HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Someone wants to fight me

Old
03-06-2012, 11:49 AM
takehisheadoff

vCash: 500
I assume you are wearing a cage which makes fighting lame. Its like guys that are 30 and fight in beer league. Shake your gloves at him if your team is down let him come after you and turtle. Sure you might look like a sissy but your the captain you helped your team get a 5 minute power play. Fighting with a full cage just makes people look like idiots.

takehisheadoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:10 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by takehisheadoff View Post
I assume you are wearing a cage which makes fighting lame. Its like guys that are 30 and fight in beer league. Shake your gloves at him if your team is down let him come after you and turtle. Sure you might look like a sissy but your the captain you helped your team get a 5 minute power play. Fighting with a full cage just makes people look like idiots.
Don't do this. For the love of God, do not do this.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:58 PM
WithOutPaperss

You don't always have to fight. Who cares if you get chirped, happens when you are a top player. I'm 5'7, and was one of the better players on my team, I'd always have someone come after me, but just don't take any **** and do your thing. Obviously I'd get killed by most bigger players, but why fight when it's not your thing?

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Don't do this. For the love of God, do not do this.
Yeah, don't turtle. What I did once though is told someone 'Let's go'

He dropped his gloves and I skated away...made him look like a moron, but then again I don't recommend it...I'm an agitator most of the time so it was just something funny to do.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I'm going to ignore the discussion about your talent level vs. his and focus on what I see as the principal issue:

You're in a league that does not allow fighting, and you have some beer-league hero challenging you to fight. And by not doing so, he calls you a *****.

As 1st Grade as this sounds, just ignore him. Beer league scraps are simply not worth it. Continue to beat him on the scoreboard, drive him nuts that way. If he continues to lose his temper, he will eventually run out of rope with the league and get suspended and/or banned. If his threats start to carry over off the ice, report it to both the league and the police.

Giving him what he wants (i.e.--the chance to beat your face in and potentially severely injure you in the process, while also hurting your team as you would receive a suspension) doesn't serve anyone any good.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
Yeah, don't turtle. What I did once though is told someone 'Let's go'

He dropped his gloves and I skated away...made him look like a moron, but then again I don't recommend it...I'm an agitator most of the time so it was just something funny to do.
Steve Ott is that you?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
This probably isn't the answer you want to hear, but it might help to pull the ref aside during warmups and let him know about it. Don't make a big production of it, but just mention that the guy has had it out for you the last couple of games and you'd appreciate it if he kept an eye out. Typically the ref will want to keep that stuff under control, so the guy will be on a short leash for penalties.
My thoughts exactly.

In football, there's usually a quick meeting on each side between the officials and the head coach before the game. The head coach will usually have to declare if anyone is wearing a cast (so the padding can be inspected and the player can be warned about using it as a weapon), if there is any chance of using a trick play and when or from what formation it might be used, that type of thing.

But most important is that it's also a time to give a heads-up to the officials if there's an opposing player who takes liberties. It might be as simple as "#65 holds a lot if he gets beaten in pass protection", but it's a great time to have them keep an eye on someone who goes beyond that. "#4 grabs the facemask in close", "#26 twists ankles and fingers in piles", that type of thing.

I don't think that an official in hockey would have an issue with being warned before a game that there have been issues previously. He wants to keep the game in control and avoid issues as much as anyone.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
vapor11

If you are one of the skilled players being a target is just something you have to deal with..Just play your game and ignore them..dont talk smack...take the cheap hits like a man..keep your emotions intact..you can't let them know they are getting under your skin..dont complain to the refs or coaches..I know its hard at 15 but just keep your cool and let your game do the talking

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Loyal2TheOil

being a skilled player, this is something you're going to have to get used to. you don't have to worry about fighting this guy, and forget about all the "reputation" and the chirps. no matter what you do, someone is going to have something to say. that's just how it is in hockey. use this situation as an example and keep going with it. the one thing you have to remember is, you're play completely threw this guy off his game. instead of focusing on winning the game, all this guy can think about is fighting you because you've embarrassed him countless times already.

most of the chirps like "i'm gonna kill you" or "im gonna knock you out" are empty threats. like you said, its house-league and non-contact and no fighting. don't worry about what this guy or his teammates say. if this guy is taking runs at you or seriously trying to injure you and the ref doesn't notice, as a the team captain go have a word with the ref, or get the coach to do it on your behalf.

best thing to do is keep playing the way you are, and if anyone chirps you just chirp them back. most of the guys that talk about fighting or chirp all game will completely shut up if you hit them back with a good chirp. whatever you do, do not feel like you have to fight him..you're just dropping down to his level and that's exactly what he wants you to do.

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:00 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
if you're putting numbers on the scoreboard, why care about being chirped? especially if your league doesn't allow fighting.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:11 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Going with him is definitely an option on this caveat:

- it always hurts more the next morning.

I been in a good few scraps in my younger days either playing hockey or lacrosse or on the "street".

It's rarely as bad as it seems once its over. You may get a few bruises/broken nose but it's not really a huge deal.

Having said that if you get suspended for fighting etc it may not be worth it then.

Once you've stood up to him chances are he will back down especially if you surprise the loudmouth by beating his ass.

He senses your fear and is leveraging that against you. He's taking cheapshots against you because he knows you won't do anything.

Standing up to him is maybe all you'll need to do.

As an example when I played Intermediate A lacrosse we had just finished a spirited game against a team I hated because they were such **** talkers.

When the game was over the respective teams were leaving one at a time through the gate I decided to hang back after my team left and walked in between the other team.

3 guys behind me were talking loud enough for me to hear saying "let's dummy this guy" etc etc.

So I turned around and said "ok let's go".

They immediately said "wait well get our goalie" who was their biggest guy.

More chirping ensued and that's all. But they didn't **** with me after that.

Or you could take a page our of Pavel Bures book and YouTube Bures elbow on Churla. Churla had been excessively cheapshotting him kinda like how you story sounds. Bure elbowed the **** out of Churla. Cheap yes but Churla never ****ed with him again.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:17 AM
SauceHockey
Retired

There is contact in our league

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Erz8771

Your 15. You shouldnt be fighting. Just ignore him and keep filling the net.

Erz8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

He's just chirping, you can engage him or just ignore it.

Winning > Being labeled a "pseudo tough guy"

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
OkimLom

Who cares what people think? If you're winning and you're respectful towards other players, your "rep" won't be affected. Just let him go around the ice like a monkey trying to fight you and let the refs watch.

Just because you talk to the refs doesn't mean you're whining to the refs. If you go to the refs and tell them that they need to keep an eye on the guy for the others safety, I'm sure the ref will.

I'm captain of my team and because I'm respectful and usually playing for the love of the game, I have the opposition skating up to me and asking me to talk to my teammates because they didn't like the dirty plays they were doing. So I benched the one kid for a few shifts and told him why and he understood. Next shift, he went out and apologized to the guy, and later on when he got hit pretty hard and had trouble moving. So the guy that complained to me helped him up and made sure he was okay.

Play the game with respect and you will be respected...Don't worry about the chirps

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdwe1 View Post
There is contact in our league
Then this is even more reason for him to man the heck up. Hitting is allowed, fighting is not. If he's got such an issue with you cleanly hitting him, then he can wait for his opening and get you back with a clean hit.

You are under no obligation to fight if you are doing everything within the rules. If other guys want to chirp you for not fighting (in a no fighting league), ignore them and then score on them. That's where it stings them the most.

And as the above poster said, talking to the refs does not equate to whining. I'm the league administrator for the league I play in and I'm on a first name basis with all of them, as are most of the other team captains. If you tell them something calmly or give them a heads up before or after a game, they will listen to you more often than not. Just don't start going nuts if they miss a call mid-game - they're likely to get angry at that.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:51 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Steve Ott is that you?
Yes

Old
03-08-2012, 12:07 AM
ProV1

OP said,
"Yesterday we played them again, before the game he called me ******** and that if I hit him he would kill me. Early in the game I hit him to konck him off the puck. A little later I had the puck he rammed me into the boards and then put his stick around my neck for about 2 seconds. I may be exaggerating or just plained bias but I was convinced that he did that on purpose."

This is not acceptable behavior by a 15 yr. old. The bigger kid is basically being a bully. Bullies feel better about themselves when they can pick on others. What you need to do is tell everybody you know what this other boy is saying now. Someone you know will help you with this issue. eg, Your Father. Your Coach, A Teacher. Your Teammates. The Refs.

I know it's hockey and it's a tough sport, but at 15 this behavior needs to stop. Threats of physical harm may be just threats until someone get shoved into the boards head first. Someone will listen to you. You need to keep reaching out and find that person. Meanwhile, respect the game and your opponents. Lead by example and keep tickling the twine.

ProV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Fake dropping the gloves and than skate away when he's over eager to fight you. Or just chirp him ALL game long and ignore whatever he does to you. As long as you don't retaliate he'll get called for anything he does and if he actually is stupid enough to try to inflict a serious injury on you, he'll be banned from the rink, most likely.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 04:28 AM
Brunomics

Make sure when your against him to cream him(cleanly) and just keep playing the way you are. He's doing that because he's a frustrated little ***** and you made him look stupid. If you don't want to fight and he starts just skate away because he'll end up putting his team down.

If you want to fight him eventually, have someone you know teach you how to fight. It's not who's stronger but who has better balance on their skates.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Make sure when your against him to cream him(cleanly) and just keep playing the way you are. He's doing that because he's a frustrated little ***** and you made him look stupid. If you don't want to fight and he starts just skate away because he'll end up putting his team down.

If you want to fight him eventually, have someone you know teach you how to fight. It's not who's stronger but who has better balance on their skates.
This. I know people saying "you're 15, you shouldn't be fighting" are usually right, but it's hockey. If he keeps coming at you and you wanna have one dance, it's not a big deal. It's not like you're starting a genuine fight; it's going to last all of 30 seconds, in front of a bunch of people, and be broken up by adult refs. It's not about whose stronger, as the above poster said, so grab on, get a wide stance, defend your face and just try to pull him off balance. You can always throw a couple of jabs with the hand that's holding his jersey, all while keeping your other hand in front of your face. But definitely DON'T let some loser intimidate you or make you feel worried that he's going to come after you. You said he's a life-time house leaguer. That means he's a total scrub with an over inflated sense of self worth going after a smaller, more skilled player because he got embarrassed/had to doubt his own skill because he was out played.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Gibbs18

If I was you, I would hit him as much as possible just to piss him off and get in his head

Gibbs18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Playerwinner

I would really advice against it as its likely he will have taped the straps on his helmet, which makes it a lose-lose situation for you since he is bigger and stronger. At any age punching a mask or a hard plastic shelled helmet can break wrists, knuckles, hand, and fingers, not to mention possibly breaking a nose or losing a tooth. Its also unlikely the ref will let the fight commence meaning you get suckered into a stupid penalty. If the guy is going after you count on your teammates. There is nothing to gain from it say you do fight the guy what happens when you play them next, they will just try to sucker you into it again and now your team is missing there highest scorer. If the guy wants to be stupid let him take penalties.

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:45 PM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

I may be new here, but I'll pass on some advice.

Ignore him. He's obviously a flake who can't produce. Just play your game the way you play it, and let him be a dink.

I'm a pest, I'll admit it, but there's a time when you start going from being a pest to being a *****, and he's obviously passed that point. If he can't take a hit, he should probably quit the game while he has most of his teeth and knees left.

And for you, you do not wanna fight. I did for 2 years in the juniors, and I'll tell you it's not all it's talked up to be. My jaw's crooked, I have a hard time eating anything harder than an M&M, my eyes are slightly unaligned and it's no fun having to pop 2 or 3 advil before after a fight so my hands can close around a stick.

So in short, ignore him; he's a ****.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2012, 12:16 AM
VerySuperFamous

some kids I know in house brag of bench brawls

If there's no fighting I'd upset him as much as possible be a pest to him. If you're on of you're teams best players unless you're a worse than him they'd have your back. Tell your team beforehand so they atleast have an idea what's going on.

That could go badly though. If he decides to do a Bertuzzi but I doubt it. Refs might work if you're scared of him.

VerySuperFamous is offline   Reply With Quote