HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez refused to go the Islanders

Old
03-06-2012, 06:51 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Meh, way I see it, assuming this is true, Gomez wants no part of NYI and if it came down to it, he must feel habs would buy him out and make him a Free Agent. As a free agent, he can choose the team and end up making more money long term. All he needs to do is sign for a combined 3.333 mil in next 2 years, that's 1.66666 a year to match the 1/3 he'd lose off buyout.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 06:57 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
This isn't "News Article." This is garbage speculation.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I'm wasting my time, but hey, just for fun.

You know what's the funniest thing? His on-ice shooting percentage actually DID regress to the mean exactly as predicted. His on-ice save percentage actually cratered though (it was equal to Plekanec's last year) but under Martin, the Habs didn't score fewer goals 5-on-5 than they did with, say, Plekanec instead.

So why no 60 points? Well, the Corsi-based analysis failed to predict that he'd get hurt three times, that the PP would bomb, and that the coach would design a system that's explicitly designed to forego the greatest strength of his game (carrying the puck through the neutral zone), and use him as a winger before demoting him to the fourth line. And using him more on the PP (where he's never been great before) than at ES (which has always been his strength) in a dysfunctional system that's killing everyone's 5-on-5.

He is really not doing well under Cunneyworth. Now, all the Habs are hurting under RC, but Gomez has done especially poorly, part which should be laid at the feet of the player... but only part.

As for the story, I don't believe it for a second. For one thing I don't think the Habs intended to get rid of Gomez at all, unless they managed to sign Brad Richards. For another, Gomez can specify three teams he does not want to be traded to. I suppose the Islanders are dysfunctional enough that they could conceivably be on that list, but still...
so, in a nutshell... the stats can't predict anything related to the unpredictable nature of human behaviour, which is highly visible in how any given sport season plays out...

perhaps you're finally getting it

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Meh, way I see it, assuming this is true, Gomez wants no part of NYI and if it came down to it, he must feel habs would buy him out and make him a Free Agent. As a free agent, he can choose the team and end up making more money long term. All he needs to do is sign for a combined 3.333 mil in next 2 years, that's 1.66666 a year to match the 1/3 he'd lose off buyout.
He will never be bought out, he will sit in the AHL for the remainder of his career. If this is true he should be sent down immediatly, totally worthless and he should not be around the team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
so, in a nutshell... the stats can't predict anything related to the unpredictable nature of human behaviour, which is highly visible in how any given sport season plays out...
The stats will give you a range of likely outcomes, with higher probabilities to the most likely outcomes, but there's always the small chance of an outlier result. Generally, though, it's unwise to bet on the outliers.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
The stats will give you a range of likely outcomes, with higher probabilities to the most likely outcomes, but there's always the small chance of an outlier result. Generally, though, it's unwise to bet on the outliers.
and absolutely disastrous to mistake "higher probability" with "certainty"... which statistical bias regularly lends itself to.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:53 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
I'm wasting my time, but hey, just for fun.

You know what's the funniest thing? His on-ice shooting percentage actually DID regress to the mean exactly as predicted. His on-ice save percentage actually cratered though (it was equal to Plekanec's last year) but under Martin, the Habs didn't score fewer goals 5-on-5 than they did with, say, Plekanec instead.

So why no 60 points? Well, the Corsi-based analysis failed to predict that he'd get hurt three times, that the PP would bomb, and that the coach would design a system that's explicitly designed to forego the greatest strength of his game (carrying the puck through the neutral zone), and use him as a winger before demoting him to the fourth line. And using him more on the PP (where he's never been great before) than at ES (which has always been his strength) in a dysfunctional system that's killing everyone's 5-on-5.

He is really not doing well under Cunneyworth. Now, all the Habs are hurting under RC, but Gomez has done especially poorly, part which should be laid at the feet of the player... but only part.

As for the story, I don't believe it for a second. For one thing I don't think the Habs intended to get rid of Gomez at all, unless they managed to sign Brad Richards. For another, Gomez can specify three teams he does not want to be traded to. I suppose the Islanders are dysfunctional enough that they could conceivably be on that list, but still...
Why stop there? Break out the vertigo, bad fans, high taxes, bright lights and just for funzies maybe toss a little of Obama is president for an excuse as to why gomez stinks.

Give me a break he even said himself he was goin gto play differently and then did exactly everything that made him suck just like last year, the only difference is now he is being punished and put down instead of being spoonfed all the minutes he can handle.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

He should just GTFO already, and I don't care if it's to NYI or not. I'm of the opinion that it's more likely that he DOES get bought out, because of the freedom UFA would offer him as opposed to toiling in the minors with only the hope of a trade or call-up from the team that got fed up with him to look forward to. It helps Gomez in the end, which, as we know by now, is the modus operandi of Habs management: welcome failure with open arms, as long as Scott Gomez is taken care of, and smile knowing that he is taken care of and catered to so well. He's a good guy, after all.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Do you really think Gainey never saw Gomez play.

If you are on a witch hunt, fine... but at least try be credible.

Gauthier has made some horrible moves. This one was Gainey's. He saw Gomez and miscalculated. No sane GM would make a trade with that much money and that many prospects included without doing his own due diligence.
Witch hunt? Not required.

It is widely acknowledged that Gainey gave a lot of leeway to his managers. He gave them a role, they made the decisions, and GAiney ok'd them.

It does not absolve Gainey, but it was Gauthier's recommendation. There is not much wiggle room around that one.

Saying it was Gauthier's call does not make Gainey innocent. It just shines a light on how good Gauthier is, and exposes a flaw in Gainey's management style.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
shutehinside

I can't imagine PG giving Gome the choice to begin with of NOT accepting a trade to the isles. All he'd have to do is pull what the Lightning did with Boyle and say its the Isles or Hamilton or the ECHL. Gomez would accept the trade right quick.

If this did happen, it was probably more of a scare tactic to motivate Gomez. Seeing as he failed miserably i can't see any possibility I him being asked back next year. This will he his last year as a Hab IMO.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Halifaxhab*

I'm glad he didn't waive his NTC. Unless Tavares was coming back. The return would have been too little to replace what Gomez means to this team and city.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:55 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAlone View Post
Like I give a ****.

This organization deserves to pay for Gomez's contract till the end for being so idiotic.
maybe they do but WE don't

larrypacman8167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:07 PM
sampollock

really who would take this clown,

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:12 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I'm glad he didn't waive his NTC. Unless Tavares was coming back. The return would have been too little to replace what Gomez means to this team and city.

the smiley was unecessary
Gomez is a playmaker!

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 01:36 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypacman8167 View Post
maybe they do but WE don't
Oh yes we do. Habs fans deserve what's happening right now.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote