HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs playing in World Championships

Old
03-05-2012, 07:49 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
Well we all know the Habs are not making the playoffs. What players can we expect will go to the Worlds in mid May?

My list:

Canada: Price, Subban
USA: Pacioretty, Cole?
Switzerland: Weber, Diaz
Czech Republic: Plekanec, Kaberle?
Denmark: Eller
Slovakia: Budaj
Canada: Price, Subban, DD and Gorges.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:48 PM
McSorleyStick
DEFLATE THIS!

What about Yakupov ?

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
why is that?
If he played 10 games with the habs and is 100% healthy?
Do I really need to explain that? Really?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
LyricalLyricist

I'd be thrilled if DD made it. I think our young players would benefit from the experience.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:12 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Wonder if Sweden will consider Engqvist, he's played in the WC's before.
Very unlikely.
Swedes shutteling between NHL and AHL rarely get serious consideration, and they rarely bring unsigned players due to expensive insurances. Engqvist could very well be signed when preparations begin and might be invited, but i dont see him making the team this year.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Very unlikely.
Swedes shutteling between NHL and AHL rarely get serious consideration, and they rarely bring unsigned players due to expensive insurances. Engqvist could very well be signed when preparations begin and might be invited, but i dont see him making the team this year.
The only reason he has somewhat of a chance is because of his involvement with the team in 2010 - and stat-wise, he had a solid tournament for a bottom-6 player. Not sure how he actually looked during the games as I wasn't paying attention to him back then.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:10 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
The only reason he has somewhat of a chance is because of his involvement with the team in 2010 - and stat-wise, he had a solid tournament for a bottom-6 player. Not sure how he actually looked during the games as I wasn't paying attention to him back then.
I doubt anyone pays attention to that when picking the team this year and the national team is ran by other personell now. By the time he came off of a very strong season in the SEL which ended on a OT goal in game 6 of the SEL finals.

As I recall he worked hard but it took a few games before he settled in and got the results. The swedish team in 2010 was considered one of the weakest in many years but played well and overachieved in the end. It was a pretty fun team to watch!

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:36 AM
stubbadub

If Price doesn't sign his new contract by the beginning of the tournament, this could potentially be a great way for him to get an even bigger raise from the Habs. If Subban is invited, the same thing goes for him. The more you prove, the more you make, and Price (though not this year [not entirely his fault]) has proven to be entirely reliable. It's a win/win for him. Bigger paycheque and prospect training for the Olympics.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:04 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I would bet that ONE of the reasons why Markov really wants to come back this year with us is to have the legimate to go at the Worlds. Do people seriously imagine that you wouldn't have Markov at all, people keep suggesting for him to take a year off so he'd come back stronger next year but then he goes at the Worlds?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:26 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would bet that ONE of the reasons why Markov really wants to come back this year with us is to have the legimate to go at the Worlds. Do people seriously imagine that you wouldn't have Markov at all, people keep suggesting for him to take a year off so he'd come back stronger next year but then he goes at the Worlds?
I bet the main reason Markov really wants to come back this year is because he has played 7 games in the last two seasons and wants to play.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Beakermania*

scott gomez usa

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
I bet the main reason Markov really wants to come back this year is because he has played 7 games in the last two seasons and wants to play.
100% agreed.

Even when I played all-star baseball in the summers back when I was younger - and we played 2-3 games a week plus tournaments on the weekends, I hated waiting for that next game. I can't imagine what Markov must be going through if he truly loves playing hockey. 7 games in 2-years? I would be super depressed and probably have given up on rehab by now.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Definitely in the back of his mind, I have absolutely no doubt. And I don't blame him knowing how important it is for European players to represent their country.

Having said that, it would be shocking to see the Habs allowing him to participate as they have over 17 million reasons to deny him that privilege. Much preferable to have him play in an environment controlled by the team (ice time, game situation), and around team doctors' supervision.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
scott gomez usa
Gomez? Knowing USA Hockey, there are so many players who refuse that it could become a reality.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
I'm looking forward to see Eller in the Danish jersey again. Lars will be the teams number 1 centerman and get good experience yet again!
Lars will definately be behind Frans Nielsen but he will get a lot of ice time and responsibility.

Quote:
The world championship is a ****ing joke and canadians know it that's why so many of them skip it. Europeans on the other hand can't wait to get into it because they know we don't take it seriously and it gives them a legitimate chance to win.
Hahaha jesus christ what a stupid post. You're a clueless ignorant, buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Emelin wasn't invited. He left a career in Russia, as an adult, to play in North America. I think that's more of a shot to Russian hockey than a 17 year old coming over here to play. I bet they're offended by his gesture and wouldn't invite him.

That's just my interpretation though.
Do you have anything to back up your interpretation? To me it sounds like pure fantasy and unwarranted Russia bashing.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
The world championship is a ****ing joke and canadians know it that's why so many of them skip it. Europeans on the other hand can't wait to get into it because they know we don't take it seriously and it gives them a legitimate chance to win.
The only reason I could think of as to why the WC is a joke from a Canadian standpoint is because so many Canadians take Olympic qualification for granted, while countries who put a lot of effort in the WC usually don't take Olympic qualification for granted.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
No ****. Yet, the subject is obviously about the Worlds and the fact that some think he might not go, might refused, Habs would not let him go etc.

And frankly, I couldn't care less if he goes or not. If he has to injure himself, it could be at that event or with us later this year. Which in the end, the sooner we know his knee holds or not, the better it is.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
scott gomez usa
He could center Cole and Patches

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

If he can play, and gets invited, then I don't see why not.
If he gets injured there, then he'll get injured and his career will likely end. If it's a minor injury, then who cares, he'll be over it by camp.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If he can play, and gets invited, then I don't see why not.
If he gets injured there, then he'll get injured and his career will likely end. If it's a minor injury, then who cares, he'll be over it by camp.
Again, we better know now and TRY to address the situation of our D without Markov in the summer than count on him again and have to deal with it IN the season.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:16 PM
fatmax

Quote:
Again, we better know now and TRY to address the situation of our D without Markov in the summer than count on him again and have to deal with it IN the season.
I agree, I don't mind if Markov plays in the world championship, he he gets seriously injured, as you said it, we will know soon enough to adress the situation during the summer!

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 825
I'd love for Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Plekanec and/or Eller to go. I'd hate for Markov to go and get injured. I really hope he doesn't go even if he's playing on the team by the end of the year.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
KareyPrice

I was looking forward to hopefully seeing price and after watching the Yzerman interview on tsn last night if anything turning down an invite could hurt prices chances more then actually going im hoping to see suban and price for canada

KareyPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:59 PM
VL55

It would be great this year if Markov was to play for Russia in the world championship.

1 - It would help get him back in game shape, he will really need it. After such a tournament, one could hope he'll be sharp and ready for the next season.

2 - Test run for the knee. If his knee doesn't holdup during the tournament, it would not have held up during the 2012-13 season anyway. We might as well learn it early and plan accordingly. If it holds up, we'll know we'll be able to rely on him. Either way, it could save us a Campoli.

Of course, the down side is all the crap the irrational people, which include a lot of media folk, would spew on the subject. It would to be putrid.

VL55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
He could center Cole and Patches
Gomez will play 3-4C in most likelihood. He sucked in the NHL but, if both Cole and Pacioretty accept they'll play on the first or second line.