HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs playing in World Championships

Old
03-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
I'd love for Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Plekanec and/or Eller to go. I'd hate for Markov to go and get injured. I really hope he doesn't go even if he's playing on the team by the end of the year.
I would rather him him go.

If he doesn't get injured, great. He's back in playing shape and gets some legit games under his belt.

If he gets injured again, we know we have to replace VERY early, so there is no excuse for management to not try to pick up a solid Top-4 veteran instead of trying to patch him with Chris Campoli a few weeks before the season starts.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

If he doesn't get injured, great. He's back in playing shape and gets some legit games under his belt.

If he gets injured again, we know we have to replace VERY early, so there is no excuse for management to not try to pick up a solid Top-4 veteran instead of trying to patch him with Chris Campoli a few weeks before the season starts.
Yeah he hasnt been rushed back from injury so if he can play some NHL games I cant see why he shouldnt play in the WC just to get more ice time and some feel back.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Couldn't agree more, we need to know 100% if Markov is healthy and can last more then just a few games. The moment he is cleared the Habs need to play him and play him 25 minutes a night

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
irunthepeg
#whiteout

vCash: 50
Quote:

True enough. Very good point, never thought about that. It just would suck to be so hyped for him to come back then BOOM injured again. But very good point, you've convinced me to change my opinion on Markov to the WC.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
The uproar in this city is going to be hideous if Markov misses damn near 160 games with the Habs and then plays for Russia this summer.

I'm not saying I don't understand the logistics of it (giving Markov actual playing time to truly test his knee does make sense), but from a PR standpoint, it would be a nightmare.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The uproar in this city is going to be hideous if Markov misses damn near 160 games with the Habs and then plays for Russia this summer.

I'm not saying I don't understand the logistics of it (giving Markov actual playing time to truly test his knee does make sense), but from a PR standpoint, it would be a nightmare.
Especially if he got hurt again playing for Russia.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
No ****ing way do I want Markov playing at the WC. I will be extremely pissed if he does.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
No ****ing way do I want Markov playing at the WC. I will be extremely pissed if he does.
He will, if he's able. The guy never refused to play for his country. I still remember him playing at the Worlds in Quebec City even if he was back from an injury.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
If he's healthy, he should go. More games under his belt will be better.

If he gets hurt again, he could just as easily have gotten hurt in NHL action.

This will answer the question marks on his knee and if it can stand up to the rigors of the NHL. Answers which will help our July 1st planning.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

This will answer the question marks on his knee and if it can stand up to the rigors of the NHL. Answers which will help our July 1st planning.
Habs are paying him 18 million

Russia: 0 $

Some fans here are paying $250 a game to see him play.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
He will, if he's able. The guy never refused to play for his country. I still remember him playing at the Worlds in Quebec City even if he was back from an injury.
Except that the Habs can (and should) deny him permission. Yes, Markov needs to play but the team simply can't afford to lose control over his utilization. If/when he comes back this season, the team will control his ice time, the match-ups, and they will be able to monitor his health on a daily basis with team doctors. Not the case if he plays for Russia. There is just too much at risk here and the only ones taking the risk are the Canadiens as Markov's contract is garanteed.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Tuggy
Homer glasses on

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post

I'm sorry but this is a unique situation with Markov. I'm sure it would be nice for Markov to play for Russia but his employer (the Habs) have too much invested in him to have him risk injury in the WC.

This is a guy who has played what, 7 games (or something) over the past two seasons. If he is going to get hurt on NHL ice then so be it, but no ****ing way should he blow his knee out again for some meaningless tournament.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:

Habs fans are paying to see the Habs win.

Paying Markov $5.75M again and planning to have him for the season only for him to get hurt 2 games into the sesaon and not be able to replace him is going hurt the team.

Letting him go to the WC and see if hs knee holds up will be a good test. If he gets hurt, we have all summer to get a replacement. If he's good to go, we go to war with Markov.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I'm sorry but this is a unique situation with Markov. I'm sure it would be nice for Markov to play for Russia but his employer (the Habs) have too much invested in him to have him risk injury in the WC.

This is a guy who has played what, 7 games (or something) over the past two seasons. If he is going to get hurt on NHL ice then so be it, but no ****ing way should he blow his knee out again for some meaningless tournament.
Sure its a unique situation.

The thing is... if he gets hurt in May, we can play for it in July.

If he gets hurt in September, we are scrambling, and our options for replacing him are very limited.

If the docs say he's 100%, there is no point to waiting any longer.

Plus there is a very real psychological effect that will help Markov himself during the offseason the more games he is able to play and stay healthy. Proving he can take a hit, will help him hit the ground running that much faster next year.

Quote:

Him being hurt in October is the worst case scenario... because there is no opportunity to go after off-season acquisitions to replace him.

And the fans paying $250 to see him play will be in the same situation if he's hurt at the WC or if he's hurt in training camp next year.

We need to know if he can handle game action without falling apart, the only way to know that is by playing games, and the sooner we know the better.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Except that the Habs can (and should) deny him permission. Yes, Markov needs to play but the team simply can't afford to lose control over his utilization. If/when he comes back this season, the team will control his ice time, the match-ups, and they will be able to monitor his health on a daily basis with team doctors. Not the case if he plays for Russia. There is just too much at risk here and the only ones taking the risk are the Canadiens as Markov's contract is garanteed.
No reason why you can't demand that the Russians take a Montreal trainer on their staff as a condition to him being allowed to play. If they don't like it, he doesn't get permission.

Markov is that important to both the Habs and the Russians that these things can be done, and have been done to accommodate others in the past.

He gets his own personal trainer for those 2 weeks.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:41 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Habs fans are paying to see the Habs win.

Paying Markov $5.75M again and planning to have him for the season only for him to get hurt 2 games into the sesaon and not be able to replace him is going hurt the team.

Letting him go to the WC and see if hs knee holds up will be a good test. If he gets hurt, we have all summer to get a replacement. If he's good to go, we go to war with Markov.
he gets hurt, habs can throw a bank at suter. problem (possibly) solved

this is by far the most sensible solution.

but you are ignoring that the montreal medias like drama (tony lolarino), or will just plain go and make **** up. and that most fans lack the ability to think for themselves or look beyond their own preconceived ideas - and no amount of 'explaining your reasoning' will get through to them

i understand and i agree they should let him, but at the same time, it's not hard to imagine the **** storm that will happen IF he gets injured again...

play him at the world's, or play him at the end of the season, or both. but you CANNOT go into next season with this massive question mark still hanging over the club's head - again...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
this is by far the most sensible solution.
Not in my opinion, it's not.

Old
03-09-2012, 03:24 AM
kovatroll*
David Clarkson ✘👎

I'm invading here to post this because this is the only Canada WC discussion I've seen. BTW if he did accept Price would be an amazing goalie to have in nets.

It seems like whoever coaches/manages the team in the WC cares a whole lot less than they should, this may be a bit of homerism or something. But last year they started off the tournament using Reimer as their starter and he did well in the games he played. From what I can find he had .920 SV% and 2.04 GAA and then suddenly Bernier becomes available and it's gtfo we have the opportunity to use a goalie on a team that made the playoffs, even though he didn't play a single game.

Like I said a possible homeristic rant.

kovatroll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2012, 09:17 AM
clarke19

Markov really should play. If he's able to come back this season what do the Habs have to gain by sheltering him? If he can play, he can play, it is as simple as that, and he could use all the game experience possible right now.

clarke19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Scotianhab

World Championships

With the Habs officially eliminated I thought we could discuss who might be playing in the World Championships.
These players imo all have a possible shot at playing for their respective countries.

Canada - Carey Price, PK Subban - Honourable Mention - David Desharnais & Josh Gorges
U.S.A. - Max Pacioretty, Eric Cole
Russia - Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov
Finland - Petteri Nokelainen
Denmark - Lars Eller
Czech Republic - Tomas Plekanec, Tomas Kaberle
Slovakia - Peter Budaj (backup role if anything)
Switzerland - Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotianhab View Post
With the Habs officially eliminated I thought we could discuss who might be playing in the World Championships.
These players imo all have a possible shot at playing for their respective countries.

Canada - Carey Price, PK Subban - Honourable Mention - David Desharnais & Josh Gorges
U.S.A. - Max Pacioretty, Eric Cole
Russia - Alexei Emelin, Andrei Markov
Finland - Petteri Nokelainen
Denmark - Lars Eller
Czech Republic - Tomas Plekanec, Tomas Kaberle
Slovakia - Peter Budaj (backup role if anything)
Switzerland - Yannick Weber, Raphael Diaz
Scratch Markov. No way in hell the Habs should allow him to play.

Old
03-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Scratch Markov. No way in hell the Habs should allow him to play.
What, why? Markov needs to get as many games in by the end of the season.

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:22 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
What, why? Markov needs to get as many games in by the end of the season.
Markov has 3 months to fully rehab his knee at his own pace, in a much more controlled environment. Playing in 7 games in April or whatever isn't going to help enough to justify the risk. My take, anyway.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 725
I think that we should have time to see who is available out there outside the Habs. That way, we'll see if there are really some spots for Desharnais for example. Oilers will see quite a few players go over there. Though Hall is gone. Columbus sends Nash. Possibility of Umberger. Do Getzlaf and Perry go? And I am not even looking that hard. Unless tons of people don't go, there may be not as many openings as we thought there were. And that's not counting the teams that are still in a race but won't make it like TBay and Co. And that's not counting the numerous teams that will lose in round 1.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Markov has 3 months to fully rehab his knee at his own pace, in a much more controlled environment. Playing in 7 games in April or whatever isn't going to help enough to justify the risk. My take, anyway.
I understand the point that he should take summer to continue rehabbing his knee. However Markov's play defensive play hasn't been that great of late, I believe if we give him more game time he can return to his former self and end the season on a positive note

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote