HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Gomez denies NYI rumors

Old
03-06-2012, 05:07 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Gomez denies NYI rumors

Dave Stubbs ,a writer at habsinsideout.com and the Montreal Gazette,reportedly asked Gomez about the rumor he blocked a trade to the NYI.Gomez denies it.

It's in the tweet section.On the lower right side of the page.

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
StrongIslanders90

I dont know if this is good or bad....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:16 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
It's bad that NYI would acquire him, which is a clear signal that Wang wants to pay less cash with more cap hit. Shocking...

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:31 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
It's good news imo.

I would like to see Snow add a couple of quality vets. but , I don't consider Gomez eating up $5m in actual salary, to be money well spent.

Old
03-06-2012, 06:28 PM
JTforPres2012

Another washed up Devil....

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:34 PM
leaponover

I didn't need confirmation of this. I tried to respond in the other thread but it was closed. Snow has stated time and again, and this is fact, that if he is going to take an overpaid player's salary off someone's hands he expects to also be reimbursed in prospects or picks. He has said in this new NHL with the way salaries are that's his game plan. Now you can argue that Rolston is an example against this but definitely not as bad as a straight Gomez trade would have been.

I know Snow is not the only GM who operates this way.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I didn't need confirmation of this. I tried to respond in the other thread but it was closed. Snow has stated time and again, and this is fact, that if he is going to take an overpaid player's salary off someone's hands he expects to also be reimbursed in prospects or picks. He has said in this new NHL with the way salaries are that's his game plan. Now you can argue that Rolston is an example against this but definitely not as bad as a straight Gomez trade would have been.

Maybe that's Snows plan, but forgive me if that has not been very effective. Considering MTL is a mess, they are gonna give away assets/prospects to take on Gomez? I find that hard to believe. Sounds good in theory, terrible in execution.

blitzkriegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
Maybe that's Snows plan, but forgive me if that has not been very effective. Considering MTL is a mess, they are gonna give away assets/prospects to take on Gomez? I find that hard to believe. Sounds good in theory, terrible in execution.
Exactly, just bolsters my opinion that there was nothing to this in the first place. No way was Snow going to take on Gomez without prospects/picks as well, and no way would MTL give up Gomez and prospects/picks just to dump his salary. There was NEVER anything to this.

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs View Post
It's bad that NYI would acquire him, which is a clear signal that Wang wants to pay less cash with more cap hit. Shocking...
How is it less cash with higher cap hit when Gomez makes 7+ million a year until 2015?

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Ziggy16

gomez's cap hit is 14.5 million per season

Ziggy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:

He also states he operates under no financial constraints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
gomez's cap hit is 14.5 million per season
Whoa, think you've had one too many, buddy, might be time for a cab.

Last edited by Law: 03-06-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:55 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
How is it less cash with higher cap hit when Gomez makes 7+ million a year until 2015?
Gomez's cap hit is about $7.4, but he's making $5.5 and $4.5 the next two years. Basically took less the last few years to lower the avg cap hit. Unless I'm mistaken, the Isles would have theoretically acquired his cap hit -- don't believe that changes regardless of a trade near the end of a contract.

...which is why I can't dismiss this story.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2

Old
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
Gomez's cap hit is about $7.4, but he's making $5.5 and $4.5 the next two years. Basically took less the last few years to lower the avg cap hit. Unless I'm mistaken, the Isles would have theoretically acquired his cap hit -- don't believe that changes regardless of a trade near the end of a contract.

...which is why I can't dismiss this story.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2
You beat me to the punch, but nice concise job. It is just more cap floor subversion by Wang. That is why it is 100% believable. Gomez denying the rumor is predictable. No need to burn a bridge he may need at some point in the future.

Rolston is the living breathing proof that Wang hires short term salary plugs so he doesn't get locked into any long term salary hits above the cap floor.

Sucks to be us.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You beat me to the punch, but nice concise job. It is just more cap floor subversion by Wang. That is why it is 100% believable. Gomez denying the rumor is predictable. No need to burn a bridge he may need at some point in the future.

Rolston is the living breathing proof that Wang hires short term salary plugs so he doesn't get locked into any long term salary hits above the cap floor.

Sucks to be us.
The scary part -- if true -- is that this would have been Rolston's salary with extra cap hit to boot! It's like the subversion light-bulb went off in Chuckles' head -- again, if this was true.

Old
03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
cjdv16

Quote:

Sucks to be us.
Yup.

Look no further than the banter around Kovalchuk and a 1 year, 10 MM per deal.

Short term deals that bring the Isles to the cap floor.

I personally believe that a Gomez deal would be taken if it could be made where the Isles are trying to get to the cap floor.

It's EXACTLY a Wang deal..... save 2MM annually in actual salary while circumventing the cap floor. Any support for the league around such a deal would be an equally large disgrace.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 09:57 PM
periferal

Quote:

Sucks to be us.

I can only hope that the next CBA eliminates ALL cap circumvention (both to the cap and cap floor). That would paint Wang into a corner and I would hope that he'd sell.

Hope.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
I can only hope that the next CBA eliminates ALL cap circumvention (both to the cap and cap floor). That would paint Wang into a corner and I would hope that he'd sell.

Hope.
I've heard some talk of the NHL trying to eliminate escalating (and de-escalating) salaries. Basically, a 3-year $15M deal would have to be paid at $5M/year instead of $10M, $4M, and $1M, etc.

No idea if that has a chance of getting into the CBA, but we'll see.

Old
03-06-2012, 11:12 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post
I've heard some talk of the NHL trying to eliminate escalating (and de-escalating) salaries. Basically, a 3-year $15M deal would have to be paid at $5M/year instead of $10M, $4M, and $1M, etc.

No idea if that has a chance of getting into the CBA, but we'll see.
It would be a nice step, but ultimately the bonus bull has to end. They also need to eliminate buyouts as cap floor filler. The whole reason they have the cap floor in the first place is to prevent cheapskates like the current version of Wang putting out a non competitive roster. These loopholes are shameful.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:37 PM
MJP

why would gomez be a thought on any NHL roster. Wait, .....reasoner

MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:58 PM
Isles Junkie

I'm confused. If he's denying that the reports were true, then doesn't that mean that the Canadiens never went to him asking him to waive his NTC. And if that's the case, then isn't it possible that the NYI never even tried to trade for him?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:02 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Yup.

Look no further than the banter around Kovalchuk and a 1 year, 10 MM per deal.

Short term deals that bring the Isles to the cap floor.

I personally believe that a Gomez deal would be taken if it could be made where the Isles are trying to get to the cap floor.

It's EXACTLY a Wang deal..... save 2MM annually in actual salary while circumventing the cap floor. Any support for the league around such a deal would be an equally large disgrace.
I don't think the Kovalchuk offer compares at all to a Gomez trade.

Kovalchuk was still playing at a high level and was sought after.
He wanted a longterm deal that paid $10m per.The two teams who were pursuing him the hardest were NJ and LA.Neither team was offering close to $10m per and talks between Kovalchuk's reps and those teams had stalled.

Tavares was entering his 2nd pro season and an elite winger could have been a huge boost to his development.It would also have been a pr boost.

No one thinks Gomez is an elite talent. No one thinks he's worth $7.5m or even $5m.No team trading for Gomez expects a pr boost.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:12 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
I'm confused. If he's denying that the reports were true, then doesn't that mean that the Canadiens never went to him asking him to waive his NTC. And if that's the case, then isn't it possible that the NYI never even tried to trade for him?
The fact that no credible source like McKenzie,Botta,Dreger or Staples has said this happened,makes me believe it's bogus.

On the main board,we have a Habs fan boasting he and his buddy made up the rumor,trying to see how many hits they could get for his friend's site.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The fact that no credible source like McKenzie,Botta,Dreger or Staples has said this happened,makes me believe it's bogus.

On the main board,we have a Habs fan boasting he and his buddy made up the rumor,trying to see how many hits they could get for his friend's site.
I saw that too and I chuckled. In this day and age, it's not too hard to fabricate rumors like that and cause an uproar, especially to a fan base as fragile like the Islanders. People like Eklund make a living doing the exact same thing.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Moosie

Quote:
They also need to eliminate buyouts as cap floor filler. The whole reason they have the cap floor in the first place is to prevent cheapskates like the current version of Wang putting out a non competitive roster. These loopholes are shameful.
Yes, they are, but I doubt the "buyouts as cap-filler" rule is eliminated. There seems to be more worry that big ticket teams like Toronto and the Rangers would buyout any and all bad contracts and not be penalized. There aren't too many owners like Wang, who sign players to ridiculously long contracts and then use the buyouts to meet the cap floor. Thank God. Maybe the NHL could add a clause saying that buyouts count against the top of the cap but not the bottom? The Wang Clause. Evil curmudgeon...

Moosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Lenny on Ice

Quote:

Would Montreal do this trade?

Gomez + Subban for Reasoner

It's kind of the same what Nashville and Toronto did (Franson, Lombardi).

Lenny on Ice is offline   Reply With Quote