HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs lose 5-4

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2012, 02:10 AM
  #476
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
The guy hadn't played more than 60 games in 5 seasons!

And he had a 127 point season in Buffalo, and another 100 point season in Vancouver!

I'm not saying he wasn't a good player, he was great for us, and for New Jersey but he was past his prime for sure.

The question was when was the last time the Leafs signed a player in his prime, with his best years still ahead of him, at the top of his game.

The answer to that is Curtis Joseph.
Yes to Joesph he was a huge player for us.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:11 AM
  #477
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Thats sad but hey we can always sign a bunch of star players thru free agency right?

Ooops forgot this franchise doesnt even have that going for them. When was the last time this franchise signed a legit in there prime free agent? Im talking like all star or elite type talent.
Didn't say it was a great list.

Only UFA in their prime would be Cujo. Mogilny was well past his prime.

Trades - Sundin (24), Gilmour (28), Andreychuk (28).

That's it.

Burke had a huge window of opportunity and ******* it up. Had he been patient in years 1-3 and built through the draft, the fans/ownership/media would be a lot more sympathetic to what he's trying to accomplish.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:16 AM
  #478
Jacobsheets1
Registered User
 
Jacobsheets1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Yes to Joesph he was a huge player for us.

Jacobsheets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:22 AM
  #479
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Last great player we Drafted ....Clark

Last Great Free Agent signing Cujo

Both played for Notre Dame

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:23 AM
  #480
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Last great player we Drafted ....Clark

Last Great Free Agent signing Cujo

Both played for Notre Dame
Christian Hanson?


topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:24 AM
  #481
Ratboy
Tank?
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
You guys, Mogilny was dirty in NHL 2004, I don't know WHAT you're going on about.


Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:30 AM
  #482
Ratboy
Tank?
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Lol Gary Roberts was 34 and had already "retired" from the NHL once. Missed a full season with a back injury. Not his prime.

Mogilny was 32 and was already well past his prime. Choochoo put up two 100+ point seasons 7 years before the leafs signed him and hadn't played more than 60 games in 5 seasons. Broken down and past his prime.

I'm curious as to how old you are... cause I'm in my early 20's and know that Roberts and Mogilny had very solid careers long before they became leafs.
I just turned 3.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:37 AM
  #483
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,414
vCash: 500
So basically every 20 years we will draft and develop a star player and once every 10 years we will sign a major impact free agent?


weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:37 AM
  #484
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
I just turned 3.
NICE.

Playin' NHL 2004 from the womb. Thats a serious gamer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So basically every 20 years we will draft and develop a star player and once every 10 years we will sign a major impact free agent?

Its not really a Toronto Maple Leafs thing, we've just had it happen to us w/ GM's over and over again. We haven't ever underachieved enough to develop star level talent, or kept that star level talent long enough to let it develop.

Hopefully things change in the near future.

When we develop solid internal talent, and prove that we're no longer a young "up and coming" team, and actually a playoff calibre team on the verge of contention.... the FA's will line up.

Until then.... WE WAIT.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:37 AM
  #485
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Christian Hanson?


Notre Dame College ( high school in Saskatchewan )

Clark, Russ Cortnall, Gary Leaman, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards, Vincent Lecavalier, Jordan Eberle, and so many more.

This year 3 Hounds are ranked in the First round currently,
Morgan Rielly, Slater Koekkoek, and Stefan Matteau.....

This place is referred to as a hockey Factory. This past World Jr teams Captain and assistant Captain were Hounds as well. Schwartz, Gormley both first rounders as well.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:40 AM
  #486
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Notre Dame College ( high school in Saskatchewan )

Clark, Russ Cortnall, Gary Leaman, Rod Brind'Amour, Brad Richards, Vincent Lecavalier, Jordan Eberle, and so many more.

This year 3 Hounds are ranked in the First round currently,
Morgan Rielly, Slater Koekkoek, and Stefan Matteau.....

This place is referred to as a hockey Factory. This past World Jr teams Captain and assistant Captain were Hounds as well. Schwartz, Gormley both first rounders as well.
Ahah... didn't put that together.

The Shattuck of the west... er should I say, the original Canadian hockey prep school. I know it well.

Don't know how I made that boneheaded move

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:42 AM
  #487
Ratboy
Tank?
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So basically every 20 years we will draft and develop a star player and once every 10 years we will sign a major impact free agent?

yes. we are completely ****ed. but man, what a gong show it is!

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:43 AM
  #488
diceman934
Registered User
 
diceman934's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NHL player factory
Posts: 6,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Ahah... didn't put that together.

The Shattuck of the west, I know it well.

Don't know how I made that boneheaded move
LOL...no worries. I work there.....so I know it well, I moved from Ontario to work here.....been on the ice with a lot of great players.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:45 AM
  #489
weems
Registered User
 
weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
yes. we are completely ****ed. but man, what a gong show it is!
Just gotta sit back and laugh sometimes.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:49 AM
  #490
Ratboy
Tank?
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Just gotta sit back and laugh sometimes.
i just think someone really, really has it in for toronto as a city in general. maybe harolds ghost.

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:58 AM
  #491
Vintage93
Registered User
 
Vintage93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So basically every 20 years we will draft and develop a star player and once every 10 years we will sign a major impact free agent?

... sounds like we're due

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:00 AM
  #492
orcatown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
FIRE CARLYLE


God I live for the day when Toronto will stomp the Bruins

btw how far is Burke down the check list

Blame the media
Blame the fans (like waaaaay too much pressure on the players)
Blame the goaltenders (or the fans for creating a goalie graveyard)
Blame the refs (like being Sedin does mean hit me continually in the face)
Blame the media again
Blame the Coach
Blame Nonis
Blame the media some more

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:47 AM
  #493
Ratboy
Tank?
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
FIRE CARLYLE


God I live for the day when Toronto will stomp the Bruins

btw how far is Burke down the check list

Blame the media
Blame the fans (like waaaaay too much pressure on the players)
Blame the goaltenders (or the fans for creating a goalie graveyard)
Blame the refs (like being Sedin does mean hit me continually in the face)
Blame the media again
Blame the Coach
Blame Nonis
Blame the media some more

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:19 AM
  #494
bleeney
Registered User
 
bleeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,834
vCash: 500
Gardiner was bloody awful last night.

I hope that Carlyle can get through to him that playing defense means that sometimes you actually have to be physical, or take a hit to make the play.

Early in the game he watched the puck and let a guy skate right through him.

On one of Caron's goals he stood right beside him but didn't lay a finger on him.

Several times he just blindly gave the puck away when he was going to get hit.

He's got lots of talent, good size, but he's playing way, way too soft.

bleeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:35 AM
  #495
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeney View Post
Gardiner was bloody awful last night.

I hope that Carlyle can get through to him that playing defense means that sometimes you actually have to be physical, or take a hit to make the play.

Early in the game he watched the puck and let a guy skate right through him.

On one of Caron's goals he stood right beside him but didn't lay a finger on him.

Several times he just blindly gave the puck away when he was going to get hit.

He's got lots of talent, good size, but he's playing way, way too soft.
Gardiners' flaws will be exploited big time in a Carlyle system. However, it will only be good for his overall development.

I thought Grabovski was the best player on the ice for both teams. It's nice to see that his new (huge) contract won't hinder his performance. The guy was a beast last night.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:42 AM
  #496
jerrywally23*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafTroll View Post
Kessel had 60 points and 36 goals in 70 games when he was 21.
Kessel: was Born in Oct 1987 - in April 2008 the 20 year old Kessel finished his second NHL season with 19 Goals 18 Assist for 37 Points

Seguin: is in his Second Season he already has 24 Goals and 30 Assist, 54 Points, he is on pace for 30 Goals and 37 Assist

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
  #497
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywally23 View Post
Kessel: was Born in Oct 1987 - in April 2008 the 20 year old Kessel finished his second NHL season with 19 Goals 18 Assist for 37 Points

Seguin: is in his Second Season he already has 24 Goals and 30 Assist, 54 Points, he is on pace for 30 Goals and 37 Assist
Seguin has played his first two seasons on the best team in the league. Scott Gomez could have similar numbers (THAT WAS A JOKE).

But really, the Bruins are a good team. I would imagine Seguin's numbers would be similar to Kessels first 2 seasons if Boston was at the same level as they were when they drafted Kessel at 5th overall.

Get out of here.

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:06 AM
  #498
tg12345*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
Yes I already am but I am a DIEHARD Leaf fan and i mean i live and breath it every single day .. But you have to see when the grass is greener on the other side do we really want to push just to make 9th place again and draft 11th overall why there is no point
Sigh...this is exactly what will happen...

tg12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:15 AM
  #499
jerrywally23*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
Seguin has played his first two seasons on the best team in the league. Scott Gomez could have similar numbers (THAT WAS A JOKE).

But really, the Bruins are a good team. I would imagine Seguin's numbers would be similar to Kessels first 2 seasons if Boston was at the same level as they were when they drafted Kessel at 5th overall.

Get out of here.
Boston had a good team Kessel's second NHL season, I believe Krejci was on the same line as Kessel. all I'm saying is you can't compare a players 6th season stats to a player that has only been in the league 2 years. you have to compare season by season, 1st vs 1st, and so on

jerrywally23* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:22 AM
  #500
tg12345*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raym11 View Post
Actually, the whole team looks better, even with the loss and mistakes, i like the new feel and structure to how the leafs are playing. More physical.
I 100% agree with this. Even though they lost, at least it looked like intelligent hockey. So happy that Wilson is gone...not sure what took so ****ing long, but whatever.

tg12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.