Old
02-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
So are Yzerman and Staal.
You can add Troy Brouwer, Jay Bouwmeester, Lance Bouma, Cam Janssen, Dave Bolland, David van der Gulik, Jed Ortmeyer, Paul Postma, Nick Spaling, Kevin Klein, Calvin de Haan, Jim Vandermeer, BJ Crombeen, Dan Hamhuis and the late Derek Boogaard. All definitely names with Dutch heritage. And that's just from the NHL, and just from this season.

There are even more, but they have questionmarks behind their names.
Phil Kessel could be German, could be Dutch. Same goes for Andrew Alberts.
Peters, Weber, Hendricks and Holland (dh) are also common surnames in The Netherlands, but they're also found in Germany and England, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Does Yzerman really mean "IronMan"?
Yes :-) yzer, or ijzer as it is now spelled in Dutch (yzer is how it used to be spelled in ye olde days) is the dutch word for iron. A lot of dutch surnames end in -man, but so do a lot of Anglo-saxon, german and scandinavian names.

There are boatloads of Dutch names in North-American hockey. Ofcourse due to immigration pre- and post WWII, but also from decades or even centuries earlier. Vancouver was named after English captain George Vancouver, who was a descendant of the Dutch family of Van Coeverden. (the 'oe' in dutch is pronounced the same as the 'ou' in Vancouver).

The best known from the past are ofcourse Yzerman and Nieuwendyk. But also big bad bruin John Wensink had Dutch heritage. His brother Bill played many years in the Dutch league, even for the Dutch NT.

Others include for instance John van Boxmeer and Ed Kea, who both would have played in the 1980 Olympics if they weren't tied up in the NHL play-offs at the time (back then, the IIHf didn't have the rule where you had to play two years in a Dutch league to be eligible for the Dutch NT). John Vanbiesbrouck apparently has Belgian roots.

Basically, if a surname starts with 'van', 'van de', 'van der' or 'de', chances are pretty big the person has Dutch heritage. Think Van der Meer, Van den Bussche, Vande Velde, Van Allen, Van Ryn, Van Riemsdyk, Wayne van Dorp, Van Drunen, De Boer. Many Dutch families who moved to North-America had the spaces in their names removed to Anglicise their names.

Note: If it starts with 'von', it's probably German.

Frisian names usually end in -ma, -sma or -stra (Friesland is one of the northern Dutch provinces)
Think Hoekstra, Dijkstra, Stienstra, Bylsma, Bouma, Schaafsma, Brolsma, etcetera.

-huis (dutch for house) is also a common name ending (Nienhuis, Dykhuis, Hamhuis)

And in The Netherlands, we have ofcourse a lot of dikes. Nieuwendyk, Dykhuis, Dykstra, Van Riemsdyk. We also have lesbians.

Also, I need to get out more.

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Baarle*
Lhme looduses

vCash: 50
How hard would it be to make a team in the dutch league? Having played in Canada as a kid, would it be difficult?

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Purple hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje For Life View Post
How hard would it be to make a team in the dutch league? Having played in Canada as a kid, would it be difficult?
Im sure 'Ro Herregraven' can give you a much better answer but most stepping stone leagues want players that have CIS, NCAA Div. III, Central Hockey League or ECHL experience for older players, most of the younger guys are either lower end Canadian Hockey League players or from the better Junior levels outside Major Junior. And just from looking at Canadian imports for this season, thats what majority of them have.

Last edited by Purple hippo: 02-20-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje For Life View Post
Having Dutch Citizenship (i.e. a Dutch passport) helps. Do you have your eyes set on cracking the roster of one of the Eredivisie teams? In that case, everything SvenskaRiga said. If you're just planning to come over and play hockey for the fun of it, there are plenty of teams in the Second, Third and Fourth Division that will have you, depending on your skill level.

UPDATE: Aw, crap, SvenskaRiga edited his post, while he already nailed it the first time around! :-) He's still right, though.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:49 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintan74 View Post
ad 2. Why isn't hockey more popular? The eternal question... First of all football (or soccer) is extremely popular in The Netherlands and utterly dominates the media. There is hardly any room for other sports; the small sports that manage to get attention are dependant on the personal preferences of tv-makers and presenters. The funny thing is that hockey gets fantastic tv-ratings when broadcast during the Olympics; proof that there is plenty of potential for the sport.

Secondly it is a relatively expensive sport to play in The Netherlands. The number of rinks is low and icetime very costly. There are very few parents who are willing to fork out the money for contribution and kit when they could also send their kid off to play football with only a pair of footballshoes to invest in.

Thirdly the youth development programme has not always been optimal. Since a few years there are Hockey Academies, where youngsters can combine school and hockey. These sort of initiatives will help foster young talents and allow them to keep playing their sport.

These are just a few of the causes, but I feel they are key factors.

ad 3. The future of hockey here? That also depends on who you ask... Personally I think fostering youth and marketing the game more aggressively are vital for the long term prospects. Other countries have succesfully upgraded their youthplans, closing the gap between juniors and top level. Improved marketing of the game will also help attract people to play the game and others to come watch it. More spectators equals more corporate interest, which equals higher budgets, which equals better players and a more attractive league. It all seems so simple when I write it down...

This year our top division will, hopefully, consist of seven teams. That is the most it has been for years; only a few seasons back we had just four. There is good hope that Utrecht will join the top flight from the first division next season, which would bring the total to eight. Despite all the problems surrounding the game in Holland I am cautiously optimistic. If we could just get some coverage on tv...

Reading this post from 2007, it reminds me a lot of the situation here in Germany. I think our hockey benefited from the World Cup 2010 here and the situation has slightly improved.

How's the situation in the Netherlands? Has it stagnated or has the situation improved?

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
How's the situation in the Netherlands? Has it stagnated or has the situation improved?
I think that after a few years of demise, the situation has stagnated in the past few years and now is slightly improving. It'll be interesting to see how the U18 and Senior National Team will fare in the new set-up of the World Championships this year.

The U18 has the home advantage (the tournament is being played in Heerenveen) and has already had an extensive preparation. Hopes are high for this one.

The Seniors also have a chance to promote, but they'll have to deal with tougher opposition. They could promote, but they could also end without a medal. Either way I wouldn't be surprised.

Old
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinstrap View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Staal brothers are part Dutch (by ancestry) and Neidermayer is a Dutch last name. And after the success of players such as Anze Kopitar, Thomas Vanek, Cristobal Huet and Yutaka Fukufuji, it seems that being from a non-tradition hockey country is no longer a deterrant from making the NHL.
Scott and Rob Niedermayer have german ancestors.

Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:12 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure80 View Post
Scott and Rob Niedermayer have german ancestors.
Niedermayer is also not a dutch name at all. It's a VERY german name :-)
If the Niedermayers were dutch, they probably would have been called Nedermeijer or something like that ;-)

Old
02-23-2012, 07:08 AM
akustyk

Quote:
As I am part Dutch, I have always wondered why there aren't more Dutch hockey players. It just seems to me like it would be natural.
I'm myself not Dutch, but been living here since 2007 so let me add some observations from semi-outsider point of view. it's semi, because according to my wife (Polish as well) I've already become "one of them" - and if you've ever wondered about "going Dutch" idiome - that's the very reason she calls me that

Quote:
One of the best speed skating countries + One of the best field hockey countries + reasonably sizeable population + MANY canals which freeze in the winter + lots of flat land, which would surely make the best outdoor rinks in the world = Elite hockey country?
not quite...

first and foremost... except for 3 recent winters there used to be like 1 week a year cold enough for safe ice outside. it's simply to close to the North Sea and the climate is too moderate. normally, snow is a big deal in Netherlands and minus temperatures (in Celsius that is) are not really common. Dutch themselves are totally not accustomed to low temperatures and they ***** like crazy when it's -2C. that's nothing compared to the disaster which occurs when there's like 2 inches of snow, but to cut this in short: yes, there is the affinity to ice of the Dutch, but it's not like we have abundance of chances for outdoor skating or playing hockey. it's not Alberta, when ponds are frozen between August and April

second... yep, there's huge popularity of speed skating, but that's it when skates are involved. some people do play hockey when there's some ice, but compared to those speed skating, it's second to none.

third... the sport attracts zero media attention here. in fact, everything other than football, speed/distance skating, field hockey and cycling attracts zero media attention here. Dutch themselves are very calm people and they seem to enjoy the most those competition, which unfold slowly and tactically, and they apparently have great liking in following snooze-fests like football and skating (15.000m runs which take, I dunno, half an hour, seem to be the most covered ones ).

fourth... Dutch themselves are very traditional. as peculiar as it sounds for the nation known outside for legal weed, red light districts and tv ads that break any taboo's - in their core they are very traditional folks who have little love for trying new things and most certainly treading outside of the proven path. there's football, there's field hockey, there's skating... they don't really seem poised to want more. in fact, tv shows featuring guys blabling 1,5 hour long about single football game (day in, day out) remain enormously popular...

I mean... why bother...

Quote:
team (albeit with very nice jerseys). Why?
orange can be stunning with all jerseys

Quote:
I know Jeff Heerema is of Dutch descent, I'm pretty sure that the Staal brothers are part Dutch (by ancestry) and Neidermayer is a Dutch last name.
Heerema is Frisian IMHO. and Frisia is geographically part of Netherlands, but please don't say this to any of them!

just kidding. yup, this is a name of Lower Lands provenience, definitely

as for Niedermayer... it's definitely German, and even semi-Dutch like me feels insulted now. Dutch are not Germans!

Quote:
1) Who's the best Dutch player right now?
2) Why isn't hockey more popular in Holland?
3) What does the future have in store for Dutch hockey?
1. dunno
2. see above.
3. I don't follow Dutch team closely, but have the impression that they get better over time. at this point they're 25th in IIHF ranking, even behind Poland (which has absolutely brutal national association and youth programme) which speaks more to the country's pool of players than NIJB efficiency...

akustyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Akustyk, you had me laughing so hard...
I'm not going to argue against anything you said, though, as everything you said is basically the cold hard truth.
Your wife may want to check out http://youknowyouredutchwhen.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by akustyk View Post
1. dunno
2. see above.
3. I don't follow Dutch team closely, but have the impression that they get better over time. at this point they're 25th in IIHF ranking, even behind Poland (which has absolutely brutal national association and youth programme) which speaks more to the country's pool of players than NIJB efficiency...
1. My pick for the Frans Henrichs Trophy for Dutch MVP this season would be Diederick Hagemeijerwho spent nearly two seasons in the USHL with Tri-City a few seasons ago. Could be that Mitch Bruijsten, Mike Dalhuisen and/or Nardo Nagtzaam are better, though, but I can't tell how they're doing just looking at their stats.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
Alpine

Dumb arse question.
David Van der Guilk of the Avalanche is Canadian born and played all his hockey in NA. But would his surname be of Dutch or Belgian heritage?

Last edited by Alpine: 02-24-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Dumb arse question.
David Van der Guilk of the Avalanche is Canadian born and played all his hockey in NA. But would his surname be of Dutch or Belgian heritage?
I'm pretty sure of it. There's no telling whether it's Belgian or Dutch, but it's more than certainly of of them.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
jetkarma

Ard Schenk who was a elite speed skater in the 60's was contacted by the Chicago Blackhawks if I recall the story correctly .

Probably just promotional as opposed to legitimate though .

Ed Kea is related to an aunt , there are , as mentioned lots of NHL players with Dutch ancestry .

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 10:13 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Ard Schenk who was a elite speed skater in the 60's was contacted by the Chicago Blackhawks if I recall the story correctly .

Probably just promotional as opposed to legitimate though .

Ed Kea is related to an aunt , there are , as mentioned lots of NHL players with Dutch ancestry .
Ed Kea was actually born in Weesp, The Netherlands. His family moved to Collingwood, ON when he was four. He's the first dutch-born player ever to score a goal in the NHL (although obviously not the first Dutch-trained player. That is still yet to happen).

And Ard Schenk (World champion in '70, '71 and '72 and triple Olympic Gold winner in Sapporo '72) wouldn't know what to do with a hockey stick, so yes, that was more than likely only promotional

Old
07-25-2012, 07:54 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Jay Bouwmeester is Dutch too

and the meaning for Versteeg is someone who lived by a Gangway/Walkway/Bridge

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote