
  #37
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders
 
PROMputt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: East Islip, LI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Only big sweaty masculine men with rugged facial hair are good hockey players. They must be good at punching people and looking mean. Skill? We can teach a Gillies to score. But can we teach a Moulson to hit?
This is what you got from what I wrote? Witty but irrelevant. I guess reading is really fundamental...
One last thing. If you think this team is prepared to battle through a playoff series against some of the top teams in the east then I must laugh. They are an OK regular season team but not a very well constructed playoff team. And no I do not even think they are good enough at this point to be a playoff team but as a fan I will root for them to make it.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:20 PM
  #38
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
This is what you got from what I wrote? Witty but irrelevant. I guess reading is really fundamental...
One last thing. If you think this team is prepared to battle through a playoff series against some of the top teams in the east then I must laugh. They are an OK regular season team but not a very well constructed playoff team. And no I do not even think they are good enough at this point to be a playoff team but as a fan I will root for them to make it.
I'd like to see them make it before I worry about how they'll handle a playoff series. They have zero skill and mobility from three out of there top 6 guys. Thats simply unnaceptable in the regular season. Islanders aren't losing games on their size/physicality, there losing them from three d-men who can't chase down pucks, who can't move the puck when they do get it, and and who are liabilities on the point for oddman break against do to poor footspeed. Rangers top guys aren't physical save Callahan. Chicago's top guys aren't exactly snarly players. Unless your a cab driver. Bottom line is that the Isles aren't struggling to stay at .500 because they aren't big/tough. They just don't have enough skill on the backend to generate offense for the skilled guys up front. Our transition game is too reliant on the forwards diging it out deep. Other teams can let their wingers spring forward, we can't cause they need to cover for slow dudes.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 10:24 PM
  #39
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Hate to say it, but look at the Rangers bottom 6 group.

Rupp, Boyle, Prust. Those three on our team would do wonders for the rest of the forwards.

So would having Lundqvist and their entire defense.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
  #40
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
LAI you keep preaching that CC should be the 2C next year, I agree he may have the smarts and drive but the size concerns me. I really think we need a legit 2C. I would move Bailey to wing permanently and make CC 3C/4C for next year AT MOST.

I for one am for over-ripening our prospects, I would like to see CC in the AHL for one more full year, Ullstrom is NHL ready as he played a year against men in Sweden.
I think CC plays bigger then his size and he's better suited for 2nd line center then Franzie is. isles31 has it exactly right. Bailey moves to wing and Franzie becomes 3rd line center. My sense is that CC will eventually be moved to 3rd line center when Strome make the Islanders (hopefully in 2 years), and Franzie will be the 4th line center. At that point, the Islanders should have enough depth on offense that the 4th line will not be a detriment.

Which brings me back to the pleading I've been doing on the draft post. The Islanders need to draft a defensemen this year!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
  #41
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge
 
enigmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
i personally feel next year ullstrom, cizikas and martin could fill out a solid third line for us

i would trade one of KO//Niederreiter and the first if we can get a legit 1st line winger:

That way we can have

Winger-JT-MM
PA-Frans-KO/JB/NN
Ullstrom-Bailey-Grabner
FA/Cizikas/Martin

Then we should 1 top-4 (even though we really need 2)

FA-Hamonic
Streit-Amac
Jurcina-Reese

Defense is still average at best but i feel that 1 legit top 4 makes our defense so much better--i personally don't think Reese is half bad..

If we can sign Nabokov of a year or two (and hopefully PA) I think with these few moves we will be a playoff game

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:40 PM
  #42
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,745
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatic View Post
i personally feel next year ullstrom, cizikas and martin could fill out a solid third line for us

i would trade one of KO//Niederreiter and the first if we can get a legit 1st line winger:

That way we can have

Winger-JT-MM
PA-Frans-KO/JB/NN
Ullstrom-Bailey-Grabner
FA/Cizikas/Martin

Then we should 1 top-4 (even though we really need 2)

FA-Hamonic
Streit-Amac
Jurcina-Reese

Defense is still average at best but i feel that 1 legit top 4 makes our defense so much better--i personally don't think Reese is half bad..

If we can sign Nabokov of a year or two (and hopefully PA) I think with these few moves we will be a playoff game
Your assessment of the defense is right on. I think if the Islanders can sign a top 4 defensemen, resign Jurcina and either Ness, Donovan or DeHaan can make the team, the defense will be good enough to make a legit playoff push.

I don't think the Islanders should trade Okposo or Nino. I think Okposo's a solid 3rd liner with the right linemates. I also think you can't give up on Nino just yet. He's only 19 years old. Check back when he's 22 or 23 years old, and I think you'd regret trading him.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cappy experiment a little with the lines in the offseason. I think a player like Moulson would still score goals playing on the 2nd line. I'd like to see JT playing with 2 completely different wingers next year. He needs a grinder to do some of the work behind the net so he's not the guy getting the beating every night. A big guy like Ullstrom would be interesting, maybe even Nino.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:43 AM
  #43
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
So would having Lundqvist and their entire defense.
This.

Girardi, Del Zotto, Staal, McDonaugh, Stralman. 5 guys who can all skate and move the puck.

But surely its their fourth line.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:33 AM
  #44
Riddick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
At this point I think czikas had proven he belongs, I thank him and say 'see you next season, get ready for the nhl' and get him to bridgeport for their playoffs.

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:50 AM
  #45
desmond
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Cizikas and Ullstrom are on Soundtigers clear day roster. They are definitely going back to AHL.

desmond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:55 AM
  #46
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares
 
Kevin27nyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Cizikas and Ullstrom are on Soundtigers clear day roster. They are definitely going back to AHL.
I don't think that's a guarantee, it may just mean they can play in the playoffs.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.