HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lightning @ Canes, 7 p.m., RBCPNC Center; FS-CR

Old
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I'm so glad Garon is still alive with the way you describe that collision, Bleed. And just because you don't accept Twitter as a "responsible media form" doesn't mean that it isn't. It is just as likely to contain true/false infomation as any publication, and the journalist/blogger/writer is still very responsible for what they put out there.

But in the end, you're right. No one is going to change anyone's mind and everyone should just agree to disagree. When I woke up this morning I couldn't believe that there was still a back and forth on this. Well...yes I can considering how much time is spent arguing about players like Peters, LaRose, Spacek, Sanguinetti, etc (some of which I claim responsibility for).
i find it to be a very questionable form of media to actually rely on. no one provided any proof peel ever said anything. third hand through chip seems pretty weak, dont you think? what would chip be thinking even putting that on twitter? being a homer is one thing, saying a ref is apologizing to players for his partners blown calls is another.

garon was never close to being hurt but it was definitely a collision. everyone wants to pat sutter on the back reward him, i give him credit he went the extra yard but he still made significant impact. argue all day about if was big or not so big, it was big enough for garon to go down.

the whole thing is ridiculous, if this happened to ward this would be quite a different conversation.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:31 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

He never actually said that Peel apologized, just that Peel said that there was "nothing he could do". He did say that Peel apologized for the non-call in Anaheim, which refs are known to do from time to time. Just a bit of miscommunication and mixing of quotes, I think.

Quote:
Jokinen said Peel approached again after Sutter penalty in OT. Told Jokinen other ref made call and there was "nothing he could do."
Quote:
Jokinen said he talked with Peel in first period. Said Peel apologized for no-call in OT in Anaheim when Jokinen was tripped by Perry.
I don't find anything wrong with either, to be honest.

Libel is libel, whether it's Twitter/Forums/Blogs/Online newspapers/etc. You're still responsible for what you put out there, in any form. I trust that Chip knows that and wouldn't put something up there that Jokinen didn't say. Whether Jokinen minced words or not is an entirely different matter, however. But that's the risk you take with quoting a player in any form.

As for the contact and the severity of it, I'll just leave it as this: players go down with minimal contact all the time. In my opinion, that's what we saw.

I also don't disagree that it'd be different if it were Ward. I'd like to think it wouldn't be, but it likely would.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:34 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
i find it to be a very questionable form of media to actually rely on. no one provided any proof peel ever said anything. third hand through chip seems pretty weak, dont you think? what would chip be thinking even putting that on twitter? being a homer is one thing, saying a ref is apologizing to players for his partners blown calls is another.

garon was never close to being hurt but it was definitely a collision. everyone wants to pat sutter on the back reward him, i give him credit he went the extra yard but he still made significant impact. argue all day about if was big or not so big, it was big enough for garon to go down.

the whole thing is ridiculous, if this happened to ward this would be quite a different conversation.
It happens to Ward alot. Just earlier in the game Ward was in the crease and a guy practically sat on his head. Did someone barrel into him, not but he could have gotten hurt as well.

I'm sorry, but just b/c a guy could have gotten hurt doesn't make it a penalty. I guess we should start calling hits penalties b/c you might get hurt.

There is no way that was goalie interference nor was it roughing. It wasn't a penalty period. The ref screwed up. It happens. They aren't perfect. Its ok to admit that one screwed up.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
bleedgreen

thats fine, i just struggle with second and third hand quotes. peel says something, fine its fair in the discussion. jussi relaying to chip takes away some of the ooomph from it, regardless of whats said.

my point on the whole twitter thing was i wanted someone to show me where peel actually said something, because to me its hard for it to be a valid point otherwise. i dont see if jussi was even saying that peel threw his partner under the bus through chip it would be something to really stand on. hes a pissed off player and who knows what was actually said? saying, well twitter is legitimate these days isnt enough for that argument. just my opinion. if it was a tsn guy saying he heard from peel himself, or even if it was chip saying he had heard it himself i would be a lot more inclined to listen to it even on twitter - i just think saying twitter is always a legit responsible medium seems ludicrous.

anybody can say anything they want, stir the pot all they want, push blame anywhere they want, discredit anyone they want. there is no voice of reason.

Old
03-06-2012, 03:45 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
It happens to Ward alot. Just earlier in the game Ward was in the crease and a guy practically sat on his head. Did someone barrel into him, not but he could have gotten hurt as well.

I'm sorry, but just b/c a guy could have gotten hurt doesn't make it a penalty. I guess we should start calling hits penalties b/c you might get hurt.

There is no way that was goalie interference nor was it roughing. It wasn't a penalty period. The ref screwed up. It happens. They aren't perfect. Its ok to admit that one screwed up.
they do miss calls. they arent perfect. they are still the best in the world, and i honestly think he was justified in this call. you cant take out the goalie ( i wish you could, ironically. out of the crease should be fair game, but thats just not the way they call it), and to take him out on such a big play made it very difficult for them not to call it. a non call wouldve stirred more of ruckus than calling it, imo.