HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'm starting to wonder what's going on there. Why exactly are we keeping Goat and the bunch (minus the amateur scouting department, because we kind of need the work already done for the draft)? Like, what are they doing for the rest of the year except watch the games?

Assuming they aren't coming back, why wouldn't you want the guy that's going to come in over the summer to get a head start and get a feel for what he's got? Is there a rule where you can't talk to front office people from other teams over the course of the season?

Seriously, are going to see those clowns again next year?
Well, ya, that's considering they have the person they want coming here.
Other than the unemployed guys, we don't really know who they have discussed things with, or if they can for that matter.

Old
03-07-2012, 08:31 AM
glenn77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
More I think about this, more I think Roy should be the man. The guy that decide wich direction this team go.

Just surround him with competent experienced guys.

I would have
Roy as GM

Ass GM:
Jacques Lemaire
Pat Brisson

Adviser:
Scotty Bowman

Roy as coach

Ass Coachs:
Larry Robinson
Michel Therrien

I think having a guy like Lemaire is that the guy is a brainiac and was the ass GM of the Habs under Serge Savard and the org. took a big dive when Lemaire left because he was the thinker of the group. Also he could help the coaching staff when things go bad.
Love it!

Old
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
Replace Gainey by Serge Savard
Replace Gauthier by Vincent Damphousse (a guy like Savard is essential with a rookie GM IMO)
Replace Cunneyworth by Patrick Roy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Coach? Sure: Roy, Vincent...

Gm? Sure: Timmins, Julien Brisebois, Jim Nill, Roy...

Both? Snowball chance in hell imho.
What qualifications does Vinny Damphousse have to be a GM of an NHL team? He's done absolutely nothing in the league for any team since he retired 8 years ago. This is a terrible, terrible idea. Did we learn nothing from hiring a former player with no experience when Houle destryoed the team?

Quote:
More I think about this, more I think Roy should be the man. The guy that decide wich direction this team go.

I would have
Roy as GM

Ass GM:
Jacques Lemaire
Pat Brisson

Adviser:
Scotty Bowman

Roy as coach

Ass Coachs:
Larry Robinson
Michel Therrien

I think having a guy like Lemaire is that the guy is a brainiac and was the ass GM of the Habs under Serge Savard and the org. took a big dive when Lemaire left because he was the thinker of the group. Also he could help the coaching staff when things go bad.
This is all kinds of wrong. Aside from bringing in Robinson, this is a terrible idea. You don't have a guy do dual coach-GM roles in this day and age. Period. Not to mention Roy doesn't know enough about the NHL to actually be an NHL GM. Maybe he could coach, since his junior coaching experience would translate somewhat. But not GM - being the GM of a junior team then going directly to GM of an NHL team is a recipie for instant failure. You need to know the league inside out and backwards, and I'm sure he doesn't.

Pat Brisson? Really? Some random agent is going to all of a sudden be an assistant GM? Puke.

Michel Therrien? Hasn't the world seen enough of this guy? Haven't we already fired him once?

Jacques Lemaire in a GM role?

Try again.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:07 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I always thought that he was too sick / fragile mentally to be able to coach. I mean if he couldn't handle coaching in America's Armpit, why would he ever be able to handle it in the media microscope of Montreal?
Not as a head coach. But as an assistant, he is perfect.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
habitue*

Where is Pat Burns when we need him...

Old
03-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Slew Foots
Haters gonna hate

What's the likelihood of being able to pry Jim Benning out of Beantown? In addition to working with (and presumably learning from) arguably one of the top two GMs in the NHL right now (Chiarelli), he was the head of amateur drafting for the Sabres from 1998 to 2004 (during those years, they picked guys like Miller, Gaustad, Roy, Pominville, Vanek, MacArthur, Stafford and Kaleta).

As the coach, Pascal Vincent might be our best option - unlike Roy, he's been able to gain some NHL experience this year. While Roy is undoubtedly a successful coach and GM in the Q, he's been able to lure several high-profile European players, whereas Vincent was successful in the Q with far fewer resources at his disposal.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:39 AM
thewall

Patrick Roy IS COMING TO THE HABS THIS SUMMER!!!!!!!! BOOK IT!!!

I have a friend who's assistant coach in the QJMHL, the head coach of his team is a really close friend of Patrick Roy. Roy didnt go to the Habs this year because he is commited to Grigorenko, but he will take over as soon as the season his over.

From what i have heard.. guys like Damphousse will be involved with the Habs next year too.. If you watch closely Damphousse on TV, he's always defending or protecting the organisation compare to the other baffoons who always dump **** on the team.

Anyways .. ROY WILL BE THE NEXT COACH!!!!!!!!!! he will also have full control of the Habs roster... Maybe a Julien Brisebois will act as the GM but all hockey personel decisions will be made by ROY!

Old
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:

I would have
Roy as GM

Ass GM:
Jacques Lemaire
Pat Brisson

Adviser:
Scotty Bowman

Roy as coach

Ass Coachs:
Larry Robinson
Michel Therrien

I'll try to express why this is a terrible notion as succinctly as possible (although I will likely get a little long winded).

First of all, Dual coach/GMs rarely have long-term success in the NHL, as both roles are quite demanding (especially in Montreal). I can't see Roy in both roles actually being able to give each job the time necessary to be effective.

Next, Roy really doesn't have any experience being a managing figure at the NHL level, which is quite different to being a GM in the QMJHL. Surrounding him with experience is fine, but its not like Lemaire or Brisson actually have a ton of Managerial experience between them either. At least when Gillis was inserted as GM of Vancouver, he had experienced assistant GMs in Henning and Gilman already entrenched. I don't think its a very good idea to completely turf the existing management team, as you really need someone who has a more intimate perspective of the team than a new hire would. For that reason, I expect Timmins and Carrière to retain their positions with the club, regardless of how Molson proceeds.

Also, your breakdown looks like it was devised in an EA Sports game. Roy has a fiery personality to put it lightly. What makes you think he'd work well with Lemaire or Brisson? Robinson is a consummate professional but can you really see Therrien as an effective assistant next to Roy? Why would Brisson leave his lucrative job to only be an assistant GM? Why does Therrien take a demotion in an organization he was already a part of? How does Roy hold any clout if it appears as though everyone hired to surround him is supposed to hold him up?

One of my GM ideas (apart from the big 4 of Nill, Benning, Fenton and Kekalainen) was to bring in Loiselle as GM and Dudley as assistant GM, on the basis that both are experienced with solid track records. Both also enjoy a similar paradigm in Toronto right now which indicates that they can work together.

It would be nice to install Roy as a figurehead, but I doubt it helps the team in the long run. What is with this team turning to green managers (Houle) or twice failed GMs (Goat). Experience should be a requirement, but it has to be positive experience, with noticeable improvement throughout their careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
What qualifications does Vinny Damphousse have to be a GM of an NHL team? He's done absolutely nothing in the league for any team since he retired 8 years ago. This is a terrible, terrible idea. Did we learn nothing from hiring a former player with no experience when Houle destryoed the team?
I absolutely agree that the Damphousse speculation is an asinine idea, but I'm fairly certain that Kjell Dahlin was referring to Jets assistant coach Pascal Vincent as a candidate for a head coach, which wouldn't be an absurd notion and may in fact be the best fit of available coaches.

Last edited by Captain Smurf: 03-07-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old
03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post

I have a friend who's assistant coach in the QJMHL, the head coach of his team is a really close friend of Patrick Roy. Roy didnt go to the Habs this year because he is commited to Grigorenko, but he will take over as soon as the season his over.

From what i have heard.. guys like Damphousse will be involved with the Habs next year too.. If you watch closely Damphousse on TV, he's always defending or protecting the organisation compare to the other baffoons who always dump **** on the team.

Anyways .. ROY WILL BE THE NEXT COACH!!!!!!!!!! he will also have full control of the Habs roster... Maybe a Julien Brisebois will act as the GM but all hockey personel decisions will be made by ROY!
I doubt about that.

He is commited to his whole team, and had always said that he would contemplate a NHL job when his two sons will have finished their Junior years.

+ Why take the job last December when the team was average and Gauthier was still around ?

Roy will possibly take the job if gauthier is gone and if he is sure that the Nordiques won't be back next season in Quebec City.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

How can Roy definitely be the next coach if we don't know who the GM is?

Old
03-07-2012, 10:03 AM
Roulin

Quote:

This makes sense in that I can believe that Roy believes he'll be the next coach. Whether he actually will be, is another story.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
This makes sense in that I can believe that Roy believes he'll be the next coach. Whether he actually will be, is another story.
I really hope not.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Pandemic

Yeah.. Pat Brisson isn't leaving that job for an assistant GM position. That makes absolutely no sense. That guy is set right now.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:21 AM
NJHABSFAN

This team hasn't been right since they traded Roy, But is Roy the answer as coach? We need a GREAT GM who knows pro talent, This goat guy has to GetTheF-Out !!! at the end of the year.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
Yeah.. Pat Brisson isn't leaving that job for an assistant GM position. That makes absolutely no sense. That guy is set right now.
Agreed, but for GM he's an interesting name. It seems as though agents have at least as much of a handle on how to evaluate and measure the value of players as GM's. Gillis has done an amazing job with the Canucks.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:32 AM

At this point, I'd be surprised if Patrick Roy isn't involved with the Habs in some capacity next season.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:46 AM
Lions999

Roy GM and Therrien Coach
I think Therrien has matured and is ready to do a good. Plus I think is suited to handle young players.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions999 View Post
Roy GM and Therrien Coach
I think Therrien has matured and is ready to do a good. Plus I think is suited to handle young players.
What has Therrien been up to recently?

Old
03-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
What has Therrien been up to recently?
L'antichambre

Old
03-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I still believe the best move the Habs could make would be to name Patrick Roy the President of the Montreal Canadiens. Not coach or GM. However the problem is I doubt that interests Roy

Old
03-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Et le But

Roy as a GM would be a nightmare. Giving him a shot as coach is one thing, but few things scare me more than Roy managing the cap.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
WestIslander

Something tells me that we are going to see the following:

Special Advisor: Bob Gainey
General Manager: Julien Brisebois
Head coach: Guy Boucher
Assistant coach: Martin Raymond
Assistant coach: ?????

Moslon will keep Gainey because of respect and Boucher (in my opinion) will be let go with Raymond by April or May.

Aside from that, I also think that they are going to clean house and trade away more players in the off season, I see Plekanec, Weber and possibly Gomez packing their bags by June or July.

Old
03-07-2012, 10:58 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Something tells me that we are going to see the following:

Special Advisor: Bob Gainey
General Manager: Julien Brisebois
Head coach: Guy Boucher
Assistant coach: Martin Raymond

Assistant coach: ?????

Moslon will keep Gainey because of respect and Boucher (in my opinion) will be let go with Raymond by April or May.

Aside from that, I also think that they are going to clean house and trade away more players in the off season, I see Plekanec, Weber and possibly Gomez packing their bags by June or July.

I really hope you're wrong about everyone on that list

Old
03-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Roy as a GM would be a nightmare. Giving him a shot as coach is one thing, but few things scare me more than Roy managing the cap.
Reporter: "Mr. Roy, you were rumored to be in on the Nash sweepstakes but failed to get him. What happened?"

Roy: "I pick up my phone and I don't hear anything. I have two Stanley Cup ring plugged in each ear."

Yeah, Roy as coach would be fun to see. Whether it works out or not, nobody can say.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
03-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
L'antichambre
Oh man. So we know he'll get the media push (McGuire this year, Hartley last time around). I respect what Hartley did, going to Switzerland to get back into coaching, and what Vigneault did when he was fired, going to the AHL and working his way back up. This is the proper route if you're out of the game (I consider media work out of the game) for more than a year, IMO.

Closed Thread