HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Suspension for Kronwall

Old
03-07-2012, 01:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
This is something to check out for all those saying "back in the day he would have to answer the bell for a hit like this". Same type of hits most actually a lot worse and no stupid you hurt my boyfriend squabble afterwards.

Standing up for a teammate as he's laying unconscious on the ice doesn't apply to "you hurt my boyfriend" squabble. I'm surprised a lot of fans have difficulty comprehending this, they must not have ever played a team sport.

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Swiper the Fox

JV has his head down looking at the puck and as such, I don't have a problem with the "hit"

I do see a problem where a player shows a total lack of respect to the player
who is vulnerable
clearly his intent was to injure , not just stop or hinder the players movement.

Swiper the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
crashnburnluder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post
This is something to check out for all those saying "back in the day he would have to answer the bell for a hit like this". Same type of hits most actually a lot worse and no stupid you hurt my boyfriend squabble afterwards.

Thank you for posting this. It was a clean hit, the NHL said so, and Vorachk said so. Now a days anything this is considered a big hit is answered with 5 guys jumping the player. Props on Kronwall and the Wings not fighting and drawing the Power Play. "Back in the day" you laid a good solid clean hit, you didn't have to answer for it. If you did it wasn't cause you were jumped. You were asked to fight later for it and if you could handle a fight you accepted. It was the dirty hits that were responded to back in the day and thats how it should be.

crashnburnluder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:10 PM
stygian16*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourself View Post
Back in the day you didn't have to fight after a clean hit. I am happy that Kronwall didn't fight after, he knew it was a clean hit and knew he didn't have to fight someone because of it.
Amen

stygian16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:11 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Clear violation of Rule 48, but Shanny was a Wing, so can we really expect him to get it right? Doubtful...

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
crashnburnluder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiper the Fox View Post
JV has his head down looking at the puck and as such, I don't have a problem with the "hit"

I do see a problem where a player shows a total lack of respect to the player
who is vulnerable
clearly his intent was to injure , not just stop or hinder the players movement.
so, Rinadlo didn't do the same? Im not saying Rinaldo's suspension was warrented, according to Shannahan he said he left his feet when he didn't have to. I do blame Ericsson for admiring his pass.

The object of a check is to separate the man from the puck and thats what he did. If you want a suspension for every hit where a player is Vulnerable then might as well take fighting out. I don't see any point in it except for injuring the guy? (I do not want fighting removed for the record, just comparing apples to apples. If you want all intent to injure removed then big hits are gone and so is fighting.) This is hockey these hits happen and can be avoided if the players learned to protect themselves.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:15 PM
crashnburnluder

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted. However, in determining whether such a hit should have been permitted, the circumstances of the hit, including whether the opponent put himself in a vulnerable position immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit or the head contact on an otherwise legal body check was avoidable, can be considered.

Vorachk put him self in a vulnerable position to begin with and if you believe that the best play was for Kronwall to curl away and not touch him because he was afraid to hurt the guy then I don't know what to tell you.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mongusbig View Post
Sure there is. The rule reads:

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent's head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted.....

The rule was written to eliminate hits that are targeting the head instead of the body. Notice the word AND in the rule? An illegal hit is where the head is targetted AND the PPOC. Ala the Matt Cooke style hits of the past where the hitter would deliver the hit to the head mostly, while only delivering a glancing blow to the body, if at all. Hits where the head was the principal target of the hit. That isn't what happened in the Voracek hit. Kronwall was targetting Voracek's body and was lined up perfectly for a body check. Both players were moving in North-South directions, ie head on, not blind-sided. Kronwall contacted the head, but he followed through primarily into the body. It wasn't a case of Kronwall targeting the head and missing the body completely. He lined up his hit with Voracek's body and only contacted the head because Voracek was leaning over, reaching for the puck, while trying to quickly advance the puck up the ice.
Not even going to answer a post from a det fan who just signed up today to post on this subject

Old
03-07-2012, 02:19 PM
crashnburnluder

ignore lol

Old
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
PJStock*

I'm a little dismayed by the Flyers reaction to the hit. Who cares about the instigator, and just throw down on Kronwall. Jump on top of him and KO him. Sometimes the 2 points mean less than just standing up for your teammate and showing other teams that you can't get away with hits like that. Laughable that people still consider this team to be 'tough.' How many more guys have to get injured?

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
B.S. for kronwall not being suspended he saw Voracek had his head down and delivered the hit knowing he would make contact with jake's head.The league says its trying to remove headshot from the game and they let this go great job shanny.I cant wait to see one of the flyers deliver the same hit to a player with his head down and get suspended for it then what everyone will have to say then.Take a run at a player who has his head down hit him in the head with your shoulder thats ok got it shanny..
Agreed. This is a headshot. They are trying to eliminate headshots from the game. You have to be in control of what you are doing. What is Vora going to do? He needs to find the puck. If he looks up he loses it. He is helpless at this point.

You can't hit someone with your stick in the face and draw blood, even if someone else lifts your stick into your opponents face... you are supposed to have control of your stick. Kronwell should have had self control to let up and not hit through Vora.

That the NHL would put this up on its website is the hypocracy (sic) of the year. If someone hit one of the league stars like this do you think they'd be advertising it? If it was a team involved other than the Red Wings, don't you think there would be a suspension and fine?

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Voracek seems ok, said the hit was clean, his fault, and hits like that should remain in the game. That's put me at ease a bit more, because I felt sick and angry when I saw him go down like that last night...
Concussion can appear days later and ya lets keep headshots in the game just stupid...

Old
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
I'm a little dismayed by the Flyers reaction to the hit. Who cares about the instigator, and just throw down on Kronwall. Jump on top of him and KO him. Sometimes the 2 points mean less than just standing up for your teammate and showing other teams that you can't get away with hits like that. Laughable that people still consider this team to be 'tough.' How many more guys have to get injured?
Thats pretty over the top. You never compromise a W for revenge. You find a way to work in some big hits/fights while winning the game. The model of this should be the Islander embarrassing the Penguins last season in every way possible...I would have loved to see Kronwall get his last night, but I was happy with the hits thrown, the team losing their cool and standing up for him, and then regaining their cool and winning the game.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
And that's exactly what was going through Todd Bertuzzi's mind when he KO'd Steve Moore. If you really think a clean hit warrants that type of reaction than you are a pathetic hockey fan.

All these people who claim that the Flyers "should have responded" have absolutely no understanding about the code in hockey. Aggressors are held accountable when they take liberties on players that goes beyond the game of hockey. Kronwall's hit was a hockey play, and it was within the rules. Voracek has acknowledged that fact, and I'm disappointed that more Flyers fans havent either.

Kronwall did not need to take himself out of the game to fight over a clean hit. There's nothing more to it.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:25 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Concussion can appear days later and ya lets keep headshots in the game just stupid...
Where did I say that?

Old
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
crashnburnluder

Quote:
Its impossible to hit a guy with a clean North, South body check when he has his chin buried into his chest?

It is not Kronwalls responsibility to not hit a guy cause he has his head down. It is Vorachks responsibility to keep his head up. If Vorachk is smart and protecting him self he stops on the puck instead of pulling it up to him from behind.

The biggest problem with injuries is freak accidents and players not protecting them selves. Yes you do have the idiots in the league that will check guys from behind when the guy had no chance to be in a safer spot but a lot of times these guys can make a safer play and pick their head up and/or protect themselves.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:26 PM
giraffywaffy

Quote:
Clear violation of Rule 48, but Shanny was a Wing, so can we really expect him to get it right? Doubtful...
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=123678

giraffywaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:41 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Voracek seems ok, said the hit was clean, his fault, and hits like that should remain in the game. That's put me at ease a bit more, because I felt sick and angry when I saw him go down like that last night...
U posted HITS LIKE THAT SHOULD REMAIN IN THE GAME...

It was a hit to the head so u say headshots should remain in the game dude..

Old
03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
U posted HITS LIKE THAT SHOULD REMAIN IN THE GAME...

It was a hit to the head so u say headshots should remain in the game dude..
It was a quote right out of Voracek's mouth, I just didn't quote him. I'd prefer to see them out of the game, but I'd much rather prefer the league to be consistent.

Old
03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
The flyers and the bruins are probably the only teams in the league that understand what a good hit is these days. I'm so sick and fed up of seeing fights for the sake of fights. Grow up, it's hockey, people get hurt. Go and hit the guy with a legal check to make up for it.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffywaffy View Post

Well if what they say is right then why wasnt kronwall suspended his first contact was jake's head.......

Old
03-07-2012, 03:05 PM
giraffywaffy

Quote:
Well if what they say is right then why wasnt kronwall suspended his first contact was jake's head.......
He made full body contact and didn't adjust his body to strike the head. The head wasn't targeted. I believe you need the principle point of contact, as well as a target, for a suspension. According to that video.

Old
03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
exactly, you know there was a backstage phone call that went on there..

if that was Rinaldo on the exact same hit, hes getting a call and multi games FOR SURE !!!

this league is fubared with its discipline...

also if that hit is delivered to say Roo, i bet the outrage here would be 100% complete and epic..

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Droid6

Quote:
Kronwall was playing the body and Voracek dropped to play the puck and did it to himself. Did you watch the video?

Look I understand people saying they don't like hits like this and that's fine. I don't think anyone can argue your opinion as it's yours but for those saying the hit was dirty even after the player that got hit, the league and the leagues example of a clean hit tells you otherwise, you need to re-examine your position a little more.

Droid6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
giraffywaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
exactly, you know there was a backstage phone call that went on there..

if that was Rinaldo on the exact same hit, hes getting a call and multi games FOR SURE !!!

this league is fubared with its discipline...

also if that hit is delivered to say Roo, i bet the outrage here would be 100% complete and epic..
That's funny that you mention this. After Rinaldo slewfooted Parise, he got a call from the league, and they decided not to suspend him after talking with Flyers management, only electing to give him a small fine, in hopes that he can tone it down and change his game around.

Then a week later, he launched himself into Ericsson. He didn't get 2 games for that hit, he got 2 games for the past 2 incidents.

But you can keep shifting your eyes in conspiracy if you'd like.