HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Holloway and Moller

Old
01-26-2012, 12:44 AM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
You can't say you know something for a fact and then not back it up. This is the internet, therefore nobody will believe you.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
Hey i didnt know Toffoli loves lucky charms .
Yup he does. He likes them with Almond milk also, cause he is lactose intolerant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest View Post
You can't say you know something for a fact and then not back it up. This is the internet, therefore nobody will believe you.

Exactly.

making **** up while i make **** up while i make **** up while i make **** up....

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 09:37 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafan View Post
Let me tell you one thing fella if Bud had been offered a contract for 600
thousand or more he would have signed in a heart beat ,you just dont get it do ya.
Considering the league minimum is $525,000, he didn't get offered much less than $600,000.

I'd wager with you that the Kings offered him more than $600,000. In order to keep his rights, the Kings had to offer him a qualifying offer. A qualifying offer to my understanding for a player who makes less than the league average is a 10 per cent increase on their previous salary (or the league average, whichever is lower and still above last years salary).

Holloway in 2010-2011 had an NHL salary of $590,000 had he been in the NHL. His cap hit was actually $650,000 considering he was eleigible for bonuses and had a nice signing bonus as well.

A 10 per cent increase on $590,000 is $649,000. Annually.

Once again, I'm not 100 per cent clear on the qualifying offers, so a CBA guy can step in and correct me if I'm wrong. But even if all the Kings had to do to qualify him was offer him the same as last year, he'd have been offered $590,000 annually. If you claim he'd sign for sure at $600,000, is it really that huge of a problem to sign at $590,000?

I suspect that:
A) You don't know jack **** and
B) The real issue with Bud was that he wanted a one way deal and the Kings told him he'd get a two-way contract but was pencilled into the line up, meaning it was his spot to lose but they wouldn't guaran tee him anything.

Bud elected to go for the sure money in Sweden. Whether we like that or not, or whether we think he was smart or not is irrelevant. It is his right to do so.

Considering Bud did get paid $360,000 over the past three years by the team and had a good chance to earn a roster spot this year, I do agree that is was rather ******-baggy how he elected to inform the team of his year long trip to Sweden though.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

Holloway and Moller Update

The Swedish Elite League finished its regular season today. Holloway finished 5th overall in league scoring with 21 goals and 28 assists for 49 points in 55 games. Moller finished with 14 goals and 17 goals for 31 points in 54 games.

Skelleftea finished 2nd overall in the SEL. The playoffs should begin shortly.

Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 05:53 PM
yankeeking

Does holloway have to pass thru re-entry waivers if their season is over, in case he is available before the end of our season

yankeeking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Does holloway have to pass thru re-entry waivers if their season is over, in case he is available before the end of our season
Can't sign him, the deadline for signing RFA's has passed this season.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
Can't sign him, the deadline for signing RFA's has passed this season.
Yup. People need to give up on the love for Bud Holloway. He will never play for the Kings.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:25 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yup. People need to give up on the love for Bud Holloway. He will never play for the Kings.
I still think what happens this summer will decide that. DL can be stubborn, but if Holloway is willing to kiss a little ass, he could get back into the good graces. We all know DL needs some decent secondary scoring at a reduced cost and Holloway could bring that.

Old
03-07-2012, 09:37 AM
johnjm22

I hope Bud is in camp next year. I think he has legitimate NHL talent, I also think playing the the SEL was probably a good step for his development.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I still think what happens this summer will decide that. DL can be stubborn, but if Holloway is willing to kiss a little ass, he could get back into the good graces. We all know DL needs some decent secondary scoring at a reduced cost and Holloway could bring that.
The way DL holds grudges coupled with how bad the Kings needed players with offensive capabilities this season...

he'd have to kiss Deans ass twice and polish it for him.

Old
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
The way DL holds grudges coupled with how bad the Kings needed players with offensive capabilities this season...

I don't know man I thought the same thing after Parse signed with Grand Rapids and not Manchester after leaving Omaha. But I do think Holloway's move was more of a slight than Parse's.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Maybe. I agree DL holds grudge's, but I think also, if Holloway is willing to blink first, DL will back down. I think DL needs to feel like he's never wrong, and if the player won't back down (Cammy) he'll send him packing, even if he looks a little dumb doing so. If Holloway backs off, I can see him staying. That said, I don't know what Holloway's personality is like.

What are Holloway's options after this season? Does LA have to offer him a contract to keep his rights? When is he a UFA?

Old
03-07-2012, 11:58 AM
santiclaws

Quote:

You're forgetting the distinct possibility that Dean will not be around this summer. If the Kings don't make the playoffs, I think it is more than likely he's gone.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
You're forgetting the distinct possibility that Dean will not be around this summer. If the Kings don't make the playoffs, I think it is more than likely he's gone.
Aaaah touché

Old
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Maybe. I agree DL holds grudge's, but I think also, if Holloway is willing to blink first, DL will back down. I think DL needs to feel like he's never wrong, and if the player won't back down (Cammy) he'll send him packing, even if he looks a little dumb doing so. If Holloway backs off, I can see him staying. That said, I don't know what Holloway's personality is like.

What are Holloway's options after this season? Does LA have to offer him a contract to keep his rights? When is he a UFA?
It's not a matter of Holloway "backing off" IMO. I don't think he ever made any contract demands.

Holloway signed elsewhere because he thought the Kings organization was overlooking him. Of course DL claimed other wise, but I don't believe him. Prospects that Holloway had been outperforming were getting call ups over him.

I think Bud signing in the SEL is mutually beneficial for both parties. Bud gets to develop his game furthur while getting some financial security in the mean time. He wasn't going to get a chance to make the Kings out of camp, despite what DL says.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:

I can't imagine that even Lombardi would make a personal grudge the supreme ultimate deciding factor in a player personnel decision.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Cassy87

Quote:
He was never going to play for the Kings, anyway. That's why he left when he did.

Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 03-07-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Cassy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy87 View Post
He was never going to play for the Kings, anyway. That's why he left when he did.

Thats pretty shortsighted. Kid was next in line. Its all about paying your dues in the Kings organization. If he'd have been in camp he makes the team over a guy like Hunter or Moreau.

Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 03-07-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: deleted quoted material
Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:06 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
It's not a matter of Holloway "backing off" IMO. I don't think he ever made any contract demands.

Holloway signed elsewhere because he thought the Kings organization was overlooking him. Of course DL claimed other wise, but I don't believe him. Prospects that Holloway had been outperforming were getting call ups over him.

I think Bud signing in the SEL is mutually beneficial for both parties. Bud gets to develop his game furthur while getting some financial security in the mean time. He wasn't going to get a chance to make the Kings out of camp, despite what DL says.
You are right, let me rephrase what I was saying. I think Holloway will have to appease DL somehow. Whether it was the right thing to do or not, there's seems to be a general agreement that how Holloway left to go to the SEL wasn't something DL was on board with. I doubt the issue of money will be the sticking point, rather how DL feels Holloway ****ed the Kings over. I see it both ways, and I'm not saying I personally think Holloway ****ed LA over -he was a free agent and had the right to do what he did- but DL does hold a grudge and doesn't like to back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy87 View Post

Number of games Holloway played in the AHL for Manchester: 191.
Number of games Voynov played in the AHL for Manchester for getting his first NHL action: 224.

There was a very real chance Holloway would have seen NHL action this year, especially when he had to best Trent Hunter and Ethan Moreau in camp, two players that weren't even brought in until after Holloway left anyways. Odds are Holloway would have had one of their jobs this season. Very shortsighted to say he never play with the Kings.

Last edited by Chazz Reinhold: 03-07-2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: deleted quoted material
Old
03-07-2012, 02:22 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Kid was next in line.
I don't think so.

Quote:
There was a very real chance Holloway would have seen NHL action this year.
DL probably would have called up King and a player like Nolan over him, or at least that's what Bud thought.

Old
03-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't think so.
DL probably would have called up King and a player like Nolan over him, or at least that's what Bud thought.

I agree. King was ahead of Bud down in the AHL and Loki is likely better then both. Nolan is big, tough, and physical. Not sure Bud filled that position on the 4th line.

I'm not sure why people keep posting about him. He's at best a C- prospect that never showed top-6 potential and we don't have a spot on the 3rd line which is what he'd hope to have. I suppose he could have beaten out King this year and yea... I guess he gets to sit around and wonder "what if." Only gets harder next year with King/Loki/Nolan all having NHL experience, Vey figuring things out in the AHL, and TT working his way up from Juniors.

I guess some spots are going to open up on the bottom-6 but who exactly does he beat out?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:33 PM
lafan

Quote:
Yep top five in the SEL and top scorer in the league on power play lol ya lets forget about this guy. congrates Bud

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
I agree. King was ahead of Bud down in the AHL and Loki is likely better then both. Nolan is big, tough, and physical. Not sure Bud filled that position on the 4th line.

I'm not sure why people keep posting about him. He's at best a C- prospect that never showed top-6 potential and we don't have a spot on the 3rd line which is what he'd hope to have. I suppose he could have beaten out King this year and yea... I guess he gets to sit around and wonder "what if." Only gets harder next year with King/Loki/Nolan all having NHL experience, Vey figuring things out in the AHL, and TT working his way up from Juniors.

I guess some spots are going to open up on the bottom-6 but who exactly does he beat out?
It's going to be interesting next year. I really think that the Kings have more than enough depth to go out and sign Parise to a big money deal, since I could easily see a bottom 6 like...
Gagne - Loktionov - Moller/Holloway/King
Holloway/King/Clifford - Lewis/Richardson - Nolan
King/Moller/Clifford

which would not only be very very solid, but talented and dirt cheap. 3rd line is a scoring line obviously, King can be inserted for some extra size to the 3rd or 4th lines. I'd be on board for that. Maybe use a little more size maybe, but with Carter, Brown, Kopitar, Richards in the top 6 as well, we'd still be a fairly big team in general.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-07-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Brodie562

Quote:

because we've seen this before with Purcell and Moulson, thats why people keep posting about it. everyone was ragging on King last year, night and day this year. we could use a homegrown sniper/goalscorer.

Brodie562 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Monarchist

Quote:

A "bottom six" is not necessary.
Sabres once had Vanek, Roy, Afinogenov as their third line.

Richards and Kopitar lines can match up against the best opposing lines.

Why not:

Brown 3.2-Kopitar 6.8-Williams 3.7
King .7-Richards 5.8-Carter 5.3
Gagne 3.5/Holloway .8-Loktionov 1-Moller .8
Clifford .9-Lewis .7-Nolan .5
Westgarth .7 Richardson 1.2

Doughty 7-Mitchell 3.5
Martinez .7-Scuderi 3.4
Voynov .8-Greene 3
Drewskie .6

Quick 1.8
Bernier 1.3