HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Brian Elliott?

Old
03-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Brian Elliott?

Has he been pushed completely to the sidelines? He's got amazing numbers but with Halak (supposedly) starting tonight it just seems like he's becoming an afterthought. Just curious as to why this is and what you think Hitch's future plans are for this guy the rest of the year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

vCash: 50
He played against Vancouver last IIRC... Halak seems to be getting a few more nods to net. Maybe prepping him for playoffs?

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

Halak is the starter. Elliott is the back-up.

Cudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Alklha

As we've maintained all along, Halak is the Blues starter. Hitch made comment about getting Jaro going as soon as he arrived, so I think he has seen that since day 1 as well. Halak has started 18 in 2012, compared to 10 for Elliott. Elliott even got the benefit of 3 or 4 games in a row last month because Jaro had the flu, so it could have been a wider gap.

As soon as Halak regained his form, this is what was going to happen. Better to have a good, confident backup rather than have a pair sharing responsibilities IMO.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:24 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Halak gets about 70% of the starts. Its a pretty typical starter/back-up relationship, expect that maybe the team has more confidence in Elliott. Earlier in the year, he was hot and got more starts (when Halak was struggling).

Halak will be the goalie for the post-season. Folks may not have noticed, but he's playing dominant hockey right now.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 01:37 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

They're kind of 1A/1A options. Elliott's had slightly fewer starts but has had many of the more difficult assignments throughout the season. Basically Elliott has never stopped playing well and Halak put his terrible October behind him and has been playing very well also. The recent streak of Halak games was more in reply to the streak of Elliott games just before that.

I do think Halak will get the first duty in the playoffs but there is a contingent of Blues fans who, with an edge, will tell you "Elliott is the backup." That's not really accurate, since both are playing so well that if one were to play poorly you know you'll likely see the other the next game. It's a tandem, with Halak probably being the first chance to start in the playoffs. But nobody thinks the team wouldn't play just as well with Elliott in net.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
kittensmasher
moe.ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
They're kind of 1A/1A options. Elliott's had slightly fewer starts but has had many of the more difficult assignments throughout the season. Basically Elliott has never stopped playing well and Halak put his terrible October behind him and has been playing very well also. The recent streak of Halak games was more in reply to the streak of Elliott games just before that.

I do think Halak will get the first duty in the playoffs but there is a contingent of Blues fans who, with an edge, will tell you "Elliott is the backup." That's not really accurate, since both are playing so well that if one were to play poorly you know you'll likely see the other the next game. It's a tandem, with Halak probably being the first chance to start in the playoffs. But nobody thinks the team wouldn't play just as well with Elliott in net.
This is basically how I see it. Well said. It seemed that around the All-Star break (or maybe earlier) some Blues fans were perceiving Elliott as "cooling off" and that Halak was taking over the starting job, and I never quite understood that. Elliott (like any good goalie) has let in the occasional softie, but I can't think of a single specific game where he's played flat-out poorly. Halak struggled early, Elliott came out of nowhere and set the bar high, and Halak's since caught up to Elliott's high level of play.

kittensmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Falco Lombardi
LET'S GO BLUES

I admit I have less confidence with Elliott in the net. Not much, but a little.

Halak is the starter. Elliott is the back-up. He might be in the top 3 backups in the league with Rask and Schneider, but he is the backup.

Falco Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Both started 5 of the previous 10 games. Elliott's were tougher. He allowed 1 goal in Vancouver which we'll take any day. Against Boston the Blues constantly hung him out to dry with terrible turnovers. At Chicago, David Backes kicked a puck in. I don't have the least bit of difference in confidence between the two goalies.

If Elliott's really "the backup" why did Halak start against Edmonton and Elliott get Vancouver when they'd be more tired and more reliant on a dominant goalie performance?

I truly don't get why people need to say he's the backup. They're a true tandem. If Halak starts the playoffs and looks not sharp, does anyone think for a second Hitch will hesitate? At New Jersey Halak wasn't playing his sharpest game and Elliott came in and shut the door, the Blues came back and won.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I admit I have less confidence with Elliott in the net. Not much, but a little.
Halak is the starter. Elliott is the back-up. He might be in the top 3 backups in the league with Rask and Schneider, but he is the backup.
And I am the exact opposite. Funny how we all perceive things differently and we all watch the same game!

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Both started 5 of the previous 10 games. Elliott's were tougher. He allowed 1 goal in Vancouver which we'll take any day. Against Boston the Blues constantly hung him out to dry with terrible turnovers. At Chicago, David Backes kicked a puck in. I don't have the least bit of difference in confidence between the two goalies.

If Elliott's really "the backup" why did Halak start against Edmonton and Elliott get Vancouver when they'd be more tired and more reliant on a dominant goalie performance?

I truly don't get why people need to say he's the backup. They're a true tandem. If Halak starts the playoffs and looks not sharp, does anyone think for a second Hitch will hesitate? At New Jersey Halak wasn't playing his sharpest game and Elliott came in and shut the door, the Blues came back and won.
The number of recent starts is a bit deceiving since Halak missed a few starts with the flu. What about the 10 games before that? Halak started 7 of 10. I think that's more in line with the expectation for the next 10 games. As I said above, Halak gets about 70% of the starts from here out, and starts in the playoffs.

There's no edge or emotional element to it. Its just the way I read Hitchcock's opinion.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote