HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Seth Jones - Portland Winterhawks (2013 Draft)

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
I think you are naive in the fact that you think a scholarship is "4 years", as they are only 1 year and are renewed. If Seth leaves after one season...that scholarship is free'd up the next season. No harm, no foul.
Maybe, but I look at that you go to college for an education first. But I know the NCAA isn't about education on the sports side

Old
03-07-2012, 11:56 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
Maybe, but I look at that you go to college for an education first. But I know the NCAA isn't about education on the sports side
People are going to look out for themselves. If he spends a year at UND then jumps to the NHL...hey look, he's got 30 some college credits that will help him if he somehow craps out completely in his pro career and needs to get a degree/job to support himself afterwards. Sounds like a pretty big win/win to me.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
People are going to look out for themselves. If he spends a year at UND then jumps to the NHL...hey look, he's got 30 some college credits that will help him if he somehow craps out completely in his pro career and needs to get a degree/job to support himself afterwards. Sounds like a pretty big win/win to me.
Considering he is going to be a top 3 pick and get a 10 millon dollar contract from it I don't think he has to worry about that too much. This isn't some poor kid from the Ghetto

Old
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Considering he is going to be a top 3 pick and get a 10 millon dollar contract from it
Well, with these things guaranteed, why even bother playing hockey in the next 16 months?

Old
03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Well, with these things guaranteed, why even bother playing hockey in the next 16 months?
ah yes Dynamo AO...

Great contribution to the thread.

Why would a top prospect play hockey for the 2 years leading up to his draft? Great point. He's obviously going to sign a multi million dollar contract in 2 years anyways. Why slug it out in College hockey or some nowhere city in Western Canada?

Great point i've never thought about this.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:17 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
ah yes Dynamo AO...

Great contribution to the thread.

Why would a top prospect play hockey for the 2 years leading up to his draft? Great point. He's obviously going to sign a multi million dollar contract in 2 years anyways. Why slug it out in College hockey or some nowhere city in Western Canada?

Great point i've never thought about this.
I'm glad you wasted all that effort when my post was literally only saying, "nothing is guaranteed". I understand if that was hard to get however.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:19 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

because everyone knows you can't go to university unless you go right away for at least one year

Old
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
because everyone knows you can't go to university unless you go right away for at least one year
Which of course makes a BOAT load of sense when you can kill two birds with one stone instead.

I loves me a good ole CHL vs NCAA thread with HFBoards posters. It's like a bad 80s sitcom re-run marathon.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Joe Hallenback

What I am saying is if the idea of college is to get an education and there is limited spots availble to attend would it not be better served by someone who actually wants an education? Somene who isn't going to bolt at the first sign of pro contract?

Old
03-07-2012, 01:30 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
What I am saying is if the idea of college is to get an education and there is limited spots availble to attend would it not be better served by someone who actually wants an education? Somene who isn't going to bolt at the first sign of pro contract?
If that is a serious concern for either a coach or a player, they can just delay the enrollment of another defenseman for a year if they know Seth is going to bolt after one year. UND gets Seth for a year, the unknown commodity kid still gets a 4 year scholarship! Are Canadians really that much against Education?

Old
03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Joe Hallenback

Quote:
If that is a serious concern for either a coach or a player, they can just delay the enrollment of another defenseman for a year if they know Seth is going to bolt after one year. UND gets Seth for a year, the unknown commodity kid still gets a 4 year scholarship! Are Canadians really that much against Education?
Actually if you read what I am saying, I am more for education. Seth Jones isn't going to UND for education, he is going there because he believes it will better his hockey career.

If you are truly concerned about education you would suggest that Seth Jones spend 4 years at UND and get a degree before he chanced a NHL career. He won't be there more than a year and in the mean time some kid that could have been at UND isn't able to attend.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:41 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Actually if you read what I am saying, I am more for education. Seth Jones isn't going to UND for education, he is going there because he believes it will better his hockey career.

If you are truly concerned about education you would suggest that Seth Jones spend 4 years at UND and get a degree before he chanced a NHL career. He won't be there more than a year and in the mean time some kid that could have been at UND isn't able to attend.

