HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

No Suspension for Kronwall

Old
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
briererocks

vCash: 500
No Suspension for Kronwall

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles...1345592016.txt

Can't say I'm surprised. The bs suspension Rinaldo got last time he played the Wings only adds to the stench. How that is not a suspension baffles me. Primary point of contact was the head. Imagine that was a Flyer Rinaldo delivering that hit to Crosby. I wonder what the league's response would be.

There goes any respect I had for the Shanahan. I guess it really will take somebody dying for the NHL to take this crap seriously.

briererocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:46 AM
TOCxNJ

There is no consistency in the NHL.

I love big hits, and I would not have had a problem with this hit if the rules were different. But facts are facts, and the fact is, it's an illegal hit in today's NHL with the rule changes and players have been suspended for much less.

If hits like this will be legal from now on, then I'm fine with it. Just be consistent.

However, if anyone ever gets suspended for a "non elbow to the head" headshot, then something just ain't right with the NHL disciplinarian.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
Rick Deckard

A Panaccio tweet:

Quote:
Voracek uncertain of status for tomorrow. They r watching for concussion. Says hit was clean and his fault

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

https://twitter.com/#!/BroadStBull/s...50347667791872

Quote:
Voracek says it was a clean hit, the type that should not be outlawed. Blamed himself for having his head down. #Flyers
It was a clean legal hit, even Voracek believed so

EDIT: beaten to the punch!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Looked like a clean hit to me...no need for a suspension, Voracek needed to keep his head up and look forward, i understand that the hit was huge and towards the head, but its not like Kronwall skated across ice and leveled him in the head, the reaction time was limited and he was closing in on the puck, not like he's gonna let Voracek blow right by him.

If a flyers Defensemen did this I would have been ecstatic.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:54 AM
John Wayne Gretzky

Good hit, same one Kronwall lands on everyone he plays. Voracek got Kronwall'd and aknowledged it.

Last edited by SnS: 03-07-2012 at 12:03 PM.
John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
Looked like a clean hit to me...no need for a suspension, Voracek needed to keep his head up and look forward, i understand that the hit was huge and towards the head, but its not like Kronwall skated across ice and leveled him in the head, the reaction time was limited and he was closing in on the puck, not like he's gonna let Voracek blow right by him.

I sure as hell will be going forward since I know they won't get suspended.

....sadly I believe if one of our boys dishes out this hit, they'll get suspended.

Hopefully that won't be the case.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
BillDineen

Clean hit to me.

Having said that, I have no respect for the NHL and I 100% believe Rinaldo would have been suspended for the exact same hit.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCxNJ View Post
I sure as hell will be going forward since I know they won't get suspended.

....sadly I believe if one of our boys dishes out this hit, they'll get suspended.

Hopefully that won't be the case.
Seriously. I thought this sort of hit was illegal nowadays. I thought the NHL was trying to get hitting players to stop going for this sort of hit when they have other options. Turns out they aren't, so our players should just go for it.

Before, I would have been upset with one of our defenseman laying out that hit because I would have assumed he had just gotten himself suspended.

03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Looked clean to me, just his head snapped from the hit.

He knows where he got hit. If Voracek said it was clean, it was clean. So good work by Shanny.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post

but would he get suspended?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Clean hit to me.

Having said that, I have no respect for the NHL and I 100% believe Rinaldo would have been suspended for the exact same hit.
This. And Kronwall is still a ***** for backing down from a fight. You gotta know if you knock guys out you have to fight after or you're just gonna look like a coward to the rest of the league.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Looked clean to me, just his head snapped from the hit.

He knows where he got hit. If Voracek said it was clean, it was clean. So good work by Shanny.
As I stated last night. It was a good hit. I did not like the contact to the head area. But Jake put himself in that position. Its hockey, move on.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
This. And Kronwall is still a ***** for backing down from a fight. You gotta know if you knock guys out you have to fight after or you're just gonna look like a coward to the rest of the league.
That is why I dislike the instigator rule. Back in the day you could not run and hide.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That is why I dislike the instigator rule. Back in the day you could not run and hide.
Back in the day you didn't have to fight after a clean hit. I am happy that Kronwall didn't fight after, he knew it was a clean hit and knew he didn't have to fight someone because of it. There is no reason people should need to fight after a clean hit at all. IMO people who initiate a fight after a clean hit should get a double minor for their stupidity.

So happy that no suspension happneded, as that was a perfectly clean hit, the onus is on Voracek to not put himself in that position. He knew where Kronwall was and knows what he can do yet still put his head down and he admits so.

Yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
Sorry, to me, this is crap. Rinaldo barely touched Ericsson a few weeks ago and gets suspended. Kronwall targets the head (intentional or not) and gets nothing. He should have at least be fined.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Prongo
Beer

delete had you confused with someone else.... sorry

It was the damn avatar

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:26 PM
hockeyfreak7

And it was the right call by Shanny.

Voracek put himself in that position-- it's not Kronwall's job to protect an opponent who puts himself at risk.

The distinction that I think should be made by the NHL is that this is a hockey play. The head was not targeted-- instead, the head was the principal point of contact, but there was no intent from Kronwall.

Kronwall took no additional strides, no jump, no elbow, and did not specifically target the head. With that being established, the result of the hit is now up to Voracek's actions.

As Jake has already said, the hit was clean and it was 'his fault'. I dont necessarily agree that it was his fault (I dont think it was anybody's fault), but as a hockey player, Jake understand the dangers of having your head down at the blue line. Anybody who has played hockey competitively knows that a defenseman will try to stand you up at the blue line more often than not. Unfortunately for Jake, he had to fish for the puck as it lost steam on the wrap, allowing Kronwall to take advantage of his unawareness.

It was a great hockey play, and it is certainly not one that the NHL should be removing from the game.

The bottom line is that you cant penalize Kronwall for a play that Voracek made happen. If Voracek isnt leaning over, he doesnt catch that hit square in the face. That alone is enough to absolve Kronwall of any blame, imo.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
MsWoof

Voracek has accepted blame and will hopefully learn from it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:30 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
but would he get suspended?
Mike Richards nailed booth a few years back with an elbow...no suspension. I know that was a few years ago, but there isn't some bias...

IMO keep your arms down and you are fine with hits...Elbows and forearms are what get you in trouble.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Eh, I think it was clean. But, I also thought the Rinaldo hit on Ericsson was clean and that got two games. That's really the only thing that bothers me. The huge differences in suspensions are really starting to get irritating.

Also, Kronwall should have dropped the gloves with someone. When you lay a borderline hit, it's better to just fight and end it right there. Instead, it builds and builds until someone does something really stupid out of anger. (Bertuzzi/Moore incident)

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Mgkibbles

I think any hit to the head should be banned, but that's big of Voracek to admit he put himself in a bad spot.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

1. In my opinion itīs a good clean hit and i love to see this style of hockey, because that is what makes this sport as unique at it is. I donīt love a Flyer suffered from a hit like that of course, but Voracek isnīt really good in taking his head up. I realize it throughout the season and he gets hit hard every 5 games. So he must learn to avoid this situation.

2. Voracek takes his head down, why the hell did he do that. Kronwall normaly would have knock him shoulder to shoulder if Voracek had his head up. So why can this be a dirty check? Or a headhunter?

3. Iīam really sure that Rinaldo, Carcillo, Asham, Shelley or any other Flyer in the past 5 Seasons would get a suspension out of the same hit. That is what make me really mad!!

4. But why the hell did no one response to that hit. I donīt care if itīs legal or not. I donīt care if Voracek is seriously hurt or not. Stand up for your teammate and punch the **** out of your Opponent. If this team donīt start to play hard without looking at the game and maybe the risk of more penalties and maybe a loss, they will get ****ed in playoffs like last year. Boston, Penguins and New York Ranger will use us as punching balls.... We are not tough enough and all the other teams noticed that.

This check is just the beginning, mark my words...........

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Good hit. If he hopped right back up no one would have said a word except, "What a great hit!"

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Mike Richards nailed booth a few years back with an elbow...no suspension. I know that was a few years ago, but there isn't some bias...

IMO keep your arms down and you are fine with hits...Elbows and forearms are what get you in trouble.
I agree with you that there isn't a bias, but you can't compare it to the Richards hit, since when the rules were changed and the suspensions are now handed out by Shanahan not Campbell.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote