HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Cole's influence on Max Pacioretty

Old
03-07-2012, 01:37 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Erik Cole's influence on Max Pacioretty

Thought I'd get a more positive thread going. We all knew that Erik Cole would be a good role model for Max. Both have a lot in common. Both are American, both are big, speedy, goal-scoring forwards and both have had near career ending neck injuries. It really is amazing how much alike they truly are.

Up until recently, I wouldn't really see Max put his shoulder down and drive the net, but in the last few games he's put some of his own Erik Cole style rushes to the crease. Anyone else notice this?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Thought I'd get a more positive thread going. We all knew that Erik Cole would be a good role model for Max. Both have a lot in common. Both are American, both are big, speedy, goal-scoring forwards and both have had near career ending neck injuries. It really is amazing how much alike they truly are.

Up until recently, I wouldn't really see Max put his shoulder down and drive the net, but in the last few games he's put some of his own Erik Cole style rushes to the crease. Anyone else notice this?
I completely agree with this! Best thing that could happen to a young player with that much potential is to play with someone who he should be like. What's even greater is Cole's personality who embraces this and takes the kid under his wing. A great match! Can we thank Gauthier for this one at least?

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
I love Erik Cole. Such a great veteran and seems to be liked by all the members here which is rare especially for an older guy.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:59 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

reason why teams need good, positive veterans. but some say we should trade him and gionta so i

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:07 AM
Cyclones Rock

Agreed with everything which everyone has already said.

I think that Cole's influence has been just as important to the other linemate as well. Desharnais could not have asked for a better mentor. Cole communicates very well with both of these young guys. Just watching them on the bench sometimes is neat to see.

It will be interesting to see if this line remains intact at the beginning of next season. With all the likely changes (coach, UFA signings, high first round pick on squad), I'd think that Cole will have a great deal of input into whether the line stays together or not.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:44 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

i hope they try some other combos in the preseason, just to figure out some options, but yeah that line should be back.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:11 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
I love Erik Cole. Such a great veteran and seems to be liked by all the members here which is rare especially for an older guy.
I don't agree with that. Gill and Spacek, just to name the two most recent older guys, were loved by the team. If anything I would say that this team embraces veterans.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I don't agree with that. Gill and Spacek, just to name the two most recent older guys, were loved by the team. If anything I would say that this team embraces veterans.
Not sure if you've dressed for the Habs lately but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the opinions on the forum not the team.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumoki Dachiba View Post
Not sure if you've dressed for the Habs lately but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the opinions on the forum not the team.
Yes I was.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Lshap

Cole is a great influence on the entire organization. Seriously - we haven't had a real power forward in so bloody long, we'd forgotten what one looked like. Watching his style of play has been an epiphany. It's like the light bulb went on and everyone said, "Oh yeah! THAT'S what we've been missing!".

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:19 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Erik Cole was basically the perfect signing for this team, and he's elevated Pacioretty to a legitimate 30 goal scorer. Erik Cole is everything that's right with this organization in a time where there's a whole lot of wrong.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Lafleurs Guy

I didn't like the Cole signing. I liked the kind of player he was and I felt like it was good that we were signing a larger player but I figured he was over the hill and didn't really see the point of getting him.

He's been much better than I expected and I really like this guy. I don't know if he's had much of an impact on MaxPac but he definitely is the kind of guy that Max should pattern himself after. These are the kinds of players that I'd like to see us drafting.

Big, strong, nose for the net, heart... One of PG's better moves.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

I think in terms of leadership, Cole has been extremely valuable to Pacioretty's growth as a professional, mostly off the ice. Both had similar injuries and to have someone like Cole there for questions and as a mentor is extremely beneficial. Erik Cole plays more of the power forward game, lots of hits, power moves, difficult to move off the puck, etc. I hope some of these things eventually find their way into Patches' game but for now, his game is more skillful, and sniper-esque. He's a shooter first and foremost, so I would say Erik Cole's impact doesn't stretch too much into the on-ice stuff except for when it comes to preparation and maturation as a player.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Pacioretty needs to work on power skating this off-season, but he's been playing like a real bad ass these past 10 games. He's learning to be more assertive and looks much more hungry for the puck than ever before.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Absolutely agree, overlords.

One thing he needs to work on now is his top speed. He has some good acceleration going, but his top speed is a notch below Cole's. But you're right, lately he's been lowering the shoulder, protecting the puck with his body and driving to the net. I noticed he did it once or twice during the Leafs game on Saturday. He's also becoming a stronger player along the boards, winning a lot more battles than he did at the start of the season.

Cole's leadership on and off the ice over the next year or two is really going to shape Pacioretty into a 30+ goal scorer for the Habs.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
maci4life

For all of the habs issues this year, Cole has been a very bright light.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Cole had a similar influence on Skinner last year. Though they Cole and Skinner don't have similar playing styles, he kind of took Skinner under his wing and was a great mentor for him for most of last season. Glad to see he's having a similar effect on Pacioretty.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 50
i love the signing right from the moment i saw it on TSN.ca
i remenber that moment too

i was in my hotel room at niagara falls and i just got back from outside. I went in my room to start up my laptop went to TSN.ca and when i saw we signed him i jumped for joy

funny how i was just joking with my sister when we were walking that we just signed Erik Cole to fool her

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 08:44 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
Cole had a similar influence on Skinner last year. Though they Cole and Skinner don't have similar playing styles, he kind of took Skinner under his wing and was a great mentor for him for most of last season. Glad to see he's having a similar effect on Pacioretty.
i remember when cole played to bring leblanc parents to the west coast to see him play.

that's the kind of veteran leadership any team should have.

and he's ****ing awesome too so

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:01 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
AK-Desharnais-Cole

Now that Cole is done rubbing his influence on Pacioretty, sign AK, put him on that line and hope it works. Let Plekanec get some love by playing him with Pacioretty and Gionta.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote