HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose 5-4

Old
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
Career playoff totals: 15 points. 9 goals. 6 assists.

Your words are based on nothing yet again.
Playing with a much better and tougher team three years ago. Phil's got nobody to hide behind here in Toronto. Didn't he even spend a lot of time playing with Lucic? How is this relevant at all? He's the softiest of the softies on Team Soft these days.

I actually don't totally dislike the guy, but expecting him to be some kind of leader to fire this team into the playoffs is just crazy. Everybody but a few winkies here and Burke himself know that Kessel is never going to be the centrepiece of a contending team.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:53 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
Who wants him back? Seriously, Kessel is the best player to move at the deadline for serious assets, including a centre. He's never going to be a top player on a contending team, but he would be a huge addition to a club going for it all at the deadline next year.

It'll never happen, as Burke's ego is too huge to ever do this. It'd be like admitting he was wrong about something, which just ain't ever gonna happen. But it sure should. Be a huge way to move forward. No other asset on the team worth as much. Burke just killed Grabo's worth with that ridiculous contract, so Kessel is the only guy worth moving for key building blocks.

Such an ugly trade. Especially when you see Seguin. Two more goals tonight. He's a better player than Kessel already.
Just wait until Dougie Hamilton establish's himself. I also think Knight has a chance to be a decent energy player in the league in the Tyler Kennedy mold. I have always liked Kessel as a player but this trade is only going to get worse as the years go by.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
whitera

we made chara look good offensively and a good puck carrier. what a JOKE.

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:58 PM
rj24

Seriously, why does everyone have to bring up "the trade" whenever these two teams play. The past is the past no point talking about what's already done.

rj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

i loved the physical play of kulemin tonight, seen him finish more checks this game then he normally did in 10 combined this year.

Actually, the whole team looks better, even with the loss and mistakes, i like the new feel and structure to how the leafs are playing. More physical.

1st goal was really unlucky, missed defensive coverages on atleast 2 other goals that i seen, i can't blame gustavsson for anything tonight.

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Guster Burton
Rookie User

Quote:
Playing with a much better and tougher team three years ago. Phil's got nobody to hide behind here in Toronto. Didn't he even spend a lot of time playing with Lucic? How is this relevant at all? He's the softiest of the softies on Team Soft these days.
Seguin has been playing with Lucic. I noticed tonight, Lucic and Krejci were doing all the dirty work while Seguin was floating in the open areas. Leafs D were too busy/retarded to cover him. Don't get me wrong, the kid is talented, but it would be interesting to see how he would play on this soft Leaf team. It's not the same when you know that nobody has your back.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kessel played with Ryder and Savard his last year. I could be wrong on that.

Guster Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Who wants him back? Seriously, Kessel is the best player to move at the deadline for serious assets, including a centre. He's never going to be a top player on a contending team, but he would be a huge addition to a club going for it all at the deadline next year.

It'll never happen, as Burke's ego is too huge to ever do this. It'd be like admitting he was wrong about something, which just ain't ever gonna happen. But it sure should. Be a huge way to move forward. No other asset on the team worth as much. Burke just killed Grabo's worth with that ridiculous contract, so Kessel is the only guy worth moving for key building blocks.

Such an ugly trade. Especially when you see Seguin. Two more goals tonight. He's a better player than Kessel already.
Stop rehashing the same Seguin-Kessel trade, it's been done to death, move forward.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
MrLegend28

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Just wait until Dougie Hamilton establish's himself. I also think Knight has a chance to be a decent energy player in the league in the Tyler Kennedy mold. I have always liked Kessel as a player but this trade is only going to get worse as the years go by.
Kessel hit 70 points tonight and thats not good enough.

MrLegend28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guster Burton View Post
Seguin has been playing with Lucic. I noticed tonight, Lucic and Krejci were doing all the dirty work while Seguin was floating in the open areas. Leafs D were too busy/retarded to cover him. Don't get me wrong, the kid is talented, but it would be interesting to see how he would play on this soft Leaf team. It's not the same when you know that nobody has your back.

Also, I'm pretty sure Kessel played with Ryder and Savard his last year. I could be wrong on that.
If Seguin was centering this poor Leafs team (ie. without Kessel), people would call him bust.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Stephen

Quote:
The trade looks worse because the organization needs a Seguin and Hamilton in the worst way, and the Bruins won a cup, but Kessel is a top five point scorer and the third leading goal scorer in the entire league. I think we should enjoy that more than we have collectively. I mean it looks like we'll have a pretty high pick this year to add some skill.

Irony of ironies though, Cam Neely was on Sportsnet today and in his interview, he was saying that Seguin has some work to do with regards to being on the RW and not using his speed to drive wide enough, since he tends to drift to the center of the ice. Sounds like they're trying to create a right wing goal scorer out of him, i.e. Phil Kessel, while we're looking for a center...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:04 AM
whitera

humm seguin > kessel tonight. hows that trade looking for us now...?

whitera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:05 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

P.S i'd rather overpay Grabo by 500k, then give someone like Armstrong 3 mil.

You guys are btiching about 500k on a team leader. Burke would have just overpaid a **** player in free agency by 1 mil

Old
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The trade looks worse because the organization needs a Seguin and Hamilton in the worst way, and the Bruins won a cup, but Kessel is a top five point scorer and the third leading goal scorer in the entire league. I think we should enjoy that more than we have collectively. I mean it looks like we'll have a pretty high pick this year to add some skill.
Like I already said I have always liked Kessel as a player but I really dont like this trade and think its only going to get worse. If the trade was just Kessel for Seguin/Knight then I wouldnt have any problems but I really think Hamilton is going to be a 2 way defensive stud. I should just stop tho because whenever you post anything negative on this board you have a thousand posters jumping on you.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitera View Post
It hasnt looked good for a while and its only gunna look worse in coming years. Exponentially worse.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Charizard
I'm Batman

People need to stop saying that Seguin would've been ours. It's honestly impossible to tell, had Kessel not been traded to us, our season would've looked entirely differently, Who knows we could've been 30th and picked Taylor Hall. Or the more unlikely scenario is we finished higher up. Whose to say we would've drafted Seguin had we still had the pick? Maybe we should start complaining about how "COULD'VE HAD TAYLOR HALL!!!!!!!!!!"

We did not trade Seguin for Kessel. We traded the draft pick, which could've ended up being any player.

Charizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stephen

Quote:
Like I already said I have always liked Kessel as a player but I really dont like this trade and think its only going to get worse. If the trade was just Kessel for Seguin/Knight then I wouldnt have any problems but I really think Hamilton is going to be a 2 way defensive stud. I should just stop tho because whenever you post anything negative on this board you have a thousand posters jumping on you.
Hopefully we get our guy at the draft this June, that will spruce up the organization...

Old
Superstar

Quote:

I actually don't totally dislike the guy, but expecting him to be some kind of leader to fire this team into the playoffs is just crazy. Everybody but a few winkies here and Burke himself know that Kessel is never going to be the centrepiece of a contending team.
Kessel doesn't need to hide behind anybody, he's playing the best hockey of his life against top opposition; and still 5th in league scoring with 70 pts on a crap team, well over a PPG. Only a blind man or a bias person can't see that. Neither Lucic nor Seguin are leaders of their respective team, they are just pieces.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
i am one of the biggest kessel haters known to man and i used to really give it to him on forums here, but let it go.

We get it, the odds are tipped in the Bruins favour. Kessel is better then nothing. My only problem with Kessel is that he gave everyone here false hopes this year by creating the illusion that the leafs were actually a good team this year to everyone but a select few of us.

******* played us right out of a top 3 pick he did.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Hopefully we get our guy at the draft this June, that will spruce up the organization...
Burke seriously needs to look at moving up this year

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Superstar

Quote:
Great point, let's judge it on one game.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:14 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
i am one of the biggest kessel haters known to man and i used to really give it to him on forums here, but let it go.

We get it, the odds are tipped in the Bruins favour. Kessel is better then nothing. My only problem with Kessel is that he gave everyone here false hopes this year by creating the illusion that the leafs were actually a good team this year to everyone but a select few of us.

******* played us right out of a top 3 pick he did.
Theres still hope!

Armstrong out, Lupul possibly out, maybe no Brown... some Marlies call ups.

We're 2 points out of a lottery pick, with a damn tough schedule ahead.

Things look good for "tank nation".

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
weems

Quote:
Whens the last time this organization drafted and developed a impact/star player?

Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Burke seriously needs to look at moving up this year
Just looking around us, it's very possible the Islanders, Carolina and Minnesota finish ahead of us, so without trading up we could be picking as high as fourth, which might make a swap into the top two with Edmonton a nice option if they want a defenseman, to ensure we get Grigorenko or Galchenyuk.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj24 View Post
Seriously, why does everyone have to bring up "the trade" whenever these two teams play. The past is the past no point talking about what's already done.
Because.....if you do not learn from your mistakes you are doomed to repeat them.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Theres still hope!

Armstrong out, Lupul possibly out, maybe no Brown... some Marlies call ups.

We're 2 points out of a lottery pick, with a damn tough schedule ahead.

Things look good for "tank nation".
we need Armstrong in the lineup if we want to get in the top 3

The Man With the Exploding Face