HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tremblay: Gauthier Running Habs like KGB

Old
03-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Some people just want to fire everybody?

Buddy, we're last in the East. What does a GM have to do to be considered inept if being last in the Conference doesn't?
Hopefully this criteria for being considered inept applies to Brian Burke as well, I don't like him.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
FIRE EVERYBODY, ESPECIALLY THE MOLSONS!!!!1!!!!!!1!!!!!11111!!!!!!!
What does the guy have to do in order for him to lose your support? Seriously man, the guy is a terrible GM who's demonstrated little vision and is constantly coming up with reactive knee jerk moves. He flat out sucks.

We're sitting in last place right now and at the same time have wasted trade assets and stuck ourselves with Thomas Kaberle. Makes no sense to keep him.

You may think that folks who criticize the team are 'bad' but defending everything the team does is worse. It is. Defending the team no matter how incompetent just breeds more incompetence and mediocrity.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by juve View Post
Who cares if Zidickly was able to be moved. No one wanted Kaberle and Rutherford found a sucker in Gauthier, the same way Sather found one in Gainey. Rutherford spoke out to media saying " I regret signing him". Doesn't that concern you? Boston didn't re-sign him.... He's past his prime.
What do you mean who cares? That is like me saying who cares that the Canes were offering a 2nd, which is false.

Rutherford might regret signing Kaberle, but what he should regret more was moving him too soon, if Kaberle picked up is player, and starting player like he has in MTL, the Canes could have gotten more than Spacek in return, and I base this on what Zidlicky got, not just out of my behind.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
My feeling is that PG is an intensely private man who's never really had to worry about privacy because he worked for teams where media scrutiny was limited to non-existent. But when he became Habs GM he took measures to maintain that same level of privacy as he had become accustomed to. I mean the very fact that he keeps his family a safe distance away in Burlington, VT should tell you everything about the man. He lurks in the shadows. The result is the secret society the Habs organization has turned into. PG never understood that the Habs belong to the people. He doesn't have the right personality for the job. The Habs GM needs to be a public figure that is accustomed to media scrutiny.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Some people just want to fire everybody?

Buddy, we're last in the East. What does a GM have to do to be considered inept if being last in the Conference doesn't?
Again, you are failing to understand the role a GM has. GMs are asset managers. Coaches are the ones reponsible for getting what they can out of the roster.

Question: Heading into the year, did you expect the habs to be last in the east looking at their roster?

That's what PG is responsible for, putting the roster together. Once the season starts, there is very little a GM can really do. He really isn't the one to blame here.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 09:56 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
My feeling is that PG is an intensely private man who's never really had to worry about privacy because he worked for teams where media scrutiny was limited to non-existent. But when he became Habs GM he took measures to maintain that same level of privacy as he had become accustomed to. I mean the very fact that he keeps his family a safe distance away in Burlington, VT should tell you everything about the man. He lurks in the shadows. The result is the secret society the Habs organization has turned into. PG never understood that the Habs belong to the people. He doesn't have the right personality for the job. The Habs GM needs to be a public figure that is accustomed to media scrutiny.
His kids (wife ?) are Americans + less taxes.

The rest is about right.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

If Gauthier is still the GM at draft day, I don't think I'd quit on this team and become a canucks fan. But I'd be really really really tempted.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Hopefully this criteria for being considered inept applies to Brian Burke as well, I don't like him.
When your start in the cellar, there's a leniancy period. Unless you want to fire the GM every year.

Quote:
Again, you are failing to understand the role a GM has. GMs are asset managers. Coaches are the ones reponsible for getting what they can out of the roster.

Question: Heading into the year, did you expect the habs to be last in the east looking at their roster?

That's what PG is responsible for, putting the roster together. Once the season starts, there is very little a GM can really do...
So when he builds the worst defense in the league, he can't do anything about it?

Come the **** on. This has to be a bad joke.

And saying 'did you expect...'. WHO CARES? Did you expect the Panthers to be 3rd in the East? Nope. But that's on Tallon's GMing ability, not only to build the team, but hire a competent coach.

Seriously, some people are putting the lube themselves.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

That's what PG is responsible for, putting the roster together. Once the season starts, there is very little a GM can really do...
Yeah, it's not like he can replace his bilingual coach... with a unilingual guy who's never coached in the NHL.

He assembled a team that was capable of the playoffs. I think folks would grant you this.

However, he wasn't smart about Markov and not having a backup plan. You don't need hindsight for this. So... when it became clear that Markov wasn't coming back it was too late to find anyone so he gets Campioli. Viola... instant AHL defense. Then when this doesn't work he wastes assets, sticks us with Kaberle, makes sideways moves and does very little for the future. It's been a total fiasco and he's responsible for it.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

The day Rejean Tremblay learns to balance the positive and the negative about the Habs is the day people might start taking what he says/writes a bit more seriously. Until then however, he's not worth the time of day.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
If Gauthier is still the GM at draft day, I don't think I'd quit on this team and become a canucks fan. But I'd be really really really tempted.
ewwww

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The day Rejean Tremblay learns to balance the positive and the negative about the Habs is the day people might start taking what he says/writes a bit more seriously. Until then however, he's not worth the time of day.
I'm not even bothering with that guy's article. He's almost as much of a waste of skin as Jack Todd.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I agree with a lot of things you said, but I kinda like that PG doesn't exactly give the people what they want, pleasing fans shouldn't be the first priority, because that is the whole issue with needing a coach that speaks French.

Also generally speaking, I much rather have a GM that lurks in shadow that one that must have the none stop attention on him (Burke).

Old
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Tremblay should stay away from those fascist analogies.

Otherwise, typical stuff from him.

Really looks like he's trying to pull a "dare" on his good friend Geoff. With friends like Réjean, who needs enemies.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I agree with a lot of things you said, but I kinda like that PG doesn't exactly give the people what they want, pleasing fans shouldn't be the first priority, because that is the whole issue with needing a coach that speaks French.

Also generally speaking, I much rather have a GM that lurks in shadow that one that must have the none stop attention on him (Burke).
I disagree with the first bolded statement. Once pleasing fans no longer becomes a priority, you're out of business. The fans are the consumers and pleasing them should be the top priority. Of course the ultimate way of pleasing fans is by giving them a winning team. However, PG has not only been turning the organization into a secret society but he's failed to produce a winning team. The secrecy would be more tolerable if he was actually icing a winning product but he's not. And some ppl, like Réjean Tremblay for example, are making the connection between losing and the fact that PG has turned the Habs organization into his own ultra-secret organization.

Also, I'm not saying we need an attention seeker as GM. I'm saying we need someone who can deal with the public scrutiny rather than shut down the entire system of communication between the team and the fans solely because they like to maintain their own privacy. It's egotistical. PG is thinking of his own wants and needs before that of the team and the fans.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:24 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
As usual, he put himself in a weak position. they did not play AK on any of the first two lines for almost a month and gave him like 10-14 moin. of play time per game.

Why trade him at 10 in the morning instead of waiting until 2: 59 p.m. ? Force nashville to sugar their offer, at least.
Firstly, it's RC's decision who is in the line-up and where. Secondly, we were trying to make a playoff push (but ultimately failed), so the guy with 2-goals in 24-games didn't get any favour. He was still playing 13-15 minutes a night usually.

I like AK but the guy was one of the most inconsistent NHLers I've ever seen. Brian Savage, basically.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:24 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yeah, it's not like he can replace his bilingual coach... with a unilingual guy who's never coached in the NHL.

He assembled a team that was capable of the playoffs. I think folks would grant you this.

However, he wasn't smart about Markov and not having a backup plan. You don't need hindsight for this. So... when it became clear that Markov wasn't coming back it was too late to find anyone so he gets Campioli. Viola... instant AHL defense. Then when this doesn't work he wastes assets, sticks us with Kaberle, makes sideways moves and does very little for the future. It's been a total fiasco and he's responsible for it.
i don't think your timeline is correct at all: markov was supposed to be back a few games into the season until he wasn't. campoli was signed way before 'we' knew there was more complications with markov's knee. and then wait until november and more complications and more complications.

no way campoli was signed to 'replace' markov. he was signed as depth and im pretty sure goat said as much when he signed him.

he figured nothing would go wrong with markov's rehab and that he was only going to miss a few games. he rehabs, apparently too hard and too fast and bam, more complications. but campoli was never signed to 'replace' markov... no one available in the league last year could replace markov.

now, not resigning a minute eater like hammer? then we got something

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Brian Burke is a mixed bag, but he's not relevent to Montreal. We should always want, nay, demand the best talent be under our tent. The rest need to be employed somewhere might as well have the lesser talent be employed by our fiercest rivals.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Firstly, it's RC's decision who is in the line-up and where. Secondly, we were trying to make a playoff push (but ultimately failed), so the guy with 2-goals in 24-games didn't get any favour. He was still playing 13-15 minutes a night usually.

I like AK but the guy was one of the most inconsistent NHLers I've ever seen. Brian Savage, basically.
It's not just RC's decision.

If it's a lost season and you know you're going to be trading a player away, you showcase him. It's just common sense. You go to your coach and you say... play him. Give him all the PP time he needs and try to make him look good. Teams do this all the time. Instead we took his already not so great trade value and choked the ever living life out of it. 4 minutes a game and threatening him publicly with a benching? Seriously... that's right out of the "how to get minimal return on your player" playbook.

As much as I disagreed with RC on how he was handling AK, this one is PG's fault. RC is trying to win games and is doing what he feels he has to (rightly or wrongly) in order to win. PG is the guy who knows who's staying and who's not. It's up to him to set the directive here. If he's going to trade the guy, then he should be giving RC a head's up and telling him to play him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i don't think your timeline is correct at all: markov was supposed to be back a few games into the season until he wasn't. campoli was signed way before 'we' knew there was more complications with markov's knee. and then wait until november and more complications and more complications.

no way campoli was signed to 'replace' markov. he was signed as depth and im pretty sure goat said as much when he signed him.

he figured nothing would go wrong with markov's rehab and that he was only going to miss a few games. he rehabs, apparently too hard and too fast and bam, more complications. but campoli was never signed to 'replace' markov... no one available in the league last year could replace markov.

Markov was supposed to be ready for the season. Then in the summer we started hearing that he might not be ready and as the summer drew to an end it became more clear that he wasn't going to start the year with us.

Even if my timeline is off though... PG had to know that Markov was an injury waiting to happen. I don't need 20/20 hindsight for this and neither do the majority of posters on this board. Sooner or later we'd need to get some help on his injury. Only this time... it didn't work. And it was a terrible move with Kaberle.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
I disagree with the first bolded statement. Once pleasing fans no longer becomes a priority, you're out of business. The fans are the consumers and pleasing them should be the top priority. Of course the ultimate way of pleasing fans is by giving them a winning team. However, PG has not only been turning the organization into a secret society but he's failed to produce a winning team. The secrecy would be more tolerable if he was actually icing a winning product but he's not. And some ppl, like Réjean Tremblay for example, are making the connection between losing and the fact that PG has turned the Habs organization into his own ultra-secret organization.

Also, I'm not saying we need an attention seeker as GM. I'm saying we need someone who can deal with the public scrutiny rather than shut down the entire system of communication between the team and the fans solely because they like to maintain their own privacy. It's egotistical. PG is thinking of his own wants and needs before that of the team and the fans.
Very good points.

But I still don't think it's the GM job to please fans and have it high on his priority list.

IMO that job belongs to the President of the team, Geoff Molson and Kevin Gilmore, they are the ones that answer to the owners (Molson/partners).

Even the Randy Cunneyworth mess was caused mainly by higher management, PG said that language is something that can be learnt later on when asked about the language issue at the press conference when RC was hired, and he only made the comments about being sorry to offenened anyone and that it was only in an interim bases and he basically repeated what Molson said in his statement after all the media pressure.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:33 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

Hammers been a huge bust in Washington. He's even been healthy scratched lately.

Remember when people were complaining about keeping Gill over Hammer? At least Gill fetched us a nice return...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
If you don't know anything about the Russian internal politics or that the KGB's successor, the GRU, single-handily took over the Russian business establishment in the last 90's/early 00's and still considered to be one of the most ruthless and effective intelligence organization in the world to this day, just don't try to actually fake you know what you are talking about.
Um, yeah because that's what I was doing, rather than making a quick joke. Do you work for the KGB or something? Coz you know you're not supposed to tell people that....

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:34 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
His kids (wife ?) are Americans + less taxes.

The rest is about right.
Well PG happened to choose the state with the second highest income tax rate besides Alaska. So I'm not sure how much taxes plays into it. Plus he works in Montreal and has a pied à terre in Montreal - he doesn't go back to Vermont every night. Meaning that depending on how many days he actually lives in Montreal, he may actually be paying Canada/Quebec income tax. I can't imagine he spends most of his time in Vermont when he should be focussing on his duties as a Habs GM. Or maybe he is in VT most of the time which would explain alot of things.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
If he isnt fired all hell will break loose. I think they have a sense of that.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
He better be fired on April 8th, shouldn't make it past that date and better not be present at the draft i'll be ****ing pissed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote