HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Is Clowe the best non-heavyweight fighter in the NHL?

Old
11-21-2011, 09:34 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

vCash: 500
Barch is listed at 6'1 237 on NHL.com
Clowe is 6'2 225....

So Barch is Bigger than Clowe, i dont understand where you guys are getting 209 from.

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2011, 11:55 PM
MonsterSurge

There are 5 types of fighters in the NHL/Hockey.

SuperHeavy - (EX) MacIntyre
Heavyweight - (EX) Bissonnette
LightHeavy - (EX) Mike Rupp
Middleweight - (EX) Brandon Prust
Lightweight - (Non-Fighter)

You guys need to forget the weight of these guys and pay attention to their fight card's. Weight doesn't have much to do with anything except when you get to the Super-Heavyweight's.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:47 AM
straka91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post

You guys need to forget the weight of these guys and pay attention to their fight card's. Weight doesn't have much to do with anything except when you get to the Super-Heavyweight's.
This is pretty spot on. Not the biggest fan of the whole class thing but its good for debate. Weight doesn't matter for superheavies since the rather light Bam Bam can handle most superheavies.

Clowe is right in the middle of the the MW class and light heavy. Same goes with Barch most of the time but when Barch is at his best he is for sure a light hw. Barch was not on his A game that fight and still had quite a bit of rust. Clowe was on his A game. Probably the best way I can put it.

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 06:15 AM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post

Why forget the weights when the weights normally account for strength. In general a 225lb guy will be stronger then 200lb guy the same height. Weight matters because it effects strength. It is normally easier for a stronger player to control a fight.

A player like Chara is not a fighter but he is stronger then a fighter that weighs 200lbs and has better reach then a 6' guy. Doesn't that strength and reach give him an advantage in a fight even though he is not a fighter.

Weight is in the name for a reason. You can classify a player as an enforcer and non enforcer but when you mention anything followed be weight it becomes about weight.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 02:10 PM
MonsterSurge

Ok, we can call them Super's, Heavy's, Light-Heavy's, Middle's, and Light's. How about that?

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post

Clowe is right in the middle of the the MW class and light heavy. Same goes with Barch most of the time but when Barch is at his best he is for sure a light hw. Barch was not on his A game that fight and still had quite a bit of rust. Clowe was on his A game. Probably the best way I can put it.
??? Clowe didn't really have a good fight here. He was at the end of his shift and Barch basically stood at the door of the SJ bench and gave him no choice but to fight. I've seen much better out of Clowe, even though this fight was even.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:05 PM
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
This is pretty spot on. Not the biggest fan of the whole class thing but its good for debate. Weight doesn't matter for superheavies since the rather light Bam Bam can handle most superheavies.

Ya, after playing 12 minutes and to come off a shift, tired as hell is definitely Clowe on his "A game", especially Compared to Barch playing for 5 minutes, and coming fresh off the bench before the fight...

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
Lucic and Clowe are in class by themselves because they are legitimate fighters who can stand up for their teammates while also putting up 60+ points, which is a very valuable combination in this league. Nobody else in the league with their pugilistic skills was even close to them in points last season.
Chris Stewart is on that short list too...but yes, great points.

Anyone would love to have any 3 of these guys....they can fight, hit and score.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:39 AM
Hollywood

For anyone who says that Barch won that fight clearly has never played hockey at a level where fighting is a penalty, not a suspension. Nor been in a hockey fight themselves in a proper league.
After watching this fight on the supplied youtube, the only quality punch of the whole fight is landed by Clowe at .0:18 by an upper cut.
Personally I would love to have seen Clowe traded to an East Coast team. I would love to see Clowe and Lucic have 4 or 5 opportunities to go.... I don't think Lucic would drop em with Clowe at the beginning of a shift. Lucic picks his spots much more than clowe...
Gained respect for Clowe when he destroyed Parros. Lost respect for Lucic when he wouldn't fight Laraque... Thornton beat him afterwards...
Clowe> Lucic

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:01 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
For anyone who says that Barch won that fight clearly has never played hockey at a level where fighting is a penalty, not a suspension. Nor been in a hockey fight themselves in a proper league.
After watching this fight on the supplied youtube, the only quality punch of the whole fight is landed by Clowe at .0:18 by an upper cut.
Personally I would love to have seen Clowe traded to an East Coast team. I would love to see Clowe and Lucic have 4 or 5 opportunities to go.... I don't think Lucic would drop em with Clowe at the beginning of a shift. Lucic picks his spots much more than clowe...
Gained respect for Clowe when he destroyed Parros. Lost respect for Lucic when he wouldn't fight Laraque... Thornton beat him afterwards...
Clowe> Lucic
Really.. looch would not turn down a fight with clowe at any point of his shift. Get the laraque **** outta here. His coaches told him not to fight him. Looch was not afraid of laraque. End of story.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
Really.. looch would not turn down a fight with clowe at any point of his shift. Get the laraque **** outta here. His coaches told him not to fight him. Looch was not afraid of laraque. End of story.
He doesn't fight Laraque but his fought Komisarek The result for his coach is the same. He was just scared of Laraque and it's normal, this guy was the #1 enforcer in the entire NHL.

Monstersurge I am agree with your wightclass.

And Clowe can fight any heavyweight without problem. I would love to have him in my team !

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:56 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
He doesn't fight Laraque but his fought Komisarek The result for his coach is the same. He was just scared of Laraque and it's normal, this guy was the #1 enforcer in the entire NHL.

Monstersurge I am agree with your wightclass.

And Clowe can fight any heavyweight without problem. I would love to have him in my team !
First of all komi and looch had more a history that was definetely going to happen. Looch was talking **** back to laraque that whole time. IT was a bad trade off and claude didn't want it. I personally wished they dropped so this wouldn't be talked about 3 or 4 years later.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Sasso09

Clowe is definitely a heavyweight... Non heavyweight would be under 190-200, in which case Wayne Simmonds would be my vote

Sasso09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Sasso09

Quote:
Looch was scared of laraque, end of story, there's no shame in that, laraque is one of the best fighters ever, maybe second to probert. Don't have to be prideful.

Old
03-06-2012, 10:54 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasso09 View Post
Looch was scared of laraque, end of story, there's no shame in that, laraque is one of the best fighters ever, maybe second to probert. Don't have to be prideful.
Personally, I don't think he was scared. He was in his second year in the league and just barely out of his teen years ( turned 20 a few months prior ) and he was doing what his coach told him. In the process scored the winning goal and made Laraque look old and pathetic. It wouldn't be hard to blame him if he was intimidated considering his age and experience factor vs a guy like Laraque who had been doing this for over a decade, but Lucic had already gone with established heavyweights so I think the intimidated factor is just Montreal fan and media wishful thinking.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Clowe> Lucic
Who was Clowe fighting when he was 20 years old?

At 23, Lucic has already fought top end enforcers in the league. You can't say the same for Clowe.

And unfortunately for you, you're wrong about the Barch fight. Nice try.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/Gam...76#Fight344976

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/106955

Old
03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
why do people think they know exactly what happened when they don't even know the specifics of that game? He was told not to fight.. END OF STORY. He had already fought guys in the league (no non as tough as laraque). No one gets knocked out in the league its not like laraque has killed a man with his bare hands. This always comes up when people want to talk about looch's game and its usually brought up to disparage (spelling) what he's done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Personally, I don't think he was scared. He was in his second year in the league and just barely out of his teen years ( turned 20 a few months prior ) and he was doing what his coach told him. In the process scored the winning goal and made Laraque look old and pathetic. It wouldn't be hard to blame him if he was intimidated considering his age and experience factor vs a guy like Laraque who had been doing this for over a decade, but Lucic had already gone with established heavyweights so I think the intimidated factor is just Montreal fan and media wishful thinking.
shhhhusshhh stop being so prideful.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
CCF
This is the year....

This convo starts and ends with Rick Rypien.

RIP RYP.

CCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Sasso09

Quote:
why do people think they know exactly what happened when they don't even know the specifics of that game? He was told not to fight.. END OF STORY. He had already fought guys in the league (no non as tough as laraque). No one gets knocked out in the league its not like laraque has killed a man with his bare hands. This always comes up when people want to talk about looch's game and its usually brought up to disparage (spelling) what he's done.

shhhhusshhh stop being so prideful.
There's plenty of players that are told not to fight and they fight, i don't care what Boston fans say, it was OBVIOUS Looch was afraid of Laraque you're being prideful. There's no shame, i would venture to say just about everyone was afraid of Laraque, Even Brashear who was much tougher than Looch.

Old
03-06-2012, 12:56 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
There's plenty of players that are told not to fight and they fight, i don't care what Boston fans say, it was OBVIOUS Looch was afraid of Laraque you're being prideful. There's no shame, i would venture to say just about everyone was afraid of Laraque, Even Brashear who was much tougher than Looch.
second year in the league.. when a coach tells you not to fight, you don't fight. Ugh i wish laraque was still in the league and looch and him could just fight and get it over with.

Old
03-06-2012, 01:38 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Lucic was voted toughest player in the league and the second toughest forward to play against by his peers.

Old
03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
PJ StockBB

Lucic might have been to afraid to fight laraque, he might not have been. we might not ever know for sure.
however it is a fact that he was told not to fight him, and there were strategy reasons behind that.

what hab fans don't understand is that Lucic was playing on our first line and the habs kept on putting out laraque, a borderline nhl player at best, against our top line. that's how badly Lucic was in their heads. he owned them and the Bruins were getting the benefit of that matchup because of it. if Lucic fought him, he most certainly would have lost, and we would have also lost that matchup and the psychological advantage. by not fighting him our team as a whole benefitted, and the result was a 4-0 sweep in the playoffs.

but habs fans continue to ignore the logic behind not fighting him and call Lucic a coward and a goon. even though they are now back to employing useless goons without an ounce of skill because that organization couldn't draft a tough skilled player if their lives depended on it.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:18 PM
SPLBRUIN

If you go back to last year, Matt Carkner of Ottawa was destroying everyone in sight, including the reining NHL champ Derek Booregard and an argument could be made that he was now the best fighter in the NHL, well, Lucic had a great bout with Carkner this year and by most people's account Lucic won that fight, case closed. Lucic is beating everyone these days, and Clowe would lose to him too.

SPLBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Sheppy

Lucic is 34-7-7 in the NHL (Including 3 pre-season fights)
He has fought...

Jay Rosehill
Matt Carkner
John Erskine x2
Brandon Prust x2
Colton Orr
Chris Neil x2
Jared Boll x2
Eric Boulton
Raitis Ivanans
Wade Brookbank

Clowe is 26-4-18 in the NHL

He's has fought

Paul Bissonnette
Deryk Engelland
Brandon Prust
Krys Barch x2
George Parros
Shawn Thornton
Jared Boll

I think it's a pretty close call here, Lucics fight card may be slightly better, but Clowes record is no joke.

Sheppy is offline   Reply With Quote