HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Washington's 1st round pick (12th or 13th) + Prospect Galiev to Montreal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2012, 07:26 PM
  #76
ginovegas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,150
vCash: 500
Seriously if a 30 year old UFA Paul Gaustad can get you a 1st rounder
Plekanec a 29 year old (locked in for 4 more years) top 2C that can fill as a 1C and a premiere penalty killer in the league shoudl fetch at least a 1st +++

ginovegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:08 PM
  #77
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
I have no problem discussing "value of" trades. I have a lot of problems losing our top center for a mid 1st and a winger prospect. We have enough on the wingsacioretty, Cole, Gionta, and Bourque will be our top 6 wingers. We need a big center for our top 6. As such, Galiev does nothing for us that addresses our actual needs. Johansson is a big potentially good/great center. If we trade Plekanec, we have to address an area of NEED over an area that isn't a big problem. Heck, I would rather give a shot to Gallagher than to lose Plekanec for Galiev and a pick.

So, lose our best center for a young center with equivalent or better upside is something I wouldn't cry over. Losing our best center for Galiev??? The pick is not enough to tempt me to do it. Need position over stacked position is more tempting.
He's turning 30 this year and we're 2-3 years away from challenging. Rather than wait until he's 33, I'd rather draft a Gaunce and take a player like Galiev who can fill out our top 6 in a few years with far more promising youth. Adding a Galchenyuk, Gaunce and Galiev to our prospect pool would do wonders for our future. Far more than having Plekanec for 3 years during our lowest point in the last 20+ years.

Come on, I mean Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Eller, Cole, Galiev, Gaunce, Gallagher and Desharnais is an awesome core of top 6 players. Even if a few only become 3rd liners, we're way ahead.


Last edited by Ginu: 03-04-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:36 PM
  #78
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I guess we're close because we have Pleks + Nashville's 2nd round in 2012 for the Capitals' 12th overall + Galiev. It seems like it's fair value.
Honestly, what the **** is this ******** proposal. Galiev is a 3rd rounder and although he's a good 3rd pick, he's definetely not worth a 2nd. This leaves us with Plekanec for a 1st. Do you honestly ****ing think a 1st round pick is worth a player like Plekanec. How good are the odds that this player becomes a consistant 55-60 point player with shutdown capability ?? Ask yourself this, does this team become better by doing this trade. The answer is no.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 03:32 AM
  #79
Capathetic
Registered User
 
Capathetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,621
vCash: 500
Dont want Pleks. The caps pick is getting better by the game and one of those big three centers (Grig,Galch,Guance)will look good in dc. The extra first adds flexability to get pretty much the guy they want.

Gmgm might do the col first for Tinordi however if you still want that coveted extra 1st.

Capathetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:55 AM
  #80
Halpysback*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynj View Post
Dont want Pleks. The caps pick is getting better by the game and one of those big three centers (Grig,Galch,Guance)will look good in dc. The extra first adds flexability to get pretty much the guy they want.

Gmgm might do the col first for Tinordi however if you still want that coveted extra 1st.
God no

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  #81
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Honestly, what the **** is this ******** proposal. Galiev is a 3rd rounder and although he's a good 3rd pick, he's definetely not worth a 2nd. This leaves us with Plekanec for a 1st. Do you honestly ****ing think a 1st round pick is worth a player like Plekanec. How good are the odds that this player becomes a consistant 55-60 point player with shutdown capability ?? Ask yourself this, does this team become better by doing this trade. The answer is no.
In the long run considering his age, yes. He doesn't offer us anything right now that takes us over the top. A good defensive center is a great thing to have, but for what? We struggle to make 8th every season and we don't challenge. He's wasted here right now. It's unfortunate but it's the reality. When he's 33 and we have a chance to challenge after having our core of Pacioretty, Price, PK and Galchenyuk / Grigorenko, that's when we need someone like him who's ~ 27. Right now, we're on different paths.


Last edited by Ginu: 03-05-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
  #82
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
In the long run considering his age, yes. He doesn't offer us anything right now that takes us over the top. A good defensive center is a great thing to have, but for what? We struggle to make 8th every season and we don't challenge. He's wasted here right now. It's unfortunate but it's the reality. When he's 33 and we have a chance to challenge after having our core of Pacioretty, Price, PK and Galchenyuk / Grigorenko, that's when we need someone like him who's ~ 27. Right now, we're on different paths.
We are having a bad season. We do NOT need a complete rebuild. A new center who is big and capable would be nice, but to trade Plekanec for a 1st and some winger when we do not need a winger that might be ready in 3 years is a waste of an asset. Instead, let's keep Plekanec and see how he, Bourque, and Gionta pan out. It will be nice to have a big winger who can score alongside Plekanec and Gionta. We already have a solid 1st line with DD, Cole, and Pacioretty. We have a decent 3rd line with Eller, Moen, and Gallagher/Kristo/Leblanc/Geoffrion. Our 4th line could be solid with White, Staubitz, and whatever free agent center we pick up in the offseason. This way we get to draft a potential 1st line center in Grigorenko/flavour of the day where we pick AND still field a team capable of competing. Heck, we might even be able to upgrade our 2nd line wing situation in free agency.

In other words, we do NOT need to blow the team up, we simply need to tweak what we have. Our team is not as bad as this season's record indicates. If you want to make things worse so we tank for a few years and drive all of the desire out of our young guys, then you trade Plekanec for a mid 1st and some 3rd round prospect who hasn't touched the NHL, yet. Personally, I want to see where we are at by the draft, keep our best assets unless we can trade them for a clear and present upgrade, and develop what we have.

Now, if we DO trade Plekanec for futures, then we need to target a "futures" like Johansson. A big, young center who has a few NHL games under his belt. We may not get him, but that is who you look for along with a 1st (and maybe accept a salary dump like Hamrlik in return as part of the deal). If we trade one of our best assets, we better get a Buffalo style return, meaning far more than what you just accepted. Believe me, the offers that Hawks fans were willing to put forward for Plekanec was far better than Galiev and a 1st. Both Washington and Chicago would benefit greatly from a second line center like Plekanec. So, make sure we get the proper assets for him. Galiev is NOT that asset.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
  #83
Jedgi
Registered User
 
Jedgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
That works. Habs get younger and a top end prospect, Caps get #2 C, and a top 5 draft pick in '13.
Done in quite an instant. If possible getting MacKinnon on the would be amazing.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
  #84
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post
Done in quite an instant. If possible getting MacKinnon on the would be amazing.
Of course Caps would do this, they'd be fleecing Gauthier big time. But this is nowhere close to Plekanec's value.

Original quoted post by Jedgi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan419 View Post
I would say Galiev and the 12th or 13th overall pick for Plekanec and Montreal's first pick in 2013 would get it done.
That's basically saying 1st 2012 for 1st 2013 (value being rather equal), and then Plekanec for Galiev (lol).

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:59 PM
  #85
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
We are having a bad season. We do NOT need a complete rebuild. A new center who is big and capable would be nice, but to trade Plekanec for a 1st and some winger when we do not need a winger that might be ready in 3 years is a waste of an asset. Instead, let's keep Plekanec and see how he, Bourque, and Gionta pan out. It will be nice to have a big winger who can score alongside Plekanec and Gionta. We already have a solid 1st line with DD, Cole, and Pacioretty. We have a decent 3rd line with Eller, Moen, and Gallagher/Kristo/Leblanc/Geoffrion. Our 4th line could be solid with White, Staubitz, and whatever free agent center we pick up in the offseason. This way we get to draft a potential 1st line center in Grigorenko/flavour of the day where we pick AND still field a team capable of competing. Heck, we might even be able to upgrade our 2nd line wing situation in free agency.

In other words, we do NOT need to blow the team up, we simply need to tweak what we have. Our team is not as bad as this season's record indicates. If you want to make things worse so we tank for a few years and drive all of the desire out of our young guys, then you trade Plekanec for a mid 1st and some 3rd round prospect who hasn't touched the NHL, yet. Personally, I want to see where we are at by the draft, keep our best assets unless we can trade them for a clear and present upgrade, and develop what we have.

Now, if we DO trade Plekanec for futures, then we need to target a "futures" like Johansson. A big, young center who has a few NHL games under his belt. We may not get him, but that is who you look for along with a 1st (and maybe accept a salary dump like Hamrlik in return as part of the deal). If we trade one of our best assets, we better get a Buffalo style return, meaning far more than what you just accepted. Believe me, the offers that Hawks fans were willing to put forward for Plekanec was far better than Galiev and a 1st. Both Washington and Chicago would benefit greatly from a second line center like Plekanec. So, make sure we get the proper assets for him. Galiev is NOT that asset.
I'm not saying we need a complete rebuild. Trading one player who's 30 this year isn't a rebuild and it's not blowing the team up either. What I am saying is that we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and our 1st from this year coming up and earning a spot in the next 2 years. Next season we won't be challenging, although we'll be where we were last year. So we still have to think 2-3 years down the road when our good prospects start joining the team. Until then, we'll be in a circle of 8th or 9th. The goal is to win the Cup, not make the playoffs.

Nobody will convince me that we shouldn't deal Plekanec because he's the only center asset that will bring any value. You can't deny that. Neither Eller nor Desharnais will bring us a return worthwhile of making a move. And they're young. Plekanec, on the other hand, as you said is one of our BEST assets. It would be ludicrous to not consider trading a 30 year old when we're 2-3 years away from challenging. I would take a Galiev and Gaunce for him, or a McNeil out of Chicago. They're the only two teams that are looking for 2nd line centers.

We gain nothing by keeping Plekanec because we won't be challenging by the time he's 33. I know people like to hang onto their favorite players but we've been poor with asset management in the past. Keeping an aging player in our current position is stupid.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:37 AM
  #86
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I'm not saying we need a complete rebuild. Trading one player who's 30 this year isn't a rebuild and it's not blowing the team up either. What I am saying is that we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and our 1st from this year coming up and earning a spot in the next 2 years. Next season we won't be challenging, although we'll be where we were last year. So we still have to think 2-3 years down the road when our good prospects start joining the team. Until then, we'll be in a circle of 8th or 9th. The goal is to win the Cup, not make the playoffs.

Nobody will convince me that we shouldn't deal Plekanec because he's the only center asset that will bring any value. You can't deny that. Neither Eller nor Desharnais will bring us a return worthwhile of making a move. And they're young. Plekanec, on the other hand, as you said is one of our BEST assets. It would be ludicrous to not consider trading a 30 year old when we're 2-3 years away from challenging. I would take a Galiev and Gaunce for him, or a McNeil out of Chicago. They're the only two teams that are looking for 2nd line centers.

We gain nothing by keeping Plekanec because we won't be challenging by the time he's 33. I know people like to hang onto their favorite players but we've been poor with asset management in the past. Keeping an aging player in our current position is stupid.
I would wager that if Eller progresses again next season into a 50 pt two way centre, Desharnais continues as is and Timmins selects Grigorenko/Galchenyuk and they show they are capable of top 9 play in the NHL right away, then I could see Plekanec being traded.

He would also fetch a solid return as well (see 1st + good prospect....in a bidding war 1st+high end prospect). Especially when we see a dramatic increase in his statistics next season when he is given a little less ice-time keeping him more rested and he has better quality offensive wingers (Bourque, Gionta, etc).

But unless that scenario plays out I can't see a move.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
  #87
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by contour View Post
What's the problem with Plekanec? I thought he was a perfect 2nd line center for Montreal.
He is but our fanbase has lost it with this disappointing year. There is a desire in some fans to trade anyone who had a disappointing year even if they forget Pleks has had 18 different combos of wingers this year.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:13 AM
  #88
medrik29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I would do Laich + 1st for Plekanec in a heartbeat!!!

medrik29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 10:41 PM
  #89
Drydenwasthebest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
I'm not saying we need a complete rebuild. Trading one player who's 30 this year isn't a rebuild and it's not blowing the team up either. What I am saying is that we have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Gallagher and our 1st from this year coming up and earning a spot in the next 2 years. Next season we won't be challenging, although we'll be where we were last year. So we still have to think 2-3 years down the road when our good prospects start joining the team. Until then, we'll be in a circle of 8th or 9th. The goal is to win the Cup, not make the playoffs.

Nobody will convince me that we shouldn't deal Plekanec because he's the only center asset that will bring any value. You can't deny that. Neither Eller nor Desharnais will bring us a return worthwhile of making a move. And they're young. Plekanec, on the other hand, as you said is one of our BEST assets. It would be ludicrous to not consider trading a 30 year old when we're 2-3 years away from challenging. I would take a Galiev and Gaunce for him, or a McNeil out of Chicago. They're the only two teams that are looking for 2nd line centers.

We gain nothing by keeping Plekanec because we won't be challenging by the time he's 33. I know people like to hang onto their favorite players but we've been poor with asset management in the past. Keeping an aging player in our current position is stupid.
While I don't advocate trading Plekanec, I am not averse to it either. The difference is in our perceived value of him. He is worth more than a mid-1st and Galiev. He only gets traded in a package for an upgrade at center (I.E: Staal, Getzlaf, or some veteran of that calibre) or for a package including a 1st and a center prospect with some NHL experience.

By the way, claiming someone is over-the-hill and not worth having on your team at the age of 33 is just silly. It is called veteran leadership and experience. Strangely enough, it is the kind of thing you want on your team for a serious Cup run, which is why veterans like Hal Gill (as one example) get an overpayment of a 2nd and 2 prospects. So, even if we get "stuck" with Plekanec for his contract, I won't cry too much. Veteran Leadership is essential on any Cup winning team. Again, I am willing to trade Plekanec for the right deal, but nothing in this thread has come remotely close to what I would call the "right" deal for Plekanec.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:22 PM
  #90
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
...for a package including a 1st and a center prospect with some NHL experience.
I'd be ok with the Caps offering Eakin + a 1st. If you want Johansson the Habs will have to add, or make it a 2013 1st.

I'd also do Laich + a 1st. Laich could take over Plekanec's defensive burden and take some pressure off DD and Eller as they develop.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:28 PM
  #91
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 50
Washington's pick is going to be #30, though. Colorado's 1st will be Yakupov. That's the one you want.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:43 PM
  #92
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Washington's pick is going to be #30, though. Colorado's 1st will be Yakupov. That's the one you want.
...wut?

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:45 PM
  #93
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
...wut?
You didn't know that? Common knowledge. Caps fans said so, bro.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
  #94
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
You didn't know that? Common knowledge. Caps fans said so, bro.
Most Caps fans (myself included) don't think this team will make the playoffs. Go check out the Caps' board, we're not a very optimistic bunch. Not sure who you've been talking to.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 11:53 PM
  #95
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Most Caps fans (myself included) don't think this team will make the playoffs. Go check out the Caps' board, we're not a very optimistic bunch. Not sure who you've been talking to.
Oh, you only joined in October. You missed a lot of the fun.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 AM
  #96
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Oh, you only joined in October. You missed a lot of the fun.
Back when more than half the experts had us in the SCF? Yeah, we were pretty optimistic then. Didn't anticipate Green and Backstrom each missing most of the year.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
  #97
HTFN
Registered User
 
HTFN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
You didn't know that? Common knowledge. Caps fans said so, bro.
Like it was just Caps fans and not damn near everyone on HFBoards? Okay.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
  #98
NeilYoung
Registered User
 
NeilYoung's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Oh, you only joined in October. You missed a lot of the fun.
You thought Capitals fans thought we'd win a cup? Most Caps fans for the last 4 years would be surprised if this team could figure out how to win roll up the rim

TROLL, don't put words in a fanbases mouth

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:46 AM
  #99
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drydenwasthebest View Post
While I don't advocate trading Plekanec, I am not averse to it either. The difference is in our perceived value of him. He is worth more than a mid-1st and Galiev. He only gets traded in a package for an upgrade at center (I.E: Staal, Getzlaf, or some veteran of that calibre) or for a package including a 1st and a center prospect with some NHL experience.

By the way, claiming someone is over-the-hill and not worth having on your team at the age of 33 is just silly. It is called veteran leadership and experience. Strangely enough, it is the kind of thing you want on your team for a serious Cup run, which is why veterans like Hal Gill (as one example) get an overpayment of a 2nd and 2 prospects. So, even if we get "stuck" with Plekanec for his contract, I won't cry too much. Veteran Leadership is essential on any Cup winning team. Again, I am willing to trade Plekanec for the right deal, but nothing in this thread has come remotely close to what I would call the "right" deal for Plekanec.
The value is there to be negotiated. I agree that he should fetch more. Realistically with who we have in charge, would you count on it? The issue for me arises when we draft a franchise center this year (and we better) and we have him, Desharnais, Eller and Plekanec next season, or the season after. I'd be happy to go with a Galchenyuk / Grigorenko, Plekanec and Eller down the middle. It's as well rounded a center core as we could hope for. Desharnais would have to shift to wing a la Martin St. Louis.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
  #100
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,542
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilYoung View Post
You thought Capitals fans thought we'd win a cup? Most Caps fans for the last 4 years would be surprised if this team could figure out how to win roll up the rim

TROLL, don't put words in a fanbases mouth
Eh, the smugness was pretty thick right around the time of the Vokoun signing. (take that Philly!) Maybe not yourself personally, but a lot of the faceless posters with the NES avatars, they all look the same.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.