HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

So you wanna record hockey games on your computer?

Old
03-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Fred Murtz

vCash: 500
So you wanna record hockey games on your computer?

For the desktop with DTV or Dish sat, see below posts for cable TV info I got the Haupauge Colossus board from Amazon for $141. http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-Colo...0820652&sr=1-2

It comes with ArcSoft Showbiz software so you can edit the videos if you need to. Add text, chop out chunks you don't need, transitions etc. The card was easy to install with CD software that also has WinTV7 so you can watch Internet TV and control your cable/sat box with an IR blaster kit that is also included.

The card comes with cables to hook to your Xbox/PS3 or STB (Set Top Box), DTV sat box in my case, to your Colossus card in your desktop. You can also record your gaming the same way or Internet TV.

Open the Showbiz software and mash the capture button and you're recording in 1080i HD. It even has a button to publish the video to your YouTube acccount. Slicker then deer guts on a door knob.

To record online stream feeds you can use

Streaming Video Recorder for capturing online video streams like NBC uses for their hockey. It's $39 but they offer a free version if you put 2 plugs for the software on your own webpages.
http://www.apowersoft.com/streaming-video-recorder.html

I tested it out on the NBC Sports stream that uses the Silverlight video player. From downloading the Streaming Video Recorder software to registering it with the key # to recording video took about 10 minutes. The recorder interface window is pretty simple and the defaults settings worked right off the bat. The videos are stored on your hard drive in several formats you can pick from like the Windows Media 9 codec. You can easily record video from media protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, RTSP, RTMP and MMS and support recording file types (flv, swf, mp4, 3gp, asf, mpg, mov, rm, rmvb, wmv, avi, wma, wav, h264...)

Video. For capturing the video the options are you can record in full screen, select a window, custom area or around the mouse. You can also just capture audio only if you want. You can also record Internet TV from all the popular online video sharing sites and Internet TV channels.

Audio. The audio sounds pretty good using your onboard sound system or you can input an external mic or both. Output is Windows Media Audio 10 Professional. I'm running a laptop with this software and the sound is good

Other Features. You can set up hotkeys to turn the recorder on and off. You can also turn the mouse cursor on or off if you don't want to record it. You can record multiple streams at the same time too which would come in handy during times when there are 2 games you want to watch and/or record at the same time.

File Converter. There is also a file converter function which comes in handy when wanting to change a video file to a different file format like say an Apple .avi to Windows Media .wmv. It provides you the ability to convert each video into any popular format such as MP4, AVI, WMV, 3GP, VOB, MOV, MPG, MP3, WMA, etc for your iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune, or other portable devices.

Other Free Options. If you're pinching the pennies and need free you can look into Microsoft's Expression Encoder 4 software. This is a freebie that you can upgrade to pro level that is a lot more in depth for creating and editing videos and broadcasting them using Silverlight. It has a streaming video capture ability like the Streaming Video Recorder above. I monkeyed with it a bit but couldn't get the bit rates and codecs working in a short time for the Blackhawk game I wanted to record so I bought the Streaming Video Recorder above. Here is the link to Microsoft's Expression Encoder 4 software. http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=18974

Gotchas. I see no way to set this recorder like a DVR to time shift a recording. I'll keep researching to see if there is something out there that can tune a website and start the recording all by itself. That would be the cat's pajamas for the games that are blacked out due to national broadcast or for those who only have the overseas streams to watch for an option. WinTV7 software can do this for online TV channels if you need that and it's free.

Late revision. Just found Debut which is free for non commercial use. http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/#101. It has a scheduler, not sure if that will record a URL with a stream on it. Also has a frame gab feature to grab still pics from videos.

Gizmos reviews on free stream recording software. http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...rder.htm#Debut

That's all from video boy for this week.

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 03-04-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Fred Murtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:34 PM
theripper

if youre in the U.s, you can just buy a $5 firewire pci card,and a $2 firewire cable,and connect your STB to your PC by firewire,and record it with a large assortment of software. nice and cheap. its fcc regulation that every cable box contain the firewire port.

in canada,not so much. im pretty sure shaw,bell and rogers disable firewire

theripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Eaglepride*

Great thread thank you for the idea. Gonna look at the software.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Fred Murtz

theripper, what capture software are you using or do you recommend? Thanks

Old
03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post
if youre in the U.s, you can just buy a $5 firewire pci card,and a $2 firewire cable,and connect your STB to your PC by firewire,and record it with a large assortment of software. nice and cheap. its fcc regulation that every cable box contain the firewire port.

Not quite. The FCC mandates that cable companies provide a cable box that outputs a signal on the 1394 port on request, but they have no requirement that the output be unencrypted. PCs can't record the encrypted signals, they're meant for ancient and mostly forgotten D-VHS VCRs. Most cable companies will not encrypt the local channels, some will leave basic cable unencrypted. But speciality channels like Centre Ice are usually encrypted. Kinda sucks unless your cable company is lazy and doesn't encrypt anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectr17 View Post
theripper, what capture software are you using or do you recommend? Thanks
Try CapDVHS. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/CapDVHS

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by theripper View Post

Thats what I do, its kind of a pain to get the firewire drivers working in Windows though. I use a separate machine running XP to do it. This guide is pretty good if anyone needs one:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695

One of the new cable card tuners would work better than the capture card listed, you wouldn't need to record and convert simultaneously which would be too much for a lot of systems at 1080i.

Last edited by dafoomie: 03-03-2012 at 11:33 PM.
dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Fred Murtz

I should have been clearer on my first post, this was for a DTV sat dish setup. My STB for DTV has no firewire port, only HDMI which is scrambled & a component output. I'm feeding the Haupauge Colossus video capture card off the component output from the DTV STB.

Thanks dafoomie, I'm a fan of you YT channel and just getting started in the video stuff.

For those of us on DTV or Dish sat, from what I read a cable card tuner WILL NOT work for us. Is this correct?

Thanks matchpenalty.

For those wondering about my new setup for editing HD video, gaming and using CS5 for editing images. CS5 can only use certain graphics cards to take advantage of their new software so check Adobe first if building.

Asus P8Z68 V Gen 3 mobo (sata 6 capable, USB 3.0) - $180
Intel i7 2600k CPU (no overclocking, stock CPU fan) (may overclock) - $300
Kingston 8 g ddr memory - $40
Corsair 400R case - $100
Corsair TX750w power supply - $100
EVGA GeForce GTX570 graphics board - $325
Intel 160g SSD (boot drive and OS only) it screams - $400
Seagate 3tb Barracude 7200 hd for storage (maybe going to RAID a 2nd drive) - $200
Acer 24" flat panel $150
Logitech MK700/MK710 wireless mouse and keyboard $70
Haupauge Colossus video capture card $141

About $2K for everything from Frye's and Amazon

During the build.

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 03-05-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Yeah, for satellite you'd need the component capture.

I still use an AMD system I built years ago. But I'd look at the K series version of that processor so you can overclock.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:47 AM
Fred Murtz

The CPU is a K unit so I'm good to go there.

On switching to cable TV to record my hockey using a cable card (m card), I just found out my cable provider TW (Time Warner) has turned on the copyright once flag (DRM) so using a cable card is a no go for me now. Need to check Fios to see what they offer here.

On the Haupauge Colossus user guide it says 1080i only through the HDMI input. Yesterday while flipping channels the Center Ice feed was 1280x720 but then I hit another channel and the component feed showed 1920x1080i. What is the HD rez for Center Ice feed off DTV sat? I googled it and couldn't find the answer. Would my recorded hockey games make much difference recorded at 1080i compared to the 720i I'm doing now?

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 03-05-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
matCH penalty

Quote:
What is the HD rez for Center Ice feed off DTV sat? I googled it and couldn't find the answer.
It varies based on the feed. Some networks use 720p, others use 1080i. IIRC, Fox and CBC use 720p, and NBC uses 1080i, but I could be wrong. Either way, the card will up/downconvert before it encodes, so it doesn't really matter that much. You're recording an analog signal with a consumer encoder (and DirecTV re-encodes their feeds at a lower resolution anyway), so I doubt anyone could tell the difference between native 1080i and unconverted 1080i.

Quote:
Would my recorded hockey games make much difference recorded at 1080i compared to the 720i I'm doing now?
This is purely subjective, but in my experience with the HD PVR (which, I think, has the same H.264 encoder as the Colossus), heavy action like hockey works better on 720p with the bitrate set to maximum. Video nerd stuff on HF. Who knew?

matCH penalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Fred Murtz

match, I watched the NBC SPorts feed of the Jets game and it was 1080i. The capture and render with Arcsoft Showbiz software rendered to 720 with a frame rate of 30 so is that 720i or 720p? I should pull that into Sony VEgas to see if i can even render that to 1080.

720p with the bitrate cranked up, got it thanks.

Nerds rule

Old
03-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Saved*

Why the heck would you buy a gt570 when you can get a 7870 for cheaper and it benchmarks better?

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:42 AM
Fred Murtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saved View Post
Why the heck would you buy a gt570 when you can get a 7870 for cheaper and it benchmarks better?
I use Adobe CS5 for video and image editing. They have a short list of graphics boards that play well with their new technology in CS5. The 7870 was not on their test list.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html

Last edited by Fred Murtz: 03-07-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old
03-07-2012, 02:55 AM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Team Domingue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saved View Post
Where?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote