HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto @ Pittsburgh - 7:30 E - TSN, NBCSN (HD), RDSI (HD) - The Clock Keeps Tickin'

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I think Reimer should've got the start just because we have to travel and we're on a back to back.
He hasn't played very much, and I know it's a back to back... But gus plays a lot better when he plays a string of games in a row.... let him play the next 3 or so games and see where it gets us, IMO of course....

Old
03-07-2012, 12:33 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
He hasn't played very much, and I know it's a back to back... But gus plays a lot better when he plays a string of games in a row.... let him play the next 3 or so games and see where it gets us, IMO of course....
Thing is, we play a game Saturday, then again on Sunday. So he'd have played 4 games in a row, both on back to backs. That's a lot for a goalie who hardly played 3 straight games (barring injury) when Wilson was here.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
SteveV*

vCash: 500
Funny how the consensus is that Gus is gone at the end of the year and Reimer will stay as a backup to whomever they manage to get. And YET, Reimer can't even take the job from the guy we are going to let go because he isn't good enough.

Burke said he had a deal for Reimer, I'd dump that contract and sign Gus as a backup, bring in an experienced starter. Unless Gus won't stay, the fact he is playing back to back despite a loss tells us all we need about Reimer as a goalie.

BTW I do think GUS>REIMER

Old
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Funny how the consensus is that Gus is gone at the end of the year and Reimer will stay as a backup to whomever they manage to get. And YET, Reimer can't even take the job from the guy we are going to let go because he isn't good enough.

Burke said he had a deal for Reimer, I'd dump that contract and sign Gus as a backup, bring in an experienced starter. Unless Gus won't stay, the fact he is playing back to back despite a loss tells us all we need about Reimer as a goalie.
Go tell me which "experienced" starter you'd sign that will be a UFA goalie.

Also, how can Reimer not steal the job when he hasn't had the chance yet? He hasn't played a game for Carlyle yet.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:36 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Go tell me which "experienced" starter you'd sign that will be a UFA goalie.

Also, how can Reimer not steal the job when he hasn't had the chance yet? He hasn't played a game for Carlyle yet.
Oh, okay, there's this thing called a "trade", go look it up.

Reimer has had chances all season.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:

That's the problem. The price for experienced goalies is very high right now. Edmonton wanted a first for Khabibulin. That's huge for an inconsistent goaltender.

Reimer's had his chances all season with Wilson's system and has gotten hung out to dry on numerous occasions (recent memory brings me back to the huge game against Florida).

I'm surprised that Carlyle isn't giving Reimer a chance to see how he does with the team playing like this. And IMO, he'd do a lot better because the team is playing better and not giving any 2 on 1s or other odd man rushes.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm a big fan of Gus, but if we keep him... It shouldn't be for a back-up job. Gus plays so much better after a string of games, he has higher potential.... But IMO it's starter or bust for him. I don't think he'd play very good if we played him every 5th or so game.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:

Is it a fact that Gustavsson is starting again?

I think the consensus that Gustavsson is gone at the end of the year is because that's where the evidence points. Reimer is signed, young, has shown great potential.

IMO right now both Goalies are about equal with neither having been very good.

Old
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
I'm a big fan of Gus, but if we keep him... It shouldn't be for a back-up job. Gus plays so much better after a string of games, he has higher potential.... But IMO it's starter or bust for him. I don't think he'd play very good if we played him every 5th or so game.
That's a good point, he does seem to play better with more work.

Bottomline though, we aren't going with either of these guys as starter next year, Burke will do something.

Old
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

@HennyTweets
Mike brown says he's good to go which will likely put carter ashton's debut on hold tonight in pittsburgh.#leafs

Old
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:

It's a tad premature to give up on a 2nd year goalie.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:41 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Is it a fact that Gustavsson is starting again?

I think the consensus that Gustavsson is gone at the end of the year is because that's where the evidence points. Reimer is signed, young, has shown great potential.
I thought it was confirmed?

Yes, it probably is the signing, but that's a big pricetag for a backup.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
It's a tad premature to give up on a 2nd year goalie.
You're sure as ****t not going into next year thinking this is your starter.

Old
haayward

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaskY View Post
He hasn't played very well against us.
That's just false. I'm not gunna go dig up the tweet now but one of the leafs reports tweeted the career highest PPG against the leafs, Lemieux @ 2.00, Malkin @ 2.00 then Gretzky was in there and Crosby and Ovi. He's a man on fire this year and it'll be quite the test for the team tonight.

EDIT: Found it. It's gon' get ugly tonight.

Kevin Gibson ‏ @TSNResearch
Highest Pts-Per-Game (min 15GP) vs TML (1991-92 to Pres) Lemieux-2.00, Malkin-2.00, Gretzky-1.88, Ovechkin-1.62, Lindros-1.61

Last edited by haayward: 03-07-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Found the tweet.
Old
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam50 View Post
@HennyTweets
Mike brown says he's good to go which will likely put carter ashton's debut on hold tonight in pittsburgh.#leafs
...and...

Quote:
@HennyTweets
Joey crabb sits out if carter ashton plays and that will be a game time decision. Gut instinct tells me ashton plays.#leafs

Old
03-07-2012, 12:46 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I thought it was confirmed?

Yes, it probably is the signing, but that's a big pricetag for a backup.
Who's starting seems to be a mystery.

Not sure what he makes but I think he would be more like the Goalie in waiting than a backup.

I think Burke will bring in a Starter for next year but I also thought he'd bring a Vet in for this year.

Old
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Quote:
You're sure as ****t not going into next year thinking this is your starter.
Wasn't recommending that, but trading him would be a bad move IMO. Sign a veteran goalie who can handle the load... see how Reimer responds.

Old
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by haayward View Post
That's just false. I'm not gunna go dig up the tweet now but one of the leafs reports tweeted the career highest PPG against the leafs, Lemieux @ 2.00, Malkin @ 2.00 then Gretzky was in there and Crosby and Ovi. He's a man on fire this year and it'll be quite the test for the team tonight.

EDIT: Found it. It's gon' get ugly tonight.

Kevin Gibson ‏ @TSNResearch
Highest Pts-Per-Game (min 15GP) vs TML (1991-92 to Pres) Lemieux-2.00, Malkin-2.00, Gretzky-1.88, Ovechkin-1.62, Lindros-1.61
This. It seems like Malkin doesn't do good against us, but he always seems to get points. Remember last game when a minute left and the puck hit his glove and went in? That's just the kind of bounces this guy gets against us.. He'll likely torch us somehow tonight. He's absolutely unbelievable.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
That's the problem. The price for experienced goalies is very high right now. Edmonton wanted a first for Khabibulin. That's huge for an inconsistent goaltender.

Reimer's had his chances all season with Wilson's system and has gotten hung out to dry on numerous occasions (recent memory brings me back to the huge game against Florida).

I'm surprised that Carlyle isn't giving Reimer a chance to see how he does with the team playing like this. And IMO, he'd do a lot better because the team is playing better and not giving any 2 on 1s or other odd man rushes.
Again, we are NOT going with this tandem next year, no doubt about it, so whatever the price is, Burke will pay it. The organization is showing no confidence in Reimer, here we have a guy who is apparently gone, NO contract talks at all, and he's playing ahead of the guy we are supposedly grooming, with the contract? Speaks volumes, we will get another goalie, maybe not a 10 year vet, but someone who looks like a starter with some experience at the very least. I think that's a given bro.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Expecting a big game from Kulemin. Hoping that if he plays with Bozak and Kessel it could help him find the score sheet!
yes! most definitely hoping Carlyle realizes Kulemin-Bozak-Kessel had success last season and plays them together.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Wasn't recommending that, but trading him would be a bad move IMO. Sign a veteran goalie who can handle the load... see how Reimer responds.
I'm okay with him as the backup, but man that is a lot for a guy who will play 25 games. We wil need a fairly cheap option for the starter gig.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Again, we are NOT going with this tandem next year, no doubt about it, so whatever the price is, Burke will pay it. The organization is showing no confidence in Reimer, here we have a guy who is apparently gone, NO contract talks at all, and he's playing ahead of the guy we are supposedly grooming, with the contract? Speaks volumes, we will get another goalie, maybe not a 10 year vet, but someone who looks like a starter with some experience at the very least. I think that's a given bro.
I'm not arguing that we don't need the veteran presence. I'm just questioning where it comes from. I'm hoping we can swindle a deal with Minnesota, give up Schenn and get Harding plus one of their top 6 forwards (not Heatley). They need help defensively, Schenn would help and we need goaltending and a top 6 guy. Could work out.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
I'm not arguing that we don't need the veteran presence. I'm just questioning where it comes from. I'm hoping we can swindle a deal with Minnesota, give up Schenn and get Harding plus one of their top 6 forwards (not Heatley). They need help defensively, Schenn would help and we need goaltending and a top 6 guy. Could work out.
That's not a bad proposal at all.

I'm not saying Reimer can't bounce back, only we can't count it, must make contigency plans for him being a bust.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:54 PM
The Viper
Legolas

vCash: 90
back to back nights, Reimer should be playing tonight, not Gus

plus didn't Carlyle say he doesn't reveal who is starting in games so whoever said Gus starting is just speculating

If Reimer plays tonight and plays great, than we know that it was Wilson's system that was killing him, give him a chance to play for Carlyle

Old
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Harding is not the right goalie for us. I'd much prefer to pay a premium for Schneider.

Closed Thread