I'm suggesting that Seth Jones does what Seth Jones wants and what's in the best interest of Seth Jones. I'm not an "NCAA" guy or a "CHL" guy. To even think one way or another is "better" for him, right now, is just dumb. If he is the sure shot that many people think he is(and as someone who has actually seen him live on a number of occasions, I do) he could go play in the NAHL and still be a great player. This "better for his development" stuff that NCAA/CHL people get into, is just serious "lulz" between people who are either biased or don't understand the sport at the junior-aged level.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM
markrander87

Quote:
I'm glad you wasted all that effort when my post was literally only saying, "nothing is guaranteed". I understand if that was hard to get however.
I know you're not use to it, but I was 100% agreeing with you. Why bother when he can just wait and then sign in the pros?? Why risk an injury?

Old
03-07-2012, 01:49 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Yes, in fact we are so much against education that every WHL/OHL/QMJHL player gets a scholarship from the CHL to pay for schooling after they are done playing hockey. Several of my friends have taken full advantage of this.

Old
03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Yes, in fact we are so much against education that every WHL/OHL/QMJHL player gets a scholarship from the CHL to pay for schooling after they are done playing hockey. Several of my friends have taken full advantage of this.
Wooooooooosh!

Old
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Wooooooooosh!
But hey i'm not a NCAA guy or CHL guy either, like you said: Why should he bother playing the next two years?

Old
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Ginu

I'm Seth Jonessssss

Old
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Which of course makes a BOAT load of sense when you can kill two birds with one stone instead.

I loves me a good ole CHL vs NCAA thread with HFBoards posters. It's like a bad 80s sitcom re-run marathon.
lol that doesn't refute the fact you can still go later so why act as if it's a safer route than the CHL because of education?

schedule classes around hockey

priorities in line.

Old
03-07-2012, 07:20 PM
USA!

Seth has set himself up well here. He will finish highschool this year can play at UND and start his higher edu or play in the WHL.. Im sure Seth and his parents will do what they feel what is rite for him. Both are solid options for Seth..

Old
03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
ness180

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA! View Post
Seth has set himself up well here. He will finish highschool this year can play at UND and start his higher edu or play in the WHL.. Im sure Seth and his parents will do what they feel what is rite for him. Both are solid options for Seth..
^ Exactly. As I said earlier, it doesn't matter where he goes. CHL or NCAA. I have no doubt in my mind he'll excel in either the NCAA or CHL.

The whole CHL vs. NCAA talk is pointless because either way, they'll both prepare him for the NHL just the same. Especially so if he really does intend to only play 1 year before going pro.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Mustangs

Send a message via MSN to Mustangs
IF I were him I would pick the NCAA. Why... the girls!

Old
03-08-2012, 12:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
IF I were him I would pick the NCAA. Why... the girls!
How is that any different from the CHL?

The players I know in the WHL have ZERO problem in that area...

Plus, I would imagine CHL guys would be more well known around respective cities than guys on a campus in the US.

Old
03-08-2012, 12:59 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Plus, I would imagine CHL guys would be more well known around respective cities than guys on a campus in the US.
lol, perhaps if he were a 5'11" cornfed, white boy...he might blend in and be "unknown" in Grand Forks.

A 6'5" Black guy wearing "Sioux Hockey"(or Fighting Green Beans...whatever the name will be...) sweats....walking around in North Dakota? Yea...people will know who he is. lol.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Especially considering how far along he is in his development. He's a damn good player and would be a good candidate to play in the NHL following his draft in 2013.
Jones is nowhere near NHL ready. He's not even near AHL ready. From a pro hockey perspective, he's easily 20lbs underweight for his frame and that is weight that he is going to have to put on and carry.

He's a top prospect for his draft year but NHL in 13-14?

Given his present stage of development, no way.

Old
03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges7 View Post
Jones is nowhere near NHL ready. He's not even near AHL ready. From a pro hockey perspective, he's easily 20lbs underweight for his frame and that is weight that he is going to have to put on and carry.

He's a top prospect for his draft year but NHL in 13-14?

Given his present stage of development, no way.
His weight is the one red flag I've seen in him as well.

Pretty much every kid in the NDTP is very well built, Jones seems to be the exception. Even Lane is solid for his height.

Closed Thread