HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Leadership

Old
03-06-2012, 08:21 PM
dkollidas

vCash: 500
Leadership

We have seen this team in the 5 seasons Briere and Drury have been gone and we constantly seem to go back and forth on the team's leadership. The current core doesn't seem to have it.

Ruff could be blamed to an extent for this vacuum, but ultimately in my mind, it comes down to the players on the ice finding "it", and finding the "will to win".

Vanek and Pominville, while good players, are not elite, and don't seem to have the characteristics to lead this team on a deep playoff run. Roy and Stafford are definitely not it. Miller has been vocal with the team it seems, but a goalie isn't usually team captain, and may have even alienated the team after the Lucic affair. Myers may eventually become that player, but it remains to be seen. Same goes for Hodgson.

In my opinion, they need a guy (like when they brought in Drury) who can almost teach the guys how to win and have that winning attitude and work ethic, and go hard at it every night. They tried to do that with the Rivet experiment, which failed pretty miserably.

That being said, A) do you see any guys on the current roster, or within the organization, who could develop into that player? and B) If not, maybe a few suggestions as to who you could see Regier attempting to acquire if he feels the need to add in that department, with players like Roy & Stafford likely on the chopping block along with our 2 1st's and 2 2nd's.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
gallagt01

I expect changes in the offseason that will ultimately shift the leadership of the room on to guys like Myers, Ehrhoff, Kaleta and maybe Gerbe.

Pominville makes a good captain and has solid intangibles. His workmanlike approach to the game make him worthy of the C. I have no qualms there.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:31 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I expect changes in the offseason that will ultimately shift the leadership of the room on to guys like Myers, Ehrhoff, Kaleta and maybe Gerbe.

Pominville makes a good captain and has solid intangibles. His workmanlike approach to the game make him worthy of the C. I have no qualms there.
I don't know if you would want to put Ehrhoff as your assistant just seeing him here in Vancouver for a few years...he's a good player, but don't see the leadership quality in him.

The Kassian Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:36 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
I don't know if you would want to put Ehrhoff as your assistant just seeing him here in Vancouver for a few years...he's a good player, but don't see the leadership quality in him.
Buffalo fans have seen a different player then. The guy plays with his heart on his sleeve.

And I'm not necessarily talking about giving any of these players letters. I just think their voice in the room will be heard far more frequently next year.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post

I disagree 10000%

The man gives effort night in and night out.

Willing to stick up for teammates.

He would be fine as a Assistant.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I disagree 10000%

The man gives effort night in and night out.

Willing to stick up for teammates.

He would be fine as a Assistant.
Agreed.

His play has been inspiring this year. Wonderful addition to the blue line. He's good for a blunder here or there, but he always makes a concerted effort to get back into the play. He's an on-ice leader for sure - his extensive playoff experience make him all the more valuable in our room and on our blue line.

Old
03-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I like Pomminville but this is a league that nice guys always finish last in. Bullies are celebrated champions and skilled nice guys are overlooked. Such is life in a contact sport, where strength and toughness are the only rules.

Captains should never flamingo on a shot block, fail to stick up for their teammates, or dissapear when his team needs him the most.

Pomminville is a good guy with a lot of great qualities, and he's probably the best choice for captain on this team, but he doesn't always represent those three things.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I like Pomminville but this is a league that nice guys always finish last in. Bullies are celebrated champions and skilled nice guys are overlooked. Such is life in a contact sport, where strength and toughness are the only rules.
Bullies and bad guys like Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom and Niedermayer, right?

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Bullies and bad guys like Toews, Crosby, Lidstrom and Niedermayer, right?
I wouldn't lump Crosby in there, he does PLENTY of dirty stuff.

Neidermeyer cried to the media after some lug head heavy weight from Toronto elbowed him in the head in a playoff series, Pomminville wont have to worry about that because he's not good enough for somebody to want and erase him from a playoff series. Needless to say neidermeyer's team wasn't inspired and they didn't win the Cup.

Toews and Lidstrom I like but Pomminville is no Toews or Lidstrom I'm afraid. he can't lead like they can, because he's simply not good enough.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I wouldn't lump Crosby in there, he does PLENTY of dirty stuff.

Neidermeyer cried to the media after some lug head heavy weight from Toronto elbowed him in the head in a playoff series, Pomminville wont have to worry about that because he's not good enough for somebody to want and erase him from a playoff series. Needless to say neidermeyer's team wasn't inspired and they didn't win the Cup.

Toews and Lidstrom I like but Pomminville is no Toews or Lidstrom I'm afraid. he can't lead like they can, because he's simply not good enough.
Pominville not being as good as those guys is an entirely different matter. None of the aforementioned are bad guys or bullies, yet they still captained their teams to Cups. Ergo, your narrative doesn't hold water.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:29 PM
omglolnub

Semi-related nitpick that never fails to grind my gears: Alternate captains, not assistant captains!

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:38 PM
kirby11

I really don't know anyone besides ehrhoff I'd want as an alternate for next year. I'm not sure if myers is going to step up to be a leader, although I hope he does. According to Canucks fans, Hodgson is a natural leader, but it's not like he's known here yet. Maybe a few years down the road he could be an alternate? I'd seriously consider giving one to ellis if he stays here on the 4th line. The guy's all heart, all effort, every single shift, does anything the coach asks of him.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

This team won't go anywhere with this core. When a suitable leader comes around take it from Pominville but for now he will do fine. 5 years of this core, and 0 1st round wins. That's just embarassing. No other team would allow a veteran core like this to remain in tact for this long. I really hope Darcy got his head out of his ass and is going to start making changes.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:17 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkollidas View Post
We have seen this team in the 5 seasons Briere and Drury have been gone and we constantly seem to go back and forth on the team's leadership. The current core doesn't seem to have it.
And 'we' consistently don't know what 'we're' talking about. Fans aren't in the room. You don't know what kind of leaders player's are by watching them on the tee vee 3 nights a week.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:35 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
And 'we' consistently don't know what 'we're' talking about. Fans aren't in the room. You don't know what kind of leaders player's are by watching them on the tee vee 3 nights a week.
You watch your games on the Thomas Vanek?

Seriously, I think in two years Hodgson will be the captain. Just a feeling from what I have heard from the Van fans.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Wisent42

What qualities are we looking for in a captain? I sometimes get the feeling that fans demand it to be a guy that leads the team in scoring points, when he is not picking fights and blocking shots, and upon that he also has to be smart and charismatic and have natural leadership. I'm sorry to break it to you, but there are no unicorns, and Steve Yzerman has retired.

To me a captain is someone who leads by example. Who's always giving and effort and who's always willing to give some more. I loved Drury in the last conference final against Senators when he was hurt twice and still kept going. The second incident was when he blocked a slapshot with his foot and couldn't stand up so he more or less crawled around out there begging for another. That's leadership. Or just stupid.

I saw some of that in Grier, and he was always talked well about by the young guns. (What's he doing now by the way? Is he coaching material?) I thought Gaustad had some of it, but he's gone, and whenever the group changes, the roles also change. A leader could emerge where we least expect it.

And as someone stated above - we don't know what goes on in the locker room. My captain criteria is limited to what I want to see on the ice, and I'm not seing nearly enough from any of the letters on this team.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Blitz
Ei-kill for Eichel..

Pommer's work ethic & positivity make his captaincy work IMO... I wouldn't even bother looking for another Captain until Jason is gone.

What I would do going into next year (of course, this is a total crap-shoot, because as stated we are not in the room) is....

'C' #29 Jason Pominville
'A' #28 Paul Gaustad (re-sign July 1st, 3 yrs @ $2.75M AAV)
'A' #57 Tyler Myers

Do away with the rotating home/road 'A'... pick your ponies and ride em.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote