HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcel Dionne says "Kopitar needs to make a decision"

Old
03-06-2012, 01:10 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
It seems to me like you are the only one coming in here and blowing peoples reactions out of proportion.

I see no one being as drastic as you claim, saying to trade Kopitar for a 2nd line wing and a prospect.

Realistically I see people like me, who love Kopitar and want to keep him for a long long time, but want him to be the player he truly can be. The one who can take over a game and be a 90-100 point player on a consistent basis.

You're acting like people are out of control in this thread when in reality you are the one overreacting.
Stop blowing what I say out of proportion.

And my reference to the 2nd line winger, prospect, and pick was obviously hyperbole. K17 mentioned Pominville, Adam and a 1st.

But overall, yes I do think people our overreacting to his comments, and his recent mediocre play. There's nothing negative to pull out of his comments yet some how he's "deflecting to the team." Yeah right.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:19 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

Those quotes by Anze are good to read. You can see how steep the learning curve for guys like he and Brown this season. I am still on the side of giving these guys some time to grow into the players we hope they'll be, and give us the type of Kings team we all want.

And I hate the comparisons between Anze and other players. He isn't Malkin or Datsuyk or the Sedins. He's Anze Kopitar. And most teams in the league would kill to have him on the roster. But because he isn't a top 5 center in this league at the age of 24, then some Kings fans think that he is finished developing and this is the player the Kings are going to have for the rest of his career.

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:34 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

For all the bashing DL gets here on this board, perhaps our core of Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty just really hasn't taken that new step in becoming the elite team everyone and their Mom predicted they should be...

The trade deadline really woke up Dustin Brown.

Doughty is still out in La La Land.

Jack Johnson had to be shipped out for a scorer.

Maybe this is Kopitar's wake up call?
(minus the Simpsons slippers)

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
For all the bashing DL gets here on this board, perhaps our core of Kopitar, Brown, and Doughty just really hasn't taken that new step in becoming the elite team everyone and their Mom predicted they should be...

The trade deadline really woke up Dustin Brown.

Doughty is still out in La La Land.

Jack Johnson had to be shipped out for a scorer.

Maybe this is Kopitar's wake up call?(minus the Simpsons slippers)
I think it is. The clock isn't ticking on Doughty yet, but it will be very soon.

Teams don't like paying $7M to defensemen that put up numbers like 10-25-35, which seems to be about where Drew will end up this season. He needs to be much better next year. You know prepare like he did for the Olympics in 2008, errr I meant the Kings' season in 2008. Oh wait, maybe we're in luck next season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Meh, Doughty is a few years younger than the others and playing arguably the toughest position in the NHL against the other teams' best they have to offer. Given the typical development curve for young NHL defensemen, I'm not really worried about Doughty. He's probably going to be significantly overpaid for another couple of years, but I suspect by the end of his contract we'll have been getting fair value for him for quite some time.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

This discussion is very much akin to what Detroit went through with Steve Yzerman during the 90s. The Wings were a great regular season team that always managed to find a way to choke during the playoffs. That is until they reached the Finals in '95 (only to get swept by the Devils). They got booted from the Conference Finals against the eventual Champs, the Avalanche, in '96, then went on to win back-to-back Stanley Cups against the Flyers and Capitals in '97 and '98.

But before finding that success, Steve Yzerman's name had come up in trade rumors with strong indications that a deal was close to being struck with the Ottawa Senators in exchange for Alexei Yashin. Sometimes the best trades are those you don't make, and this is one of those prime examples. I'm sure those rumors motivated Yzerman to play better.

Now Kopitar is no Steve Yzerman, but he can still grow and mature into a leader on this team. Yzerman was 31 when he won his first Cup and went on to capture three Cups before retiring at 40, spending 22 years with the Red Wings. Like Yzerman, Kopitar is going to have his ups and downs as he progresses his game. He has become a better all around player since entering the league, but he is getting to that point in his career where he has to put it all together and produce points while also maintaining his defensive responsibilities.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Stop blowing what I say out of proportion.

And my reference to the 2nd line winger, prospect, and pick was obviously hyperbole. K17 mentioned Pominville, Adam and a 1st.

But overall, yes I do think people our overreacting to his comments, and his recent mediocre play. There's nothing negative to pull out of his comments yet some how he's "deflecting to the team." Yeah right.
K17 expressed SEVERAL times that he was spitballing for fun and wasn't serious about any trade involving Kopitar.

People are just talking. I think that's fair. This isn't like the Richards thread where people are getting just plain ridiculous.

I know this board can be super volatile and there are a lot of stupid raging fires that we all try and put out with our own input. But let's not all whip out our ****s and start pissing on a boy scout fire.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:40 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
That first one is a bit of a reach, but I too would like to see Kopitar's PK time reduced.

Statistically speaking it's dead on. If Kopitar had a statistical hand 40% of a top 10 offensive teams like he does with the Dodgers he'd have between 105 and 140 points. Now, that wouldn't really happen on a team that has offensive depth but I was was just making a statistical anlysis.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
It's just a quote, but right after Sutter calls out Brown and Kopitar telling them not to worry about team but themselves, he comes out and basically flat out says if the team is better he is going to be better known around the league and that it's not about individual performance? Where's the personal accountability?
Yeah, I suppose. He doesn't seem to have that emotional need to be great.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:55 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
I thought he was very honest in his replies. And I don't like a comparision to Malkin, not every player is that driven. .
Malkin's drive has always been in question. He has always been known to take games off, not work on his game, and has had his desire to win questioned. Let's not confuse supreme skill with drive.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:03 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
K17 expressed SEVERAL times that he was spitballing for fun and wasn't serious about any trade involving Kopitar.

People are just talking. I think that's fair. This isn't like the Richards thread where people are getting just plain ridiculous.

Well, there was also a quote posted in this thread that Reaper made in the main forum for a similiar package. Anytime someone makes a trade post on a message board it is spitballing since we're not assosciated with the team so I'm not sure where you're going here.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Statistically speaking it's dead on. If Kopitar had a statistical hand 40% of a top 10 offensive teams like he does with the Dodgers he'd have between 105 and 140 points. Now, that wouldn't really happen on a team that has offensive depth but I was was just making a statistical anlysis.
When did Kopitar get traded?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
kchocky

a little off topic and maybe posted earlier, but did anyone see Kopi's hit on Parros Saturday. Granted Parros is not the best skater, but it was good to see Kopi using his size on a big body

kchocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Well, there was also a quote posted in this thread that Reaper made in the main forum for a similiar package. Anytime someone makes a trade post on a message board it is spitballing since we're not assosciated with the team so I'm not sure where you're going here.
It seemed that JohnJM took exception to that proposal. You are correct. It's all spitballing, from multiple opinions. So it's best to take it with a grain of salt and not get all pissy about it. Which can be a pain in the ass all in itself sometimes seeing what some people post :p

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Totally agree - I must be watching same games than you.
Hm, I am also seeing the same games;

TopT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:24 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Syd,

Can you tell from your shot chart maps where Kopitar's shots are coming from and where those of say Carter and Brown originate, and how many they get off?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:38 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
When did Kopitar get traded?
Oops. I was watching the Dodger spring training game. The Dodgers sure can use an athlete like Kopitar.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Of course, he has to say this directly after Kopitar has a multi-point game and has 3 points in the last 2 games, but I guess overall throughout the year, it can easily be applied. I think we just need more offensive aggression from Kopitar. He has a supreme skillset and used to be able to drive to the net, but now he just goes straight to the half board and they setup a paltry cycle to the point for flubbed shots. I would just like to see more creativity and determination, more players going to the slot and more attempts at quality scoring chances. The Kings keep getting scored on in such a fashion, but whenever we try to dish it out, we are always looking for the gritty bounces to go our way.

We need to start making our own luck here. More drive, and more taking the puck to the middle of the ice. I would like to see Kopitar take chances with his skill more instead of trying to make the safe play for a weak shot on net. It sounds counter-intuitive and is definitely against our system, but we have very skilled players on the roster who need to take the safety off and go for the homerun every once in a while.
Thank you Marcel!!!!!!

I have been saying this for 2 years now. And people reacted like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT i AM TALKING ABOUT." Or maybe most fans did not want to hear any of that.

In any case, Kopitar's frame and skill set for him to maximize his potential has to play a "Power Game." Like a Linden, Primeau, etc.... his compete level has to be like... "I am going to take it and drive to the net and you can't do anything about it."

That kind of attitude. That kind of determination. It's HUNGER. IT'S COURAGE. FEARLESSNESS. IT'S AN ATTITUDE.

That being said, no one can do that for Kopi... Kopitar has to do it himself. Marcel is right!

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Nex06

I am absolutely disgusted by some people trying to make Kopitar look bad at ANY cost. There is no way he can say or do anything to please them. I am not going to write what I think about them as a person, it would violate the forum rules.

Quote:
"I don't know," said Kopitar, pondering his answer for a moment. "I don't think it's really based on individual performance. Obviously, I want to win in this league and that's what I want to be known for, is making key plays at key times and big plays and scoring big goals. If it's the 25th or the 35th (goal), it doesn't really matter. As long as we play up to our potential and are winning games, that's going to make me a better player and be known around the league for that."
Anyone who finds this quote problematic, needs to get some help. It's not Anze with problems between his ears.

Basically what he said there was, that he wants to be known as a winner. He wants to be known for the trophies he has won. He even says that he would like to score those winning goals. Deflecting to the team my ass!

Unbe****inglievable! It takes a bad person to find something bad in quotes like that one. Or at least a person with bad motivation.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I am absolutely disgusted by some people trying to make Kopitar look bad at ANY cost. There is no way he can say or do anything to please them. I am not going to write what I think about them as a person, it would violate the forum rules.

Anyone who finds this quote problematic, needs to get some help. It's not Anze with problems between his ears.

Basically what he said there was, that he wants to be known as a winner. He wants to be known for the trophies he has won. He even says that he would like to score those winning goals. Deflecting to the team my ass!

Unbe****inglievable! It takes a bad person to find something bad in quotes like that one. Or at least a person with bad motivation.
Hey no name, remember when you said I was the one who presented things as if my opinion is right and there's something wrong with anyone who disagrees with me? And that Nex06 has been nothing but respectful and polite?

Here's the thrust of the above post:

- Nex06 is disgusted with you if you don't agree with him
- If you find fault with the quote, you "need help"
- You're a bad person if you don't like the quote

I'll take that apology any time now

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:33 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Kopitar just needs to get on one of those hot streaks and the love will be back.
Don't expect him to change his game he has been in the league long enough and he is what he is. Good 2-way center who gets you around +/- 75 pts. He is not an Elite player but a damn good hockey player.
If he doesn't change his game. I will trade him. Ain't worth $6.8 milion per season in my book.

Old
03-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge View Post
If he doesn't change his game. I will trade him. Ain't worth $6.8 milion per season in my book.
I think they should make an interview with you next.

The Judge says "If he doesn't change his game. I will trade him."

And then we can discuss that in another 50 page thread.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
I think they should make an interview with you next.

The Judge says "If he doesn't change his game. I will trade him."

And then we can discuss that in another 50 page thread.
NICE...*

Old
03-06-2012, 05:57 PM
KingsfanInsano

Kopi responds to criticism

From mayorsmanor :

http://www.mayorsmanor.com/2012/03/e...criticism.html

KingsfanInsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:00 PM